Yes or no. Do you like the new "evening chic" dress code?

A Sixth?

"evening chic" yes or no....  

1,052 members have voted

1. 1. "evening chic" yes or no....

• Yes, a move forward
    • No, hate the idea.
    • Don't care

This has to be one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read/heard... Just to correct you... I was told I needed a tux in a previous job for social evens... Yes it was made to measure... Yes it was done at a quality tailors... Yes it fitted perfectly... YES Is was and still is one of the most uncomfortable it's of clothing I own...

How on earth can you say it's comfy for everyone to wear... You don't know everyone or how they feel or what makes them comfortable or not so how can you make such a statement... Surely we can only say what WE (ourselves) are truly comfy in...

[emoji57]

I agree custom clothing is made to fit to your body and doesn't allow much room for the bodies natural expansion from being over heated or just from eating a meal. The only suits that I was ever comfortable in were the ones that I purchased off the rack and weren't tailored. I looked like hell but I was more comfortable in them then the ones I spent far too much money for that were tailored.

I love these arguments about what is and isn't an acceptable standard of dress and I certainly don't envy the staff who have to enforce the code.

In my humble opinion it is a waste of suitcase space to pack my formal suit to be worn on one or two nights out of the 22 day holiday we have booked for next May. I will have a couple of good pairs of pants and long sleeved shirts and a tie and if that isn't good enough I will eat elsewhere on the formal nights.

As an aside, though, aren't double standards fun? A man fronting up in a singlet and shorts would be turned away but I will bet a similarly dressed attractive young lady would have the waiters fawning over her.

The poll is showing that only about a quarter of folks don't like the policy and the rest like the new policy or don't care. It would seem that Celebrity knows their customer fairly well.

Agreed. I was quite surprised to see the results so heavily in favour (or don't care) of the change.

I don't care to dress up (though my family does), but I really thought I was in a minority.

I just don't see how they can ask anyone to dress up more on the elegant chic nights than the smart casual ones????!!!!! Its a nonsense

How on earth will they enforce it?

They don't enforce the formal nights anyway!

Why not leave things as they were, those that didn't want to wear long dresses simply didn't and many men didn't wear bow ties so what is the problem?

As far as I can see it just upsets those who liked the formal night to be included.

NOOOOOO. I can't vote on I-pad. One reason we love Celebrity is the one chance a year for DH to wear a tux and for me to wear a formal dress. I love the formal nights. I hope they don't stop, there are enough cruise lines that are casual and relaxed. Please keep the formal evenings.

?..

Why not leave things as they were, those that didn't want to wear long dresses simply didn't and many men didn't wear bow ties so what is the problem?

As far as I can see it just upsets those who liked the formal night to be included.

Because the upset ones were also upset about the lack of enforcement and the passengers who lacked proper formal wear.

Basically they were going to be upset whichever way it is, so Celebrity did the right thing. Instead of focussing on who might be upset they focussed on making some people happy.

Edited by Adidas4fun

Because the upset ones were also upset about the lack of enforcement and the passengers who lacked proper formal wear.

Basically they were going to be upset whichever way it is, so Celebrity did the right thing. Instead of focussing on who might be upset they focussed on making some people happy.

They could have made some people happy either way

Those who like formal wear can still wear it!

What have they got to be unhappy about?

Other than the need to be unhappy and to try to make everyone else unhappy as well.

I'm just playing devil's advocate here and truth be told I fall somewhere in the middle of the debate, but I don't think the "those who like formal wear can still wear it" is relevant. The people that are upset about this change are upset because they enjoy the ambiance of a formal atmosphere and some are afraid that easing the dress code is the first step in getting rid of an enjoyable part of cruising for many. It may never devolve to the point where people are dressing for the main dining room the same way they dress for the buffet, but I can understand the complaint from people who enjoy the formality. I can understand some of the arguments for easing the dress code, but I do not understand people who say "Who cares what anyone else is wearing" because formal nights have never been about just dressing up, it's about enjoying the ambiance of an "elegant" evening. Sure, you can still dress formally, but who would want to wear a tuxedo to their local restaurant? Part of the appeal, to those that still enjoy formal evenings, is the glamorous atmosphere. It'd be like being invited to a Halloween party and not dressing up. Sure, people can still wear costumes, but if a majority of the attendees aren't wearing costumes, it certainly makes for a less enjoyable "Halloween party".

I just don't see how they can ask anyone to dress up more on the elegant chic nights than the smart casual ones????!!!!! Its a nonsense

How on earth will they enforce it?

They aren't, and they won't. It's just "dress to impress"

The formal night lovers constantly complained and said things like if they aren't going to enforce it, why have it. So Celebrity decided just to not have it. That doesn't mean you can't dress up.

I'm not fully understanding why you wouldn't still bring the clothing you want to wear and wear it? Why is this suddenly a problem for you?

NOOOOOO. I can't vote on I-pad. One reason we love Celebrity is the one chance a year for DH to wear a tux and for me to wear a formal dress. I love the formal nights. I hope they don't stop, there are enough cruise lines that are casual and relaxed. Please keep the formal evenings.

It's a done deal, they are ending the /requirement/ for formal nights, effective on 4 December. But not to worry - your DH can still wear his tux and you may certainly still wear your formal dress, no one will tell you not to. Those of us who don't own tuxes or formal dresses and don't wish to participate will now no longer be relegated to the buffet, specialties or room service, that's all.

And for those who are upset about the lack of 'ambiance', when formal wear has only been required in the dining room (and nowhere else on the ship) and only during meals, how much is the 'ambiance' really going to be affected?

I can see it back in the day when you put on your formal wear and wore it all night long there might be some 'ambiance' - when those who chose not to participate were completely removed from all public spaces other than the buffet for the duration of the evening - but for 2 hours or so I just am not seeing how it's a huge issue. I realize that for some it may be, but it's just not something I can fathom.

It's a done deal, they are ending the /requirement/ for formal nights, effective on 4 December. But not to worry - your DH can still wear his tux and you may certainly still wear your formal dress, no one will tell you not to. Those of us who don't own tuxes or formal dresses and don't wish to participate will now no longer be relegated to the buffet, specialties or room service, that's all.

And for those who are upset about the lack of 'ambiance', when formal wear has only been required in the dining room (and nowhere else on the ship) and only during meals, how much is the 'ambiance' really going to be affected?

I can see it back in the day when you put on your formal wear and wore it all night long there might be some 'ambiance' - when those who chose not to participate were completely removed from all public spaces other than the buffet for the duration of the evening - but for 2 hours or so I just am not seeing how it's a huge issue. I realize that for some it may be, but it's just not something I can fathom.

I can't speak for everyone, but for me, if you had read my earlier post (Admittedly that's getting tough since this discussion is getting voluminous), I stated that it won't change much. It's not going to ruin my cruise, or probably even make my cruise any less enjoyable. As you mentioned, it's not that big of a change- it's not like they're going from passengers dressing like they were on the Queen Mary, circa 1935, to how they would dress in the modern day at a Longhorn Steakhouse. Yes, there may be more jeans in the dining room, but people will still be expected to dress "nicely" (I guess that term can mean different things to different people). I'm certainly not the type of person who would let the way fellow passengers dress ruin my cruise, but if it were up to me I would prefer to dress in black tie every night of the cruise. I realize that's not realistic and, even on Cunard crossings they don't dress that formally every night, and as you pointed out, even on formal nights on Celebrity cruises it's become less and less formal over the years. Essentially you and I agree that this "change" will not be a big deal. Sorry for being long-winded)

I'm just playing devil's advocate here and truth be told I fall somewhere in the middle of the debate, but I don't think the "those who like formal wear can still wear it" is relevant. The people that are upset about this change are upset because they enjoy the ambiance of a formal atmosphere and some are afraid that easing the dress code is the first step in getting rid of an enjoyable part of cruising for many. It may never devolve to the point where people are dressing for the main dining room the same way they dress for the buffet, but I can understand the complaint from people who enjoy the formality. I can understand some of the arguments for easing the dress code, but I do not understand people who say "Who cares what anyone else is wearing" because formal nights have never been about just dressing up, it's about enjoying the ambiance of an "elegant" evening. Sure, you can still dress formally, but who would want to wear a tuxedo to their local restaurant? Part of the appeal, to those that still enjoy formal evenings, is the glamorous atmosphere. It'd be like being invited to a Halloween party and not dressing up. Sure, people can still wear costumes, but if a majority of the attendees aren't wearing costumes, it certainly makes for a less enjoyable "Halloween party".

I have cruised on two and three star cruise lines where I would dress for some nights in a suit. It drew to me like minded people and we created our own ambiance and enjoyed ourselves. We felt no need to sneer at others or judge them.

Some people just need to build a bridge (after they have grown up)!

You are right, no one is going to wear a tux or gown in a MDR when the atmosphere is Bonefish Grill. The days of dressing formally while dining are over on cruise ships (with a few exceptions) and the cruise lines are straddling the fence with "Evening Chic" and "Gala Nights" to attract new passengers and to try and not totally run off those who prefer a more formal experience.

I can't speak for everyone, but for me, if you had read my earlier post (Admittedly that's getting tough since this discussion is getting voluminous), I stated that it won't change much. It's not going to ruin my cruise, or probably even make my cruise any less enjoyable. As you mentioned, it's not that big of a change- it's not like they're going from passengers dressing like they were on the Queen Mary, circa 1935, to how they would dress in the modern day at a Longhorn Steakhouse. Yes, there may be more jeans in the dining room, but people will still be expected to dress "nicely" (I guess that term can mean different things to different people). I'm certainly not the type of person who would let the way fellow passengers dress ruin my cruise, but if it were up to me I would prefer to dress in black tie every night of the cruise. I realize that's not realistic and, even on Cunard crossings they don't dress that formally every night, and as you pointed out, even on formal nights on Celebrity cruises it's become less and less formal over the years. Essentially you and I agree that this "change" will not be a big deal. Sorry for being long-winded)

:) I quite agree, I would never let someone else's appearance affect my enjoyment of anything. Sitting next to a group of ill-behaved children (or ill-behaved adults, for that matter) would certainly affect my enjoyment of a meal - even if they were all wearing the latest in formal fashion, but sitting next to a group of well-behaved and well-mannered people regardless of how they are dressed wouldn't.

I voted in the "Yes, a move forward" category. But I don't think we will dress any differently than before the change -- my husband will wear a tailored suit and I will wear a cocktail dress.

And I may just dress AS a cocktail.:p

lrgscaleFDF_6802.jpg

Great point!! Yes, it adds up to about 72%. That's a sizable number!! BUT, how many of those voting on for this question were not on their computer being properly dressed wearing a suit, tie and/or tux? Does that make a difference?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 206,471 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Or how many of us use an IPad and cannot vote? I guess that would make it even higher.

I voted last night using my iPad.

I have not figured out how to vote or change pages on the top page numbers (only on the bottom)

What is your secret or what do you need to do?

Thank you.

Edited by jagoffee

The less formal dress requirements are a great move!

The smaller percentage of people who enjoy formal dress and commenting on other people's dress should consider switching to Cunard or geriatic HAL. If they switched lines, that would be an outstanding improvement for Celebrity!