What to do in San Juan, St. Kitts, and St. Maarten?

damusclefreak

Aloha,

Going on a 7 night Eastern Caribbean Cruise on Independence of the Seas. I wanted to get your fabulous input as to some fun/interesting things to do at each port (i.e. attractions, dining, sightseeing).

Here's the itinerary:

San Juan, PR - Arriving at 4PM

Philipsburg, St. Maarten - Arriving at 10AM

Basseterre, St. Kitts - Arriving at 7AM

If you haven't already, Cruise on over to the Ports Of Call here on CC. A lot of good info there concerning your Ports Of Call. I suggest you get off the ship at each port you're visiting. They all offer something fun to do and see.

Bernard's tour in St. Maarten or taxi to Orient Beach or Maho Beach.

Never been to St. Kitts before but going next April and touring with Royston. Looking forward to this island more than any other so I'm not sure why a previous poster said to stay on the ship. Looks like many of you disagree with them so that is good news to me. Must mean you enjoyed it.

Bernard's tour in St. Maarten or taxi to Orient Beach or Maho Beach.

Never been to St. Kitts before but going next April and touring with Royston. Looking forward to this island more than any other so I'm not sure why a previous poster said to stay on the ship. Looks like many of you disagree with them so that is good news to me. Must mean you enjoyed it.

We think the island is beautiful. One of the things we enjoy about going to Cockleshell Beach is the views on the trip there.

St Maarten: You could this DIY

Get of the ship, head for the taxis, take yourself to Marigot (French side) Explore the town a while, then start your climb to the fortress at the top (Easily recognizable once you get of the taxi) for great views of Marigot and the learn some history as well. After you are done, head back down, to a french cafe below selling croissant and smoothie. (Its just opposite the taxi area)

Next hop back on the cab for Maho Beach. Make a stop at the point where Holland meets France for a photo stop with the flags. Then continue to Maho beach, grab a good spot, and order 2 carib beers. With that, watch the planes land.

Most people will leave after the KLM had landed, after which, you can head back to port, take the water ferry to downtown St Maarten. And enjoy. You can slowly explore the town, have lunch then take the water ferry back to the ship.

St kitts. We went with Mr Gray tours. He brings you for a tour around town, then to the batik factory, next he brings you to Brimstone fortress. After which next stop is Timothy Hill( Caribbean sea meets the Atlantic). He gives you an option later whether you want to return to the ship or head down to a nice beach (Where clear water and a restaurant awaits you) I can't remember the name buts its rather famous) then he comes and pick you up later in 2 hours for your return trip to the ship

San Juan: We were there from 7. to 1pm. However since you arrive at 4pm. You could do the el morro fort straight away. Then walk down to San Cristobal, taking the sea views as you walk along the coastline. Next, you can go down the slope to Old San Juan for some shopping. ( I did the reverse of this since we arrive in the morning.)

I hope this advice is good. I'm a first timer to the islands, so this is what i did.

Edited by WaveSplasher

We think the island is beautiful. One of the things we enjoy about going to Cockleshell Beach is the views on the trip there.

Hi Bob,

I've never been to Cockleshell beach but I have heard that it is rocky (need water shoes) and can get very crowded.

Though I have heard good things about Reggae Beach Bar.

Would love your comments.

Thanks!

We used Thernford Grey also in St. Kitts. He has a website, will call you back on the phone, Him or his brother does the tours. No money up front or deposite , and pay at the end of tour. In my 46 cruises, and since 1991 he was probably the best, most reliable tour guide we have run across. Bob & Nancy The Villages Florida Did the island tour step type bus with 8 others.

Hi Bob,

I've never been to Cockleshell beach but I have heard that it is rocky (need water shoes) and can get very crowded.

Though I have heard good things about Reggae Beach Bar.

Would love your comments.

Thanks!

Maybe the conditions of the beach vary, but we've been there twice, bith times to the Reggae Beach area, and did not feel that we needed water shoes. I also cannot remember thinking that the beach was crowded, however each time our ship was the only one in port.

St Maarten- soualiga boat trip for awesome snorkeling

St. Kitts- stay on the ship and enjoy the empty pool! Will never get off there again. Destitute area with no redeeming qualities

you obviously didn't go far. St Kitts has some of the most beautiful scenery.

We've enjoyed Cockleshell Beach at St. Kitts. About a 20 min taxi ride. Nice facilities, large beach, and view of Nevis.
Went there a few years ago and was not impressed with the horse manure on the beach.

The last 2 times we went to Carambola Beach. Has long beach to walk with great facilities. If it rains you can go inside and have lunch

When you ask a vendor to go to the beach, they always want to bring to to Cockleshell. It's like Megans Bay in St Thomas. We will always go to Carambola now. No crowds

Star_Clippers_Ship_JPG.JPG

St_Kits_-_Carambola_JPG.JPG

Edited by SeaUs

We just returned from a cruise and spent a great day on Random Wind when we were is St Maarten. The treated us so well and we visited some wonderful beaches. Some of the best food and drink on the whole trip. We will do Random Wind again when we return to St Maarten.