Many missed NCL Sun sailing today

DAllenTCY

Four shots were fired from inside an apartment complex. No one was injured. Thousands of people own guns and live near airports. Anyone could at anytime step outside and fire at planes. This situation held almost no increase in the odds of that happening, yet they diverted planes.

This is what we in Canada refer to as the American illusion of safety. Like your airport body scanners and removal shoes, these procedures give you the opportunity to feel safer even though those procedures do not actually increase your safety at all.

I feel bad for all the people who had their vacations ruined because of fear.

You need to do your research....i live a mile away and was listening to the police scanner . multiple witnesses from the apartment complex and buildings nearby claimed to hear more than four fired. A handful more. He fired at policemen, he fired at other buildings and he fired up on the air. There was no OVERREACTION in doing a ground stop on incoming flights by any stretch of the imagination...I too feel bad for all those whose vacations were ruined... But what the police and FAA did was a very wise decision.

Edited by SoCalGuy1904

It certainly reads from the newspaper reports and the postings from the "San Diegans" that the right action was taken.

Congratulations to the police for getting the difficult job done with no injuries and commiserations to those whose holidays got off to a bad start.

I hope everyone was able to catch up with the Star in Huatulco.

Mike

Only shut down if they are occurring 400 feet under the arriving airliners, and the shooter is firing randomly at anything and everything.

Here ya go. Read this...a factual accounting....and then tell me again yours (or whoever) source of "4 contained shots not threatening anybody", and I'll send that corrected info to my cousin on the SD police department.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Shooting-San-Diego-Laurel-Gunshots-340219382.html

This is exactly the kind of panic/extraneous info that causes paranoid, overreacting decisions.

Of what relevance is your brother's job? Or my brother's job, or my aunt's preferred soap opera every second Wednesday?

Four shots were fired from inside an apartment complex. No one was injured. Thousands of people own guns and live near airports. Anyone could at anytime step outside and fire at planes. This situation held almost no increase in the odds of that happening, yet they diverted planes.

This is what we in Canada refer to as the American illusion of safety. Like your airport body scanners and removal shoes, these procedures give you the opportunity to feel safer even though those procedures do not actually increase your safety at all.

I feel bad for all the people who had their vacations ruined because of fear.

I'm down here and agree with you..... Security is an illusion.

77 guests missed the cruise. Some had insurance, many didn't. Even thought the cruise portion may be refunded/credited....flight costs would not be, nor rental car or taxi expenses for those without insurance.

David

Edited by DAllenTCY

77 guests missed the cruise. Some had insurance, many didn't. Even thought the cruise portion may be refunded/credited....flight costs would not be, nor rental car or taxi expenses for those without insurance.

I don't think anyone without trip insurance is compensated for this. Not on the cruise cost, not on the air travel, and they will not be reimbursed for the costs of reaching the first port.

One poster said the UK travel protections would require NCL to do something. I have no idea, but that might be why the UK bookings cost more. For Americans, at least, neither NCL nor the airlines have to pony up a dime. Even if NCL arranged the air travel to the port. Even if NCL arranged the air travel and had you coming in an hour before sailing. NCL bears no responsibility for late flights.

I believe it is the same for Aussie and Kiwi passengers too.

I'm in the "buy trip insurance" camp generally, and on a trip that costs this much, I would definitely have it.

Diverting flights was a gross over reaction in my opinion. It is terrible that some missed the cruise because of a lone gunman.

I agree. I was on the Sun that arrived in SD that day. We didn't leave that day but stayed a day. On Thursday we took a tour of San Diego and saw the house where the shooting occurred. It was near the airport, but not that close. This guy wasn't intent at shooting at planes, but anyone any day could.

The UK protections don't apply here, those mostly relate to providers going out of business. Some UK providers do package insurance into their offerings, those would help.

If you missed the cruise and did not have insurance you either can try to catch up to the ship OR eat the cost of the cruise.

If you do have insurance, either they will cover the cost of getting to the ship and/or pro rate missed days depending on the specifics of the policy.

My personal policy is that if air travel is involved, insurance is purchased. If I am driving its much more of a case to case basis. The way the air system is in the US right now there's simply no easy way to recover from a delay or cancellation.

I agree. I was on the Sun that arrived in SD that day. We didn't leave that day but stayed a day. On Thursday we took a tour of San Diego and saw the house where the shooting occurred. It was near the airport, but not that close. This guy wasn't intent at shooting at planes, but anyone any day could.

Anyone any day can do anything. But on that day, one guy was doing some angry shooting. And no, it wasn't about proximity to the airport. It was proximity to the low flight path of the planes going almost over the guy. They would have been positioned perfectly for a nice easy pot shot as they flew past. Oh....well.....maybe he wouldn't have done so though......maybe.....I guess...why didn't they just take a chance......

David

Just curious where did you see that info? I must have missed it.;)

David works for the cruise port when ships come into San Diego, his information is always valid. I live in a high rise that overlooks the port and can say the traffic was impacted. The FAA made the right move in shutting down the airport.

Those of you who do not purchase insurance to cover trip, do you at least purchase medical and medical evacuation insurance??

Those who think buying your air through the cruise line means they'll get you to the next port, nope, they will simply assist you in finding hotel or flights but will not pay for them. As someone else mentioned, the cruise line is simply acting as an agent. Read the small print and especially notice the vague wording.

David works for the cruise port when ships come into San Diego, his information is always valid. I live in a high rise that overlooks the port and can say the traffic was impacted. The FAA made the right move in shutting down the airport.

You live in San Diego AND in a high-rise with port views??? So envious on this one!

This California native is landlocked in Dallas.

Those of you who do not purchase insurance to cover trip, do you at least purchase medical and medical evacuation insurance??

Those who think buying your air through the cruise line means they'll get you to the next port, nope, they will simply assist you in finding hotel or flights but will not pay for them. As someone else mentioned, the cruise line is simply acting as an agent. Read the small print and especially notice the vague wording.

I think that people who buy trip insurance are wasting their money in most cases.

We always arrive the day before and as we are cruising out of Bush in Houston we are staying a night before traveling home....that is the insurance that I need. Two extra nights of vacation...

I think that people who buy trip insurance are wasting their money in most cases.

We always arrive the day before and as we are cruising out of Bush in Houston we are staying a night before traveling home....that is the insurance that I need. Two extra nights of vacation...

In most cases the insurance is waste of money. But when it's needed, it's worth all the times it has been wasted.

I always hope that the insurance shall be a waste of money!!!

I had a 10k medical bill for my son. Insurance is worth it.

The chances are you'll never need it. If you do then it can save you an awful lot of money.

I hope you never do need it.

In most cases the insurance is waste of money. But when it's needed, it's worth all the times it has been wasted.

I always hope that the insurance shall be a waste of money!!!

Exactly. Insurance is never purchased hoping you will get to use it. You hope you will go a life time and never have a situation requiring an insurance claim, and that all your insurance premiums will have been just money down the drain. That is what you are hoping for. But......the day you do unfortunately need it, without it, things can be catastrophic. So it is an investment based on chance. And, out of country medical costs especially could be so catastrophic, I'll never go without cruise insurance.

Precisely. If insurance was value-for-money, insurance companies wouldn't be in business.

Travel insurance is a tax on the uninformed.

As you suggest, instead of being a sucker, use the money you would have blown on premiums for extra vacation days.

Precisely. If insurance was value-for-money, insurance companies wouldn't be in business.

Travel insurance is a tax on the uninformed.

As you suggest, instead of being a sucker, use the money you would have blown on premiums for extra vacation days.

What you are saying could be true if only insuring value of cruise and flight, but trip insurance also includes medical (for USA folks, your medical insurance plan probably does not cover costs out of the country), and medical evacuation which could cost at the very least $10,000 and probably closer to $50,000. Are you prepared to pay that if you have a medical emergency?

Edited by NMLady

No your treated to a HUGE bill. Onboard treatment, if needed emergency evacuation from ship (thousands of dollars) plus treatment in a foreign port. All at your expense. I've read people have had bills upwards of 50k for an average emergency care overseas.

And in most cases NOT covered by personal health insurance.

I'm wondering.... suppose one doesn't have insurance and a medical emergency occurs. do the people not transport you home? are you stuck in the foreign port? I don't know what happens. but these posts say to me that you aren't treated?

On several cruises I've seen persons evacuated on stretcher to foreign port medical services. During one Panama Canal crossing, not once, but twice evacuation occurred. One was while we were in a lock that had already been lowered. The lock had to be filled again and the ship raised up to a level with surrounding terrain so the gangway could be used. The person on a stretcher and several family members I guess were loaded onto a waiting Panama City ambulance and rode away. That would be a very bad feeling....as you look over your shoulder and watch the ship disappear. And I cannot even imagine the cost that Panama (or any country) would be charging for this. And you would now need transportation, possibly medical evac flight, back home. You could easily be looking at $50K, probably more. My wife's knee replacement recently was $50K.

I think that's a very distinguishing point. Many on here speak of trip insurance and mean medical insurance....and vice versa.

Personally, I already have a comprehensive medical insurance plan that I purchase, on a annual basis. As a Canadian who travels frequently to the US, this policy covers all my travel outside of my country (and province). It is not "trip" insurance. I come and go freely and frequently to the states (or wherever I wish). I don't personally buy trip insurance. I will roll with it if I need hotels or airfare or whatever because I missed a cruise. That part of the equation is an acceptable risk, for me personally. The medical side of things is not an acceptable risk. For that I'm insured.