European cruise wear help please

mips

We got offered such a good deal on the inaugural Carnival Vista cruise that we couldn't say no. My usual cruise wear consists of pastel Gloria Vanderbilt capris, palazzo pants, jeans for traveling and more rough and ready excursions. Nice tops a couple of T-shirts to go with the jeans. Nice flat Dressy enough sandals, Columbia hiking sandles, and Dr Martens which are for any distance walking as they are the only shoes that don't upset my mangled achelies tendon. Plus a beaded gown or two for the not so formal, formal nights. I will be looking for something lighterweight though for this trip.

Will this wardrobe be suitable for Europe? I'm concerned more about what to wear in Italy as we will be visiting churches.

Will not be trying to pack in a carry on, I'm in a great round size 20 shape and that means too much material to fit.

Sounds wonderful. My only comment would be about the jeans; I think I may have worn jeans on the airplane to fly to Europe and then never looked at them again. Europe in summer is HOT, and in fact the shoulder seasons of spring and fall can also be very warm. I didn't wear my jeans at all. Capris and sundresses are nice on the ship for dinner, as well as in port.

I would recommend a good walking shoe for Europe. I saw many women with cute, bling-y sandals (and secretly envied them, they were gorgeous!) but my Nikes took me all over Europe and we walked for miles and miles. A good shoe is essential.

Skirts and dresses are nice in Europe as the air can circulate. For churches, knees and shoulders must be covered for both genders.

Enjoy your cruise. :)

I would recommend a good walking shoe for Europe. I saw many women with cute, bling-y sandals (and secretly envied them, they were gorgeous!) but my Nikes took me all over Europe and we walked for miles and miles. A good shoe is essential.

I walk miles a week in my Dr Martens even wear them on my elliptical, I have more pairs than k am willing to admit to and in a lot of colours and patterns.

Skirts and dresses are nice in Europe as the air can circulate. For churches, knees and shoulders must be covered for both genders.

I don't own and wouldn't know where to start to look for easy pack sleeved sundresses. Any suggestions?

Hi Langley Cruisers. Could you expand on your info re knees and shoulders have to be covered in Europe for churches? A pair of capris would be okay for me? (female) What about DH? Would he have to wear long pants? Not a nicer walking short?

You don't have to wear a dress with sleeves - wearing a cardigan, button down shirt or shawl will work as well. I don't like short sleeve dresses - most of mine are sleeveless or long. So for Europe in warm weather, I pack the sleeveless and then I always have a cardigan and I have a wicking button down I like to pack for warm weather (eg Columbia fishing shirt - something of that nature - with vents in the back - my husband also has). I'm short so all my dresses cover my knees. But to be sure (and because some of the places I've traveled - eg Meteora monasteries - require full length skirt coverage on women) I usually do wear a maxi dress (yes, I climbed 400+ stairs at Meteora in a maxi dress and my hiking sandals :p)

Not all churches will have a posted dress code. I always prefer to dress on the modest side JUST IN CASE. Some places will strictly enforce the code (Blue Mosque in Istanbul, St Peters) so I dress for the most strict and know that I'll be acceptable anywhere.

You can check the websites for the places you intend to visit, but Rick Steves has a mention of the "modesty" requirements on his site https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/packing-light/packing-tips-clothes

I don't really like shorts - I will bring a pair but when ashore will typically wear a sundress.

Edited by Hoyaheel

If you actually do want a short sleeve sundress, Lands End ponte dresses are well made and many have pockets (I have a couple of the sleeveless for work and am eyeing the wrap for fall & winter) Target, Kohls - most will have some short sleeve options, though it's not the best time of year to be looking for them.

I walk miles a week in my Dr Martens even wear them on my elliptical, I have more pairs than k am willing to admit to and in a lot of colours and patterns.

I don't own and wouldn't know where to start to look for easy pack sleeved sundresses. Any suggestions?

Doc Martens should be fine for walking if you like them and are used to them (e.g., they are broken in -- do not bring NEW shoes!)

Sundresses -- hmm. Depends on your age and style. Old Navy had a lot of cute maxi sundresses this year, and what a lot of people do is bring a very lightweight short-sleeved cardi or shrug to toss over the sundress when entering a church. I'd imagine most any department store would also have versions of this kind of dress. I remember seeing them at Macys, for example.

When exactly is your cruise (month)? The hottest months are July and August, but the end of June and early September can also be pretty hot.

Hi Langley Cruisers. Could you expand on your info re knees and shoulders have to be covered in Europe for churches? A pair of capris would be okay for me? (female) What about DH? Would he have to wear long pants? Not a nicer walking short?

Knees covered rule is for men and women. If his shorts fully cover the knee, he'll probably be fine, but sometimes they can be picky (especially at the Vatican).

A lot of people report getting those "convertible" travel pants. They have zippers around the legs and they convert from pants to shorts.

Edited by cruisemom42

We haven't cruised in Europe but have spent many holidays in Italy and Spain. If I think we might be visiting a church I wear trousers (light linen) or a sundress long enough to cover my knees (as I'm a senior most of my dresses are!) but I carry a light shawl in my bag (or hubby's daypack) and slip it over my shoulders when required. On the Amalfi coast this summer we noticed some churches have a bin of scarves at the entrance for anyone not dressed 'properly' to borrow but I prefer to have my own.

Hope that helps

Beth

Thanks for all your replies. We will be in Rome in October so DH might be in long pants anyway. Or the convertible pants is a good idea.

Rome is a very fashionable city and the locals will be wearing fall clothes. I do not recommend wearing summery clothing, i.e., shorts, zip off pants, sundresses, linen.

I have been to Italy many times in October (a lovely month to visit) and choose not to look like a tourist. YMMV.

Rome is a very fashionable city and the locals will be wearing fall clothes. I do not recommend wearing summery clothing, i.e., shorts, zip off pants, sundresses, linen.

I have been to Italy many times in October (a lovely month to visit) and choose not to look like a tourist. YMMV.

Oh so well said. The tourists in London in the fall stand out not only by their cameras and maps but by their summer clothes,shorts and capris. Europe cities residents are a pretty conservative well- dressed bunch. We Americans could learn a lot from them.

Oh so well said. The tourists in London in the fall stand out not only by their cameras and maps but by their summer clothes,shorts and capris. Europe cities residents are a pretty conservative well- dressed bunch. We Americans could learn a lot from them.

Not to mention baseball caps!!!

But seriously, as a European visiting Washington DC or NYC at that time of year, it would never occur to me to wear sundresses, shorts or any similar clothing. Not because of the temperature/ season, but because these are major cities, not beach resorts.

Having lived in DC - and visited "tourist" spots when I lived there - I can tell you, if it was 80, I was wearing a "sundress" or shorts. Probably a dress as that's my preference, but it would have been a casual knit dress, knee length, since that is what I like to tour in. I have a consistent style. I wear what I wear, based on the applicable dress codes and the climate. I don't dress for others' pleasure, I dress for my own. I am not rude when I travel (I love to travel and try to always have a pleasant outlook & am polite to others), but neither do I care if anyone mistakes me for a tourist. I usually am, or at least a business visitor.

I have traveled in Italy in October. It was nice but not hot. I wore long pants. Didn't pack any shorts or capris. Short sleeved shirts with a jacket or sweater will work well. Pack a couple of skirts if it does get too warm.

Also plan on some rain. Umbrellas and light weight rain jacket. We had a few days of rain.

Comfortable shoes are a must.

I'm assuming from your signature that you are going in May 2016. I was in Europe from 5/1 to 5/10 last year. We were in the UK and France.

The weather is up and down: it can be very warm, then overcast and windy. I recommend you take lightweight clothes that can be layered. Also, there's a lot of walking in Europe, so you will warm up quickly with the exercise. That's why I recommend light clothing, too.

I took a black microfiber jacket, and I can't rave enough about having it with me. It never wrinkles, provides warmth even on 50-degree days with a layer underneath. Black goes with everything, and it could be rolled up and in my purse at any time.

I tend to have warm feet, so I wore good walking sandals. With all the walking, even on cooler days I was very comfortable. For more coverage I also took my Bernie Mev shoes. They are super lightweight, very good soles, and are a good alternative to the walking sandals.

I wore lightweight jersey knit slacks almost every day, and blouses. I found tee shirts made me too hot with all the walking.

If you are planning to use any metro system be aware that they do NOT air condition their stations in Europe (well, not in London or Paris), and you can get very warm on the trains.

May is warm weather in Europe, plus it's pretty humid, so light and layered is the way to go.

You're a tourist, going to a tourist spot.....don't worry. You will never look "native", snapping pictures and wandering around the points of interest. Wear what's comfortable! Dress for the weather.

Well, not necessarily.

I suspect if someone is on a cruise excursion with 50 other cruise passengers, wearing a number, toting a camera, and listening to a guide then yes, you will look like a tourist.

But not everyone travels that way. If you are sightseeing on your own (entirely possibly in many European ports due to good public transportation systems), and if you take smart precautions such as not walking around with a map in your hands or your camera around your neck, then it is entirely possible that you will NOT look like a tourist.

The idea of not looking like a tourist is not simply vanity. It can help protect one from the attentions of pickpockets, and others that take advantage of people in unfamiliar surroundings.

Well, not necessarily.

I suspect if someone is on a cruise excursion with 50 other cruise passengers, wearing a number, toting a camera, and listening to a guide then yes, you will look like a tourist.

But not everyone travels that way. If you are sightseeing on your own (entirely possibly in many European ports due to good public transportation systems), and if you take smart precautions such as not walking around with a map in your hands or your camera around your neck, then it is entirely possible that you will NOT look like a tourist.

The idea of not looking like a tourist is not simply vanity. It can help protect one from the attentions of pickpockets, and others that take advantage of people in unfamiliar surroundings.

I agree. My son and I used my ipad for maps and metro routes. However, that didn't stop someone from stealing his phone out of his pocket outside the Louvre. But, that's another story........................

I personally think this is a myth ...

Maybe some of the older residents dress conservatively, but the younger ones sure don't! We've had quite a few trips to Europe, and the 20 & 30 somethings don't dress any differently than Americans in that age group ... some of them are quite wild. Some of them look great, others ... well ... interesting ...

We recently spent three weeks on a cruise with mostly British passengers, and most of them would've fit right in any American town or city. Nor have we ever felt out of place in Europe dressed in our excursion clothes.

London and most European cities are such multi-cultural places these days that really anything goes. There are stereotypes about nationalities which may still exist but you shouldn't worry. Also there are so many tourists around that an individual dressed to their own taste is never going to stand out. I think the main thing is how you behave and as long as you do not appear loud, brash and opinionated, whatever nationality you are, you'll be fine.

Edited by tartanexile81

I personally think this is a myth ...

Maybe some of the older residents dress conservatively, but the younger ones sure don't! We've had quite a few trips to Europe, and the 20 & 30 somethings don't dress any differently than Americans in that age group ... some of them are quite wild. Some of them look great, others ... well ... interesting ...

We recently spent three weeks on a cruise with mostly British passengers, and most of them would've fit right in any American town or city. Nor have we ever felt out of place in Europe dressed in our excursion clothes.

On land I found people living in London, the Midlands, and Paris to wear really dark clothing, which is pretty common for Europeans in general. They just change the weight of the fabric they wear. Like I said above, I spent 10 days in the UK and France, riding the Eurostar back and forth, on the Paris metro and London Tube off and on most days and evenings, and Europeans don't wear brightly colored clothes. They wear lots of jeans, muted colors, and lots and lots of black. I saw all age groups, too.

On landThey wear lots of jeans, muted colors, and lots and lots of black. I saw all age groups, too.

Just returned from 6 weeks in central London with my entire wardrobe in black,

Black/ white and some silver gray. As always for the last many years it was perfect as it would be in NY as well.......

Interesting ... we just had a month-long cruise in Europe followed by a week in London ... many tourists everywhere we went, most of them European, dressed in lots of different colors.

Just goes to show, we go the same places but see different things!

I will say that the most fashionable women I have seen in Europe (hmm, anywhere, actually) were in Rome. Not all of them, of course, but some absolutely stunning ensembles. The most amazing thing about some of those were the extreme stiletto heels being worn on the old stone streets ... no difficulties or tripping! I can barely manage the cobblestones in my good walking shoes!

Interesting ... we just had a month-long cruise in Europe followed by a week in London ... many tourists everywhere we went, most of them European, dressed in lots of different colors.

Just goes to show, we go the same places but see different things!

I will say that the most fashionable women I have seen in Europe (hmm, anywhere, actually) were in Rome. Not all of them, of course, but some absolutely stunning ensembles. The most amazing thing about some of those were the extreme stiletto heels being worn on the old stone streets ... no difficulties or tripping! I can barely manage the cobblestones in my good walking shoes!

I was actually referring to the locals in my post above, not tourists.