Letting table mates know you won't be at dinner

Luv my furbaby

On our last RCI cruise, after the few days the assistant waiter would have drinks on the table for when we arrived, so it would have been bad mannered not to let them know that we were dining else where on different nights

I would hate that! I might want something different one night and then I would feel reluctant to say so because I would feel rude about it after they'd been so sweet to try to give me what they 'thought' I wanted. So I'd end up drinking something that I didn't want and having to try to figure out a polite way to ask them not to try to read my mind next time. Yes, I clearly have issues.

Edited by Tiggerontheseas

I would hate that! I might want something different one night and then I would feel reluctant to say so because I would feel rude about it after they'd been so sweet to try to give me what they 'thought' I wanted. So I'd end up drinking something that I didn't want and having to try to figure out a polite way to ask them not to try to read my mind next time. Yes, I clearly have issues.

I think you're missing the point. Some passengers want the same drink every night when they sit down for dinner, and a good waiter will pick up on that and be proactive.

I think you're missing the point. Some passengers want the same drink every night when they sit down for dinner, and a good waiter will pick up on that and be proactive.

Yes, I always order ice tea. After a few nights a good waiter/asst. waiter should pick up on that. Also by the third night they should know I want regular coffee, not decaf.

Edited by Charles4515

On our Freedom of the Seas cruise about 4 years ago, we got a really pathetic table for 2. It was crowded and shoved in to a tiny place with other people who were trying to also have intimate tables for 2 right on top of us. I refused wine when the wine waiter came by and I always use my hands when I talk. It was nothing dramatic, just a wave of my hand, but a few minutes later I looked up and caught him mocking me and the other waiter laughing. Then they both turned towards me and realized i had seen it all. We didn't get much service, no drinks, not even water. They just stayed away as much as possible-we left before dessert and went to the Windjammer, which is wonderful on the FOTS. I called down the next day to cancel all our MTD reservations for the week and she asked if there was a problem. I did tell her they were rude and there was no way I would get my husband back into the dining room. She just said Oh, so I figured it was not going to be a problem if we never went back. We ate at the WJ the rest of the time and then on the next cruise on Celebrity, he would only go to the buffet. Then last year on the Serenade, we did eat one night-the 5th or so, in the mdr. Our tablemates were so weird and never shut up telling us personal stories. On each cruise, they called the last night and begged us to come down for the fancy dinner, but my husband is stubborn and kind of a pain, so we didn't. On the 2nd and 3rd cruise, I didn't call. I never even thought about it, since no one has ever ever mentioned it. Sorry sorry.

On the next cruise-the Allure-we are leaving my husband at home and have 1st seating, so we are going to give it another shot. However, my parents really like the buffet and the variety, so I bet we don't eat there often.

No, I totally got the point. My point was that just because I had ordered coffee every night for three nights wouldn't necessarily mean that I would want it on the 4th and the proactiveness of the waiter would be personally awkward for me. I also said that it was my issues.:)

No, I totally got the point. My point was that just because I had ordered coffee every night for three nights wouldn't necessarily mean that I would want it on the 4th and the proactiveness of the waiter would be personally awkward for me. I also said that it was my issues.:)

Ah, got it. :)

Not just your issue. I dislike the whole anticipating preferences thing also. I like to change my mind and I don't want someone making assumptions about how or what I eat or drink.

I guess I just can't fathom how anyone likes a traditional dining deal sitting with strangers, worrying about offending or being rude, having to go out of your way to tell someone where you will or won't be. The new dining options are the reason I am cruising more often. The old set up just wasn't for me.

Not just your issue. I dislike the whole anticipating preferences thing also. I like to change my mind and I don't want someone making assumptions about how or what I eat or drink.

I guess I just can't fathom how anyone likes a traditional dining deal sitting with strangers, worrying about offending or being rude, having to go out of your way to tell someone where you will or won't be. The new dining options are the reason I am cruising more often. The old set up just wasn't for me.

Haha- it is def a preference thing- i am the opposite and will go so far to tell them I want the same thing ready every night : ) i hate waiting for the bar guy to come- somehow it always seems to take forever (or Im just impatient) but I totally get how if you want to switch thing up that would be uncomfortable!

This is definitely an interesting and humorous forum - we usually let our tablemates know, because more than not we travel with the same group. Once we didn't show up, due to a migraine headache and they were all worried that something happened to us, so we make a call or two and let them know.

Thanks for the chuckles though - would like to see some more humor on the boards

We ALWAYS let our waiter or head waiter know if we will not be at the table the next evening. On our last cruise we had what many considered to be a desirable table for 2. We mentioned to the head waiter that we wound not be in the dining room for the next two evenings. He thanked us for letting him know as he had a request from someone to have a table for 2 for some sort of celebration. They used our table. Actually he asked where we would be and we let him know of our specialty dining plans. I was so shocked when he came to the restaurant to greet us.

If we have table mates, we simply let them know that we will not be at the dining table the next evening. No one has EVER ask us where we will be.

M

I guess I just can't fathom how anyone likes a traditional dining deal sitting with strangers, worrying about offending or being rude, having to go out of your way to tell someone where you will or won't be.

Well, I think you could be a little better at "fathoming." I don't have a hard time fathoming how different people have different likes. Just try imagining how someone else might look at it, instead of the way you look at it.

For instance, if you changed, "sitting with strangers" to "meeting new people," it takes on a different tone.

I don't think it's ever even crossed my mind, when dining with "strangers" that I have to worry about offending or being rude. And if I were to tell them that I wouldn't be joining them the next night, it would just be part of the normal conversation; not "going out of my way."

First to answer the question - We do simply say. We won't be there on whatever night.It is just polite, well to us. If someone asks where we will be, it's usually - we have other plans or doing a romantic dinner. What is the big deal. I assume I am talking to grown-ups who get it.

I gotta say this is cracking me up. Security risk?!?!? OMG let me get up off the floor!!

Yeah, when I say we won't be there, I also tell them where & when our plans are. Also tell them our cabin number & leave the door ajar.Oh I also give them my safe combo. REALLY?!?!

Never mind tin foil hats or shoe, we simply line our cabin. Everyone knows aliens get you when you sleep. :eek:

Stop picking on the guy that mentioned security! This is what I sometimes hate about this forum (and love in equal measure, nowt better than a good fight on here!), people latch onto something and won't let go and pick on people, the thread loses all it's common sense. Please don't pick on me as I won't be replying, but just thought I'd comment, let the thread go back to its original question. :D

Please don't pick on me as I won't be replying, but just thought I'd comment, let the thread go back to its original question. :D

Meh. The original question was asked and answered. Not much more the discuss there. The only fun left is to laugh about the idea that telling someone you won't be joining them for dinner is a security risk.

First to answer the question - We do simply say. We won't be there on whatever night.It is just polite, well to us. If someone asks where we will be, it's usually - we have other plans or doing a romantic dinner. What is the big deal. I assume I am talking to grown-ups who get it.

I gotta say this is cracking me up. Security risk?!?!? OMG let me get up off the floor!!

Yeah, when I say we won't be there, I also tell them where & when our plans are. Also tell them our cabin number & leave the door ajar.Oh I also give them my safe combo. REALLY?!?!

Never mind tin foil hats or shoe, we simply line our cabin. Everyone knows aliens get you when you sleep. :eek:

I expect this type of response from a Bruins fan... ;)

Go Penguins!

as a criminal, i really wish 2catsinflorida would not have made such a post, and ruined everything for me and those like me.

I happen to go on cruises with the specific goal of being seated with really wealthy people in the mdr of a cruise ship just hoping they will announce they won't be at dinner the following night. When i hear this, it creates my opening to do things. Bad things. Things that i can't explain here, but if you google "bad things criminals on cruises do when they hear people will be dining elsewhere the following night" you will figure it out for yourselves.

like!

Stop picking on the guy that mentioned security! This is what I sometimes hate about this forum (and love in equal measure, nowt better than a good fight on here!), people latch onto something and won't let go and pick on people, the thread loses all it's common sense. Please don't pick on me as I won't be replying, but just thought I'd comment, let the thread go back to its original question. :D

Or pick at them constantly?! Damn....I replied....I'm off! haha....;)

boo-this-man.gif

That being said...stepping foot out of one's cabin compromises one's security/safety.

I think most people at your table could honestly care less whether you are at the table or not. Personally, reading some of the responses and reactions inclines me to think that if I were tabled with some of the posters on here I would ask to have my table reassigned as I left the MDR on night one.

I genuinely am curious why anyone that feels their security is being compromised once they leave their cabin. How could a person with the extreme level of fear and societal anguish would ever contemplate going on a cruise in the first place. Please know that I am not trying to poke fun and anyone's mental capacity or any medically recognized disabilities I'm just following the thread and trying to understand the response.

as a criminal, i really wish 2catsinflorida would not have made such a post, and ruined everything for me and those like me.

I happen to go on cruises with the specific goal of being seated with really wealthy people in the mdr of a cruise ship just hoping they will announce they won't be at dinner the following night. When i hear this, it creates my opening to do things. Bad things. Things that i can't explain here, but if you google "bad things criminals on cruises do when they hear people will be dining elsewhere the following night" you will figure it out for yourselves.

Like!!! :)

I genuinely am curious why anyone that feels their security is being compromised once they leave their cabin.

Perhaps you missed the context of that comment. It was intended as sarcasm in response to another poster trying to validate the OP's security fears.

Well, we like being seated with others for cruise dinners.

But if we choose to not go to a dinner we aren't *worried* about being rude, and we don't go out of our way to let the servers know...we just let them know. It's not a problem or a worry.

We just know that the server will likely hold up service for others if we aren't there, because they don't know if we are just late or not. So we let them know so the other people at the table aren't delayed. Easy.

We just know that the server will likely hold up service for others if we aren't there, because they don't know if we are just late or not. So we let them know so the other people at the table aren't delayed. Easy.

That is well said, and its always nice to be nice.

I still cannot believe that people think their security is breached if they fail to show up for Dinner.

What do they do while at home in their house ?