Lido Buffet Hours

HectorAchilleus

Am I the only one that thinks that the Lido Buffet hours should be expanded. There are many times when we get back from an excursion, or want a late evening snack and the only choice is pizza. Also, I think that starting the lunch at 11:30 would keep the lines at 12:00-1:00 down somewhat. There are a lot of people who eat an early breakfast and would like to eat earlier.

We have never really run into this issue...we are usually back on board by 2 and at least one buffet is still active. In addition to pizza there is also the deli. We "save" those if we know we will have a late shore day. Also we eat at early seating so if we are back late sometimes a snack is all we want.

Am I the only one that thinks that the Lido Buffet hours should be expanded. There are many times when we get back from an excursion, or want a late evening snack and the only choice is pizza. Also, I think that starting the lunch at 11:30 would keep the lines at 12:00-1:00 down somewhat. There are a lot of people who eat an early breakfast and would like to eat earlier.

Seems to me the the grill (or guys burgers) and deli are open till about 6pm. And of course there is always room service.

Availability of food is not something I could ever complain about on a cruise ship...unless I want to complain there is too much access!

Try Princess, their buffet is open continuously from 6 am to 11 pm. International Cafe is 24 hour.

It's especially nice if you come back from port and you can get fruit, salad, or dessert. Wish Carnival would copy Princess.

I love the International Cafe. All kinds of sandwiches and salads. Breakfast they have fresh donuts.

In the evening we always get a cheese plate with cheeses and nuts while listening to the band in the atrium. Very nice and relaxing.

I also wish Carnival did this.

OP, I have to agree with the lunch thing. We eat breakfast early..around 6:30 or 7am and would like to eat lunch a little earlier but I doubt they would ever change that.

I agree that the hours are not very convenient. I have returned from excursions (that didn't include tons of food), only to find that soggy oil-drenched pizza as the only real option. On Breeze, Boy's Burgers was nice to have open through the afternoon, but no grill on the ship means no food late in the evening. Once the buffet closes around 8pm, your only option is pizza. I get hungry after dancing & running around the ship in the evening, and any ship with Guys burgers has nothing but pizza, which means there's always a very long wait for it. On ships without Guys burgers, the grill remains open, serving up more & different food for those late evening cravings.

Edited by k2excursion

Simple answer is to enjoy the port food (which is always tastier anyway).

Even when we have had excursions we have tried to pick up local street food etc on the way back to the ship and ate it before we boarded.

With room service,pizza and the deli it hardly seems like one would go hungry.

We have never had much of a problem during the day, we like going back to our room after a port, getting freshened up, and then ordering room service. We like the room service offerings and especially if nothing on the buffet appeals to us.

What I wish they would really improve on is the late night offerings. They just don't have much other than pizza. Our last cruise on the Liberty after 11pm there was nothing. I think we found a station open one evening that was serving grilled cheese "bites" but they were cold and looked like they had been cooked hours ago?

As mentioned by others, there is pizza, room service, the deli and Guys is open until 6.

My complaint was that Guy's closed at 6 and the buffet at dinner didn't open until 6:30. Very inconvenient if you choose not to eat at the MDR and when some want burgers and some want buffet. They need to extend one or the other to at least be close. Half ate burgers while the other half watched, then visa versa.

I love the International Cafe. All kinds of sandwiches and salads. Breakfast they have fresh donuts.

In the evening we always get a cheese plate with cheeses and nuts while listening to the band in the atrium. Very nice and relaxing.

I also wish Carnival did this.

OP, I have to agree with the lunch thing. We eat breakfast early..around 6:30 or 7am and would like to eat lunch a little earlier but I doubt they would ever change that.

I would think that typically you're paying more for a Princess cruise than a Carnival cruise - that may be why there are more options.

In reference to the hours of the Lido - they're open during what would normally be lunch and dinner for most people. I can imagine that it would be very wasteful - both in food and staff - for the buffet to remain open all day and night to accomodate the few that came back from an excursion or wanted to eat a meal after 8:00 p.m.

The deli is open until 10:00 - but it would be nice to have some type of small snacks available for those of us that may be out late. However, I agree with those that suggest room service - they have some really great sandwiches!

Order from room service if you are that hungry. Never had an issue with being hungry on a cruise, ever! :rolleyes:

The thing is that we often return from the port and the buffet is closed, leaving only pizza (or burgers on a 2.0 ship), but we would like something lite like a salad, chicken fingers, etc. Since there are usually several of us, we do not want to order room service and eat in our rooms. Also, the pizza lines are usually insane at that time - another indication that more food options are needed.

The thing is that we often return from the port and the buffet is closed, leaving only pizza (or burgers on a 2.0 ship), but we would like something lite like a salad, chicken fingers, etc. Since there are usually several of us, we do not want to order room service and eat in our rooms. Also, the pizza lines are usually insane at that time - another indication that more food options are needed.

I am sorry you are unhappy with the hours and I get your frustration. But I think most of us just accept is as a given - I think some down time helps maintain the staff and food quality - and work around it. As others have said, sample the food ashore. Its often wonderful! That way you won't need a snack upon your return.

If you would prefer extended hours or overlap (makes sense) let John Heald know or let them know on your post cruise survey. It's a reasonable request but unless the proper people are informed they won't hear the request.

I am an early riser and have found myself sitting around waiting for the breakfast buffet to open. Yes, coffee is available. Then eventually they make the sliced melon and some other items available. Then another long wait until the full breakfast buffet is available.

Ordering room service in that case disturbs others in the cabin.

I am an early riser and have found myself sitting around waiting for the breakfast buffet to open. Yes, coffee is available. Then eventually they make the sliced melon and some other items available. Then another long wait until the full breakfast buffet is available.

Ordering room service in that case disturbs others in the cabin.

And by then there are 2 of you waiting:D