Le Cirque Question

FloridaTourist

We are sailing on the Oosterdam April 18 for 12 days. We already have the Pinnacle Grill as part of the Explore 4 and we already booked the Canaletto. Now I see they will do a Le Cirque one night for $49pp. Is it really worth doing? Should I book it now or will I be able to book it while on board?

Here is a link to the Le Cirque menu as of May 2015.

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Le-Cirque.pdf

Only you can decide whether or not it is worth $49 or twice the regular Pinnacle Grill dinner. The presentation and the food are quite nice.

If you decide it is, then you should make reservations before embarkation as it does tend to fill up quickly.

We really liked the Le Cirque menu, and have happily done in for the last few years. It kind of depends on what you like, so it's probably best to look up the current menu and see if it floats your boat.

A related question - if Le Cirque is not on a formal/gala night, do most people dress up anyway or do they wear what they would for non-formal/gala nights. In particular, for a man, would a long-sleeve dress shirt be okay? With tie? Jacket?

A related question - if Le Cirque is not on a formal/gala night, do most people dress up anyway or do they wear what they would for non-formal/gala nights. In particular, for a man, would a long-sleeve dress shirt be okay? With tie? Jacket?

Depending on the itinerary, the length of the voyage, the demographics of the passengers and the position of the moon in Jupiter, you will see just about every combination, including jeans. Seriously, more people dress better than not, though not as much as formal or gala night.

p.s. Le Cirque is never on a formal night.

We are sailing on the Oosterdam April 18 for 12 days. We already have the Pinnacle Grill as part of the Explore 4 and we already booked the Canaletto. Now I see they will do a Le Cirque one night for $49pp. Is it really worth doing? Should I book it now or will I be able to book it while on board?

To be perfectly honest, I don't think it's worth it. The chateaubriand was delicious, but we weren't really blown away by any of the other courses. In fact, I think the MDR escargot was better than Le Cirque. Like you, we booked it because we got the others free. We don't regret doing it but in the future, I'd much prefer the regular Pinnacle menu.

IMO, yes, the Le Cirque dinner is well worth the cost, whether or not you have the three-, four- or five-star Mariner discount. There is no way to know ahead of time if Le Cirque will sell out, so if you feel as though you'd like to try it and have a preference as to dining time , I suggest you make your reservations (by 'phone at 1-800-541-1576) as soon as HAL starts accepting them for your cruise

Tastes in food are so subjective and variable... DW and I love the fare at Le Cirque (though somewhat less without the butternut squash soup). Give it a try and find out for yourself. If you're a wine drinker, the wine pairings are worth trying as well.

You'll be fine either way. I wear a jacket, but nice slacks and a collared shirt will be fine. Enjoy yourself.

... I love the fare at Le Cirque (though somewhat less without the butternut squash soup) ...

I agree - IMO the Butternut Squash with Huckleberries Soup, by itself, made the Le Cirque worth the price. Even with it, the Le Cirque is worth doing ...

I agree - IMO the Butternut Squash with Huckleberries Soup, by itself, made the Le Cirque worth the price. Even with it, the Le Cirque is worth doing ...

OOPS - this should've read "Even without it, the Le Cirque dinner is worth doing."

I suggest you make your reservations (by 'phone at 1-800-541-1576) as soon as HAL starts accepting them for your cruise

While you should reserve ahead, there's no need to call as you can do this on-line through the HAL web site.

Edited by dakrewser

IMO, yes, the Le Cirque dinner is well worth the cost, whether or not you have the three-, four- or five-star Mariner discount. There is no way to know ahead of time if Le Cirque will sell out, so if you feel as though you'd like to try it and have a preference as to dining time , I suggest you make your reservations (by 'phone at 1-800-541-1576) as soon as HAL starts accepting them for your cruise

It is much easier to do it online. I did that last week after you posted the Le Cirque menu, which tempted me to make the reservation.

While you should reserve ahead, there's no need to call as you can do this on-line through the HAL web site.

It is much easier to do it online. I did that last week after you posted the Le Cirque menu, which tempted me to make the reservation.

Agreed. I made my reservations online and it was quick and painless.

• 5 months later...

Had Le cirque dinner on the Oosterdam 2 nights ago. Have the sea bass. It was probably the best we have had. Also the pineapple dessert is so so good.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by FloridaTourist

Had Le cirque dinner on the Oosterdam 2 nights ago. Have the sea bass. It was probably the best we have had. Also the pineapple dessert is so so good.

We will usually splurge on it once a cruise. It is always good, the crème brulee is the best ever.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Good to hear that you enjoyed your Le Cirque dinner. I hope the rest of your cruise was as enjoyable.

We did Pinnacle Grill twice plus Le Cirque in January aboard the Oo'dam and had a fabulous meal both times. We ate at Caneletto twice and had great meals and service. You owe it to yourself to try any and all specialty dining opportunities at least once. It's a great opportunity to experience something new at a bargain compared to what you'd pay onshore. We had very enjoyable meals in the MDR as well, but the superb level of service at the specialty venues, combined with their menus and outstanding quality, make them something we repeat every cruise.

I'm aware that the Le Cirque dinner is $49 pp. How much extra is it when you select the wine pairings ? I don't see that option when you try to reserve it online. Also, does the 25% discount for a 3-star mariner apply to just the dinner, or both the dinner with the wine parings ?

Thanks

Ever since Le Cirque was started in late 2010, we have done them on all of our cruises.

I'm glad you liked it, guys, but once was enough for my wife and I. Maybe we should give it another try since our first was the first time it was ever offered, but we found the food "meh". We've also had inconsistent experiences at the Pinnacle Grill, so there could have been a variety of reasons we didn't enjoy Le Cirque, but in any event we've not been the least bit tempted to try it again since that first let-down.