SINGLE HSC/TIPPING THREAD (Previously "Why are gratuities not included in Fares?")

wannagonow123

Tipping for open seating on K Dam is the same as tipping on all the other HAL ships. The waiters are included in the Hotel Service Charge. Additional tipping is strictly optional.

We try very hard to reserve the same table every night, and as such, have seen the same servers every night. We may gave them extra at the end of the cruise, if they have earned it.

Tipping for open seating on K Dam is the same as tipping on all the other HAL ships. The waiters are included in the Hotel Service Charge. Additional tipping is strictly optional.

We try very hard to reserve the same table every night, and as such, have seen the same servers every night. We may gave them extra at the end of the cruise, if they have earned it.

My theory, and it is only a theory, when a server knows from the get go that you tip for good service, you will be amazing service. These guys bust their asses, only to find out that their guests did not leave show a little extra appreciation at the end. I say, let's make it an informal contract, I take care of you and you take care of me.

P.S. For those of you who feel the daily gratuity is too rich or all you are 'obligated' to pay; then you do not have the appreciation of attentive service that others do. And who are happy to show their appreciation for receiving excellent service. :p

I cannot agree more. I cannot think of a time when we have not tipped extra.

I have a somewhat similar question about extra tipping on Westerdam. We were in a suite and had breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill every morning except debarkation. Since our waiters varied from day to day, I asked the manager if we should tip daily or only on our last day. I was told that it didn't matter because all gratuities went into a pool. We left about $50 for the seven day cruise.

I would leave the same amount for the waiters and $10 to the manager for arranging the table.

First, I don't want to hear any comments criticizing tipping. If you are opposed to tipping then just like your cash, KEEP IT TO YOURSELF.:p

I have open seating. When I first board the ship I go straight to the MDR and make arrangements for my table (2 top). What are the more comfortable/desirable tables to ask for? I prefer to sit with the same server throughout the cruise. What is an appropriate tip to give the dining room manager for making the arrangements? How much is an 'appreciate' tip for the server each night?

P.S. For those of you who feel the daily gratuity is too rich or all you are 'obligated' to pay; then you do not have the appreciation of attentive service that others do. And who are happy to show their appreciation for receiving excellent service. :p

The dining room manager and his staff will provide exemplary and attentive service because that is how they operate on the "dam" ships. The dining staff all come from the islands of Indonesia, predominantly Java and Bali, but also other islands. It is part of their culture to extend hospitality to their guests, regardless of whether or not they receive additional monetary compensation. You will find many of them to be well-educated, with professional backgrounds. Treat them with courtesy, that is all that is necessary for good service. I am (a very small) part Indonesian through my mother, and I find that using a few words of their language, bahasa Indonesia, and asking questions about their homes and families, helps to establish good rapport. I do give an extra amount at the end of the cruise. That is how I have done it on over 20 cruises with HAL, but you do things as you find they work best for you.

You can give them extra money at the end of the cruise if you so desire, in addition to the daily service charge that will be applied to your on board bill. You can also mention them in the guest survey which will be e-mailed to you after your cruise. But by all means, handle the extra gratuities however you wish.:) Anything you give, or not, will be handled graciously.

I cannot agree more. I cannot think of a time when we have not tipped extra.

I have a somewhat similar question about extra tipping on Westerdam. We were in a suite and had breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill every morning except debarkation. Since our waiters varied from day to day, I asked the manager if we should tip daily or only on our last day. I was told that it didn't matter because all gratuities went into a pool. We left about $50 for the seven day cruise.

I would leave the same amount for the waiters and $10 to the manager for arranging the table.

Just to clarigy, the "pool" is for the PG staff.

We leave a thank you card with the PG manager for all the staff.

We also tip individually at PG dinners and for those I think (not sure) the staff serving get to keep it.

I don't have the nerve to ask since a tip is just that and none of my business where it goes ;)

I worked my tail off in the hospitality industry putting myself through University.

I made a pile of tips, worked up the ladder and became the hostess.

No one ever "greased my palm in advance" and the few who tried were refused.

We treated all our guests well, did everything we could to make them happy and were rewarded at the end. That's probably why I like HAL. They do the same.

So we tip at the end of the cruise or at the end of the segment (some people may be going home) with the exception of room service, dinners in the PG, etc. :)

Edited by kazu

We did NOT remove the HSC. At the end of the cruise, we handed additional tips to our waiter and busser. The busser gave the money directly to the head waiter. We were kind of shocked. We were traveling with another couple. When they gave the busser his additional tip, the busser gave that money to the head waiter. I read where the staff are allowed to keep the extra gratuities but that was not what happened. Has anybody else seen this?

We did NOT remove the HSC. At the end of the cruise, we handed additional tips to our waiter and busser. The busser gave the money directly to the head waiter. We were kind of shocked. We were traveling with another couple. When they gave the busser his additional tip, the busser gave that money to the head waiter. I read where the staff are allowed to keep the extra gratuities but that was not what happened. Has anybody else seen this?

I have never seen this. Curious - were you doing anytime dining (aka open dining) or fixed? I think I read something about pooling tips in open because of the rotating tables. We do fixed and I have never seen our waiters or assistants pass the tips on. Mind you, it is none of my business if they do.

For all we know, it could be for recording purposes to match who removed and HSC and perhaps was returned after? Perhaps the "busser" didn't know? Lots of possibilities.

We had the 6:00 fixed dining. Someone suggested that he may have borrowed some money from the head waiter and was just paying him back - I did not think that was the case. It was disheartening to see him hand over the money. We wanted the busser to have it.

Edited by sunonfire

Just to clarigy, the "pool" is for the PG staff.

We leave a thank you card with the PG manager for all the staff.

We also tip individually at PG dinners and for those I think (not sure) the staff serving get to keep it.

I don't have the nerve to ask since a tip is just that and none of my business where it goes ;)

I asked the NL concierge about the PG and was told that they do pool. We had breakfast there nearly every day and usually ordered mimosas. Some poor waiter had to go to a bar to get them, and I felt bad that we put them to extra work. So on the last day, we left a tip for the staff.

I worked my tail off in the hospitality industry putting myself through University.

I made a pile of tips, worked up the ladder and became the hostess.

No one ever "greased my palm in advance" and the few who tried were refused.

We treated all our guests well, did everything we could to make them happy and were rewarded at the end. That's probably why I like HAL. They do the same.

So we tip at the end of the cruise or at the end of the segment (some people may be going home) with the exception of room service, dinners in the PG, etc. :)

(bold is mine) And I bet you tip well. Everyone I know who has waited tables in the past tips generously because they understand what the job is like. I never had that job. I would not have had the forebearance to do it. Some annoying person would have had a lapful of coffee! "Oh, gosh, I am sooooo sorry!" (not) :eek: :D (and I'd have been out of a job)

Strathden, thank you for posting that link! It's interesting to read the minutia that's controlled by the line. I like where the etiquette suggestions said "Smile!" That friendly service is one of HAL's hallmarks.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

<snip>

(bold is mine) And I bet you tip well. Everyone I know who has waited tables in the past tips generously because they understand what the job is like. I never had that job. I would not have had the forebearance to do it. Some annoying person would have had a lapful of coffee! "Oh, gosh, I am sooooo sorry!" (not) :eek: :D (and I'd have been out of a job)

Strathden, thank you for posting that link! It's interesting to read the minutia that's controlled by the line. I like where the etiquette suggestions said "Smile!" That friendly service is one of HAL's hallmarks.

LOL - DH thinks I am too generous. I learned two things - the most demanding clients are NOT the best tippers and 2) there are ways to get even (if you have to) without spilling coffee or other harmful things on them ;) :p:D

Generally speaking the latter was never necessary but there are ways ;)

I am not surprised. Cruise ships have a long history of crew abuses and exploitation, not only by the cruise line owners and management, but by other crew members also. I have read numerous reports of the highest paid person on a cruise ship is the dining room maitre d' due to the kickbacks that are in place. You may wish to visit the ITF Seafarers wesbite here: http://www.itfseafarers.org/dark-side.cfm.

I am not surprised. Cruise ships have a long history of crew abuses and exploitation, not only by the cruise line owners and management, but by other crew members also. I have read numerous reports of the highest paid person on a cruise ship is the dining room maitre d' due to the kickbacks that are in place. You may wish to visit the ITF Seafarers wesbite here: http://www.itfseafarers.org/dark-side.cfm.

It might also be a decision made by the crew, that the cash tips are pooled and shared. Many restaurants on land do that, every server turns in all the tips, and the tips get shared by all the servers, bussers, etc.

It might also be a decision made by the crew, that the cash tips are pooled and shared. Many restaurants on land do that, every server turns in all the tips, and the tips get shared by all the servers, bussers, etc.

It may very well be. Given the nature of the working environment on cruise ships though, I doubt very much that new crew members "voluntarily" agree to a decision to pool tips. I don't think most crew members have any say whatsoever in any decisions made on a cruise ship.

• 2 weeks later...
To avoid all future discussions and arguments about the removal of the HSC from your account and whether or not crew get to keep their cash tips - could everyone please read the section on Tipping in the Crew Handbook that can be found here.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/assets/welcometohal/HAL_Crew_Service_Directories_080116.pdf

I live in a country that doesn't usually tip. If we have had excellent over the top service we would round the bill up to the next $5.

To read the angst that tipping causes amongst residents in a country that tips for just about everything, can you imagine what it is like to visit the US or cruise on a US ship.

Could you direct me to the page this info is on. I looked, didn't see it.

Does HAL have a form to give extra gratuities to specific crew members from onboard account? I was on RCI last December and they had a form at the front desk. You had to have the crew members full name and where they were working. I liked it because I was able to use the balance of my onboard credit that was not refundable. I handed envelopes to the crew members with the information and told them to make sure that they get their money from HAL. I listed my name, cabin number, cruise date and the amount of money to be given. I thought it was a great thing for me as well as the crew members.

Edited by sunonfire

You can go to the front desk and request that they increase your HSC but that will be given out as per the proportion in place and not to specific crew members. As KK, said for specific people that we want to thank over and above our HSC, we just give cash.

When we get cash to take on our trips we plan for enough to give extra cash for extra tips if they are warranted. (we always leave the auto-grats on) We like to give cash for extra tips because that way we know the employee actually got it and doesn't have to account to anyone else for it. What we don't need goes back in the bank when we get home :-)

We never have more OBC than covers our auto-grats and bar bills anyway so we've never had the dilemma of trying to spend extra OBC :D

Edited by summersigh

No form available but as Kazu mentioned you can increase the HSC, but it will not go to specific people..It gets divided like the normal HSC does a percentage to the stewards & a percentage to those working behind the scenes..

We give extra cash tips in an envelope with a little note thanking those people who have made our trip special..:)

Edited by serendipity1499