Shareholders Benefit - Is this a record?

Corfe Mixture

Unlike the US office where they don't accept e-mail applications, here in the UK, we are actively encouraged to make our shareholder benefit applications by e-mail.

This morning my Broker's Statement arrived around 10.15 and, by 10.45 I had scanned it into my computer and redacted it. FWIW, I scanned it as a bitmap (.bmp file), redacted it using paint - very easy using 'Select' and 'Cut' - and then saved it as an image (.jpg file) .

I then phoned Princess to see if they still accept e-mail applications, only to be told that, not only do they accept them, but it is their preferred method. (Actually, there is no reason why it shouldn't be acceptable provided there are no links in the covering e-mail and Princess' e-mail system scans the attached image file before opening it.)

Whatever, having confirmed that e-mail was still an acceptable method of applying, I e-mailed my application at 11.09.

At 11.10 I received an automated reply, confirming receipt and saying that they would reply within 10 days.

At 11.36 I received an e-mail saying that they had added the OBC to my booking and that they were sending an updated booking.

At 11.38 the updated Booking Confirmation arrived as an attachment to an e-mail.

Just 29 minutes from submitting the application to being in possession of a new Booking Confirmation showing the Shareholder's OBC.

Is this a record?

Edited by Corfe Mixture

Wow - beats ours. We just submitted ours last week and it took about 2 days before I saw it pop up in our docs. Doesn't it feel great to get that extra perk, particularly without needing to follow-up. Congratulations!

Its strange that P&O don't allow any emails with attachments and I'm sure its the same person at Carnival House Southampton that applies the shareholder benefit as the normal mail address is to Carnival Shareholder Benefits!

We have recently bought shares, can you tell me what email address the application goes to. Thanks

benefits@princesscruises.co.uk,

I do not send the official form in, but instead put the following as the body of my e-mail.

"Good morning,

Could I please apply for my Shareholder Benefits of $XXX for my forthcoming cruise on ******* Princess departing DATE.

The details requested on the Shareholder Benefit request from are:

Booking reference: ******

Ship name: ***** Princess

Sailing Date: Day Month 201*

Last name: *******

First name: *****

Telephone number: ***** ******

Email address: ********@***

I attach a copy of my latest brokers statement clearly showing my share ownership. Could you please confirm receipt of this by email.

Kindest regards

* * *********"

As I said in my first post I scan the brokers report as a bitmap file. Use Select and Cut to remove the unwanted bits and then do a "Save As" having selected the .jpg format. I then attach the jpg file to the e-mail

When I read the title of this thread, I thought it was about accummulating enough OBC to offset the initial investment to buy the 100 shares of CCL. That is my goal, but I have quite a way to go. :D

Its strange that P&O don't allow any emails with attachments and I'm sure its the same person at Carnival House Southampton that applies the shareholder benefit as the normal mail address is to Carnival Shareholder Benefits!

Not the same person and not the same e-mail address.

In terms of people, P&O is handled by Karen Hawkins and an assistant who's name I can't remember.

Princess is handled by David Organ (unless he has moved on in the last twelve months) and an assistant. This year my reply came from Grace (?) who will either have taken over from David or is his assistant.

Being in the US I have to fax but I send the fax, wait 20 minutes, call the proper extension number at Princess, and they apply it immediately and send me the confirmation. I've had it done in maybe 30 minutes at the quickest. When work interfered I wasn't able to call as quickly but still got it applied immediately by calling.

Note: I had intended to provide the extension number to call for verification but it seems I don't have it on this computer. (I do most of my CC stuff at work. :rolleyes:)

Being in the US I have to fax but I send the fax, wait 20 minutes, call the proper extension number at Princess, and they apply it immediately and send me the confirmation. I've had it done in maybe 30 minutes at the quickest. When work interfered I wasn't able to call as quickly but still got it applied immediately by calling.

Note: I had intended to provide the extension number to call for verification but it seems I don't have it on this computer. (I do most of my CC stuff at work. :rolleyes:)

Phone number for confirming Shareholder OBC FAX has been received:

800 872 6779 ext. 30317

How much of a discount do you receive on a Alaska cruise if I use shares.

I am booking a family cruise next summer.

And how many shares will it take.

You don't receive a discount. If you own 100 shares of Carnival Corporation stock, you receive a credit to your (the shareholder's) onboard account, in an amount that varies depending upon the length of the cruise. I believe it's around $100 for a 7-day cruise, and goes up from there? No doubt someone will swiftly jump in and provide the accurate totals.

You don't receive a discount. If you own 100 shares of Carnival Corporation stock, you receive a credit to your (the shareholder's) onboard account, in an amount that varies depending upon the length of the cruise. I believe it's around $100 for a 7-day cruise, and goes up from there? No doubt someone will swiftly jump in and provide the accurate totals.

OBC from CCL Stock

Sailings of 6 days or less $50

Sailings of 7 - 13 days $100

Sailings of 14 days or longer $ 250

It's a shame they don't answer other emails as quick in the UK. I've emailed them with a query in September, I have resubmitted three times and I'm still waiting for a reply. I'm pretty appalled to be honest!

If you booked direct with Princess, then phone them on 023 806 55000 then option 1 followed by option 3. That will get you through to a real person who deals only with Princess direct clients.

I had a query yesterday, in that the cost of my transfer package went up when they posted my shareholder's OBC, meaning that it appeared I still owed them money (even though I have printed my boarding pass). A quick call to that number fixed it.

However that the number only works for direct bookings. If you booked through a TA, to avoid confusion in their relationship with the TA, they will insist that you deal through the TA.

I would hope that Princess here would go back to accepting email attachment forms. Currently I choose not to go through the fax method because we don't have a landline here in FL by choice and don't want to go through the 3rd party fax services, so we snail mail our forms in and it is usually done within 1 week from date of mailing.

I wonder if some shareholder benefit form submitters in the US tend not to cross out the account number on their brokerage evidence. If that is occurring, and I presume it does in at least a small percentage of submittals, email could be a privacy risk. Email is similar to sending a postcard through the mail and the unencrypted contents are not private during transmission via the Internet. Also, any electronic storage of unencrypted messages with account numbers and shareholder names could become a security risk for Princess. Many states have notification laws should electronic data, including financial account number and account owner information, become disclosed to an unauthorized party. Of course, Princess could delete the email messages, but this could be subject to human error. Solutions are available for secure email but they can be somewhat cumbersome. For these reasons, perhaps Princess decided to stick to postal mail and fax.

Fax is slightly more secure than email - but mismanaged fax hardcopy at the destination can still present a risk. Similar to postal submittals, fax hardcopy should be shredded after recording the benefit.

Just a thought from someone that spent many years in the cyber-security world.

Edited by ReturnCruiser

Fax is slightly more secure than email - but mismanaged fax hardcopy at the destination can still present a risk. Similar to postal submittals, fax hardcopy should be shredded after recording the benefit.

Just a thought from someone that spent many years in the cyber-security world.

I doubt Princess prints out those faxes.

They go to a computer and the department processes them using a computer screen view of the fax.

They go to a computer and the department processes them using a computer screen view of the fax.

Perhaps so. Using some type of a fax server is convenient. Many things to consider when securing such an environment. Nowadays, few folks have been spared from receiving some type of notification letter warning about some recent data breach. Unfortunately, it has become too common of an occurrence.

Bob

Yes here in Australia they will accept e-mails also and the turnover is very fast usually about less than 2 hours

Hi would you be able to share the email address you use? I faxed my details weeks ago but haven't seen anything in my account yet. Thanks