It's official! Formal nights gone, evening chic in! (3 Threads Merged)

Wj420

The using of weight restrictions for not taking a jacket is pretty flimsy which ever way one looks at it. It is all about priorities. If a tux is a priority one will find space, if it isn't then an excuse not to take will be found.

This is Celebrity looking at attracting a different demographic that ain't into tuxes and the like. If they are wrong they may change back but there is now too much competition to put barriers in the way of passengers. The number of ships with truly formal requirements are becoming fewer and fewer and from my perspective that's a good sign

No excuses here.

While I would rather not pay for an extra piece of luggage (it seems we always do), we will be packing our formal duds for our 21 night Princess sailing (4 formal nights) and for our 7 night TA on QM2 (3 formal nights) following that.

It is what it is! ;)

I have been watching this discussion for the past week now (has it been that long?) but tonight we are off to buy my partner some Chic new clothes. My very small collection of formal wear is about to be consigned to the pre-loved shop as that level of formality is never required where we live in tropical Australia. We are both rather pleased by the changes - less formal is more our style through choice and our home location.

However I do have a thought that will be worth pondering (and maybe stir things up) - how do we feel about tattoos on display on evening Chic nights? I feel that today's Chic crowd has a different attitude to body art versus the traditional cruising crowd and that perhaps an increase in visible tattoos in the MDR may be of a concern to some.

Just a thought.

Frankly I don't care what you wear on your back or on your skin. It's not my choice to have tattoos, but others enjoy having them. To each his own.

(People I worked with at the hospital had to cover their tattoos while at work...but that is probably appropriate for a work place?)

I think tattoos have reached the point of cultural acceptability. Sure, some people don't like them but just about everyone realises they don't mark you as a thug or drug addict these days. Even in Japan things are changing where tattoos used to be considered an open admission of crime gang membership.

I have some small tattoos and so do many of my friends and family although you're only likely to see mine at the pool. If someone got offended by my tattoos at the pool I'd think they were nuts, and I 'd think the same if people were upset about other people's tattoos at dinner (unless of course they were intentionally offensive).

After traveling to the S. Pacific and seeing how many men have tattoos in places such as Bora Bora and Apia, I viewed them as quite beautiful! It's a cultural thing that seems to be spilling over into other societies.

In my case it is not so much the dresses themselves (though beaded ones can certainly be heavy) but the variety of different shoes that are needed that cause luggage weight issues! I am sure there are ways to plan a cruise wardrobe that require you to only bring one pair of heels, a pair of casual sandals, and a pair of walking shoes...but I have never managed to do that! It will be easier without formal clothing.

I had an interesting experience on my last European cruise. Delta allowed me 70 lbs. on my bag; but my first flight home, though booked on a Delta ticket, was actually a codeshare and on KLM. KLM limited me to 50 lbs...so I got to lug an open tote bag full of shoes on all three flights home as a carryon. Along with my laptop roller bag and my purse. Not fun! (And definitely a lesson learned for the future!)

LOL! I haven't quite managed it either! I try to limit my shoes for formal dress to some silver sandals that go with all my outfits. I also got a couple of pairs of "FitFlops"....I can change the straps and snap on decorations...saves some room in the luggage.

At least I am not as bad as my daughters...they each bring a bag just for the shoes!! :eek:

70 pounds is generous...you must have been in 1st. class? Otherwise, even Delta limits it to 50 pounds.

Frankly I don't care what you wear on your back or on your skin. It's not my choice to have tattoos, but others enjoy having them. To each his own.

(People I worked with at the hospital had to cover their tattoos while at work...but that is probably appropriate for a work place?)

Don't know why the OP thinks tattoos enter in this discussion. There was never any prohibition of passengers having tattoos showing, covering them or mention of tattoos in the old formal evening or the new evening chic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't know why the OP thinks tattoos enter in this discussion. There was never any prohibition of passengers having tattoos showing, covering them or mention of tattoos in the old formal evening or the new evening chic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A whole new can of worms....potentially! :eek:

LOL! I haven't quite managed it either! I try to limit my shoes for formal dress to some silver sandals that go with all my outfits. I also got a couple of pairs of "FitFlops"....I can change the straps and snap on decorations...saves some room in the luggage.

At least I am not as bad as my daughters...they each bring a bag just for the shoes!! :eek:

70 pounds is generous...you must have been in 1st. class? Otherwise, even Delta limits it to 50 pounds.

Frequent flyers also get expanded luggage allowances. I get 2 70 lbs bags on every flight, as does my companion :) Just a way to keep my loyal to specific carriers :rolleyes:

Happy sailing,

Jenna

This isn't exactly true. There is a huge difference between an ill-fitting pair of $19.99 jeans from Walmart and a $90.00 pair of Selvedge Denim from a higher-end retailer. Just like there is a difference with a $15 steak from Outback Steakhouse, and a $50 steak from Peter Luger's. Sure, they both come from a cow, but the similarities stop there. Just like cars and cabins, designer jeans are different from Wranglers...

Actually it all comes down to the bodies wearing the jeans and there aren't that many designer bodies around.;)

Frequent flyers also get expanded luggage allowances. I get 2 70 lbs bags on every flight, as does my companion :) Just a way to keep my loyal to specific carriers :rolleyes:

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Now I'm starting to understand why some of those in favour of formal clothing can't understand the space/weight issue cited by some passengers. With almost three times the weight allowance, I'd have no trouble bringing along my tux either! Maybe even a couple of them. :)

Now I'm starting to understand why some of those in favour of formal clothing can't understand the space/weight issue cited by some passengers. With almost three times the weight allowance, I'd have no trouble bringing along my tux either! Maybe even a couple of them. :)

We usually fly BA; each have two in-hold suitcases plus 2 cabin at 23kgs each. Then a porter at both departure and arrivals. Hence, never had problems with clothing/luggage.

I have never had more than 23kilos pp and up to 10kilos of hand luggage on any flight but have always managed at least 3 long formal dresses and husbands tux. Also at least 8 or 9 smart casual dresses plus many shoes. Any one who says they haven't weight allowance for formal wear need to buy some lighter suitcases.

An extra suitcase is $35.

That's the cost of 2 or 3 drinks - not exactly a deal breaker when you're taking a vacation that cost thousands!

We usually fly BA; each have two in-hold suitcases plus 2 cabin at 23kgs each. Then a porter at both departure and arrivals. Hence, never had problems with clothing/luggage.

Two carry ons in the cabin at 50 lbs each??? :eek:

I recall Continental allowing 40 lbs carry on, but since their merger with United, it doesn't specify weight limits.

Most European airlines allow somewhere around 9 kilos as I recall.

Does anyone else have the problem I'm experiencing with this thread: quoted posts are being attributed to the wrong people? I'm not having the issue on other threads or other boards, just this this thread.

Edited by Fouremco

Happy sailing,

Jenna

DH was Platinum and I was Silver with Delta and the only time we got 70 pound allotment was when we were First Class and possible Business Class...of course the first bag was free in any case.

;)

Does anyone else have the problem I'm experiencing with this thread: quoted posts are being attributed to the wrong people? I'm not having the issue on other threads or other boards, just this this thread.

Yeah, I think I noticed that too!:(

Don't forget there is a poll to vote on the new formal night attire.

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2278817&page=13

Latest figures ... 508 .. in favour of the change

115 .... don't care!

TOTAL VOTES 866

This leaves just 243 who prefer no change in formal nights.

At the minute this pretty much echo's the CLIA research which includes all the major cruise lines. It stated 70% of passengers were in favour of a more elegant casual approach to formal evenings.

Cruise companies would be crazy to ignore statistics like this. There are a huge amount of berths to fill now they have gone down the mega ship route.

Seems to be working fine. You may want to reboot your computer to clear cache and shut down any background stuff that may be causing a problem.