Kids in hot tubs?!?!

mrobstad

To my dismay, and that of several others, kids are allowed in hot tubs on the Getaway. Horrible decision, NCL. What happened to the notion it was unsafe for children? NCL has labeled hot tubs "Adult only" and then there's family friendly. I'm sorry, but the parents bring babies barely out of diapers and the other, younger children dive, splash and act like its a pool. Come on NCL- if there's been a demand for family hot tubs, put them in the Splash Zone since neither kids nor parents are reading the signs.

Umm, I going to sound completely wrong for this - You think a cruise line with a "Swim at your own risk" written policy on the sundeck, no life guards whatsoever and had how many publicized children drownings; CARES?!?![emoji15]

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

To my dismay, and that of several others, kids are allowed in hot tubs on the Getaway. Horrible decision, NCL. What happened to the notion it was unsafe for children? NCL has labeled hot tubs "Adult only" and then there's family friendly. I'm sorry, but the parents bring babies barely out of diapers and the other, younger children dive, splash and act like its a pool. Come on NCL- if there's been a demand for family hot tubs, put them in the Splash Zone since neither kids nor parents are reading the signs.

Dont like kids then maybe another line is better suited for you. Families are allowed to use the facilities the same as you.

6&8

The Adults Only signage in areas is to promote "safe havens" for adults that don't want to be around kids. On the Jewel, there are hot tubs in the kids splash zone (obviously shallower for small kid safety).

If you want a truly kids-free area, go to the thermal suite with the [very large] hydro therapy pool of hot, bubbling water

NCL is no different to many cruiselines with regards to lifeguards.

I would use the hot tubs in adult only areas (like spice H20 on EPIC) if I didn't want to be bombarded by kids.

As long as parents are keeping eye, I really don't mind.

The Adults Only signage in areas is to promote "safe havens" for adults that don't want to be around kids. On the Jewel, there are hot tubs in the kids splash zone (obviously shallower for small kid safety).

If you want a truly kids-free area, go to the thermal suite with the [very large] hydro therapy pool of hot, bubbling water

Do you need a spa pass for that?

Umm, I going to sound completely wrong for this - You think a cruise line with a "Swim at your own risk" written policy on the sundeck, no life guards whatsoever and had how many publicized children drownings; CARES?!?![emoji15]

You don't sound wrong. I make the same argument when people complain about chair hogging not being enforced.

I was just wondering, how many publicized children drownings have there been on NCL? Tried to look, but I only found one? Sounds like there have been many in the last couple of years, is this correct? Could you point me to the many drownings? I also thought that at the pool there were at least two hot tubs that were adults only?

Kids should really not be allowed in any hot tubs. It's an adult oriented feature, I mean, what do kids want with it anyway? What, they've been working hard and need to unwind? They've got sore muscles? Honestly there is so much kid oriented stuff on these cruises, especially Breakaway class, they get it all made just for them and it's totally free and we, the adults, are expected to pay extra to get away from them? (Which I do, for lack of a better option). Give me a break, we just want to chill with an adult beverage and soak a while without little kids splashing in our faces and ruining the whole experience. It's hard enough to compete with other grown ups for a spot in the hot tubs, never mind kids who act wild and stay there forever.

Groucho, are you says no that the pools then, should only be for children who like to splash and not adults who don't?

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you're asking. But I don't much care about the pools, they're typically too cold to use and I rarely go in them. Plus they are usually big enough to accommodate people relaxing and kids splashing around in my experience. Not so in hot tubs.

Dont like kids then maybe another line is better suited for you. Families are allowed to use the facilities the same as you.

6&8

Actually you are incorrect as some hot tubs are labeled adult only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my perfect world I would want a peaceful haven situation and hot tubs too... but I am only one of many on a cruise. There are many segments on board and my desires are not more important than others. There will be families. I don't have kids, but I love my nieces and nephews. I love to see them have a good time. Luckily, I have not had any situation in my cruises where the kids were over the top unruly. I enjoy them having a great vacation. I even cruised last April on the Jewel, during spring break time, and it was never a problem.

That being said, I am looking forward to getting the spa pass on the Jade next cruise. Curious and want to check it out.

I was just wondering, how many publicized children drownings have there been on NCL? Tried to look, but I only found one? Sounds like there have been many in the last couple of years, is this correct? Could you point me to the many drownings? I also thought that at the pool there were at least two hot tubs that were adults only?

You mean the 1 from earlier this year on the Gem and 2 separate drownings on the Breakaway from 2014? All made the national and international news because 3 out the 4 kids died in either the adult swimming pool or the hot tub with supposedly the child(ren) parent(s)/legal guardian(s) there.

There's a reason why they have "Swim at your risk" posted all over pools area - They 're not ones that's going to be burying the kid(s) if they drown in a adult pool on their ships, the parent(s)/legal guardian(s) are. So, if parent(s)/legal guardian(s) want to play Russian Roulette with the child(ren) lives in 4-7 feet of water - that's on them, not NCL or the other passengers that's following the rules.

Edited by maywell

You mean the 1 from earlier this year on the Gem and 2 separate drownings on the Breakaway from 2014? All made the national and international news because 3 out the 4 kids died in either the adult swimming pool or the hot tub with supposedly the child(ren) parent(s)/legal guardian(s) there.

There's a reason why they have "Swim at your risk" posted all over pools area - They 're not ones that's going to be burying the kid(s) if they drown in a adult pool on their ships, the parent(s)/legal guardian(s) are. So, if parent(s)/legal guardian(s) want to play Russian Roulette with the child(ren) lives in 4-7 feet of water - that's on them, not NCL or the other passengers that's following the rules.

I'm glad we seem to agree on three things. Very, very few children drown on NCL ships. They shouldn't be in the adult hot tubs and it's not an NCL issue, it's the parents/guardians.

I'm glad we seem to agree on three things. Very, very few children drown on NCL ships. They shouldn't be in the adult hot tubs and it's not an NCL issue, it's the parents/guardians.

I think what the real problem is that when a child does dies due to drowning on a cruise ship, people want to point the blame on the cruise lines. Even though there's plenty of signs around the pool(even kid's pool) that says "Swim at your own risk, NCL is not responsible for possible mishaps" and no real life guards to save anyone (if one thinks that workers keeping the kids out the adult pools are lifeguards -Umm, Heck no...)

No offense - that why most cruise lines put up those signs, in case child(ren) or adults do drown and/or die (Its rare, but it does happen). Whose fault? Sadly it the person that swam and/or the parent/guardian that was suppose to be watching them, fault....

It would be a good idea for you to go on a luxury line - oh wait, the kids still get in and monopolize the hot tubs. best choice would be to put a hot tub in your back yard.