Speaking of chair hogs...

dakrewser

The thread about those who grab loungers early, park their belongings then go off for the day reminded me of one of my pet peeves - chair/table hogs in the Lido.

These come in two types:

1) groups that come in and send one member to find a table and hold it while they graze through the buffet/cafeteria;

and

2) those that stake out a table to sit and chat, do the crossword, read a book, etc. - anything except eat - while the room is crowded and folks are wandering about looking for a place to sit and eat.

In the first instance, I can sit, eat and be gone long before the group has collected all of their food, while in the latter case there are many, many other areas of the ship where reading and other activities can occur without inconveniencing those looking to eat a meal and get on with their life.

It's all about courtesy and consideration - something that's usually in short supply on a cruise.

On another line, the Lido was infested with several tables of inveterate card players. Protests to senior people was ineffective. I took my tray and, with several others in tow headed to the Card Room and sat down to eat. When protest brought a ship's officer, I explained that the Lido tables were occupied by people who would not move.

The card players never showed again.

On another line, the Lido was infested with several tables of inveterate card players. Protests to senior people was ineffective. I took my tray and, with several others in tow headed to the Card Room and sat down to eat. When protest brought a ship's officer, I explained that the Lido tables were occupied by people who would not move.

Good move!

The thread about those who grab loungers early, park their belongings then go off for the day reminded me of one of my pet peeves - chair/table hogs in the Lido.

These come in two types:

1) groups that come in and send one member to find a table and hold it while they graze through the buffet/cafeteria;

and

2) those that stake out a table to sit and chat, do the crossword, read a book, etc. - anything except eat - while the room is crowded and folks are wandering about looking for a place to sit and eat.

In the first instance, I can sit, eat and be gone long before the group has collected all of their food, while in the latter case there are many, many other areas of the ship where reading and other activities can occur without inconveniencing those looking to eat a meal and get on with their life.

It's all about courtesy and consideration - something that's usually in short supply on a cruise.

Courtesy and consideration have to do with a recognition that there are other people in this world. But it's all about "ME" nowadays, rarely about "you" and never about "some other person." And advertising panders to this. A local supermarket chain advertises something like "It's all about food, it's all about service, it's all about YOU."

The personal pronouns--1ist, 2nd, 3rd person are named in the order in which one becomes aware of them. I don't know if it's intentional, or just a coincidence, but the parallel exists. To the infant, it really is all about "me" and what "I" want. They are their own world. But soon they become aware of the presence of someone else. "You" hold me, "you" feed me, etc. Third person awareness, knowing that other people exist, even when you can't see them, comes later. Sadly, too many people are stuck in the infantile stage of First Person.

Well perhaps just a tad bit of an exaggeration as most folks I've had the pleasure to sail with were very courteous and considerate. But, yes we do run into those few who still feel "it is all about me". As pointed out by OleSalt the few that sit in the Lido all day long playing cards annoy me to death particular when it is just two people playing cards at a six top table :eek: while others are frantically looking for a place to sit and eat their meal.

Since there is usually a Table Captain (or whatever HAL calls them) in attendance it should be part of their job to direct those "card players" elsewhere during busy meal time.

Here's a strategy for getting a large table. It works best when there are two available seats at the same table, but two seats at adjacent tables works, too. Sit down and have a gross conversation. Perhaps start with, "I don't know, I mean it doesn't HAVE to be noro, right?"

Love it!!

But with no trays, where did you get them?

I borrowed from RevNeal years ago in an approach he once used for a room problem....

My hotel in UK had a patio below my window with a very loud party going on until the wee hours. At 2 am, after three calls to the front desk, I was told that there was nothing that could be done as the group had all rights to be as loud as they wanted.

Noting the front desk seemed quiet from the phone, I showed up in the lobby in my pjs with a pillow, blanket and alarm clock and commandeered one of the sofas.

After 5 minutes, it was determined that they COULD ask the group to be quiet!

and

I personally have no trouble with the first scenario. The normal routine in any restaurant is to find a table first, then either order your food or, in the case of a buffet, go and serve yourself and return to your table. It's better to have people waiting for a table empty handed than wandering around plates in hand.

As for 2, I couldn't agree more. It's particularly aggravating on port days when you are trying to grab a quick, early breakfast and people are sitting there simply because it's a nice, sheltered area from which to watch the arrival in port.

I borrowed from RevNeal years ago in an approach he once used for a room problem....

My hotel in UK had a patio below my window with a very loud party going on until the wee hours. At 2 am, after three calls to the front desk, I was told that there was nothing that could be done as the group had all rights to be as loud as they wanted.

Noting the front desk seemed quiet from the phone, I showed up in the lobby in my pjs with a pillow, blanket and alarm clock and commandeered one of the sofas.

After 5 minutes, it was determined that they COULD ask the group to be quiet!

Excellent! Did the same on a cruise when after 3 days I still did not have A/C and we were in the so Pacific. Very effective indeed! as we had a new cabin by 9:00 the following morning.

Edited by take us away

As for number 2, I agree with you totally. But for your first point, I disagree. My husband and I have spent hours wandering around the Lido, looking for each other. On at least one occasion, we never found each other and ended up claiming 2 separate tables! Now, on the VERY rare occasion when we enter the Lido, I find a table and sit down....now he knows where I'll be and comes back eventually.

This is why we routinely eat in the Main Dining Room.....oh, and we do like the portion control as well!

Barbara M. In NH

Please consider before casting aspersions. As noted in a previous thread concerning seemingly non handicapped pax using elevators instead of stairs pre tendering, one never knows what someone else's issues are.

I travel solo and try to be as independent as possible; during my first three cruises post accident, I could not stand or walk for any length of time without debilitating pain. I would hobble to the Lido before the serving lines opened to find a seat that would be relatively easy for me to get in and out of, usually sitting there with a crossword puzzle. When the lines opened, I left my glasses, jacket, and puzzle at the seat while I got something to eat. As I was terrified of being jostled and attempting to simultaneously manage a plate and a cane, it often took several minutes to return to my seat. Sometimes, when the Lido was packed, I needed to wait until the crowd thinned a bit before I could leave.

Thankfully, I am much more mobile now. However, those first shaky cruises gave me the motivation to continue to work at my rehab and grow stronger.

Station one person behind each card player. As each card is drawn, the person behind the card player calls out the card. Then every once in a while, the callers can rattle off the entire hand, and ask the other "callers" if it's any good. "Oooh! We have 3 sixes, a jack and an ace. Think that's good enough to win?"

After all, you can get kicked out of the card room for ruining a game. You can't get kicked out of the Lido for talking. :D

Please consider before casting aspersions. As noted in a previous thread concerning seemingly non handicapped pax using elevators instead of stairs pre tendering, one never knows what someone else's issues are.

I travel solo and try to be as independent as possible; during my first three cruises post accident, I could not stand or walk for any length of time without debilitating pain. I would hobble to the Lido before the serving lines opened to find a seat that would be relatively easy for me to get in and out of, usually sitting there with a crossword puzzle. When the lines opened, I left my glasses, jacket, and puzzle at the seat while I got something to eat. As I was terrified of being jostled and attempting to simultaneously manage a plate and a cane, it often took several minutes to return to my seat. Sometimes, when the Lido was packed, I needed to wait until the crowd thinned a bit before I could leave.

Thankfully, I am much more mobile now. However, those first shaky cruises gave me the motivation to continue to work at my rehab and grow stronger.

I have to ask, why not eat in the MDR? I'd be freaked out with that many people around. it would have made it so much easier.

Station one person behind each card player. As each card is drawn, the person behind the card player calls out the card. Then every once in a while, the callers can rattle off the entire hand, and ask the other "callers" if it's any good. "Oooh! We have 3 sixes, a jack and an ace. Think that's good enough to win?"

After all, you can get kicked out of the card room for ruining a game. You can't get kicked out of the Lido for talking. :D

Love it!

I personally have no trouble with the first scenario. The normal routine in any restaurant is to find a table first, then either order your food or, in the case of a buffet, go and serve yourself and return to your table. It's better to have people waiting for a table empty handed than wandering around plates in hand.

As for 2, I couldn't agree more. It's particularly aggravating on port days when you are trying to grab a quick, early breakfast and people are sitting there simply because it's a nice, sheltered area from which to watch the arrival in port.

As for number 2' date=' I agree with you totally. But for your first point, I disagree. My husband and I have spent hours wandering around the Lido, looking for each other. On at least one occasion, we never found each other and ended up claiming 2 separate tables! Now, on the VERY rare occasion when we enter the Lido, I find a table and sit down....now he knows where I'll be and comes back eventually.

This is why we routinely eat in the Main Dining Room.....oh, and we do like the portion control as well!

Barbara M. In NH[/quote']

Completely agree.. As Fouremco states it is much better to find a table while empty handed rather than wander around with hot plates..

When I walk long distances I use a cane but can't use my cane & carry my lunch at the same time.. When it's time for lunch my Friend & I find a table in the Lido, get our water or Ice tea & utensils while our DH's get their lunches.. When one or both DH's sit down with their lunch, my Friend & I go & get our lunches..

If we had to all get our lunch we would probably end up like Avery did with separate tables..

As far as those who play cards (we've even seen groups playing a word games), that should never be done during mealtimes..

oh just too good..:D:D Now if one only had the nerve:p;)

I don't but it's a great solution ;)

There are times when the MDR is not open for lunch.. Also if someone wants a quick breakfast before a tour, it takes too long in the MDR..

Yes, I understand that the MDR is not open every day. If I was in as much pain as the person I quoted I wouldn't be running out to do a shorex nor would I be setting up a puzzle to hold a chair. Seems like a lot of trouble when there could be a better solution. I know people love the cafeteria which I just can't understand.

Here's a strategy for getting a large table. It works best when there are two available seats at the same table, but two seats at adjacent tables works, too. Sit down and have a gross conversation. Perhaps start with, "I don't know, I mean it doesn't HAVE to be noro, right?"

Oh. Em. GEEEE. That is the funniest comment I think I have ever read on this website! Hahah! Great idea. :D

You have my respect and admiration. Cruising solo in that situation takes courage. My DH once had a bad accident that left him with plates, rods, screws - all the stuff that sometimes has to hold a person together. Now fairly well healed, nothing is evident, but bad days can be excrutiating, good days you might see him trotting along quite well. So I never judge anyone. However, I could not imagine him coping on his own on a cruise. Eating in the Lido and even just looking for a seat can be a challenge for him so I cater as much as I can, and I definitely hear you on avoiding being jostled by a crowd.;)