It's official! Formal nights gone, evening chic in! (3 Threads Merged)

Wj420

Currently on the Eclipse and last night was our first formal night. They still refer to it as formal night (though the daily sheet uses the new terminology). Also to let everyone know all that I could see in attendance in the MDR were formal....so rules may change but old habits die hard.

Are you saying that NO ONE in the MDR wore something other than formal wear? Wow. I haven't seen anything close to that for more than five cruises.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So I will say again...what I SAW was everyone in formal...yep..you got that right. Now I didn't walk around to every table on both floors so it was limited to my sight path but I would have assumed some would have adopted the evening chic but I didn't SEE anyone dressed less than formal. I also am just trying to add that yes we departed before December but the daily sheet is referring to Evening Chic but all staff, guests and other documents refer to formal. I was also adding the information for other people who were interested ...not for an argument starter. I believe the more info you have on a topic the better. If it doesn't meet your agenda sorry but I am not posting to promote either...just stating what I saw.

So I will say again...what I SAW was everyone in formal...yep..you got that right. Now I didn't walk around to every table on both floors so it was limited to my sight path but I would have assumed some would have adopted the evening chic but I didn't SEE anyone dressed less than formal. I also am just trying to add that yes we departed before December but the daily sheet is referring to Evening Chic but all staff, guests and other documents refer to formal. I was also adding the information for other people who were interested ...not for an argument starter. I believe the more info you have on a topic the better. If it doesn't meet your agenda sorry but I am not posting to promote either...just stating what I saw.

Not to worry - I wasn't looking for any argument and I truly do not care what people wear. I was just confirming that everyone that you saw was in formalwear. You did that, thank you.

My comment about not seeing anything like that in my most recent cruises was not intended as a challenge or an indication that I didn't believe you - or that I didn't like what you said. It was a statement of fact for my history.

Thank you again for your quick response.

I am interested in how passengers dress after Evening Chic is in effect. I know how passengers dress now. I have been on four Celebrity Cruises in the last 12 months so I have a pretty good idea. I will see myself in a couple of weeks the first effects. If you cruise after Evening Chic is in effect and you see me I won't be in Formal. But I do think others will continue to take that dress option. I do expect some flux for a few months.

Edited by Charles4515

In spite of all the discussions here on Cruise Critic' date=' it seems to me that those who prefer formal will dress accordingly as will those who prefer evening chic. It looks like a win, win for all[/quote']

I agree. It is a win-win because everyone will get to wear what they prefer to wear.

A number of years ago I cruised on a large Carnival ship in Europe. It was out of school holidays and there were very few families on board. Overall the passenger mix was similar to all the Celebrity cruises I have been on.

Carnival had instigated it's "Cruise Elegant" policy for formal nights meaning no tux, jacket or tie required. People could choose how dressy they wanted to be and most chose to be very dressy indeed. Others, like me just wore nice jeans and a long sleeved shirt. Some just wandered the ship in shorts and ate at the buffet.

In retrospect, it was the most formal night I have ever encountered despite the fact that it was optional.

Later, when I switched to Celebrity I remember thinking "this isn't as formal as Carnival". I only discovered later that my experience with Carnival in Europe was not typical. Non-vacation season cruising in Europe attracts a higher percentage of people who enjoy formal nights, just like Celebrity does.

My point is that whether or not formal wear is mandatory it is the passenger mix which defines how formal the dress will be. If Celebrity's typical passenger likes formal wear then "chic nights" will stay formal. If Celebrity change their marketing to attract a different type of passenger then it will be less formal.

Whatever happens it is the passengers who will decide. Mandatory dress codes enforce the will of a small percentage of passengers on everyone. The new "cruise chic" code puts control back in the hands of ALL the passengers and I expect that most Celebrity passenger will choose to be a little more dressy, just as those Europeans did on Carnival.

If, unlike me you have a very low opinion of Celebrity passengers and expect flip-flops and wife-beaters to become common in the MDR then why are you cruising with Celebrity in the first place?

A number of years ago I cruised on a large Carnival ship in Europe. It was out of school holidays and there were very few families on board. Overall the passenger mix was similar to all the Celebrity cruises I have been on.

Carnival had instigated it's "Cruise Elegant" policy for formal nights meaning no tux, jacket or tie required. People could choose how dressy they wanted to be and most chose to be very dressy indeed. Others, like me just wore nice jeans and a long sleeved shirt. Some just wandered the ship in shorts and ate at the buffet.

In retrospect, it was the most formal night I have ever encountered despite the fact that it was optional.

Later, when I switched to Celebrity I remember thinking "this isn't as formal as Carnival". I only discovered later that my experience with Carnival in Europe was not typical. Non-vacation season cruising in Europe attracts a higher percentage of people who enjoy formal nights, just like Celebrity does.

My point is that whether or not formal wear is mandatory it is the passenger mix which defines how formal the dress will be. If Celebrity's typical passenger likes formal wear then "chic nights" will stay formal. If Celebrity change their marketing to attract a different type of passenger then it will be less formal.

Whatever happens it is the passengers who will decide. Mandatory dress codes enforce the will of a small percentage of passengers on everyone. The new "cruise chic" code puts control back in the hands of ALL the passengers and I expect that most Celebrity passenger will choose to be a little more dressy, just as those Europeans did on Carnival.

If, unlike me you have a very low opinion of Celebrity passengers and expect flip-flops and wife-beaters to become common in the MDR then why are you cruising with Celebrity in the first place?

Nice post. A little heavy on the common sense but a nice post.

Thank you!

Did they have a Captain's Table on your cruise?

We were on last week's Reflection cruise, the last formal night for the fleet. It was a "no issue". Cruise Director mentioned it a few times but I think most people enjoyed the smart casual look anyway. Nice jackets, great cocktail dresses. Elegant atmosphere which I don't believe will change with new chic designation. Guests that were heading to OceanView were dressed casually but this didn't take away from our enjoyment of dressing for dinner. Cheers

Are you saying that NO ONE in the MDR wore something other than formal wear? Wow. I haven't seen anything close to that for more than five cruises.

Well your experience has been better than mine. The only cruise that I have been on where everyone followed the formal night dress code was in 1986 on Carnival. Imagine that, Carnival of all lines. My second cruise on Princess in 1991 there were two formal and two semi formal nights. We were at a table for 6 and one couple who were in there early 50's wore a sundress and jeans every night. He was an ice fisherman so they weren't Chic designer jeans either. This was a Caribbean cruise the couple were from Alaska and didn't have a clue about how to dress on a cruise. They blamed their travel agent for not informing them. We enjoyed their company never the less and nobody tossed their cookies over how they were dressed.

We just did our first evening chic. It was announced too late for us to change our formal wear as it was almost packed. From what we saw there wasn't much chic. One lady was dressed really nice and her husband wore a scruffy jumper & pants. He even made a remark sarcastic remark about us all being dressed fancy. This did not help my 15 year old who was already feeling self conscious. The next formal night I will just wear nice pants and top. My daughter won't dress up again at least not on this cruise.

I suspect that things will vary hugely in different areas. Very many of the quite "mature" cruisers on the Eclipse out of Southampton, especially outside school holidays, will, I suspect, continue to dress very formally and very smartly indeed.

Having bought my first DJ at the age of 60 for formal nights on the Eclipse earlier this year, and actually enjoying wearing it, I'm not going to discard it after two wearings!

OTOH, I can imagine that with different clientele in more informal settings like the Caribbean, things may be different.

Stuart

My husband and I are leaving today on the constellation and the only way I knew about the formal night change was from Cruise Critic....how did people hear about this if they weren't on Cruise Critic?

Celebrity apparently emailed people who had upcoming cruises. However, I have a cruise on the Eclipse in January and didn't get an email. Like you the only way I knew about this change was on Cruise Critic.

My husband and I are leaving today on the constellation and the only way I knew about the formal night change was from Cruise Critic....how did people hear about this if they weren't on Cruise Critic?

I received an email about the change for my upcoming cruise. Before December 4. My cruise is this Sunday.

Edited by Charles4515

Celebrity sent us an email a couple of weeks ago announcing the change. I have a cruise coming at the end of March.

I didn't get an email from Celebrity about it and I cruise this Sunday.

I even bought a new pair of 7 For All Mankind jeans for the occasion. :) They are my favorite fitting and softest of the ~$200 offerings.

It's a 5-night cruise so it's welcome not to have to pack a suit that takes up room, takes up weight, and needs to get ironed once onboard. Jeans are much easier to iron!

I'll be interested to see how people dress. I'll be wearing my jeans, a button up shirt, vest, tie, and dress shoes. In that outfit, I know I will look better than many of the more "formal" attire I've seen on other cruises. Just because something is a suit does not mean it looks nice, considering how over-sized, outdated, and mismatched I've seen people look who still fit the former formal criteria.

Don't let some slob like individual spoil your enjoyment and just laugh at any sarcastic comments they may make . These people are pathetic I just wish they would stay at home and dine at the place they have dressed for - McDonalds .

A very big AMEN! I wouldn't dress down because of a remark from someone who must have felt inadequate in their own appearance. Just the fact they did that speaks volumes about their character. A good lesson for your daughter not to succumb to another's opinion. If it were me I'd bring out the really good stuff on the next formal night! If the person involved is dining at my table, there would be no conversation between us...I have no problem ignoring the ignorant.

Its amazing how much this topic has caused discussion. I do think that formal days are sadly behind us in many places. However, I still enjoy dressing up sometimes for dinner so will be taking my jacket and tie on my next cruise. I may loosen the tie a bit though for comfort. I think as long as folks don't get sloppy and practice common sense it will be fine. Sad to hear of folks still trying to wear shorts for dinner on Chic night.

Walter