Sick and Tired of Tricks

I am obviously in the minority, but wonder why people need the cooler in the first place - technically you are not supposed to bring drinks on board and I use an ice bucket to cool my wine that I carried on. True refrigerators are provided if you need to refrigerate meds. So what goes in the cooler that necessitates emptying?

I am sick and tired of RCI charging me for stuff after my cruise is over. I always pay off my account on the last night. For the last 5 cruises, anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks, a charge from RCI shows up and I can only assume it's the barman that checks the honor bar daily. I don't touch that overpriced candy, pop, and Evian. I either bring my own candy or I have a drink package. I may move it to the ledge over the sofa (in plain view) or on top of the vanity (in plain view), but when we leave the ship I put it back exactly where I found it. I have 2 cruises that are already paid off so I'm not going to cancel them (already purchased airfare that's non-refundable) but I'm done with this. I don't feel calling RCI is going to help as it's my word against theirs.

Sounds like you've found your prescription for being sick and no more RCL cruises should releive you from being tired.

When you empty the fridge, you're charged. I mean how is the room steward going to know what you brought on board vs you enjoying the mini-fridge? Especially if you bring your own goodies.

If this has happened five cruises, I'm thinking this is on you.

I am obviously in the minority, but wonder why people need the cooler in the first place - technically you are not supposed to bring drinks on board and I use an ice bucket to cool my wine that I carried on. True refrigerators are provided if you need to refrigerate meds. So what goes in the cooler that necessitates emptying?

On a rare occasion unfinished desserts have gone in there as well as some beers bought originally in a beer bag. Some times they're actually cool and sometimes not. Depends on how cool it is. Usually there's enough room to stick one or two items inside.

I remove the items and put them on the shelf above the tv, then leave a sticky note for the bar attendant to let him/her know where the items have been placed, and also that we will NOT be using the mini-bar items and they do NOT need to check our room every day.

No problem with erroneous charges after the fact, and one less possible interruption to a potential nap each day! :D

Thank you. I jave four cabins booked and tmtwo with newbies and I will give them these instructions. I think this will hopefully solve the problem. Sailing over NYE on Indy and cant wait.

If this helps - every cruise I call my Room Steward on the first day to have him/her empty the mini-fridge completely. They do it gladly and with no fuss. I've never gotten a room charge post-cruise after that.

Lucky you after all these year crushing I never get them to do that. I always get a lots of excuses and they don't do anything

I am sick and tired of RCI charging me for stuff after my cruise is over. I always pay off my account on the last night. For the last 5 cruises, anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks, a charge from RCI shows up and I can only assume it's the barman that checks the honor bar daily. I don't touch that overpriced candy, pop, and Evian. I either bring my own candy or I have a drink package. I may move it to the ledge over the sofa (in plain view) or on top of the vanity (in plain view), but when we leave the ship I put it back exactly where I found it. I have 2 cruises that are already paid off so I'm not going to cancel them (already purchased airfare that's non-refundable) but I'm done with this. I don't feel calling RCI is going to help as it's my word against theirs.
It's pretty easy, check your bill before you leave the ship or save yourself a heart attack and have the mini fridge emptied out the first day.......:eek:

I must make myself clearer...I don't empty the mini-cooler. I'm moving the water bottles and/or cans of pop off the vanity. They way they pile that stuff up, you can't get access to the side shelves and there's already limited space on the desk top. There's barely room for the ice bucket! On my Serenade repo cruise, now that I think of it, there were 6 bottles of water sitting on the desk, one of the bottles had melted chocolate dripped down the side and there were 5 bottles of water in the cooler. I never saw the candy. Next time (March on Jewel) I will do an assessment of the honor bar and immediately notify my cabin steward if something is missing.

On my August solo cruise on MJ, Orville was the barman checking the mini-bars and he was my bar server in the MDR (I had a drink package). Orville and I hit it off, and I told him of experiences regarding the after charges and that I don't touch it. I tipped him well and that cruise was the only one in the last year and a half that I did not have the after charges.

I think setting up my Seapass as a cash account will be in my future.

I would not bet on that as the op has taken it upon himself to do just this and even though its there if it isn't in the cooler, yes you can be charged. Better to get bar service to do it so they know

We've done this in the past, where "we" empty the cooler and put the items in a cabinet. I then write a large not in black marker and attach it to the front of the cooler telling them where they can find the items. Works like a charm.

Lucky you after all these year crushing I never get them to do that. I always get a lots of excuses and they don't do anything
have always had the fridge emptied for years now, never a problem never as you say, "Lots of excuses and they don't do anything".....:rolleyes:

It's pretty easy, check your bill before you leave the ship or save yourself a heart attack and have the mini fridge emptied out the first day.......:eek:

She did check her bill. It was fine. The charges showed up after she got home.

I pay off my account before I leave the ship. The bar staff apparently don't submit mini-bar charges until they turn the room around (after 9:30 am). So I've debarked by 9:30 am, hence, the charge shows up anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks after I've gotten home.

We've done this in the past, where "we" empty the cooler and put the items in a cabinet. I then write a large not in black marker and attach it to the front of the cooler telling them where they can find the items. Works like a charm.

I may have to try this Patti, other than going to a cash account on board. Too bad you can't assume intelligence on part of the crew anymore. They are trained for speed, and if something isn't exactly where it's supposed to be, it's easier for them to mark it off as consumed instead of looking around for it.

Sounds like you've found your prescription for being sick and no more RCL cruises should relieve you from being tired.

When you empty the fridge, you're charged. (I don't empty the fridge) I mean how is the room steward going to know what you brought on board vs you enjoying the mini-fridge? Especially if you bring your own goodies. (my goodies do not require cooling and are stored on a shelf above the TV)

I was solo on Empress just before she left the fleet. Back then they put pool towels in your cabin. So I had 2 blue pool towels. The cabin steward and his assistant knew I was solo (I tipped him as a double occupant). I used one towel and he never replaced it as I had another one already in the room. Guess what, I had a $25 charge 2 weeks after getting home. The steward must have "forgotten" I was solo and charged me for the 2nd towel.

Sounds like you've found your prescription for being sick and no more RCL cruises should releive you from being tired.

When you empty the fridge, you're charged. (I don't empty the fridge)I mean how is the room steward going to know what you brought on board vs you enjoying the mini-fridge? Especially if you bring your own goodies. (my goodies do not require cooling and are stored on a shelf above the TV)

I was solo on Empress just before she left the fleet. Back then they put pool towels in your cabin. So I had 2 blue pool towels. The cabin steward and his assistant knew I was solo (I tipped him as a double occupant). I used one towel and he never replaced it as I had another one already in the room. Guess what, I had a $25 charge 2 weeks after getting home. The steward must have "forgotten" I was solo and charged me for the 2nd towel.

I do the same thing. I move the stuff out of the mini-fridge and tell the stewart to let EVERYONE know their stuff was in MY way :) I also have a cash account. So I don't know if that's why they have never billed me later because they can't. But the cash account works best for myself for many more reason not just this.

Edited by BlueSkySailing

We've been lucky about not having gotten mistaken charges, but after reading the boards for so many years, one thing I've started doing is taking a picture of the minibar and all its contents when we are leaving the ship. I make sure the time/date function is on whichever device I use to take the photo. That way if there is ever a dispute I can email the picture to Royal.

Pat

We've been lucky about not having gotten mistaken charges, but after reading the boards for so many years, one thing I've started doing is taking a picture of the minibar and all its contents when we are leaving the ship. I make sure the time/date function is on whichever device I use to take the photo. That way if there is ever a dispute I can email the picture to Royal.

Pat

The only way that could possibly work is if the picture was taken the exact second you swiped off the ship for the last time. There WILL be a time lapse between when you take it and when you swipe off - therefore that picture will not prove that you didn't take anything between taking the picture and leaving the ship.

I do the same thing. I move the stuff out of the mini-fridge and tell the stewart to let EVERYONE know their stuff was in MY way :) I also have a cash account. So I don't know if that's why they have never billed me later because they can't. But the cash account works best for myself for many more reason not just this.

Poor Stewart. He has so much to remember for so many cabins - some that I bet he didn't even think were assigned to him and on ships where he doesn't even work. :P

So what goes in the cooler that necessitates emptying?

You are allowed to bring on 2 bottles of wine per cabin. We don't but some do.

At our level we get free water & a welcome back beverage and Amenities- which can be up to 3 bottles of wine... if we choose them, all requiring a cooler.

We always empty it ourselves and put it somewhere visible-- along with a note of the dates we are in that cabin often B2B etc. and it will be empty.

We have had charges on our acct. while on board-- that were because they entered the wrong cabin # on their inventory.

We have a few times had charges added to our CC account After we are home. We start out with a Cash Acct. but give them a CC mid cruise.

Again, wrong Cabin# was entered or someone helped themselves to some items? as we never used anything in the mini bar.

Calling the Post Cruise phone # has reversed the charge.

If this helps - every cruise I call my Room Steward on the first day to have him/her empty the mini-fridge completely. They do it gladly and with no fuss. I've never gotten a room charge post-cruise after that.

When I move the mini bar stuff into a pile somewhere I find the steward takes it away without being asked. Never have had a problem.

We ALWAYS ask the room attendant to remove everything from the fridge. Had the same problem at a hotel and since then if there is a fridge in the room or cabin I ask them to remove all of the contents.

I am sick and tired of RCI charging me for stuff after my cruise is over.

If this is really a problem, as soon as the cruise is over report the card lost. You'll get a new one with a new number, and charges against the old number won't go through. Then they have to ask you for money instead of taking it and make you beg for it back.

have always had the fridge emptied for years now, never a problem never as you say, "Lots of excuses and they don't do anything".....:rolleyes:

That worked for you but Royal Caribbean is consistently inconsistent. We've had two attendants refuse to empty it. They said they couldn't. End of story.