It's official! Formal nights gone, evening chic in! (3 Threads Merged)

Wj420

I agree. If you really want a formal experience, try Cunard. Oh wait - I did that and was appalled at the lack of formal dress on formal nights! :eek:

It doesn't matter a whole lot to me as a woman - one dress is just as easy to put on as another. But, DH will be thrilled. He hates ties.

I have not seen anyone dressed other than formal on formal night on the QM2. Hmmm?

It's really all subjective. Some people think it's silly to pay hundreds or thousands of dollars more to upgrade from an inside room to a balcony. Or thousands more to upgrade from a standard balcony to concierge level cabin. Or buy a Lexus over a Toyota, or any thing on a list of things that can be considered extravagant by some.

This is true, however in using the examples you're presenting, there noticeable and notable differences between makes of cars or types of cabins. With jeans, they're all the same, made from the same amount of fabric, usually the same amount of thread, rivets, zippers. You're comparing "apples to apples", whereas with a car or a cruise cabin you're comparing "apples to oranges". :) There's a tangible difference in upgrading your cabin or your car. With jeans, not so much....

And I am going to go back to something I had said earlier: Give people an inch and they'll take a mile. The moment someone says that jeans are "chic", the door is open. So why even bother having any kind of dress code then?

Well I can tell you my Banana Republic and my Tahari jeans are miles different to my husbands Kirkland jeans so that analogy doesn't wash. And jeans have been allowed on Celebity for years. We haven't imploded, the earth is still rotating all will be fine, the apocalypse is not close because of a change from formal go Chic.

A tux does weight more than a pair of slacks and a shirt, because in addition to the slacks and shirt, you have a jacket, ties, vest/cummerbund, suspenders, etc.

A woman's gown can be lightweight for sure and it also can be extremely heavy if beaded. Anyway, I know that is not the point you were trying to make...but still.

If you still want to dress up, I think you should! I would rather be the best dressed than the worst dressed in a crowd of people! I say "Go for it"

Well said!!! I have sailed all over the world (14 nights or more) and have always packed at least 3 long gowns and my husband his white tux, as well as many 'Chic' dresses for other nights.

This is no problem and have never had to pay excess baggage. Do we Brits have a larger luggage allowance than other countries. By the way we will still be formal

on our last cruise with Celebrity, it's off to Cunard and Princess from now on.

So why even bother having any kind of dress code then?

Probably because they knew that if they went directly from "Formal" to "no dress code", people's heads would explode!! So they are granting us the courtesy of just stepping down to "elegant chic". Eventually, when everyone is used to just being chic rather than formal....and we are all trotting around in our chic designer jeans, they will loosen it up again and deem every night to be "smart casual"!

I have been watching this discussion for the past week now (has it been that long?) but tonight we are off to buy my partner some Chic new clothes. My very small collection of formal wear is about to be consigned to the pre-loved shop as that level of formality is never required where we live in tropical Australia. We are both rather pleased by the changes - less formal is more our style through choice and our home location.

However I do have a thought that will be worth pondering (and maybe stir things up) - how do we feel about tattoos on display on evening Chic nights? I feel that today's Chic crowd has a different attitude to body art versus the traditional cruising crowd and that perhaps an increase in visible tattoos in the MDR may be of a concern to some.

Just a thought.

Probably because they knew that if they went directly from "Formal" to "no dress code", people's heads would explode!! So they are granting us the courtesy of just stepping down to "elegant chic". Eventually, when everyone is used to just being chic rather than formal....and we are all trotting around in our chic designer jeans, they will loosen it up again and deem every night to be "smart casual"!

I think you are spot on with this comment ... they are just breaking it to us old stick-in-the-muds gently (more or less).

A tux does weight more than a pair of slacks and a shirt, because in addition to the slacks and shirt, you have a jacket, ties, vest/cummerbund, suspenders, etc.

A woman's gown can be lightweight for sure and it also can be extremely heavy if beaded. Anyway, I know that is not the point you were trying to make...but still.

If you still want to dress up, I think you should! I would rather be the best dressed than the worst dressed in a crowd of people! I say "Go for it"

Well said!!! I have sailed all over the world (14 nights or more) and have always packed at least 3 long gowns and my husband his white tux, as well as many 'Chic' dresses for other nights.

This is no problem and have never had to pay excess baggage. Do we Brits have a larger luggage allowance than other countries. By the way we will still be formal

This is what I was wondering. In 2010 we flew with BA to Seattle for a 14 night HAL Alaska cruise with 4 Formal nights. I took a Dinner Suit and a dark coloured suit and was still within BA luggage allowances.

The using of weight restrictions for not taking a jacket is pretty flimsy which ever way one looks at it. It is all about priorities. If a tux is a priority one will find space, if it isn't then an excuse not to take will be found.

This is Celebrity looking at attracting a different demographic that ain't into tuxes and the like. If they are wrong they may change back but there is now too much competition to put barriers in the way of passengers. The number of ships with truly formal requirements are becoming fewer and fewer and from my perspective that's a good sign

However I do have a thought that will be worth pondering (and maybe stir things up) - how do we feel about tattoos on display on evening Chic nights? I feel that today's Chic crowd has a different attitude to body art versus the traditional cruising crowd and that perhaps an increase in visible tattoos in the MDR may be of a concern to some.

Just a thought.

I have tattoos and I wouldn't hide them for formal, chic, casual or any other dress code on vacation. If I'm wearing a sleeveless top or dress, you're seeing them. Why would someone cover up tattoos? It's not like you put them on and take them off with your clothes, they're permanent body art.

If that puts you off your food or somehow destroys your cruise experience, oh well. If I decide to sail the QM2 someday, you'll see them there as well!

Edited by Tura Lura

I have tattoos and I wouldn't hide them for formal, chic, casual or any other dress code on vacation. If I'm wearing a sleeveless top or dress, you're seeing them. Why would someone cover up tattoos? It's not like you put them on and take them off with your clothes, they're permanent body art.

If that puts you off your food or somehow destroys your cruise experience, oh well. If I decide to sail the QM2 someday, you'll see them there as well!

I think tattoos have reached the point of cultural acceptability. Sure, some people don't like them but just about everyone realises they don't mark you as a thug or drug addict these days. Even in Japan things are changing where tattoos used to be considered an open admission of crime gang membership.

I have some small tattoos and so do many of my friends and family although you're only likely to see mine at the pool. If someone got offended by my tattoos at the pool I'd think they were nuts, and I 'd think the same if people were upset about other people's tattoos at dinner (unless of course they were intentionally offensive).

This is true, however in using the examples you're presenting, there noticeable and notable differences between makes of cars or types of cabins. With jeans, they're all the same, made from the same amount of fabric, usually the same amount of thread, rivets, zippers. You're comparing "apples to apples", whereas with a car or a cruise cabin you're comparing "apples to oranges". :) There's a tangible difference in upgrading your cabin or your car. With jeans, not so much....

Absolutely not true. There is a huge demand in (mostly) men's fashion for high quality raw selvage denim. Not to mention denim fabric comes in various weights, from average of around 12oz all the way up to 32oz denim that is so thick that the jeans can stand up on their own.

Edited by nicedream

I, too, am not in favor of the changes. I enjoy dressing up, and as someone said, you need to look respectable if invited to the Captain's table, and I do agree as I have been numerous times. That being said, I have several lightweight cocktail and long dresses that don't weigh as much as shoes! I know for men, it's a bit heavier, but one can be creative with a suit.

But, there is the issue of people who do not read the "required/suggested dress code" before they pack. Maybe their last cruise was on a different line, maybe they have never cruised before, maybe their TA didn't inform them of the dress required for dinner, etc. etc.

And, I find, more and more, through my daily life at work, that people just do not read! People are too busy, they only read the subject or first sentence. I just wonder how many people do not even know there is a dress code.

(Sorry, if I'm ranting about people not reading, but it drives me crazy at work.)

I encounter people like this all the time. No one reads the big print let alone the small print. They just read the headlines.

When I was in high school there was a test given that was really hard.

The teacher emphasized to read the ENTIRE test before starting.

There were many, many hard questions but somewhere near the end it said something like " Don't answer the above questions - just write a short essay on why reading is important - or something like that". Most people had written out all of the hard answers before they got to that. (I'm a MAJOR rule follower so I was one of the lucky ones) It was a good lesson to learn.

Anyways, I, too, am sad the ambiance of the formal evenings will be gone and, as much as people didn't follow the code before -am afraid it will be anything goes from now on.

Celebrity is my favourite cruise line, and this will make it even better! I will wear my loveliest evening dresses and my husband can wear something smart, with or without a jacket, and we will both be happy and enjoy ourselves.

I will enjoy admiring the formal outfits, knowing that those wearing them are doing so because they want to. Hopefully those who enjoy dressing formally will feel confident to do so without having it imposed on those who don't.

I do like to see my husband in his tux, but appreciate that he doesn't enjoy it. Now I can dress up to the nines, without making him suffer!

Great news!

My wife has a formal dress that shows off the tattoo on her back beautifully.

In my case it is not so much the dresses themselves (though beaded ones can certainly be heavy) but the variety of different shoes that are needed that cause luggage weight issues! I am sure there are ways to plan a cruise wardrobe that require you to only bring one pair of heels, a pair of casual sandals, and a pair of walking shoes...but I have never managed to do that! It will be easier without formal clothing.

I had an interesting experience on my last European cruise. Delta allowed me 70 lbs. on my bag; but my first flight home, though booked on a Delta ticket, was actually a codeshare and on KLM. KLM limited me to 50 lbs...so I got to lug an open tote bag full of shoes on all three flights home as a carryon. Along with my laptop roller bag and my purse. Not fun! (And definitely a lesson learned for the future!)

In my case it is not so much the dresses themselves (though beaded ones can certainly be heavy) but the variety of different shoes that are needed that cause luggage weight issues! I am sure there are ways to plan a cruise wardrobe that require you to only bring one pair of heels, a pair of casual sandals, and a pair of walking shoes...but I have never managed to do that! It will be easier without formal clothing.

I had an interesting experience on my last European cruise. Delta allowed me 70 lbs. on my bag; but my first flight home, though booked on a Delta ticket, was actually a codeshare and on KLM. KLM limited me to 50 lbs...so I got to lug an open tote bag full of shoes on all three flights home as a carryon. Along with my laptop roller bag and my purse. Not fun! (And definitely a lesson learned for the future!)

Seventy pounds? I don't remember the last time we had such an allowance! :( We've been limited to fifty pounds it seems forever.

I thought my weight limit was 45 lbs and 17lbs in carryon in Delta November 2013.
You should be so lucky!! our flight to Barbados next Feb (flights arranged by cruise company) the hand luggage allowance is 5 k and hold luggage is 22k try packing for two weeks in the Caribbean on that lot , but i will find room for my dj and my beloved her four formal dresses... i am looking forward to our next Celeb cruise next Sept and viewing peoples idea of "chic"...i saw somewhere a comment about wearing "a chic denim number " there is nothing chic about denim its workwear, watch the space ....

With jeans, they're all the same, made from the same amount of fabric, usually the same amount of thread, rivets, zippers. You're comparing "apples to apples", whereas with a car or a cruise cabin you're comparing "apples to oranges". :) There's a tangible difference in upgrading your cabin or your car. With jeans, not so much....

This isn't exactly true. There is a huge difference between an ill-fitting pair of $19.99 jeans from Walmart and a $90.00 pair of Selvedge Denim from a higher-end retailer. Just like there is a difference with a $15 steak from Outback Steakhouse, and a $50 steak from Peter Luger's. Sure, they both come from a cow, but the similarities stop there. Just like cars and cabins, designer jeans are different from Wranglers...

I thought my weight limit was 45 lbs and 17lbs in carryon in Delta November 2013.

I fly Delta all the time, and travel a good amount for work. Their normal luggage allowance is 50 lbs. per bag, but with elite status (I think it starts at Silver Elite, guess I will find out next year when I lose my Gold status!) you can go up to 70 lbs. I believe that's true for international as well as US flights--it is definitely true for flights to Europe from the US--but certainly it's possible that there are different restrictions for some international flights.

Or you might have also been on a codeshare flight that was actually flown by a different airline, like my KLM situation, when you are subject to the other airline's baggage rules.

You should be so lucky!! our flight to Barbados next Feb (flights arranged by cruise company) the hand luggage allowance is 5 k and hold luggage is 22k try packing for two weeks in the Caribbean on that lot , but i will find room for my dj and my beloved her four formal dresses... i am looking forward to our next Celeb cruise next Sept and viewing peoples idea of "chic"...i saw somewhere a comment about wearing "a chic denim number " there is nothing chic about denim its workwear, watch the space ....

John hello

50 lbs is 22 kilo (I guess I was being conservative staying to 45 lbs if husband was [emoji274])

11 lbs is 5 kilo

I'm not concerned about the dress code

When I flew to a sailing in Europe, I was on Oceania which has country club casual and everyone dressed very nicely

On Celebrity, where I have more sailings, even on formal night there were baseball caps and t shirts and shorts in main dining room. This will make it easier to carry clothing without formal wear -- without dressy shoes, beaded purses, and heavier dresses, husbands suit jacket, dress shoes, accessories. I'm happy about the relaxation of rules

I fly Delta all the time, and travel a good amount for work. Their normal luggage allowance is 50 lbs. per bag, but with elite status (I think it starts at Silver Elite, guess I will find out next year when I lose my Gold status!) you can go up to 70 lbs. I believe that's true for international as well as US flights--it is definitely true for flights to Europe from the US--but certainly it's possible that there are different restrictions for some international flights.

Or you might have also been on a codeshare flight that was actually flown by a different airline, like my KLM situation, when you are subject to the other airline's baggage rules.

You are right

I was just being careful with the 45lbs I think

I used to bring more shoes, but no longer. I have found that black heels, black casual flats, and either a pair of sandals or flip flops, depending on itinerary, are all I need. I wear my walking sneakers on the plane and to the ship. I think they are the heaviest of all the shoes.

Edited by ecslady