Fort Lauderdale Hotels

Mokescaps

Looking for hotel reasonaly priced for Jan. 8th. One nite before cruise.

With airport shuttle. Most hotels I'm looking at are $250-$300 a nite.

Anything cheaper with airport pickup?

Skip the shuttle, it will limit you.

That time of year, that price range is reasonable.

Look at Hotwire for hotels in the FLL airport area. You should come in under $200.

For Blue Herron et al to assist, what are the dates required?

For our part, we favour The Pillars or The Hilton Diplomat (previously Westin)

You can not go wrong with either for a wonderful stay for two or thee days pre-cruise

Edited by PORT ROYAL

I am there for 2 nights before my cruise)Jan 8th and 9th)...booked the Days inn and then the Ramada fort Lauderdale..both were around $100/night or less when I booked. Both have airport shuttle but not sure about port shuttle as I always take a cab directly.

Rates are the highest out of any port I have stayed at or ever cruised from. 2 nights in some hotels is more than my whole cruise.....wont be staying in FLL again based on what I have seen so far.

Check every hotel searchsite you can think of and hopefully find a deal on one of them.

Good luck!

Edited by monctonguy

I am there for 2 nights before my cruise)Jan 8th and 9th)...booked the Days inn and then the Ramada fort Lauderdale..both were around $100/night or less when I booked. Both have airport shuttle but not sure about port shuttle as I always take a cab directly.

Rates are the highest out of any port I have stayed at or ever cruised from. 2 nights in some hotels is more than my whole cruise.....wont be staying in FLL again based on what I have seen so far.

Check every hotel searchsite you can think of and hopefully find a deal on one of them.

Good luck!

Don't you see any red flags when booking a hotel for $100 when even moderate hotels start at around $200?

Both are dismal, miserable motels and the Days Inn is in a horrible location. High crime rate.

South Florida in season is very expensive. You aren't going to find better deals in Miami or New York. Baltimore maybe.

Edited by BlueHerons

Don't you see any red flags when booking a hotel for $100 when even moderate hotels start at around $200?

Both are dismal, miserable motels and the Days Inn is in a horrible location. High crime rate.

South Florida in season is very expensive. You aren't going to find better deals in Miami or New York. Baltimore maybe.

And as hard as it may be to believe, cruisers aren't the only people booking hotel rooms in Fort Lauderdale or Miami. In fact, I'm guessing that most just fly in/out day of. The smart ones :p on cruise critic know to fly in at least a day early.

And as hard as it may be to believe, cruisers aren't the only people booking hotel rooms in Fort Lauderdale or Miami. In fact, I'm guessing that most just fly in/out day of. The smart ones :p on cruise critic know to fly in at least a day early.

In fact they are a small percentage of our visitors even though Fort Lauderdale is the busiest cruise ship port in the world.

Europeans think nothing of booking the Riverside Hotel in February for 21 days at $400 a night.

Cruisers spend much less money than most of our tourists. I was speaking to someone from the CVB (http://www.Sunny.org) and they said cruisers spend about 25% of what other tourists spend.

It was a shocking figure.

That figure doesn't shock me. Cruisers put their money on the cruise, plus drinks onboard, excursions, gambling, etc. For me personally, I try to limit what I spend getting to and from the ship so as to optimize what I can spend on the cruise itself.

Roz

Consider staying in Plantation, 7 or 8 miles inland from cruise port. Get a flat rate shuttle for about $35 for you and your travel mate from hotel to the cruise port and you'll still save money as quality hotels are a lot cheaper than at the port or on the beach. Decent restaraunts and shopping available as well.

Yup..this is prob one of the main reasons I wont be cruising out of FLL again.

When 2 nights in hotels is MORE than my cruise, something is wrong. And seeing as I pay 2-300% more in flights to get to the port than most Americans, and then add on the almost 40% loss on the exchange rate, I have to get savvy on my hotel stays or there just wont be any cruising for me in the future.

So if all FLL can offer me for $150 night is crime and dumpy hotels, its not a place I will be back to or recommend for anyone else who travels like myself. I cruise often and visit the Caribbean often and so far FLL is looking like the most disappointing of anywhere in the world I have been based on responses here.

I have stayed in Orlando, Tampa and Cocca Beach and have a stay coming up in Miami, and always book between $100-$150/night with no hotel issues yet.

Edited by monctonguy

Yup..this is prob one of the main reasons I wont be cruising out of FLL again.

When 2 nights in hotels is MORE than my cruise, something is wrong. And seeing as I pay 2-300% more in flights to get to the port than most Americans, and then add on the almost 40% loss on the exchange rate, I have to get savvy on my hotel stays or there just wont be any cruising for me in the future.

So if all FLL can offer me for $150 night is crime and dumpy hotels, its not a place I will be back to or recommend for anyone else who travels like myself. I cruise often and visit the Caribbean often and so far FLL is looking like the most disappointing of anywhere in the world I have been based on responses here.

I have stayed in Orlando, Tampa and Cocca Beach and have a stay coming up in Miami, and always book between $100-$150/night with no hotel issues yet.

Sorry...you feel this way. Just an option you might want to consider if ever needing a hotel in Fort Lauderdale again is:

Hyatt Place (great hotel, location and amenities).

Usually a good deal at $99.00 per night using:

www.valuetrips.com

Best of luck wherever you choose to vacation. :)

How was I rude?

There are millions who come here all year long and spend lots of money.

Cruisers in general don't spend money.

At least we aren't like Key West where they are very vocal in their dislike of cruisers.

You don't have to convince me on resorts where you spend money, your post speaks volumes.

And I was the one who discouraged you from the Ramada and Days Inn probably saving you from being a victim of crime.

I, along with many other Cruisers, do stay at hotels by choice. This selection is based on the quality that we wish to stay with, and not the lowest possible price. Also we spend in stores, restaurants, bars, and cabs etc.

After all, a pre-cruise hotel et al, is an intrinsic part of our vacation experience. But, most importantly, our Ladies deserve to be throughly spoilt and pampered.

Hotel rates in beach resort cities always rise in winter peak months. Not sure what you are complaining about. It's a fact that Ft. L /Miami and others can double (or more) during the winter months' date=' festivals, marathons etc. We are [i']all[/i] in the same boat here. ;)

With the U.S. economy doing better for many, more people are heading south again on top of the foreigners who spend winters in Fl. So indeed the rates for hotels have gone up over the last two winters to the "normal". No more discounts and deals. But no reason to diss Fort Lauderdale as a never again city.

Another option, besides cruising out of a different port, to avoid high costs, is to travel in shoulder seasons when hotels (and cruise ships) have more vacancies. We choose Ft. Lauderdale because of its amenities. We prefer beach life coming from the Midwest in winter. It is part of our vacation experience, so don't want just- a -bed. We want "the whole life". We know what we need to budget for to get that in Jan. and Feb.

Join and use LMTclub.com and you will find better pricing for nicer hotels. Looking at only the cheapest will leave you taking cabs for meals or to get you to city areas where there is something to do/see.

Good luck.

We are going on Celebrity on January 2. I started looking for a hotel early. The prices have continued to rise to almost double what I booked. I currently have Hampton Inn Airport Cruise Port South for $159.xx using my husband's government contractor rate. I made sure I verified he could use this rate prior to booking and have confirmation in writing from the hotel (this is the first time we have used this rate and I didn't want a surprise at check-in). Now the rate is up to $350+. I do keep checking.

The Hilton MVP program does have good rates. Also there is the Holiday Inn Friends and Family program. If you search that you will see links pop up under different names. I have used several times with no issue. The only thing you need to do with that is print a certificate and you have to pay ahead and no refunds.

We are going on Celebrity on January 2. I started looking for a hotel early. The prices have continued to rise to almost double what I booked. I currently have Hampton Inn Airport Cruise Port South for $159.xx using my husband's government contractor rate. I made sure I verified he could use this rate prior to booking and have confirmation in writing from the hotel (this is the first time we have used this rate and I didn't want a surprise at check-in). Now the rate is up to $350+. I do keep checking.

The Hilton MVP program does have good rates. Also there is the Holiday Inn Friends and Family program. If you search that you will see links pop up under different names. I have used several times with no issue. The only thing you need to do with that is print a certificate and you have to pay ahead and no refunds.

You are very smart! We try and warn cruisers that prices will not drop during peak season and the time gets closer but will only rise.

Pat yourself on the back for getting such a good deal!

You are very smart! We try and warn cruisers that prices will not drop during peak season and the time gets closer but will only rise.

Pat yourself on the back for getting such a good deal!

Thanks. My husband makes fun of me, but over the years I have learned to plan. I know I can cancel and rebook hotels and cars all the time!

We are flying into FLL and cruising out of FLL. My son is trying to surprise his wife with the cruise and telling her we are going to the beach only. We will be flying in the night before. Any suggestions on a hotel on the beach near the port and what the best transportation would be best? If it wasn't a surprise I would choose to stay at the airport and only need a shuttle to port. It's her first cruise and two of their three children.

We are flying into FLL and cruising out of FLL. My son is trying to surprise his wife with the cruise and telling her we are going to the beach only. We will be flying in the night before. Any suggestions on a hotel on the beach near the port and what the best transportation would be best? If it wasn't a surprise I would choose to stay at the airport and only need a shuttle to port. It's her first cruise and two of their three children.

The hotel we can recommend with direct beach access near the port, is Marriott Beach & Harbour. Hotel has rooms with both sea and cruise port views. We prefer sea. Transfer by a taxi to the port.