Wow, What a Captain: Vision of the Seas

pequita

Bob, do you know if he will be on when we sail in January?

I know he is on the New year cruise as we return for both the Christmas and NY cruises and I asked him if he would be with us:).

As Captains generally do 10 weeks on 10 weeks off and he was already onboard for the crossing on 30th October there is a good chance he will be gone by beginning of the New year.

I know he is on the New year cruise as we return for both the Christmas and NY cruises and I asked him if he would be with us:).

As Captains generally do 10 weeks on 10 weeks off and he was already onboard for the crossing on 30th October there is a good chance he will be gone by beginning of the New year.

Our cruise heads out on January 2nd, so we may miss him, if the above is correct. I wonder who the alternate is.

• 4 weeks later...

Just off Vision and Captain Marek (who loves hard rock music) was quite a guy! He sang at a few venues and that hard rock growl in his throat was apparent. As others have said, he was super involved in all the ship activities and very approachable. One of my favorite announcements was when he said, "Well, I've never been to Bonaire but luckily we have GPS." And the morning we arrived in Bonaire - "We found Bonaire!" He really made the cruise more enjoyable.

Our cruise heads out on January 2nd, so we may miss him, if the above is correct. I wonder who the alternate is.

According to the Current Captains thread, Captain Marek will be on until 1/11/2016, and will return for the 3/26/2016 Cruise. I am excited for this as I have not had the pleasure of cruising with Captain Marek before, and we board on March 26th! We loved Captain Liz, but she is now on the Jewel.

According to the Current Captains thread, Captain Marek will be on until 1/11/2016, and will return for the 3/26/2016 Cruise. I am excited for this as I have not had the pleasure of cruising with Captain Marek before, and we board on March 26th! We loved Captain Liz, but she is now on the Jewel.

You won't be disappointed.:)

Just got back from the Vision of the Seas. The Captain of the ship, Captain Merick was unbelievable in every way. I have never seen a Captain so involved with his crew in my life. He was highly visible, very friendly, good anouncements and treated all the crew like a family and his team.

So out-going he was that he participated in all the crew shows, mingled with the guest at the windjammer on a daily basis and stopped you and asked about you and your experience on the ship.

He should be a bench-mark for all Captains. Everyone was talking about him and his invovement with his crew. His actions were notice by everyone and you could tell his crew or team respected him to the highest.

He is the best advertisment Royal Caribbean has.

I agree 100%. I even approached him in the Windjammer to compliment his great attitude and great staff he is directing.

I too just got off the Vision this Saturday and agree 110% with the OP. The captain was always telling a joke during the announcements to get a laugh out of you, talking to you while out and about, or participating in the Centrum events. I've never in all my cruises seen a Captain singing like that, I believe he Sang Bon Jovi "It's My Life" and "Mustang Sally." He was actually better than the singer we had entertaining us earlier in the cruise (Donovan.)

Thanks Captain, you set a benchmark not many will reach!

Just got back from the Vision of the Seas. The Captain of the ship, Captain Merick was unbelievable in every way. I have never seen a Captain so involved with his crew in my life. He was highly visible, very friendly, good anouncements and treated all the crew like a family and his team.

So out-going he was that he participated in all the crew shows, mingled with the guest at the windjammer on a daily basis and stopped you and asked about you and your experience on the ship.

He should be a bench-mark for all Captains. Everyone was talking about him and his invovement with his crew. His actions were notice by everyone and you could tell his crew or team respected him to the highest.

Then you haven't met Captain Rick Sullivan and Captain Olav (who is now retired):)

Then you haven't met Captain Rick Sullivan and Captain Olav (who is now retired):)

Loved Captain Olav. He was what you expect a Captain to be, professional, courteous, knowledgeable and just aloof enough to command respect. Too bad he retired. Captain Marek is a different breed, young and more visible, but obviously wants to be liked.

Definitely one of our favorites! He had a private cocktail hour IN HIS CABIN for the Pinnacles (only 8 of us) last year, and all of the officers were there. He went to the beach with us in Costa Maya, too! We sail Vision again on 3/19, so I'm disappointed to read he won't return until 3/26...

Peter

Placing my flame suite on...

Personally, I appreciate a good cruise director far more than a visible outgoing captain. Am I the only one who wants the Captain navigating the ship? I don't care if he doesn't say a word as long as we get to our destinations (and back) safely.

I leave the shmoozing and all that to the rest of the crew.

Dan

Placing my flame suite on...

Personally, I appreciate a good cruise director far more than a visible outgoing captain. Am I the only one who wants the Captain navigating the ship? I don't care if he doesn't say a word as long as we get to our destinations (and back) safely.

I leave the shmoozing and all that to the rest of the crew.

Dan

Dan, welcome to Cruise Critic.

You can put your flame suit away. Everyone has favorites, whether it be captains, hotel directors, cruise directors, and the list goes on.

What is so interesting about this thread, is the fact that the captain of the ship really sets the mood for the rest of the ship to follow. And, there are some very outgoing captains, and the whole ship seems to respond, very positive.

Captain Marek, Sullivan, Liz, and a few others are very good examples of captains that seem to go out of their way to be friendly, yet just enough aloofness to let everyone know who is in charge.

Rick

Don't put him on too high a pedestal. He's just as imperfect as the rest of us. It's too easy to be dazzled by personality.

As for what the pp posted, yes the Captain needs to be good at his real job, but, that said, there are multiple qualified officers who do the actual driving of the ship most of the time.

A good manager allows his staff to set the mood by being good managers themselves. Captains are usually more removed from their staff in order to keep that line drawn between familiarity and respect. He has to be in charge, and doesn't have to be liked, just respected. If anyone knows how the military and merchant mariners operate, he's not the norm. We also didn't find the crew any happier on Vision than we have on other ships we've been on - Grandeur in particular.

My main issue with him is that he seems to thrive on the attention, kind of like a celebrity.

Edited by BND

Dan, welcome to Cruise Critic.

You can put your flame suit away. Everyone has favorites, whether it be captains, hotel directors, cruise directors, and the list goes on.

What is so interesting about this thread, is the fact that the captain of the ship really sets the mood for the rest of the ship to follow. And, there are some very outgoing captains, and the whole ship seems to respond, very positive.

Captain Marek, Sullivan, Liz, and a few others are very good examples of captains that seem to go out of their way to be friendly, yet just enough aloofness to let everyone know who is in charge.

Rick

Well said. I can say, I do appreciate hearing from the captain when we arrive to ports, upon departure, etc... They do a good job of putting us at ease and relaying important info.

Having had good, and not so good, cruise directors I just feel that they have far more impact on our cruise enjoyment than the captain. I don't mean to derail this thread. I just view the role of the captain a little different than others I guess. :)

Dan

Fabulous! We will look forward to meeting him as we will be sailing on the Vision in a couple of weeks! Thanks!

(pssssssst)...........the computer really "sails the ship"..........much like a train engineer and airplane pilot most of the skill is in stopping and starting their respective vehicle.......

pssssssst... tell that to the Captain of the Costa Concordia.

I don't mean that to be snarky. ...and I hate to relate that tragedy to this thread. However, in reality, it's the reason I posted my first response in this thread. The Captain truly has the decision making responsibilities for the lives of those on board. The Concordia tragedy appears to have happened due to the vanity of the Captain. I am in no way overlaying that tragedy to the awesome words being said about Captain Marek. I'm sure he deserves the praise he gets.

I just seem to have a different view of what a Captain's responsibilities are I guess.

Dan

I hope no one thinks that the captain sits in the bridge 10-12 hours a day....sure he /she is there when entering or leaving a port, but when they are in open water, there are many that guide the ship. The captain would always be available if any situation happens. My understanding was that the captain of the Concorida, made the decision to sail close to shore so someone could wave to their friends......

pssssssst... tell that to the Captain of the Costa Concordia.

I don't mean that to be snarky. ...and I hate to relate that tragedy to this thread. However, in reality, it's the reason I posted my first response in this thread. The Captain truly has the decision making responsibilities for the lives of those on board. The Concordia tragedy appears to have happened due to the vanity of the Captain. I am in no way overlaying that tragedy to the awesome words being said about Captain Marek. I'm sure he deserves the praise he gets.

I just seem to have a different view of what a Captain's responsibilities are I guess.

Dan

....................pssssst.................the Captain over rode all the programed charted avenues to "sail"...........".Stupid is as stupid does" Forrest Gump.........