Many missed NCL Sun sailing today

DAllenTCY

I'd be interested in hearing from those that were left that DID have the NCL trip insurance, how much money they actually received. Many of these plans have so many exclusions, that having it is no guarantee it will pay. They will call this a terrorist event and exclude it.

I'd be interested in hearing from those that were left that DID have the NCL trip insurance, how much money they actually received. Many of these plans have so many exclusions, that having it is no guarantee it will pay. They will call this a terrorist event and exclude it.

I would love to hear from anyone about what they received and from whom as we can all learn from their experience.

Mike

49erfan007 If you don't have insurance you are on your own. There are also some really good Visa cards that offer some protection so one may get some compensation if you used that card to pay. Thankfully I have never been in that position. Gets to be a really expensive lesson I don't wish on anyone. Go Seahawks :)

Unless you absolutely can't get and extra day off I always wonder why anyone wouldn't come in a day before?????????? SanDiego is a great place to see before the cruise along with alot of the other cruiseports.

Very nice answer from a "Twelve" to a niner fan. Niners are up against Atlanta as I type this. Maybe the new QB will work out for them. Go Hawks!!! (Hope to see them pay in Santa Clara on the big screen as we sail away on Feb 7th)

Sorry for going off topic...It's the Red Zone rubbing off on me!

I'm wondering.... suppose one doesn't have insurance and a medical emergency occurs. do the people not transport you home? are you stuck in the foreign port? I don't know what happens. but these posts say to me that you aren't treated?

In a medical emergency the cruise line will put you ashore at the nearest port, or if you are near the US, call the Coast Guard for an evacuation (the Coast Guard has this in their budget). In other countries, and if you are outside the reach or territory of the US Coast Guard, you must pay for the service. Once you are off the boat, you are on your own.

In some cases, the foreign hospital will bill you, and must pay the bill before you can be discharged. As a foreign national, you may not enjoy the rights you think of as "normal" at home.

If you cannot afford medical transportation you don't get it. You have to raise the funds, or risk going without medical services as you buy other, less expensive transportation.

I've read that most health insurance in the US does not cover you while "on the high seas" even if the policy covers you in certain other countries. Where are you going to get sick, in port or in transit to the port? Medicare does not cover any medical bills outside of the US, period.

When I have priced trip insurance, I have tried to see if I saved an appreciable amount of money by buying just medical and not having trip insurance too. It typically costs me $20 or so to include the other coverages, so I usually do it.

Precisely. If insurance was value-for-money, insurance companies wouldn't be in business.

Travel insurance is a tax on the uninformed.

As you suggest, instead of being a sucker, use the money you would have blown on premiums for extra vacation days.

It's like gambling. Most people loose money but some win.

I don't care that overall it's obviously not value-for-money for the customers because if I really need it it's defenitely value-for-money.

I can waste $100 on hundred cruises but once I need the insurence to pay for a $100000 bill it's worth it!!!

Some of you are confusing cheapness(Cost) with value. For some people the "Value" is in peace of mind that they are covered for different eventualites, not cost

Would you pay $100,000 to insure a cruise so you have peace of mind? Heck, if cost is not a concern, I will insure you. :)

Edited by DirtyDawg

Not everyone has the option to fly in the day before due to work or family commitments. In all my cruises out of Miami I have flown in on the early morning non-stop flight from St Louis. Never once had an issue.

I'm also one who has never bought the insurance. For as many times as I have traveled and cruised if I did have to pay for a flight to catch up to the ship I still would be ahead of what I would have paid for insurance over the years.

If it was an overseas flight or cruise then that would be a whole different story.

I guess it just basically boils down to ones tolerance for risk in your own travel circumstances.

Yes, one's risk tolerance makes the difference. We always come in the day before...or two. We do get insurance for overseas trips as you do.

We've come to self-insure for less expensive cruises after spending a bundle on insurance and insurance refusing to pay when I was injured getting off a ship in San Diego because I couldn't prove it happened then and not later (was rushing to the airport).

Really sorry all these folks missed their cruise.

Oh so sorry to hear of these folks missing the ship. That would be terrible. Can't imagine how that would feel, or missing the ship in the midst of a cruise. Even when I drive from the Tampa Bay area to south Florida, I always arrive a day early. Just too much can happen whether flying or driving.

• 1 month later...
Unless I misread it, the gunman was under the flight path of the aircraft arriving at SAN. He was during that time, taking random shots at persons and property around him. Because of the hills approaching SAN runway, the aircraft are at best 3 or 4 hundred feet over the buildings, including the one he was in or on. No way in the world would an aircraft, knowing the situation, would consider "taking a chance" and fly" over the gunman. SAN is already one of the most physically difficult airports to land at.

One shot and 100's of lives lost on an aircraft alone. What other choice but to stop air traffic. No pilot would chance the lives of his passengers and crew to the whims of a gun nut. Sorry for all who chanced missing a long cruise to the same day arrival. The early pier close is another issue.

i agree. It is too stressful to fly in the day of the cruise. We only did it once from Phoenix to Los Angeles. We took a very early flight and got there very early but it was still stressful.

I do feel bad for those that missed she ship. Thank goodness no officers or innocent bystanders were hurt in the incident.

I would go crazy flying in same day of cruise. I always go in a day (sometimes 2 days) early.

Sad to hear people missed the cruise. With the massive number of flight cancellations due to weather this week, it isn't surprising but I'm sure very disappointing to those who didn't make it.

In a medical emergency the cruise line will put you ashore at the nearest port, or if you are near the US, call the Coast Guard for an evacuation (the Coast Guard has this in their budget). In other countries, and if you are outside the reach or territory of the US Coast Guard, you must pay for the service. Once you are off the boat, you are on your own.

In some cases, the foreign hospital will bill you, and must pay the bill before you can be discharged. As a foreign national, you may not enjoy the rights you think of as "normal" at home.

If you cannot afford medical transportation you don't get it. You have to raise the funds, or risk going without medical services as you buy other, less expensive transportation.

I've read that most health insurance in the US does not cover you while "on the high seas" even if the policy covers you in certain other countries. Where are you going to get sick, in port or in transit to the port? Medicare does not cover any medical bills outside of the US, period.

When I have priced trip insurance, I have tried to see if I saved an appreciable amount of money by buying just medical and not having trip insurance too. It typically costs me $20 or so to include the other coverages, so I usually do it.

The foreign hospitals to be the most worried about for excessive charges are the ones in the US. US hospitals have a tendency to charge rates that are quite a bit higher that equivalent rates in Canada. You run the risk of pay the difference and that can be quite extreme.

Being a Canadian the provincial health care plan only covers for emergency medical services overseas to the same value in the province but it excludes certain services.

I think the need for "extra" travel insurance sold by travel agents relay depends on the individual. I don't because I have one of those higher end "travel" credit cards that covers a lot of trip delay issues. Every place I have worked in the past 20 years has had an extended health care benefits package that includes foreign travel insurance. The employer usually has the group plan to cover business travel, however the polices do not differentiate between business or pleasure travel. The packages have also included the cost of medical charter aircraft to bring you back home if needed.

If I was retired and was relying just on the provincial plan I would probably would buy extra insurance.

You really need to look at the need for extra insurance in the context of what you already have and are paying for. I find many times people buy to much insurance because they don't fully understand what coverage they have and end up with overlapping plans.

The foreign hospitals to be the most worried about for excessive charges are the ones in the US. US hospitals have a tendency to charge rates that are quite a bit higher that equivalent rates in Canada. You run the risk of pay the difference and that can be quite extreme.

Being a Canadian the provincial health care plan only covers for emergency medical services overseas to the same value in the province but it excludes certain services.

I didn't know that the Canadian plans provided any foreign coverage. The US hospital charges are mostly fiction; consider a good negotiated price at 25% of the rate they charge. That's what the insurance companies typically pay ... one of our surgeries was billed at nearly $50,000, but the payoff after discounts was under $10,000.

Most US based insurance plans have no foreign coverage, and when they do, exclude coverage when not in a foreign country (i.e., "on the high seas"). That includes our Medicare, the single payer system that most of our 65+ year olds are on.

I think the need for "extra" travel insurance sold by travel agents relay depends on the individual. I don't because I have one of those higher end "travel" credit cards that covers a lot of trip delay issues. Every place I have worked in the past 20 years has had an extended health care benefits package that includes foreign travel insurance. The employer usually has the group plan to cover business travel, however the polices do not differentiate between business or pleasure travel. The packages have also included the cost of medical charter aircraft to bring you back home if needed.

That's an excellent point. To be honest, I have never heard of the same kind of travel medical insurance being available for US employees, but I've been out of the large corporate world for a few years. Because we will be taxing the value of that kind of "Cadillac" health plan after 2017, those that have it will probably lose it by then.

You really need to look at the need for extra insurance in the context of what you already have and are paying for. I find many times people buy to much insurance because they don't fully understand what coverage they have and end up with overlapping plans.

Great advice! For most Americans, in general, it makes a lot of sense to buy travel medical insurance. But even in the US you can have coverage by some plans. The problem is that it is very hard to get an answer as to what is actually covered by your plan.

Precisely. If insurance was value-for-money, insurance companies wouldn't be in business.

Travel insurance is a tax on the uninformed.

As you suggest, instead of being a sucker, use the money you would have blown on premiums for extra vacation days.

Are you serious? I had a relative who collapsed in Spain this year, he required 3 weeks in a Spanish hospital and then a medivac flight to the UK. Without insurance this would have cost tens of thousands. That's only one of many instances of people I've known who have had cause to claim on travel insurance.

You get hit by a car in a Caribbean island,and are seriously ill. You going to be able to get yourself the treatment you need and get home?

Edited by NCLfamily