SINGLE HSC/TIPPING THREAD (Previously "Why are gratuities not included in Fares?")

wannagonow123

I will, of course, tip the cabana guys at the end of the week.

My question is: Will this be extra (if they participate in sharing the per person per day service charge posted on account) or will this be their only tip for the week? The answer will help me decide what to give them at the end of the week knowing that tipping is a personal decision. Please let's not turn this into another tipping thread! Thanks in advance for the answer.

As near as I can tell, they participate in the crew tips. They're technically part of the Lido staff. However, in our experience, they provide a high level of service - and specifically to the cabana guests. We tipped extra, both during the week and at the end of the cruise. We also like to write personal thank you notes (on good quality card stock) for our end of cruise tips.

They are actually "BPA", If I remember the acronym correctly, which is part of the bar staff. Which means they aren't part of the tip pool. In fact the bar staff is more dependent on tips than, for example, waiters or room stewards, as they are on a different contract. You will commonly see the cabana attendants waiting tables in the bars at night, or being servers at evening events.

The on board cabanas area is run by the Bar Manager. A 2 to 3 week cabana assignment is usually given in the last month or so of their contract as a "bonus".

I agree that they provide a very high level of service, and very obviously earn their tips.

Edited by CruiserBruce

They are actually "BPA", If I remember the acronym correctly, which is part of the bar staff. Which means they aren't part of the tip pool. In fact the bar staff is more dependent on tips than, for example, waiters or room stewards, as they are on a different contract. You will commonly see the cabana attendants waiting tables in the bars at night, or being servers at evening events.

But don't they get a share of the 15% beverage fee?

But don't they get a share of the 15% beverage fee?

Yes, if they serve a beverage. I don't know that the 15% goes into a pool. I know the bartender gets a cut of the 15%.

But the cabana waiters don't get any of the hotel service charge charged per passenger, to each cabin.

Yes, if they serve a beverage. I don't know that the 15% goes into a pool. I know the bartender gets a cut of the 15%.

But the cabana waiters don't get any of the hotel service charge charged per passenger, to each cabin.

My understanding is that the beverage servers get a share of the 15% fee and I am sure they don't do it on a per-beverage-served basis - that would require quite some record keeping and data processing to figure out.

My understanding is that the beverage servers get a share of the 15% fee and I am sure they don't do it on a per-beverage-served basis - that would require quite some record keeping and data processing to figure out.
When I asked a wine stewardess on the Zuiderdam how the 15% on pre-purchased wine/liquor/beer and beverage cards was handled she said that all of the 15% charges are pooled and distributed on a point system, much like the HSC. That way a steward/ess assigned to a low-volume bar can get a share comparable to the dining room worker where the sales volume is much higher. That was almost 10 years ago, and I don't know if it is true on all ships today ... but if it is, then cabana stewards should be in the pool.

Edited by jtl513

Let me clarify.

We just work off the assumption that no one else is tipping and that our cash tips are helpful and appreciated. We tip early and often.

Edited by POA1

I think I was told by one of the asst beverage managers that since the Cabana fee is a beverage department charge a portion of the 'pre-paid' fee is the 15%, which goes into beverage steward pool. We always pass an envelope with at least that at the end of the cruise.

Dennis

We usually tip them both during and at the end of the cruise. We never know exactly how much to tip them, but always have assumed (to be safe) that they were not a part of the shared tip pool/HSC.

Thanks for asking the question and to all who shared their 2cents;)

I have seen people post that they "take care" of them and "treat them well". I will have my first cabana in April on a 7 day cruise. Are there any suggested guidelines? A percentage of the rental or dollar amount per day? I want to do right by the attendants but have no idea what that should be. Thanks for the help!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

I have seen people post that they "take care" of them and "treat them well". I will have my first cabana in April on a 7 day cruise. Are there any suggested guidelines? A percentage of the rental or dollar amount per day? I want to do right by the attendants but have no idea what that should be. Thanks for the help!

I don't think that there are any specific guidelines, but we usually tip as we go for lunch and drink orders and then tip each of the guys in an envelope at the end of the week. If it's a multi week cruise, we'll tip each week in case one of the cabana stewards rotates out.

It'll be up to you to decide what you want to give based on the quality of service received, but we usually allot at least as much as we do for our room stewards or MDR waiters. We budget certain amounts per person before we leave home and then adjust up or down as needed. We usually stop by the bank before we leave home to get a supply of small bills ($1s & $5s) for the daily stuff and a supply of medium sized bills ($10s & $20s) for the weekly tips.

Anything you give will be appreciated. We've never had any Holland America employee "put a hand out" for tips. Service in the retreat cabanas is typically excellent. Our guys in December were great. We even got some Christmas caroling. Just imagine trying to sing Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer in English if your first language is Tagalog.

250119f25f85a08d26a9144409ff8e86.jpg

I think I gave them each $100 though it could have been $100 and $75. I'm sure some here are horrified that it was so little, others who did less. I wish it was talked about more so that people would know what to plan for in accordance with the norm. I still don't know what is typical for the concierges in the lounge and have wondered if I did too little previously. And, I don't know how much to plan next time.

Wish you would use no abreviations, ie OBC DD DS etc. Unsure what those stand for

Probably a thread just on abbreviations somewhere!

OBC=on board credit

DD,DS,DW,DH= Dear daughter,son,wife,husband etc

Since these two posts will get lost in this tipping thread, I'll try to start another thread called: Cruise Critic & Internet acronyms AKA abbreviations..

In 2010 Joanie started a thread of acronyms & I will try to copy & paste it here but def will give credit to her..

Never mind someone else already started a thread on Common Acronyms & Joanie referred to her original post from 2010..Wish it could be a sticky..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1296357

We'll leave this thread for tipping now

/

Edited by serendipity1499

• 2 weeks later...

sooo.... just paid my balance for cruise (:D) and TA told me that HAL doesn't do prepay of gratuities thru them..... I need to go to HAL site,and buy OBC to cover that.... is this correct info? I'd like to buy right now,and have it paid for- how much do I buy in OBC? thanks (4 people,7 day cruise) I have $50 OBC apparently already thru my TA, so I assume that will show in my account once onboard?

A suite brings a Hotel Service Charge of $13.50 per person, per day.

A lesser cabin has a charge of $12.50 per person, per day.

You can do the math, then buy yourself on-board credit for an amount close to the total. I believe HAL accepts credits in specific increments---at least when you purchase on line. They may or may not accept odd lot type amounts if you call to request a charge.

sooo.... just paid my balance for cruise (:D) and TA told me that HAL doesn't do prepay of gratuities thru them..... I need to go to HAL site,and buy OBC to cover that.... is this correct info? I'd like to buy right now,and have it paid for- how much do I buy in OBC? thanks (4 people,7 day cruise) I have $50 OBC apparently already thru my TA, so I assume that will show in my account once onboard?

Holland calls those Hotel Service Charges. This thread will tell you all you'll ever want to know:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2265928

Can't answer your question. HAL charges $13.50 PPPD for suites and $12.50 PP PD for all other cabins. You'll have to do the math.

Lot's of folks will buy OBC to prepay their HSC. Or, it will automatically be added to your credit card.

As you'll learn from the thread, no gratuities other than the HSC are required. However, you may wish to give extra to those who serve you well.

thanks for the verification-I'll check the site out and try to prepay the right amount.....

Considering that you obviously don't want to have a big bill at the end, you may want to buy more OBC than that necessary to cover HSC. Excursions, alcohol, specialty dining, etc.

Always bring some hard-copy documentation of OBC you are expecting including any that you have pre-purchased, just in case it doesn't show up automatically. The Front Desk people will print out your account at any time you request it.

I usually get a copy of my account printed out on the first full day - the day of boarding may have lines at the front desk so I wait a day. I check for all OBC expected. Considering that you have 4 people in your party, you might have to request copies of all the accounts. Recently I had to request that my DH's account be combined with mine so all our charges and all our OBC were together on one account, one credit card.

m--