Coral full transit Sept 23rd....Live? Maybe-Maybe not... Plus Photos

Colo Cruiser

I was not able to hang around until Gatun, hard to imagine that something interfered with Cruise Critic;)!

These next couple of shots are from a vantage point you don't normally get. They are from the Canal's expansion cams Pacific Access Channel (East) which only usually only updates once a day, the Coral just happened to photo bomb it. The camera is located on West bank of the Canal, facing East about half way across Miraflores Lake.

Exiting Miraflores West...

2vi5u08.jpg

Entering Pedro Miguel East...

ejtsux.jpg

Hey all,

After an excellent transit day yesterday here we are in Cartagena.

had a great day in Cartagena, Columbia today. I set up a tour with Lee Miles and although a short port stop (8a-2p) we were able to stop at several places.

There were 8 of us total, 4 with us and 4 from our roll call.

We visited…..

La Popa Ministry

San Felipe Fortress

Plaza Bolivar

Walking tour of the old city

San Pedro Claver Church

We also visited a local restaurant; La Olla Cartagena for lunch.

I had a whole Red Snapper with plantains/brown rice and a Columbian beer Aguila. It was excellent.

Lee has been living in Cartagena for 35 plus years and puts together thorough and intensive tours. He also owns an Emerald store with has very competitive prices.

Our tour was $400 for up to 8 people ($50 PP) with a nice newer 15 passenger van with really good AC which was needed as it was very hot/muggy as its rainy season. (90f).

We had a driver as well as a guide (“Sandy”). He was gracious/funny and very knowledgable about the history of Cartagena.

Outside the terminal area is a fairly new/expanded nature area with Macaws/Monkeys/Flamingo’s/Cockatoos/Owls/Deer/Pheasants/Amazons and many more we did not see. Many are rescue animals with some in large quarintine cages but most were free to come and go as they please especially the parrots/monkeys.

When you leave the ship there are shuttles to take you from the gangway to the terminal or you can walk. Takes about 10 minutes and very safe as far as heavy equipment and traffic. We walked out and back. You walk through the terminal which is a large souvenir store then you walk through the nature area before exiting to the taxi area out front.

Its a beautiful city with lots of history. Many of the old homes in the city have been restored and turned into restaurants/hotels etc. Some date from the 1500-1600’s.

My cough is getting better however its lingering a tad. I will need to make sure I get a handle on this as we leave 12 days after returning from the Coral for Rome and the Island.

Last stop in Aruba tomorrow and once again a half day 1p-6:30p. I say cancel one of the ports and make either 1 or both of these full days. Its really not worth going out and you feel so rushed.

To answer the previous question about Alfredo’s menu, its the short pizza only version. No other extra things.

We sailed about an hour ago. It started thundering/raining as we walked from the terminal to the ship. We are clipping along at about 18 knots and we are wiggling in the water pretty good.

Good thing the Coral is headed to dry dock Jan 16th. Her exterior is beat down bad. The hull paint along the water line really needs to be all done as it takes an extra beating in the canal. We hit the canal wall several times and the locomotive cables really mess up the sides as they use the Promenade deck area forward/aft for securing them. They were closed off during the entire transit so only the sides of the ship were open on the Promenade deck.

The interior is in great shape for the most part. Just the normal wear and tear that I see on all ships.

The toilets have been a major problem. Ours stopped working twice. Today for the third time the entire aft section from the aft elevators back. You could smell it bad in the passageways this morning when we were heading off the ship.

There are new signs taped up near all toilets now with in the cabin and the public bathrooms requesting not to throw large amounts of paper etc or flush more then once if the toilet is not flushing.

I really feel for the Stewards. Ours has the typical 18 cabins but has been really hurting after the first few days of the cruise. He is getting 1 to 2 hours sleep a night with no help. He was working on cabins still at 10:40 last night when we returned from the show. He has been with princess for a few years.

Thats it for now. Tonight Scott Wyler again with a new show.

Wow great pics, BillB48!!

Again, thanks for the live updates, Keith. You've made it a very nice "preview" of a cruise on our wish list. Appreciate the details on tours as well. Enjoy the rest of your vacation! :)

Thomasina

Thanks for posting the great screen shots!

We only needed US $$ in all the ports.

Cartagena the lunch was in Colombian Pesos so we used the CC.

But they will take US $$ too.

I forgot to add that the staff onboard have been excellent as usual.

Always smiling always asking how the day went etc etc.

Very hardworking!!

There was one sourpuss supervisor in the HC that seemed to go out of his way to be in a bad mood, never smiling, never acknowledging a hello or anything else for that matter. This seemed to wear off on at least 1 other of the wait staff that he was supervising. :(

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Keith, Thanks so much for taking the time to post so faithfully. I have a couple of questions about your tour in Cartagena. You mentioned the fort, La Popa, San Pedro Claver Church, etc. Did you actually go to these places or view them from outside? If you went in, was the admittance fee included in your tour price? We are going to Cartagena next April and are starting the planning. What is Lee Miles email addr? :)

Keith, Thanks so much for taking the time to post so faithfully. I have a couple of questions about your tour in Cartagena. You mentioned the fort, La Popa, San Pedro Claver Church, etc. Did you actually go to these places or view them from outside? If you went in, was the admittance fee included in your tour price? We are going to Cartagena next April and are starting the planning. What is Lee Miles email addr? :)

We went inside all but the Fort. It was too busy and we were short on time.

The admission fee was taken (where required) care of at the other locations. ;)

LELAND@MISTEREMERALD.COM

He has a tour website as well. Try googling it. :)

Hey Keith-

Just getting caught up on my reading, and there you are! Doing a live from! Did I ever tell you that it was your live from Alaska that inspired (well, gave me courage) to write my own??

I am very happy to hear that you are on the Coral. We will be doing a partial transit in December. This was one of the last two items on my mom's bucket list. So I am bringing a bit of her with me. :) It is one of the happy/sad things.

I am very glad that I stumbled on your blog. This will help to pass some time. I look very forward to reading more.

Take very good care of the Coral. We will check out your handiwork in 10 short weeks.

Take care and happy sails!

Tracie-Lynn:)

Good evening,

a short visit to Aruba found blazing heat/humidity as well as high winds all afternoon.

After running at 18 plus knots since leaving Cartagena we arrived in Aruba about 1 hour early. Since we have been here quite a few times…..We did not have anything planned so we walked through town and back, that was it.

Came back onboard and grabbed a burger on deck 15. We departed at 7:00pm and are not flying back to Ft Lauderdale. Its rough and we are moving around quite a bit and I can see a lot of white caps, but the smoke from the funnel is just drifting sideways.

Just finished dinner. Had escargot/goat cheese soufflé/lamb chops. With chocolate lovers trio and mignardises for dessert. Very good!

Watched comedian Carl Strong before dinner tonight. He just boarded today. Have seen Carl several times over the last 10 years. The last time being around 2010 or 2011.

He told everyone tonight that he had a heart transplant in May 2013 from a 23 year old donor. He looks very good and as before has tons of onstage energy.

He is an excellent comedian.

Scott Wyler was on again last night and he was gut busting. All new material and everyone was in stitches. He is also very good.

Gary Delena is on again tomorrow night.

I have not been impressed with one young male solo/guitar player/singer (Jonathan Lewis?) that has been in the atrium and also tonight in the Wheelhouse. Did not care for Ray Coussins (Crooners) but he is leaving soon.

The only Atrium act that has been good is the duo with steel drums and keyboard.

Some nights have been a dud with no acts/production shows at all.

Capt. Binetti leaves in Ft Lauderdale. Capt. Andrea Poggi will take over.

I think CD Susan Rawlings contract ends soon but I don’t know who is replacing her. She is very energetic and I see her all over the ship at all hours. She does a great job.

I will call it a night. Thanks for following along!

Hi Tracie! Glad you found it! ;)

Where did you go Keith?!

Hey Andrew!

We arrived home last night. After Aruba we had 2 sea days back to Ft Lauderdale. We just chilled, caught up on laundry and laps on the Promenade.

I think we experienced the hottest temps consistently (90's with high humidity) on this cruise then any other cruise we have taken. It was pretty overwhelming at certain times especially for DW's parents. We took in Gary Delena's comedy show again on Tues. night and comedian Carl Strong again on Wednesday night.

One solo guitar/singer was not good. Jonathan Lewis was in the Atrium and the Wheelhouse.

The Coral will be entering dry dock Jan 16th. The one major job that is scheduled is reconstructing Sabatini's into the new cuisine location. Pretty sad but it has been around awhile. Other then that it will be the normal maintenance that will be carried out. Hull/carpeting etc. Its a 2 week dry dock.

We took in many shows in the Universe Lounge. Although not great site lines from the upper balcony area we really like that venue and relieved that at least for now they will not gut it too.

Well thanks for following along with me. :)

Colo Cruiser, thanks for the live-from. Great info for some of us "hope to do that someday folks".

BTW, Norris, aka Bimmer09, is wondering where you are. He has a nice Mediterranean cruise review going now.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2266598

We always appreciate all of you folks that do any sort of report, before, during or after. Thanks again!!

Edited by ar1950

Keith,

Thank you for the update about the Coral's dry dock in January. We are sailing on her first voyage after this dry dock. I suspected it was just to change the specialty restaurant and do some sprucing up. So glad that for now they aren't doing the major changes they did to the Island.

Thanks for the wonderful live post, Keith. I really enjoyed it. The full transit is one of my favorite cruises. We, too, had really hot temps and high humidity on our West to East run.

Get some rest before you take off again. :D

Cheers, Denise