It's official! Formal nights gone, evening chic in! (3 Threads Merged)

Wj420

Seems to be working fine. You may want to reboot your computer to clear cache and shut down any background stuff that may be causing a problem.

It seems to be working properly again, but a number of posts from earlier this afternoon are still wrong on my computer. Here's an example, a screen shot of a couple of the posts:

123wlk6.jpg

Seems like my links to the CLIA have been removed. ????

This is the main body representing ALL major cruise lines. It shows the state of the cruise industry and the all the latest break downs and surveys of passenger figures internationally. It gives reports from the past years and shows the popularity of the cruise as a vacation holiday. Last year 22 million passengers.

If you would like to read more you just have to Google CLIA (its not a private listing) and click on research.

About CLIA Established in 1975, Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA) is the world’s largest cruise industry trade association, providing a unified voice and leading authority of the global cruise community. CLIA supports policies and practices that foster a safe, secure, healthy and sustainable cruise ship environment and is dedicated to promote the cruise travel experience. - See more at: http://www.cruising.org/about-the-industry/about-clia#sthash.3DAL8ovN.dpuf

DH was Platinum and I was Silver with Delta and the only time we got 70 pound allotment was when we were First Class and possible Business Class...of course the first bag was free in any case.

;)

All I can tell you is what I was told, and what shows up on the Delta website. See link below--70 lb. limit is the red suitcase and 50 lb. limit is the blue suitcase. And it does only show 70 lbs for US flights, not between US and Europe. So perhaps the Delta rep who checked my luggage when I left home let me get away with something, but the KLM rep in Copenhagen wouldn't.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/traveling-with-us/baggage/before-your-trip/checked.html#skymiles

Edited by bottomfeeder

To diss is to disrespect.

You can't be that close to the uk, my friend, if you haven't heard that in daily speech in the last 10 years.

Btw, tuxedo is a USA term for dinner suit, I believe.

near to the the UK ? lived here all my life my friend [emoji41]

also lived most of my life less than 15 miles from Scotland [emoji485]

Having Previously cruised with P&O three times, we recently had our first cruise on Celebrity, We were led to believe that Celebrity was a step up from P&O but we did not find this to be the case, Eclipse is a fabulous ship and we did enjoy it overall, and it had Pros and cons Versus P&O.

We were already talking about taking a Caribbean cruise on Eclipse but returned home to hear the news that formal nights were going. I can only assume this is to suit a more casual American market, and while we may only be a small party its a deal breaker for us as we really enjoy the dressing up nights as its something we rarely get to do at home, and we have no intention of dressing up to find ourselves at a table with a bunch of people in Jeans. We are not Snobs or Posh but cruising should be a smart and glamorous experience! so that's around $12,000 of income Celebrity have lost from us next year! I am sure P&O are very happy to hear this news

Having Previously cruised with P&O three times, we recently had our first cruise on Celebrity, We were led to believe that Celebrity was a step up from P&O but we did not find this to be the case, Eclipse is a fabulous ship and we did enjoy it overall, and it had Pros and cons Versus P&O.

We were already talking about taking a Caribbean cruise on Eclipse but returned home to hear the news that formal nights were going. I can only assume this is to suit a more casual American market, and while we may only be a small party its a deal breaker for us as we really enjoy the dressing up nights as its something we rarely get to do at home, and we have no intention of dressing up to find ourselves at a table with a bunch of people in Jeans. We are not Snobs or Posh but cruising should be a smart and glamorous experience! so that's around $12,000 of income Celebrity have lost from us next year! I am sure P&O are very happy to hear this news

Or relaxed and fun. We all have different expectations, so what a cruise should be for you is not what a cruise should be for others. Based on polling here, you are part of a smallish minority.

Having cruised on the Eclipse previously, and with another 2 week cruise booked for March, I think it's such a pity that anyone would forego an excellent cruise for the sake of a few hours less of fancy dress. Oh well, your choice.

We are not Snobs or Posh but cruising should be a smart and glamorous experience!

I think it's wonderful P&O exists and can provide the formal experience some find critical to a cruise enjoyment.

There would appear to be enough different cruise lines offering different options that almost all can find a cruise provider that meets their needs.

Edited by WpgCruise

Or relaxed and fun. We all have different expectations, so what a cruise should be for you is not what a cruise should be for others. Based on polling here, you are part of a smallish minority.

Having cruised on the Eclipse previously, and with another 2 week cruise booked for March, I think it's such a pity that anyone would forego an excellent cruise for the sake of a few hours less of fancy dress. Oh well, your choice.

On the other side, it is such a pity that many ignored the formal night dress code, which again was only for a few hours of an excellent cruise, because the rules did not apply to them. As you said, Oh well, your choice.

On the other side, it is such a pity that many ignored the formal night dress code, which again was only for a few hours of an excellent cruise, because the rules did not apply to them. As you said, Oh well, your choice.

I agree totally. Having always worn a jacket and tie, I will now enjoy a more relaxed level of dress, but within the spirit of Celebrity's "evening chic".

I agree totally. Having always worn a jacket and tie, I will now enjoy a more relaxed level of dress, but within the spirit of Celebrity's "evening chic".

I too have always worn a suit/sport coat and tie on the formal nights in the MDR. And, most likely I will still be on the dressier side of the the men in the MDR. Part of that will be who I am, but also because of the respect I have for the intent of Celebrity's dress code in the MDR. To each his own, but IMHO, the true character of a person is shown by their respect for and attempt to comply with a stated dress code. However, we will continue to enjoy our cruises on Celebrity regardless how much others might challenge the "evening chic" or whatever Celebrity comes up with next.

I too have always worn a suit/sport coat and tie on the formal nights in the MDR. And, most likely I will still be on the dressier side of the the men in the MDR. Part of that will be who I am, but also because of the respect I have for the intent of Celebrity's dress code in the MDR. To each his own, but IMHO, the true character of a person is shown by their respect for and attempt to comply with a stated dress code. However, we will continue to enjoy our cruises on Celebrity regardless how much others might challenge the "evening chic" or whatever Celebrity comes up with next.

Agree wholeheartedly, however there is a cruiser currently on the Summit who posted that on the first Formal night there were pax in t-shirts and shorts. If they can't adhere to dress codes prior to the changeover to Evening Chic on the 4 Dec, then Celebrity are as well doing away with dress codes altogether. Give someone an inch and they'll take a mile.

We are not Snobs or Posh but cruising should be a smart and glamorous experience! so that's around $12,000 of income Celebrity have lost from us next year! I am sure P&O are very happy to hear this news

But the other side of the coin is that it is more likely to make me choose Celebrity over P&O - which I had previously considered trying!

Our feeling is some people don't like to dress up. Not sure why? Maybe a whole life of working and wearing ties and suits took its toll. For us we love it. My wife actually surprised me on our honeymoon cruise that she wore her wedding dress I was in a tux on formal night.If a man or lady comes the main dining room on formal or evening chic night in a swimsuit. I'd have a problem. Go eat at the buffet. People need to use common sense..But a nice pair of pants dress shirt and maybe a jacket would be fine. As long as my wife and I are the best looking couple on formal night is all that matters to us. LOL

Our feeling is some people don't like to dress up. Not sure why? Maybe a whole life of working and wearing ties and suits took its toll. For us we love it. My wife actually surprised me on our honeymoon cruise that she wore her wedding dress I was in a tux on formal night.If a man or lady comes the main dining room on formal or evening chic night in a swimsuit. I'd have a problem. Go eat at the buffet. People need to use common sense..But a nice pair of pants dress shirt and maybe a jacket would be fine. As long as my wife and I are the best looking couple on formal night is all that matters to us. LOL

Her wedding dress? Like a traditional white obviously wedding dress?

Currently on the Eclipse and last night was our first formal night. They still refer to it as formal night (though the daily sheet uses the new terminology). Also to let everyone know all that I could see in attendance in the MDR were formal....so rules may change but old habits die hard.

Hello, :) it's my understanding that the change is for sailings after December 4.

Daily sheet said evening chic so I guess it is in play. Many noted that there was confusion about when it was going into play so I just wanted everyone to know it's there as the guide but everyone is still doing formal in the MDR. And it was a major topic of conversation with most opinions being they were going to still adhere to the formal dress option because they liked it not because they had to. Just trying to give a real time feedback on the situation.

Currently on the Eclipse and last night was our first formal night. They still refer to it as formal night (though the daily sheet uses the new terminology). Also to let everyone know all that I could see in attendance in the MDR were formal....so rules may change but old habits die hard.

The change is not in effect yet. It goes into effect for sailings after Decemeber 4. The roll out for Evening Chic on Eclipse is December 13.