It's official! Formal nights gone, evening chic in! (3 Threads Merged)

Wj420

Well you see it is like this. The hoi-poloi you refer to are patently trusted to make the correct choice whereas the peasants in inside cabins ? surely not [emoji12]

I understand your point, but I think your terms are confused. Hoi poloi refers to the common people; hoi aristoi means the aristocrats

As we know, the evening dress code is always smart casual and above for Luminae, Blu and the specialty restaurants.

All these restaurants (which never require formal attire) are more upscale dining venues than the noisy, crowded main dining room.

Yet in any of them, some diners will be dressed formally and others won't, with the mix varying from one time to another.

It is the same at many fine cosmopolitan restaurants on land as well, where great variety in styles of dress can be observed.

The point is that the people who dress formally in these situations do so because it is their choice, not because it is a requirement imposed upon them.

People do not go around complaining that their evening was ruined because others were dressed differently.

They can have an enjoyable evening without calling those who choose to dress in a different style either slobs or snobs.

Like it! :)

Hmmm Thought this thread was about chick new dress wear . what am I missing here :confused::rolleyes:

u may be missing much ado about nothing -to coin a great title by the Bard [emoji33][emoji12][emoji12] [emoji33][emoji12][emoji12]

Edited by LA_Design

From Fred & Ginger (in the minds of some) to today's Dustin cartoon strip (re evening wear) in the local newspaper - is this what it has come down to, cartoon writers now following the CC Celebrity Threads for inspiration.

Enjoy

:rolleyes:

NAGooner

The majority of women are in gowns on formal nights on Celebrity? That's certainly not at all what I've seen, in the Caribbean or Europe.

Even when we cruised for two weeks last year on Cunard, IN Europe, there were many women in cocktail dresses, not gowns. There have been many references to Cunard on this thread, but they too have altered their dress code in recent years. Men no longer need to wear ties on non-formal evenings.

<a href=https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3836/15110211165_d111205ef3_z.jpg' alt='15110211165_d111205ef3_z.jpg'>

15088420736_58e855e961_z.jpg

Men haven't had to wear ties for years on Cunard during informal nights. Most of us still do.

Wow you sound just like our Hyacinth.

It was a great show. It's just that my partner & I really have enjoyed the style of formal ocean travel. The Eclipse(unlike most Celebrity ships)has generally followed a more formal dress code. This is likely due to the fact of longer trips(14 days in the winter)and sailing out of Great Britain in the summer. There is a large British following, which we enjoy. Cunard(our favored line) has cut back Caribbean trips quite a bit. We may go back to them in 2017. Waiting to see what they have on offer from the east coast in the fall of 2017.

i talked to mr. Pcur yesterday about this change to evening chic. I mentioned all my fancy pants outfits: Chiffon jackets, sparkly tops, chiffon lined black pants, aqua 3-piece dressy pants outfit; think mother-of-the-bride type clothes. He said he had no problem continuing to wear his dark sports coat and dress slacks, and i suggested he not bring the tie. We agreed.

However, he really likes his navy and blue hawaiian flower tie, so he might still bring that.

He's a keeper. :d

lol!

Heading down the slippery slope that Carnival went down a few years ago.

Bingo.

I sailed on a Carnival ship this past May. The first one in about 3 years. The change was dramatic. It was the worst cruise I've ever been on. It was also the worst MDR experience I have ever had on any cruise line. Only Blu has been worse in terms of bad service. There was also ZERO attention paid to how people were dressed. Even when it was "against the rules" to wear shorts, people did anyway.

As I said previously, you give an inch, people will take a mile. This will be no different. And this deeply saddens me.

It's been a strange few days. More discussion than expected ... Just in our home. I started off not wanting or even understanding the change. My husband has always been in favour of leaving the tux behind particularly in recent years. His argument is over the past 20 years of cruising I have bought and worn umpteen new dresses all getting less formal in style, the sequins disappearing the length getting shorter but meanwhile the same old DJ has been cleaned and taken along the changes only being new shirt and bows. It has stood the test of time ... Cleaned and come up like new even after repeated dry cleans ... hardly creases when packed and looks good when worn .. I think! But ... It is a kind of uniform ... Would I be so happy wearing a long black dress on every formal night if that was considered the ladies uniform. Absolutely .. NO.

In the end it really comes down to the DJ ... Don't think we will really notice many changes in what the ladies wear. We will continue to look elegantly glamorous and CHIC ... Won't we ladies. However I concede defeat to my husband ... He can leave the James Bond fancy dress at home ... He looks great in a casual beige linen suit too and just smart shirts and slacks are ok too . They don't as pack well ... Won't stand the test of time ... And he will be spending more of the budget on clothes.

I might still be able to persuade him that his white DJ is more CHIC and less uniform. [emoji57]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It looks like there was a fundraiser on Eclipse on what I am assuming was an overnight in port in NYC. Good examples of what I think they expect for "chic".

My opinion is some is casual chic and some evening chic. YMMV

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10153754683290879.1073741864.92998025878&type=3

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Edited by need2bespoiled

Yes, as I said, " in recent years". But it's not been that long. Cunard announced that change to "informal" evenings in March of 2013.

So what was a slightly confusing dress code for the remaining nights –- a mixture of “elegant casual” (jacket but no tie for men) and “semi-formal” (jacket and tie for men, cocktail dresses for ladies) — has now been replaced with plain “informal,” which means men must still wear jackets, but ties aren’t required.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/blog/index.php/2013/03/19/is-cunard-relaxing-its-dress-code/

Men haven't had to wear ties for years on Cunard during informal nights. Most of us still do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It looks like there was a fundraiser on Eclipse on what I am assuming was an overnight in port in NYC. Good examples of what I think they expect for "chic".

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10153754683290879.1073741864.92998025878&type=3

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Jenna,

Not dissimilar to what we have seen on our last few X cruises; the only exception being the jeans ;).

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Jenna

I think your pictures are EXACTLY what they think they're saying.

HOWEVER, two things strike me.

First - if some bean counter thinks the people who cruise are those New York hipsters in those pictures (and I think that's exactly who they think they're going to attract) they've made a huge mistake and

Second- there wasn't a tux in the crowd. That statement about still feeling comfortable if one chooses to dress formally is ridiculous. A person in a tux would have stood out like a sore thumb.

I agree with those who think the reality of the policy change will be the give-an-inch-take-a-mile group .

It will definitely be more casual but they've lost something special.

Too bad.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

That is basically how I would expect people to dress. The h'orderves looked delicious. It didn't ruin my appetite even though the guests weren't dressed in formal attire.

Not sure which picture you're referring to. The only woman in a sequined dress I remember was a very tall woman in a red dress who I thought was one of the dancers in her costume.

As far a those jackets that look like they're at least one size too small - that's what the young hip guys are wearing. I don't get it but that's what I see. The effect is TOTALLY lost on a middle age guy who just looks like he gained weight and forgot to get a new jacket (although, truth be told, the young guys kind of look like they're wearing jackets from before they grew ;) ).

That's the look? Too bad I didn't know this before I gave away my sports jackets that no longer fit.

It would appear you are in the minority.

Is it a deal breaker?

If so there are several UK based cruise lines who love formal.

I suspect I am in the minority as a UK cruiser, I do smart casual and that is my limit.

Annie

I don't think so, Anne.

But what Celebrity describe as chic is what I think many younger Brits (I'm 52) would describe as smart casual. An evening out in the uk would involve a chic shirt, jeans & a jacket for me. Maybe that's a UK/USA difference - references to polo shirts, button down collars, chinos mean very little to me I'm afraid.

So the special evening isn't special unless it's different. But I expect the same 50:50 will continue - I'll watch the boards before we go ...

Perhaps we'll go chic formal??

Don't see anyone under 70 in those pictures.(post #809)

I'll bet they'd also like HAL.

Edited by gsb