Sea-Bands for Seasickness

Lea.B

Hello

Has anyone used Sea-Bands/wristbands to stop seasickness? Do they really work? Only ever used Kwells as a preventative on day cruises to Barrier Reef. Not sure if we even get seasick, but when there's been a lot of people turning green onboard, we've been fine. Don't like the idea of taking medications that cause drowsiness for the whole cruise. Travelling on Carnival Spirit. Thanks.

I get a very mild version of motion sickness, just a faint headache and sense of lightheadedness if I try to read. On my recent cruise I really noticed the difference when I put a Sea Band on and then again in the morning when I forgot, and the feeling came back. They either work or are a very good placebo!

My DS is more prone to carsickness etc so I went the full gamut with him but like you wanted to avoid drowsiness, he is unbearably cranky when tired! So in addition to a Sea Band he had ginger/herbal based tablets during the day and just a Kwell overnight. He reported a couple of mild waves of nausea while indoors but they didn't amount to anything.

I used the sea bands in 2011 on our Asian cruise, but found my hands swelled from the pressure on my wrists. It was pretty rough on the Indian Ocean and I didn't get sea sick, so they must have worked, although I was also taking Travacalm as well.

Now, I take Avomine, 1 every night, whether rough or not and that works for me.

A lot swear by the Gingercalm but I find they burn in my stomach.

Hope that helps you.

We take ginger jubes if it starts to get a bit bumpy with good effect. You can often get the Buderim brand at Woollies in Oz. When preparing for a cruise we make certain we pack a couple of packets in our bags. If you can't get the jubes crystallised ginger works just as well.

Edited by ozziepost

I use the bands when white caps appear. They appear to work for me (or at least I think they do). If it starts to get really rough I eat a GREEN apple with the SKIN ON they are usually found in the buffet or you can ask your waiter to bring you one.

I now carry crystallised ginger pieces with me just in case for extra drug free sea sickness prevention.

Of all the above I have found the green apple to work the best. A crew member told me about them. It's something in the skin of them.

The hard bit on the band does give you a sore wrist so don't wear it all the time. Use only when needed and don't sleep with it on as you will need it more during the day when you want to be up and around.

Karryl

I'm not sure if they still sell them but I bought my sea bands from the Reject Shop for only $2.

Not sure if they do any good (maybe I wouldn't get sick anyway or maybe it's the placebo effect) but I figure that they don't do me any harm.

Sea bands will work for some people but you HAVE to place them on the correct pressure point, most people just slap them on the wrong place, now what REALLY works are the electronic RELIEF bands, they look like a watch, they contain a small battery and send a pulse of current into the pressure point on your wrist they cost around $120 but are worth every cent, they last about 120 hours if you dont have the model that you can change the battery. You apply a very small amount of conductive gell on your wrist and adjust the contact point till you feel the maximum electrical pulse, its only just a mild tingle.

I am one of the 30% of people that get motion sickness, and have tried all cures.

Prevention is better than a cure.

One of the best medicines is Meclizine, start taking them at night 4 days before the cruise, they have very little side effects, what makes me sick is when the ship pitches, thats when the front and back of the ship pitch up and down, rolling is ok, thats when I turn on the RELIEF band, which has no side effects at all, they have 5 power levels I run mine at 3-4 depending on how I feel, as soon as you wake up in the morning take GINGER even if you are feeling ok, I find the BEST is the powdered ginger root capsules from Chemist warehouse, the other types work ok to, I eat the ginger gummy bears during the day.

Good luck

Edited by 6666oz

Sea bands will work for some people but you HAVE to place them on the correct pressure point, most people just slap them on the wrong place, now what REALLY works are the electronic RELIEF bands, they look like a watch, they contain a small battery and send a pulse of current into the pressure point on your wrist they cost around $120 but are worth every cent, they last about 120 hours if you dont have the model that you can change the battery. You apply a very small amount of conductive gell on your wrist and adjust the contact point till you feel the maximum electrical pulse, its only just a mild tingle.

I am one of the 30% of people that get motion sickness, and have tried all cures.

Prevention is better than a cure.

One of the best medicines is Meclizine, start taking them at night 4 days before the cruise, they have very little side effects, what makes me sick is when the ship pitches, thats when the front and back of the ship pitch up and down, rolling is ok, thats when I turn on the RELIEF band, which has no side effects at all, they have 5 power levels I run mine at 3-4 depending on how I feel, as soon as you wake up in the morning take GINGER even if you are feeling ok, I find the BEST is the powdered ginger root capsules from Chemist warehouse, the other types work ok to, I eat the ginger gummy bears during the day.

Good luck

Thanks for the information, as a person who gets sea sick and loves cruising I need all the help I can get. I haven't heard of these relief bands but will look them up.

Hello

Has anyone used Sea-Bands/wristbands to stop seasickness? Do they really work? Only ever used Kwells as a preventative on day cruises to Barrier Reef. Not sure if we even get seasick, but when there's been a lot of people turning green onboard, we've been fine. Don't like the idea of taking medications that cause drowsiness for the whole cruise. Travelling on Carnival Spirit. Thanks.

This was suggested by our doctor....take Avomine at night starting two days before boarding and continue for the duration of the cruise. Take one Stemetil every morning during cruise. We stuck to this and were fine, the Avomine did not make us drowsy as we took it when we were ready for bed and I think you can take Stemetil 3 times a day if necessary.

Happy Cruising [emoji568]

This was suggested by our doctor....take Avomine at night starting two days before boarding and continue for the duration of the cruise. Take one Stemetil every morning during cruise. We stuck to this and were fine, the Avomine did not make us drowsy as we took it when we were ready for bed and I think you can take Stemetil 3 times a day if necessary.

Happy Cruising [emoji568]

Yep, my wife can take it 3 times a day if needed.

Check with your doctor about medications contraindicating with your current ones. I learned the hard way that the Meclizine that RCCL gave out mucked up my epilepsy medication. I was in the bathroom at the time and ended up faceplanting into the vanity. Two blackeyes on New Years Eve and the rest of our first cruise. Wonderful.

Gingerale, Travelcalm, and Queasybead bracelets are what I use now.

For our first cruise (more than 30 years ago) my doctor prescribed Stemetil. We had very rough weather and I took a tablet. I really regretted it. The Stemetil doesn't stop you feeling sick, it just stops you from throwing up. I was praying I could throw up because I knew I would feel a bit better, if only for a short while. I would never take Stemetil for seasickness.

Ginger is OK. I used to take Travelcalm (not the herbal one), but I have found that Avomine is better. It is what is recommended on the ships.:)

Hello

I wear one on just the one wrist and it serves to remind me that I will not get sick. For me, it is warding off the thoughts and that does the trick.:D

For our first cruise (more than 30 years ago) my doctor prescribed Stemetil. We had very rough weather and I took a tablet. I really regretted it. The Stemetil doesn't stop you feeling sick, it just stops you from throwing up. I was praying I could throw up because I knew I would feel a bit better, if only for a short while. I would never take Stemetil for seasickness.

I've found that Stemetil is quite effective in reducing nausea.

Thank you all for your replies and advice. Another question, if you were prone to seasickness, would you normally feel sick for the entire cruise or would it only happen when seas were rough or at the beginning/end of cruise, close to land? If I purchase travel medications, I'm probably going to need many packets as the instructions on some meds say to take four a day (and come in packs of ten).

Thank you all for your replies and advice. Another question, if you were prone to seasickness, would you normally feel sick for the entire cruise or would it only happen when seas were rough or at the beginning/end of cruise, close to land? If I purchase travel medications, I'm probably going to need many packets as the instructions on some meds say to take four a day (and come in packs of ten).

It varies for different people, some need stuff all the time while others only when it gets choppy. Note that the more you think about being sick the more sick you will feel.

Only take them when it gets rough, but this isn't necessarily when you are close to land. Avomine is recommended on the ship. It is available at Chemist Warehouse for $9.60 (last time I bought it) for a pack of 30. The normal dosage is one every 24 hours. You have to speak to a pharmacist to obtain it.

I am susceptible to seasickness and do not have to take a tablet on every cruise - only occasionally and then only one on one day.

Edited by Aus Traveller

I'm currently on the Diamond Princess where it was very lumpy the past two days crossing the Bight. I used the bands in the daytime together with Travelcalm Ginger and the combination of the two worked very well for me. The seas are a lot calmer today heading into Adelaide and all I've taken is a couple of pieces of crystallised ginger with breakfast and I feel fine.

I found the bands do make the back of my hands swell a little bit so I would only use them when really necessary.

I'm currently on the Diamond Princess where it was very lumpy the past two days crossing the Bight. I used the bands in the daytime together with Travelcalm Ginger and the combination of the two worked very well for me. The seas are a lot calmer today heading into Adelaide and all I've taken is a couple of pieces of crystallised ginger with breakfast and I feel fine.

I found the bands do make the back of my hands swell a little bit so I would only use them when really necessary.

Enjoy Adelaide, and hope the seas are calmer for the rest of the cruise.:D