SINGLE HSC/TIPPING THREAD (Previously "Why are gratuities not included in Fares?")

wannagonow123

Do servers in the Pinnacle pool their tips? Service there seems to be such a team approach that I'm not sure who should get what.

My understanding is that the Pinnacle workers do pool the additional tips that passengers leave. That sort of thing has been a common practice in the lounges and dining room for decades, either between a couple of people, or larger groups working the room.

Do servers in the Pinnacle pool their tips? Service there seems to be such a team approach that I'm not sure who should get what.

We had the breakfast in the Pinnacle perk on our last cruise. We had multiple servers. Our service was wonderful and we wanted to leave something extra. The matre'd that anything we left would be pooled among all the staff.

This topic has always confused me. What is the difference? If the gratuities are included in the fare you pay them. If they are a separate line item you pay them. To me it is the total that comes out of my pocket. How the cruise line breaks it down for their accounting purposes doesn't make any difference to me.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My understanding is that the Pinnacle workers do pool the additional tips that passengers leave. That sort of thing has been a common practice in the lounges and dining room for decades, either between a couple of people, or larger groups working the room.

We had the breakfast in the Pinnacle perk on our last cruise. We had multiple servers. Our service was wonderful and we wanted to leave something extra. The matre'd that anything we left would be pooled among all the staff.

Thanks. I was pretty sure breakfast is pooled, since it's a multi-day and varied server thing. On the last morning of our fall cruise, we left an envelope for "Pinnacle staff" but I wasn't sure about dinner since we haven't had dinner in PG in a while.

Thanks. I was pretty sure breakfast is pooled, since it's a multi-day and varied server thing. On the last morning of our fall cruise, we left an envelope for "Pinnacle staff" but I wasn't sure about dinner since we haven't had dinner in PG in a while.

We tipped our waiter the night of PG /Le Cirque dinners. I'll leave it to him to split it ;)

For the breakfasts, we did the same thing, gave an envelope at the end of the cruise/segment with a thank you card and some $ for the staff.

This topic has always confused me. What is the difference? If the gratuities are included in the fare you pay them. If they are a separate line item you pay them. To me it is the total that comes out of my pocket. How the cruise line breaks it down for their accounting purposes doesn't make any difference to me.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There really isn't a difference even though some wish to pretend otherwise.

This is a well beaten topic here. Long responses are seldom read but here is an explanation from a member here how was worked on ships for over 30 years:....

Thanks for the explanation. Taxes drive what people do the world over.

please tell me what is the advantage of prepaying gratuities? Why not pay off your credit card balance when you are finished cruising, before your credit card payment due date?

I am with you in that I don't see an advantage. Some people apparently like the feeling of not ending the cruise with a big bill--but they start with one. :rolleyes:

Different strokes for different folks. One nice thing is that we can each handle this the way we want and others don't have to like it or understand why we do it. People have different comfort levels and each should do what to them feels right.

Probably old news to CC folks here but I just got the 'official' note today.

"Holland America Line is adjusting its daily Hotel Service Charge for all sailings beginning on or after May 1, 2017. The Hotel Service Charge will increase as follows:

US $13.50 per person per day for staterooms (interior, ocean-view and verandah) which is a total increase of $1.

US $15.00 per person per day for suites which is a total increase of $1.50.

To ensure that the efforts of all crewmembers are recognized and rewarded, a Hotel Service Charge is automatically added to each guest's shipboard account on a daily basis. If Holland America's service exceeds or fails to meet expectations, guests are free to adjust this amount at the end of the cruise.

The 15% service charge that is automatically added to beverage purchases (wine, beer, liquor, soft drinks, etc.) remains unchanged."

Safe Travels,

Bob:)

Probably old news to CC folks here but I just got the 'official' note today.

"Holland America Line is adjusting its daily Hotel Service Charge for all sailings beginning on or after May 1, 2017. The Hotel Service Charge will increase as follows:

US $13.50 per person per day for staterooms (interior, ocean-view and verandah) which is a total increase of $1.

US $15.00 per person per day for suites which is a total increase of $1.50.

To ensure that the efforts of all crewmembers are recognized and rewarded, a Hotel Service Charge is automatically added to each guest's shipboard account on a daily basis. If Holland America's service exceeds or fails to meet expectations, guests are free to adjust this amount at the end of the cruise.

The 15% service charge that is automatically added to beverage purchases (wine, beer, liquor, soft drinks, etc.) remains unchanged."

Safe Travels,

Bob:)

With this new format for CC -- what font and size are you using?

Yours is easy to read compared to others on here.

Thank you.

Thanks so much for the heads up. I hadn't received an e from HAL and we do have a cruise booked for 2018.

I don't have an issue with the increased HSC overall, but I have always wondered why all suites are charged the same price??? The Vistas, SS's are not the same size as a Neptune Suite.

Received an email from my TA today advising me that HAL is increasing the HSC effective May 1, 2017.

For all sailings beginning on or after May 1, the HSC is increasing to $13.50 US per day for staterooms and $15.00 US per day for suites.

The 15% service charge added to beverages remains unchanged.

I still have not gotten word of the service charge increase. I guess it will come some day. I did find it on the HAL website. I, too, will assume if your booking package includes prepaid gratuities that this increased amount will still be covered. If I ever get a notice, I will ask the question to be sure.