SINGLE HSC/TIPPING THREAD (Previously "Why are gratuities not included in Fares?")

wannagonow123

If you are in 2 cabins, you will have to buy the OBC for each cabin to cover the service charge.
If you are using the same credit card for both, what difference does it make? The bottom line is the same. If you get a refund of excess for cabin A, you just apply it to the cabin B bill. Besides, who said they are in two cabins? Edited by jtl513

If you are using the same credit card for both, what difference does it make? The bottom line is the same. If you get a refund of excess for cabin A, you just apply it to the cabin B bill.

Yes, that works if OP is covering charges for both rooms.

You cannot prepay HSC on line. Just call HAL ship services and ask to prepay. They will email you a confirmation. It will appear as a separate OBC on your account upon boarding.

You can also pre pay unlimited laundry this way as well.

I saved copies of email confirmation but didn't need them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Figure your tips BY NIGHT...not by days!

It's the same number.

The "day" you disembark doesn't count as a "day", either toward Mariner Days or for HSC purposes, as it counts as a day for the people who are boarding. Just as your day boarding was a day for you, but not the people you replaced. One day = one charge to HAL.

Explorer 4 has gratuities included, will this show as OBC or be specifically ear marked "gratuities"?

If it shows as OBC, I assume we will need to visit front desk and have it flagged for the tips?

OBC will be used for any charges on board. If you want it only used for gratuities, then don't charge anything else on board, ie, drinks, specialt dining, etc.

Anyway, where did you get the idea or info that they are in 2 rooms?

OP is travelling with 4 people, so I just added an option "if" it applied.

Not really a big deal.

Perhaps I shouldn't have added that comment. Sorry.

Edited by OVgirl

Ok... so when I look at the HAL site, I can see where to purchase OBC- but it asks me which person they are for? Now, we're all in one cabin- if I choose my own name, does it matter? I am using this specifically for prepaid gratuities (at this moment) if I buy them under my name, can anyone in cabin use them?

Now, we're all in one cabin- if I choose my own name, does it matter? ... can anyone in cabin use them?
It doesn't matter. Some ships give you one list of credits and charges for all cabin occupants and some give separate ones, but in the end all that matters is the total. Most often it is one long list with everything mixed together. Hotel Service Charges will be posted daily, just like any other charges.

Edited by jtl513

One other thing for OP, if you arrange ahead to cover service charge with early deposits, remember that IF, and only IF you want to give a SPECIFIC steward (or other crew member(s)) an extra bit - you will need cash onboard for that. Or at least that is the way it was at some time in the past. - others may know otherwise. Even if you wait to have it all billed onboard - extras were in cash to the specific employee.

Ok... so when I look at the HAL site, I can see where to purchase OBC- but it asks me which person they are for? Now, we're all in one cabin- if I choose my own name, does it matter? I am using this specifically for prepaid gratuities (at this moment) if I buy them under my name, can anyone in cabin use them?

Are the expenses for everyone all going to be on one bill at the end? If so, then put the OBC in that person's name, and be done with it.

If not, then you can purchase OBC for whoever needs it.

Keep in mind, you will purchase in increments (I think $100, but am not sure). The first one will show up on your on-line account, but additional ones will not show in the total, even though they are there. Just have proof with you---in case. HAL accounting systems seem to be pretty good, but mistakes do happen, and it's easier to get them corrected when you have the paperwork.

Keep in mind, you will purchase in increments (I think $100, but am not sure). The first one will show up on your on-line account, but additional ones will not show in the total, even though they are there.
It has been a while since I bought any, but IIRC the email confirmation receipt says something like "On Board Credit $100, Quantity 3"

It doesn't matter. Some ships give you one list of credits and charges for all cabin occupants and some give separate ones, but in the end all that matters is the total. Most often it is one long list with everything mixed together. Hotel Service Charges will be posted daily, just like any other charges.

So we'll get a list at the end detailing all charges, and the OBC is applied to that per cabin? I'll see 12.50 per day times 4 on my cabin,right?

So we'll get a list at the end detailing all charges, and the OBC is applied to that per cabin? I'll see 12.50 per day times 4 on my cabin,right?
You'll get a list, but the HSC won't be a lump sum at the end. It's a running total, and you can get a printout anytime at the front desk (or a kiosk there) or in some ships with your laptop/tablet/phone.

The list might look like:

Debit Credit Total

11/9/16 Internet Cafe 55.00 55.00

11/9/16 Upper Dining Room 18.29 73.29

11/9/16 Hotel Service Charge 12.50 85.79

11/9/16 Hotel Service Charge 12.50 98.29

11/9/16 Hotel Service Charge 12.50 110.79

11/9/16 Hotel Service Charge 12.50 123.29

11/9/16 Gift 300.00 -201.71

11/10/16 Hotel Service Charge 12.50 -189.21

11/10/16 Hotel Service Charge 12.50 -176.71

11/10/16 Hotel Service Charge 12.50 -164.21

11/10/16 Hotel Service Charge 12.50 -151.71

etc

where the "gift" is actually your purchased OBC. Eventually you will use up all the OBC, and the running total becomes positive. You pay the bottom line.

edit: ACK! :( :( The system took out all the spaces to make nice columns, but I hope you get the idea. Everything but the "gift" belongs under Debit, and the "gift" under Credit. The right column is your running total.

Edited by jtl513

edit: ACK! :( :( The system took out all the spaces to make nice columns, but I hope you get the idea. Everything but the "gift" belongs under Debit, and the "gift" under Credit. The right column is your running total.
And I messed up the addition too. :o Sorry. The OBC on one of my prior bills was listed as "Gift Order - Preliminary Manifest"

We were on Zuiderdam in January and there are two other ways to get your statement rather than standing in line. For the first way, there are small kiosks near the front desk which will print out your statement, just don't leave the kiosk until you are sure your received all your pages, as it doesn't print that fast. The other way is through the new onboard (free) wifi, and the person whose credit card is being charged can view a live statement at anytime. The only delay with the electronic version is with shore excursions which may take a day or two to show up.

We didn't use the kiosk, and only used the wifi version.

please tell me what is the advantage of prepaying gratuities? Why not pay off your credit card balance when you are finished cruising, before your credit card payment due date?

I am with you in that I don't see an advantage. Some people apparently like the feeling of not ending the cruise with a big bill--but they start with one. :rolleyes:

You cannot prepay HSC on line. Just call HAL ship services and ask to prepay. They will email you a confirmation. It will appear as a separate OBC on your account upon boarding.

You can also pre pay unlimited laundry this way as well.

I saved copies of email confirmation but didn't need them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wait I missed this comment...... Apparently I can buy OBC right now,and it should be applied to my overall bill (including HSC) at time of cruise, right? And I can find the option online. I am getting confused however b/c when I go to cart after choosing an amount of OBC to add to my acct, it just says confirm transaction, so there's no online way to pay this right now?

Wait I missed this comment...... Apparently I can buy OBC right now,and it should be applied to my overall bill (including HSC) at time of cruise, right? And I can find the option online. I am getting confused however b/c when I go to cart after choosing an amount of OBC to add to my acct, it just says confirm transaction, so there's no online way to pay this right now?

I don't have an active booking right now to check but as I recall you will be eventually asked to provide a credit card number and required validation information. And yes, what you're in essence doing is creating a "cash reserve" to draw from during the cruise. It can be used for any charge from the HSC to shop purchases to wine to whatever.

Explorer 4 has gratuities included, will this show as OBC or be specifically ear marked "gratuities"?

If it shows as OBC, I assume we will need to visit front desk and have it flagged for the tips?

You don't need to flag anything - it just happens :D. Our included grats just showed up daily as credit and debit.

Regular OBC shrank as we bought alcohol :D