Paris

singlegrandma2

A group of 60-70 somethings are going to spend 3 days in Paris before we sail on a cruise from Barcelona. Can anyone recommend a tour company for Paris for a one day tour? The ones I have seen online pretty much just drive you around....and quite expensive. Thinking it may be better to do that on a Hop On Hop off bus? Only thing I am concerned about is pre-purchasing tickets for Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, the Louve ect How should I plan ticket times if riding a hop on hop off bus? I would so appreciate any help you can send our way. I have been there a couple times but my late husband drove so it was easy...One more question please.. Is it pretty easy to catch a train to visit Versailles? Is the train station close to the palace or should we catch a taxi? I so appreciate all of you. Thanks for your help in advance! If it matters we are flying over on October 8th, 2016.

You are talking about DW's favorite city in the world (and she has been to about 100 countries). The idea of exploring Paris via a tour really has me thinking of "tour" as a 4 letter word. Paris is a large city made up of many neighborhoods (like most large cities). Everyone has their own preferences whether it be exploring museums, shopping areas, markets, churches, etc. When you take a tour there is a stranger determining what is best for you...and they do not even know who you are! So my best advice is to read a little about the city and start to decide what fits your own desires. You can find a lot of info on the web, or simply get one of the Rick Steves Paris books (at a decent bookstore, in your library, or buy one online).

Getting around Paris is actually very easy. You can use the underground Metro, the surface buses, or just do a lot of walking (our favorite activity in this wonderful city). Personally, we are not big fans of the HoHo buses because we think you waste too much time waiting for the bus, waiting for the bus to leave, being stuck in traffic, etc. We prefer to choose a neighborhood (called Arrondissment's in Paris), use public transit to get to that area, and then explore on our feet. Paris should be experienced by walking (assuming you have no mobility problems) so that you can experience the real atmosphere, smell the smells, browse shops, museums, etc.

And here is a shocker from a true Paris lover. We do not like the Louvre (although we have spent a couple of days exploring the place). When it comes to Paris Musuems we would rather be at the Musee d'Orsay, Rodin, Orangerieand even the weird Pompidou, etc. The Louvre does have lots of great art, but we prefer the impressionists which are better discovered in other venues. And the lessor known Marmottan has an amazing collection but is missed by those using HoHo's or typical tours.

And one of the great ways to spend time in Paris is just sitting in a well-located outdoor cafe, sipping some wine, people watching, eating, etc. You do not get this riding around on a bus, or being led by some tour guide.

Hank

Another big thumbs up for the Marmottan, my absolutely fav museum in Paris, a must-see IMO. The Louvre is massive and grand but am not so much of a fan, so much more to see in this most wondrous of cities.

The Metro is very easy to navigate and Hank's suggestion of picking a quartier and wandering around to discover it is spot-on. The Latin Quarter and the Ile de la Cite around Notre Dame are lovely, as also Monmartre. You might also like to take a boat ride on the Seine, a different perspective of the iconic monuments. And of course relax with a glass of wine at a cafe on the Champs Elysees:)

Just finished reading "Paris", a very detailed historical novel by Edward Rutherfurd. Lots of good background information and references applicable to your trip. It's a lo-o-o-ng read, but I found it captivating. Now I'm working my way through "London" by the same author.

For a group of first-time visitors with 3 days to explore, the HOHO bus is not such a bad idea. There are several different companies, so you'll have to compare their prices and what they offer. There is usually not much difference in price between a 1-day pass or a pass for 2 consecutive days (30-35 euros). Yes, you can get around more quickly and more cheaply with the metro and buses, but it may be worth it to you to be taken right to all the major sites one after another and to see the city from an open-top bus, with audio commentary, etc. You will get answers from people who already know Paris very well and would get no value out of a HOHO tour, but it could be a fine choice for your group.

You also asked about Versailles. There are actually three train stations near the palace, you can see them all on this map. The commuter rail (RER line C) gets you closest to the entrance, and is the easiest to catch from the center of Paris (you don't actually have to go to a train station or worry too much about the timetable).

Just finished reading "Paris", a very detailed historical novel by Edward Rutherfurd. Lots of good background information and references applicable to your trip. It's a lo-o-o-ng read, but I found it captivating. Now I'm working my way through "London" by the same author.

DW and I absolutely loved that book. But we wonder if it helped that we already knew Paris....so a lot of that book had some real meaning. I can never look at Montmartre again...without thinking of some of the history we learned from that book. And the last time we were in Paris and walked near the Eiffel Tower, DW and I both started talking about the book and wondered if the Plaque is actually there (we did not look).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

We've just returned from our second visit to Paris, which we think is the most beautiful city in the world. The metro is certainly the fastest way to get around, but since the OP has mentioned they are a group of 60-70 somethings, I want to flag that the Paris metro involves a great deal of climbing stairs, going down stairs, and walking around underground (sometime great distances) to change lines, which is pretty much always necessary as there are so many lines. For anyone with bad knees, a bad back, or other mobility issues, the Paris metro can be tough.

Just a couple of tips.

I did not find most of the folks in Paris very friendly when we were there. We would ask a question (such as where the luggage storage was in the huge train station, and just get a pointed finger in a certain direction) we finally did find it in the basement. Then had to place our luggage on a conveyor to go through a metal detector. The man operating the conveyor was very put out that we had 25" heavy suitcases that he had to lift and made certain we knew it. Then you come to the actual lockers with no instructions on how to use them. Standing there like the dummies we were, until a couple from Germany explained the directions to us.

We had dinner reservations one night at the Hard Rock Café. I asked at the hotel what a taxi would cost. I was told approximately 40 EUR. The clerk called us a taxi. When we got to the Hard Rock Café, the fare was 110 EUR, after sitting in traffic with the meter going. When we finished dinner, we asked if they would call us a taxi, NO. Pay phone? NO. We walked out onto the street, having no idea where were. We asked in a couple of places but nobody would call us a taxi. We finally spied a taxi queue on the opposite side of the street, walked up to the taxi and asked if he spoke English, he answered yes very politely. Then we asked the fare back to our hotel and he replied 50 EUR, and it was indeed 50 EUR.

We decided to have a drink at the bar in the hotel. We walked up to the bar and placed our order (in English). The bartender proceeded to help other customers. We stood there approximately 15 minutes when my friend again asked the bartender about our drinks. He answered he was out of that liquor. She said no you aren't I see the bottle sitting right there. He rudely made the drinks huffing & puffing. The man sitting next to us told us not to worry, he was French and the bartender had been rude to him too. Maybe he was having a bad day.

While we enjoyed our two days in Paris, seeing all the beautiful sights, there were just too many of these episodes for me to consider Paris a "Friendly" city.

I find Amsterdam to be my favorite city, and very tourist friendly. Even if the folks didn't speak English, they were helpful in finding a friend or shopkeeper that did. Actually had one young man walk us down a street to an alley (thinking he was going to mug us) to have him actually point right to our hotel we had been asking about, because he couldn't think what to call an alley in English is what he told the doorman.

I hope you have better luck than we did, and have a great trip!

Just a couple of tips.

I did not find most of the folks in Paris very friendly when we were there. We would ask a question (such as where the luggage storage was in the huge train station, and just get a pointed finger in a certain direction) we finally did find it in the basement. Then had to place our luggage on a conveyor to go through a metal detector. The man operating the conveyor was very put out that we had 25" heavy suitcases that he had to lift and made certain we knew it. Then you come to the actual lockers with no instructions on how to use them. Standing there like the dummies we were, until a couple from Germany explained the directions to us.

We had dinner reservations one night at the Hard Rock Café. I asked at the hotel what a taxi would cost. I was told approximately 40 EUR. The clerk called us a taxi. When we got to the Hard Rock Café, the fare was 110 EUR, after sitting in traffic with the meter going. When we finished dinner, we asked if they would call us a taxi, NO. Pay phone? NO. We walked out onto the street, having no idea where were. We asked in a couple of places but nobody would call us a taxi. We finally spied a taxi queue on the opposite side of the street, walked up to the taxi and asked if he spoke English, he answered yes very politely. Then we asked the fare back to our hotel and he replied 50 EUR, and it was indeed 50 EUR.

We decided to have a drink at the bar in the hotel. We walked up to the bar and placed our order (in English). The bartender proceeded to help other customers. We stood there approximately 15 minutes when my friend again asked the bartender about our drinks. He answered he was out of that liquor. She said no you aren't I see the bottle sitting right there. He rudely made the drinks huffing & puffing. The man sitting next to us told us not to worry, he was French and the bartender had been rude to him too. Maybe he was having a bad day.

While we enjoyed our two days in Paris, seeing all the beautiful sights, there were just too many of these episodes for me to consider Paris a "Friendly" city.

I find Amsterdam to be my favorite city, and very tourist friendly. Even if the folks didn't speak English, they were helpful in finding a friend or shopkeeper that did. Actually had one young man walk us down a street to an alley (thinking he was going to mug us) to have him actually point right to our hotel we had been asking about, because he couldn't think what to call an alley in English is what he told the doorman.

All of those experiences in Paris have been shared by others, though perhaps you were a little unlucky in getting so many.

French people and Parisians are two different nationalities. ;)

A lot of French people don't like Parisians, and the feeling is mutual.

C'est la vie, as we say in England.

JB :)

Just a couple of tips.

I am sorry you had such a poor experience. On both of our visits to Paris, putting aside a couple of truly rude waiters this most recent time, our experience has been very good and we've found people to be helpful. I think we all need to understand that there are cultural differences in play, and those are exacerbated when visitors don't know the Parisian customs or courtesies.

As non-French speakers, we have learned that there are cultural courtesies we must practice in Paris (as you would elsewhere) that may not come naturally to us as Americans. For example, upon entering a shop, saying "bonjour" to the shop keeper, and "au revoir" when leaving. Or never asking anyone in English whether she speaks English, but asking that in French. Never assuming anyone speaks English.

I had a medical emergency on this most recent trip, and the concierge in our hotel could not have been better in getting us to exactly the right type of doctor I needed to see, and in the middle of the night no less.

As for calling a cab, I think you had very bad luck there. At any rate, there's a terrific taxi service in Paris, called Taxi G7, with a phone number that gets you to an English speaking operator; you can call your own cab. This worked very well for us when we needed it.

http://www.taxisg7.com/order-taxi/order-taxi-telephone

We put off visiting Paris for the first time because of these things we'd heard about the rude French; when we got there (ten years ago), we were sorry we'd waited so long.

Edited by Turtles06

A French once told me that "Parisians do not even like the French!" On our last couple of visits to Paris (last year we actually rented an apartment in Paris) we detected a subtle change in attitude towards Americans.....for the better. During a full week in Paris last year, we did not encounter a single incident of rudeness or even a snide remark. In fact, everyone went out of their way to be nice...and this was especially true in small local restaurants where we had to sometimes patiently deal with the language barrier. We even a few Parisians apologize for their poor English...and of course our response was always something along the lines of "your English is much better then our French (which was usually very true).

But the comment Turtles made about cultural awareness is very true. In the US when we walk into a shop we often just browse without saying a word. In France when you walk in anywhere...it is correct to say a friendly "Bonjour" whether or not anyone is listening. And rather then just speaking English and hoping that somebody will understand, it is often helpful to simply ask, "Parlez vous Anglais?" The French are very sensitive about their language and really appreciate hearing folks try a few words...even if it bad French!

Quick story from years ago. At an expensive French restaurant, DW tried to order an entire meal in French (we both studied French in school...but cannot speak the language). The waiter listened patiently and when she was finished he said in perfect King's English, "Madam, do you speak English? Because you speak very bad French!" It was a classic funny moment.

Hank

Quick story from years ago. At an expensive French restaurant, DW tried to order an entire meal in French (we both studied French in school...but cannot speak the language). The waiter listened patiently and when she was finished he said in perfect King's English, "Madam, do you speak English? Because you speak very bad French!" It was a classic funny moment.

Hank

Love it!

Watching TV at this time and the situation in Paris is beyond awful. Our heart and prayers are with our French brothers and sisters and other innocent folks caught up in this outrageous terrorist incident. And we cannot help but wonder if the cruise lines will now cancel all cruise stops in French ports (this seems to be the way cruise lines react to most "incidents").

Hank

The president closed the borders tonight. I don't know exactly what that entails, or how long that could last, but for example MSC and Costa are both scheduled to dock in Marseille tomorrow, and it doesn't sound like it's up to the cruise lines at the moment if those stops can go ahead now.

Very sad indeed. I was just there two months ago, for the first time. We only had a short day in which to see Paris but I fell in love with the city and was hoping to go back someday for a longer visit. DH says may have to wait awhile now.

My prayers go out to all the citizens and their families of this terrible tragedy.

My heart goes out to Paris right now. I have been there a couple of times and have never detected any anti-american sentiments from Parisians. Someone commented on Amsterdam. It's also a great city, but different from Paris. How warm people are depends on where you go and who you run into. Paris taxis aren't cheap, but public transportation is excellent and less costly than it it is the US.

As far as tours of Paris go, I think a good walking tour or a bike tour around the city are a great way to orient yourself to the city. Either way, those are just orientations. To really see the city, just get out there and visit neighborhoods,do a skip the lines tour of the Eiffel Tower, a tour of the Opera, or a visit to the Orsay, a walk through Montmartre, or whatever interests you. I really don't think it's a city of a few things to see.

Watching TV at this time and the situation in Paris is beyond awful. Our heart and prayers are with our French brothers and sisters and other innocent folks caught up in this outrageous terrorist incident. And we cannot help but wonder if the cruise lines will now cancel all cruise stops in French ports (this seems to be the way cruise lines react to most "incidents"). Hank

Yes, Hank, very sad and tragic. Been closely watching news yesterday and this morning. Have not heard anything about any cruise ship visits being scrubbed. Now, however, we are are the lower part of the cruise "season". Air flights are coming into Paris, etc. Will watch and monitor these situations closely.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 126,119 views for this posting.

Hank hit it right on the head when he said familiarity with each named location made the book even more enjoyable. For me, each place brings back some special memory from a previous stay. I also find myself standing somewhere well known as the Eiffel Tower, or as obscure as the vineyard on the back side of Monmartre, thinking about all the people, well known or obscure themselves, who were there before me.

Paris - a magical city. My heart hurts for you.

I have been to Paris at least 20 times over the past 40 years and have almost never had a bad experience. I believe that it all depends on your attitude and the French can pick up negativity. I am so in love with that city that I walk around everywhere with a smile on my face and people have always responded.

Try learning a little French...it will do wonders.

I have plans to visit Paris again next spring for 10 days and pray for the French and their country that they heal from this latest atrocity.

I have been to Paris at least 20 times over the past 40 years and have almost never had a bad experience. I believe that it all depends on your attitude and the French can pick up negativity. I am so in love with that city that I walk around everywhere with a smile on my face and people have always responded. Try learning a little French...it will do wonders. I have plans to visit Paris again next spring for 10 days and pray for the French and their country that they heal from this latest atrocity.

Very wise and excellent comments above by ptrpanpens about Paris and France. We have only been to Paris four times, but have found things and the people there to be good and helpful. Agree that having the right attitude is beneficial!! Knowing a few words of French is good. Hope to back in the future!!

This morning on the news, there has been lots of serious discussions on these various issues. In reading many news stories from a number of international sources, there was some very interesting and moving pictures from around the world as many key world landmarks were lighted in the French tri-colors to support those in Paris. Below are a few of those visuals as a tribute to the courage and tragedy in Paris.

Vive la France ! is a great patriotic exclamation that you might hear on Bastille Day or during French elections. This great phrase is somewhat similar to our "God bless America" and the UK's "God save the Queen".

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 189,002 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here are some visuals from places we have visited that have been lighted during the past day or so in the tri-colors of France. First is the Arctic Cathedral in Tromso/Norway. Second is the Sydney Opera House. Third is Sydney's City Hall. Fourth is the London Eye. Fifth is the Arch at Washington Square in New York City.:

Nov2015PixsA10_zpsbwcw32or.jpg

Nov2015PixsA11_zpsi5tnc3ka.jpg

Nov2015PixsA7_zpswihwovb7.jpg

Nov2015PixsA9_zpss9g7uf79.jpg

Nov2015PixsA8_zpscwgtee9v.jpg

I believe the poster who had a terrible time with Parisians on their quick visit also had a terrible time with Romans on their quick visit. Perhaps Europe isn't their thing…

I've had a couple of trips to Paris and have never had a bad time with Parisians. I try to adapt to what I see - I don't go in as an American and expect everyone to adapt to me. Those little tips about saying bonjour go a ways. Even if you can't say it in French, just acknowledging people with a "hello" is welcomed. I do try to learn a few of the usual phrases in the language of the country I'm visiting.

I came down with a nasty case of the flu on one of my trips - the people at the hotel were very understanding and nice to me. Even the chi-chi restaurant at the hotel (an Alain Ducasse restaurant) went out of their way to be sure that I had "flu food" sent to my room.

I did have a chuckle about Amsterdam. To me, the Dutch I've met so far are on the cool side. But, I do not let that color my desires to travel in The Netherlands.

How not to be an American in Europe: take a peek at the latest episode of "Chrisley Knows Best" - the epitome of the Ugly American.

I am saddened and sickened by the massacre in Paris. I am also saddened and sickened by the massacres this past week in Beruit and Kenya. The American public seems to have swept these under their rugs.

Edited by slidergirl