Celebrity cancelled our Cruise...what do I do??

mkelly2

I have cruised with Princess and Carnival before, I think I may not have booked directly with Princess and Carnival, I can not remember.

I booked the 1/22/16 10 day cruise, directly thru Celebrity. I booked on 4/7/15, after much research of what ship and what exact room I wanted. I booked a 1B class room for $1749/person.

My confirmation letter said that the payment was due 11/8/15. I mistakenly assumed that the final payment would also be charged to my credit card,as it was on Princess and Carnival.

I only received ONE follow up letter from Celebrity on 6/11/15, informing us that the Dominca port was being removed.

I received no other information in form of emails, from Celebrity regarding this Sailing. On 11/12/15 I was checking my credit card statement,and saw that "royal Caribbean" refunded my $900.

I called Celebrity and they told me my reservation was cancelled, and could not be re-instated at the $1749 rate for the same 1B room( the exact room was still available)....it would now be over $3600/person for that room.

I asked why I was not sent reminder emails, they said I was, but could not find proof of the email. They only could see the the april and June emails they sent me.

I checked my Trash and Spam folders, and the only "celebrity" emails I received, were promotional information, nothing specific to my reservation.

I am VERY frustrated and sad, my Daughter is getting Married in 3 weeks, and this was to be our "decompression vacation".

I have spoken to two supervisors at Celebrity's Resolution department, and both of them say, that even though the 1B room is still there, I can not get it at that rate, $1749. We do not want to spend $2000 more on this vacation.

Their solution was a "cheaper" room at today's rates, still $550 more /person, for a much more inferior room.

What can I do????

I need help!

I feel your pain. This happened to us when the final payment was due for our Eclipse sailing leaving Monday. On previous sailings they have never auto-cancelled due to lack of final payment. Thankfully, I booked thru a TA who fought to get my cabin and rate re-I stated. We only missed the final payment date by one day. According to my TA this auto-cancel is a new procedure. Scary! I told her to give me a final payment date at least one week early.

Very frustrating but don't give up!

Juiie

I doubt there's any hope of getting that reservation reinstated at that fare.

Did it include any perks? If not, be sure to consider that the current fare they are offering will include perks, free beverage package for example, On a 10 day, that's valued at $1298 for the cabin alone for 2 people. I see the 1b price went up just yesterday by $400 pp, (its 5th price hike since you booked) as did many fares I have been watching, now at its highest price since going on sale.

Other options, take the lesser cabin, I'm assuming this is the Equinox Ultimate Caribbean Sailing? Insides are at $1399 pp, (no perks) Ocean view $1999pp, which includes 1 perk, the most valuable would be the beverage package.

Other options, wait and see if fares drop and book last minute. This sailing still has 36% open cabins, almost all cabin categories still available, and they have not yet opened up Guarantee cabins, which I would expect to happen in the next week or so based on the final payment date being last week.

Me in your position, I'd accept that I screwed up and just move forward and chuck it up as a learning experience, and roll the dice and hope fares come down a bit so the verandas are better priced, and worst case, sail in an inside cabin.

In the future, book with a TA, they will handhold and ensure you meet deadlines in most cases, alerting you 2 weeks in advance to get payment particulars.

Edited by cle-guy

Other options, wait and see if fares drop and book last minute. This sailing still has 36% open cabins, almost all cabin categories still available, and they have not yet opened up Guarantee cabins, which I would expect to happen in the next week or so based on the final payment date being last week.

Me in your position, I'd accept that I screwed up and just move forward and chuck it up as a learning experience, and roll the dice and hope fares come down a bit so the verandas are better priced, and worst case, sail in an inside cabin.

I am sorry this happened. I think the above advice is what I would do if I was in your shoes. Start keeping an eye on the sailing daily. Given it still has 36% open cabins I bet you will get lucky and catch a similar rate. Also, Princess has some good last minute rates.

Sorry to read this.

I am also sorry Celebrity is treating you this way. I can only imagine that if Celebrity does NOT send out reminder emails about upcoming final payments, there has to be more cruisers not remembering and based on your experience ALL of them being told 'too bad'. Very poor customer service policy. I do wonder too if that is a strict and unbendable policy whereby NO cruiser has ever gotten some relief. (I bet there has been)

As a side note, I do wonder how many people book and do not cancel and basically hold a cabin till final payment and Celebrity then has to cancel these cabins and put them back into inventory.

First of all they should fix their email system to remind you closer to final payment. Granted they could and still have customers forget. I personally think they should send reminders, do a phone call to you also till they make contact or at least have 3 calls showing they tried. That would be Customer Service, that would be what I think would great companies do!

I also have to say that there was some responsibility on your part to have NOT relied on Celebrity on any company. Easy for me to say, but I have be in a similar situation and learned the hard way and I now bug them, including my TA, to get me confirmations, things in writing, etc. Then I go online to check status frequently to make sure nothing is changing.

I think I would actually see if you can find a TA that might help you and then you should use that TA for future bookings as well as sing their praises whether they are successful or not if they tried to help.

Edited by shipshape sam

I booked once via Celebrity when redeeming a cruise with credit card points and they were very good in my experience.

I do not remember any email reminders, but I was on top of the cruise myself and in that particular situation, it was paid for when I redeemed credit card points, thus no issue surrounding final payment.

I am just surprised that Celebrity would not have some system to remind customers and maybe it was a slip.

It is interesting based on OP, that Celebrity cannot show a record of recent email reminders close to final payment. If true, then to me, that should provide Celebrity with some rational to help out and reinstate the reservation. If they did send emails, then beyond my belief that great companies take steps to help and protect their customers, they may believe they lived up to their 'exacting and high' standards of customer service.

Go into ' My Celebrity' and

a) check they have your correct email address

b) you have the correct preferences ticked

Personally, I highlight the due date for payment, put it on my kitchen calendar and on my phone.

At least you were refunded your deposit, if you lived in UK you would have lost it.

We just returned from a cruise with Celebrity and I went back through my emails and I too received notification of payment due - I've copied and pasted below:

IMPORTANT NOTICE:

Thank you for choosing Celebrity for your upcoming cruise vacation. This is a reminder that a balance due remains on your account. Your reservation will be cancelled in less than two days if payment in full is not made.

To make a payment, simply open your My Celebrity account at http://www.celebrity.com/mycelebrity. With your My Celebrity account, you may also create and store travel profile information, book onboard Xtras, such as AquaSpa® treatments and more.

If you prefer to speak to a Celebrity Cruise Vacation Planner to make a payment, call 1-800-647-2251.

For your convenience, we have provided the details of your reservation and payment below.

Sad that when you book directly with the cruise line they make more money since they don't have to pay the agent commission, they don't give you any perks and they can't be bothered to follow up on final payment. :rolleyes:

Seems pretty harsh to cancel a booking when they have had your money without even a phone call or an e-mail.

I'd keep fighting!!

Agree - Keep fighting. Also agree that Celebrity is not friendly to those that book directly. There are other instances where travel agents have been able to get things done that I as a client could not. I will rethink booking directly if I book Celebrity again.

Emails aren't perfect. Hundreds of things can go wrong with emails.

My boss once told me never to rely on email as a method of communication, always use the phone in addition to email, he would never tolerate "I never got your email" as an excuse for anything.

It was an important lesson to learn.

There may be better rates available with other travel agencies. If it is Equinox Jan 22, on one popular site, I see an OV for $1374 and a 2C for $1819 including 2 perks. Not a 1B but at least you'll be onboard sipping a cocktail. Black Friday is quickly approaching too which may possibly bring some better deals/perks. There is also a site (google to find) where you can request quotes directly from competing agents. There is a chance that group rates are still floating around out there.

Sad that when you book directly with the cruise line they make more money since they don't have to pay the agent commission, they don't give you any perks and they can't be bothered to follow up on final payment. :rolleyes:

Seems pretty harsh to cancel a booking when they have had your money without even a phone call or an e-mail.

I'd keep fighting!!

Let's be realistic - X has +/- 25,000 passengers each week, is it possible to call and remind everyone of final payment? Does your credit card call you to remind you to pay your bill? Your mortgage lender? I would venture to guess that most, if not all, get email reminders these days. And cleguy is right - so much can go wrong with email, which is why it's important to take some personal responsibility.

I sincerely feel for the OP, because it stinks, but honestly - if it happened to me ... I'd like to place the burden on someone else (and I'd probably try to find a way to blame my husband ;)), but in actuality - I would only have myself to blame.

Bummer. This almost happened to me on our last cruise. I had booked more than a year in advance at a rate much lower than what was being offered around the time final payment was due. I never received an email telling me it was time to pay. Thankfully I called the day it was due to ask if it would automatically be charged to my credit card. The rep said no, so I paid then. He told me the reservation would have been cancelled had I not called and paid. I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the much lower fares we had signed up for?

I'd wait to see if a bargain appears or start looking at other options...fares are up but there are also many deals out there as cruise lines are trying to fill their slots...maybe see a trvl agnt..

We always print out our conf and watch the final payment date like hawks!

we received two or three e mail reminders for our Jan 2016 cruise!

Our roll call also reminds everyone about this and request for luggage tags.

Sorry it happened, but if you book on your own you have to keep track...

Bummer. This almost happened to me on our last cruise. I had booked more than a year in advance at a rate much lower than what was being offered around the time final payment was due. I never received an email telling me it was time to pay. Thankfully I called the day it was due to ask if it would automatically be charged to my credit card. The rep said no, so I paid then. He told me the reservation would have been cancelled had I not called and paid. I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the much lower fares we had signed up for?

Are you suggesting that perhaps X is intentionally not notifying people of final payment in hopes that they will forget to pay and then they can resell at a higher rate? Am I reading that correctly??

I have cruised with Princess and Carnival before, I think I may not have booked directly with Princess and Carnival, I can not remember.

I booked the 1/22/16 10 day cruise, directly thru Celebrity. I booked on 4/7/15, after much research of what ship and what exact room I wanted. I booked a 1B class room for $1749/person.

My confirmation letter said that the payment was due 11/8/15. I mistakenly assumed that the final payment would also be charged to my credit card,as it was on Princess and Carnival.

I only received ONE follow up letter from Celebrity on 6/11/15, informing us that the Dominca port was being removed.

I received no other information in form of emails, from Celebrity regarding this Sailing. On 11/12/15 I was checking my credit card statement,and saw that "royal Caribbean" refunded my $900.

I called Celebrity and they told me my reservation was cancelled, and could not be re-instated at the $1749 rate for the same 1B room( the exact room was still available)....it would now be over $3600/person for that room.

I asked why I was not sent reminder emails, they said I was, but could not find proof of the email. They only could see the the april and June emails they sent me.

I checked my Trash and Spam folders, and the only "celebrity" emails I received, were promotional information, nothing specific to my reservation.

I am VERY frustrated and sad, my Daughter is getting Married in 3 weeks, and this was to be our "decompression vacation".

I have spoken to two supervisors at Celebrity's Resolution department, and both of them say, that even though the 1B room is still there, I can not get it at that rate, $1749. We do not want to spend $2000 more on this vacation.

Their solution was a "cheaper" room at today's rates, still $550 more /person, for a much more inferior room.

What can I do????

I need help!

1) That the Royal Caribbean / Celebrity computer system / IT department is a mess is well known (except to first time cruisers).

2) Before anyone or any company and automatically charge your card, they need your permission to do so. Did you give Celebrity this permission?

3) This seems to be another example of why it is better to book with a travel agent than with the cruise line directly.

4) While you can blame Celebrity, you should also have been keeping on top of this. I have a payment due at the end of January 2016. I will not be waiting for some cruise line (or my agent) to notify me. I calendar this date and will make my final payment before it is due. There is no reason you could not do the same thing.

Nearly all small print states that they don't send you emails or letters telling you the final payment date reminders.

Usually that's at the bottom where it says final balance due by........

It's then your responsibly to make sure you pay this by the date due.

As the above poster says, I always write all dates down in my diary and calendar and make sure there paid at the beginning of the final payment month.

The real issue here is the assumption that the cruise line will automatically charge the final payment to the same credit card used for the deposit. That is a practice we most definitely do not want, and I would be very surprised if Princess and Carnival do that as a matter of course. Surely it was his travel agent, not the cruise lines, on those earlier cruises who initiated the payments. Once the payment is made it is difficult if not impossible to be fully reimbursed. That's why cruise lines require a positive action by the passenger to confirm and pay for the cabin.

I am sorry that this experience was so costly for you. We can't depend on the cruise line to alert us when payments are due (although my experience is that I do get reminder emails.)