SINGLE HSC/TIPPING THREAD (Previously "Why are gratuities not included in Fares?")

wannagonow123

I suggest that when you use an envelope put your Stateroom Number on it and sign your name. By doing so it facilitates verifying that you have not canceled your HSC and the receiver gets to keep the additional $$ rather than having it placed into the pool.

I suggest that when you use an envelope put your Stateroom Number on it and sign your name. By doing so it facilitates verifying that you have not canceled your HSC and the receiver gets to keep the additional $$ rather than having it placed into the pool.

I give all my envelopes personally. Or, in the case of my stateroom cabin steward, if they have been discreet, leave them in the room. They always find me after to say thank you :) We just put a little not inside - never worried about putting our cabin # on the envelope ever:eek::D

Does HAL have a form to give extra gratuities to specific crew members from onboard account? ...... I thought it was a great thing for me as well as the crew members.

I agree. Disney has (or had last time I was on them) and it was great. No need to have cash on hand at the end of the trip. Just fill out a form, turn it in and be given a slip of paper and an envelope to give to the staff member you want to recognize. The money just goes straight into whatever method they have chosen to receive their wages.

• 2 weeks later...

In which speciality restaurants do you tip separately (not included in the restaurant surcharge price) and how do you do it (i.e. automatically charged to your shipboard account, you authorize a charge, cash, etc)? How much should you tip (eq. a percent of the surcharge price, some other basis, etc).

You can only do it with cash. To each restaurant I bring two envelopes. If the service is "standard" they get the smaller amount, and if service is superior they get the larger. The amounts I bring are: Canaletto $5 and $10, Tamarind $10 and $15, PG and Sel de Mer $15 and $20.

Thanks. Very helpful.

How do you handle Pinnacle Grill?

Same - 2 envelopes in my pocket - $15 or $20.

Forgot: How do you handle the Culinary Arts Center?
We didn't try that for dining, and probably never will. Just doesn't interest us. :)

We do not add the tip to the bill.
Because it is not possible to do so. You do not get a bill to sign. Even in the a la carte Sel de Mer you get just a receipt showing how much was charged to your account.

Edited by jtl513

Do you tip all the people who served your table (there were 3-4 last time? Do you tip the wine server separately? I left cash on the table and found out it all went to only the main server.

I thought the PG staff split/pooled the tips?

Do you tip all the people who served your table (there were 3-4 last time? Do you tip the wine server separately? I left cash on the table and found out it all went to only the main server.

The wine steward gets his tip based on your order (15% is added to your bar bill). I have never tipped them extra but if I wanted to, I would give that directly to him/her. The cash we leave on the table is shared among the remaining dining room staff.