Luggage Tag Question

510picker

I bought some plastic luggage tags holders last year. We used them on an RCI cruise and the tags fit fine. Now I'm trying to use them for my HAL cruise and the holders aren't wide enough. The only way they will fit is if I trim the Westerdam ship name off. Would doing that cause a problem?

Thanks!

Thanks for the suggestions. I printed the tags a couple weeks ago, but didn't discover they wouldn't fit until tonight. I just folded the tags as instructed, reinforced them with packing tape, punched a hole in them. Not as clean or as simple as I planned, but it will get the job done.

I bought some plastic luggage tags holders last year. We used them on an RCI cruise and the tags fit fine. Now I'm trying to use them for my HAL cruise and the holders aren't wide enough. The only way they will fit is if I trim the Westerdam ship name off. Would doing that cause a problem?

Thanks!

Is there another dam ship departing the same day? Then maybe not such a good idea.

We have printed, folded and stapled the luggage tags as instructed and have not had any issues; it stayed on.

It shouldn't take you that much time to reprint the luggage tags using a smaller print setting.

Years ago (about 2009) when we started having to print our own luggage tags, I made plastic sleeves to slip the pre-printed tags into. Have used them quite a few times and they are just now beginning to show their age.

Once we print ours, we make sure that they're good and dry. Then we cover the sheet with clear packing tape. Then we cut them. We fasten them to our bags with a staple, and put a final piece of packing tape over the staple so it doesn't catch on anyone's hand.

We paid $17 for a laminator at one of the "warehouse club" stores. Punch a hole in the laminated tag, add a zip tie, and we're done.:)

Cheaper than baggage tags or holders and our vacation isn't hanging by a staple.:eek::D:D

Cheers!

Edited by AZNative2000

Is there another dam ship departing the same day? Then maybe not such a good idea.

We have printed, folded and stapled the luggage tags as instructed and have not had any issues; it stayed on.

That's what we typically do as well, but we are flying in the day of the cruise and didn't want the hassle of finding a stapler once we got off the plane. It's just one of those little things that you think you have prepared for ahead of time only to find out at the last minute you're not.

Ditto on the laminator - they're so cheap that I just picked up one of those a few years back, and a pack of 100 8x11" laminated sheets - two luggage tags fit side by side through the laminator in one sheet, then just cut, punch in a hole and tie them on. Waterproof, more durable, and looks good too.

Also useful to have the laminator for other things - like making my own 'passport' ID for getting on and off at ports so I don't have to bring my driver's license and risk losing it - just printed up a copy of the passport ID page, laminated it, and stick it in a money clip and I'm good to go. I end up using it for all kinds of silly things, since I have it - recipe card cutouts, annual passes for local parks that are on paper cards, and so on.

Ditto on the laminator - they're so cheap that I just picked up one of those a few years back, and a pack of 100 8x11" laminated sheets - two luggage tags fit side by side through the laminator in one sheet, then just cut, punch in a hole and tie them on. Waterproof, more durable, and looks good too.

Also useful to have the laminator for other things - like making my own 'passport' ID for getting on and off at ports so I don't have to bring my driver's license and risk losing it - just printed up a copy of the passport ID page, laminated it, and stick it in a money clip and I'm good to go. I end up using it for all kinds of silly things, since I have it - recipe card cutouts, annual passes for local parks that are on paper cards, and so on.

Could you explain the "passport" ID? Are you saying an ID other than the ship ID is needed to get on/off at the ports and that a laminated COPY of the passport ID is accepted? If so, great idea!!

That's what we typically do as well, but we are flying in the day of the cruise and didn't want the hassle of finding a stapler once we got off the plane. It's just one of those little things that you think you have prepared for ahead of time only to find out at the last minute you're not.

Mini-stapler--5887033.jpg

I picked up one of these mini staplers and it goes into the box with the luggage scale, sharpie, LED press light, post-its etc that gets packed for every cruise. :)

Could you explain the "passport" ID? Are you saying an ID other than the ship ID is needed to get on/off at the ports and that a laminated COPY of the passport ID is accepted? If so, great idea!!

Depending on the port, there are some stops especially islands or ports where there's a larger population or city, where they will require BOTH a ship card and a photo ID to get through the port security on reentry to the ship. On the cruise I just took last week, Grand Turk and San Juan were both requiring dual IDs, but not St. Thomas, for example.

And yes - they will accept a high-quality color copy of a photo ID, such as passport, so making a nice laminated ID card from your passport page will suffice in those situations. I've used them for years - some ports I'm not keen on bringing my wallet or my actual IDs and would never want to bring my passport, for fear of losing or theft...so with the laminated ID copy I can just bring a money clip with some small cash, a credit card, ship ID and laminated ID in a front pocket and travel without the worry.

You shouldn't put the tags on until AFTER your flight.....the airlines have enough trouble getting bags to their destination with their OWN tags!!!

As far as ID...you should always have ID on you...your ship's card and DL are the same size...bring your DL ashore!

Edited by cb at sea

Also useful to have the laminator for other things - like making my own 'passport' ID for getting on and off at ports so I don't have to bring my driver's license and risk losing it - just printed up a copy of the passport ID page, laminated it,

THANK YOU zackiedawg!

We will travel with our new laminated passport page copies right after I get them finished. We've had the copies for a long time, I just never thought to laminate them.:rolleyes:

Cheers!

Edited by AZNative2000

You shouldn't put the tags on until AFTER your flight.....the airlines have enough trouble getting bags to their destination with their OWN tags!!!

As far as ID...you should always have ID on you...your ship's card and DL are the same size...bring your DL ashore!

Well that is debatable. In February 2013 united airlines lost my luggage before a cruise. United specifically asked it I had attached my cruise tags to my suitcase. They said I should have. I did not and I still don't. If the airlines are suggesting you do this that speaks volumes to me.

Well that is debatable. In February 2013 united airlines lost my luggage before a cruise. United specifically asked it I had attached my cruise tags to my suitcase. They said I should have. I did not and I still don't. If the airlines are suggesting you do this that speaks volumes to me.

Also in February 2013, Travel + Leisure published an article in which United Airlines was cited as the worst of all major US airlines for losing luggage. According to the article, "United flew about the same number of passengers last year [2012] as American Airlines but mishandled nearly 80,000 more bags." I certainly wouldn't be listening to their advice about attaching cruise tags! :rolleyes:

Also in February 2013, Travel + Leisure published an article in which United Airlines was cited as the worst of all major US airlines for losing luggage. According to the article, "United flew about the same number of passengers last year [2012] as American Airlines but mishandled nearly 80,000 more bags." I certainly wouldn't be listening to their advice about attaching cruise tags! :rolleyes:

I can't tell you how much I hate United. They are a total crapshow. I haven't set foot on another of their flights nor do I intend to if it can be avoided. Interesting statistic just the same. Thx.

"Anything worth doing is worth overdoing."

We print the tags on card stock (heavier than paper), then "laminate" them with sealing tape so they are all sealed up, then punch a hole in one end. We then take several cable ties with us, and just before getting to the ship, we attach the tags with the cable ties. I usually carry a Swiss army knife, so trimming the ties is easy. The only negative to this is that you've probably made your tags a week or so in advance, and then the Upgrade Fairy strikes. All new tags with the new stateroom number!

A somewhat related suggestion: Before you leave home, put a complete itinerary of your trip (hotels, flights, addresses, cruise details, phone numbers, etc.) in an outer zipped pocket of each piece of luggage. The create another tag similar to HAL's luggage tag that says "If this bag is lost, a complete itinerary is inside the outer zipped compartment." Attach them with ... what else ... cable ties ... before you leave home.

A somewhat related suggestion: Before you leave home, put a complete itinerary of your trip (hotels, flights, addresses, cruise details, phone numbers, etc.) in an outer zipped pocket of each piece of luggage. The create another tag similar to HAL's luggage tag that says "If this bag is lost, a complete itinerary is inside the outer zipped compartment." Attach them with ... what else ... cable ties ... before you leave home.

Now every interested baggage handler knows how long you'll be away from home. Not my choice of information to provide.

All of these issues and more contributed greatly to our decision to travel with carry on only whenever possible.

After three years of doing it we appreciate the benefits even more than we thought we would and it has become easier to do with every trip.