Labadee: No tip, no chairs

And while I'm on my soapbox, not taking some singles with you so you can tip is just an excuse to not tip.

If I'm not drinking and I'm not going to the straw market, why do I need to take money to go lay on the beach? I also don't take a phone, camera, or any other electronics with me to labadee. It is a lazy beach day. I minimize my risk of being ripped off by having nothing there of any value for someone to take. It's not an excuse not to tip; I'm not purchasing anything!

My local supermarket chain offers carry out service and they specifically have signs saying NO TIPPING. So if I use the service should I explain to the worker not to expect a tip?

When I was a kid I worked at a supermarket that had a no tipping policy, I was told as an employee that if I was observed accepting a tip I would be fired.

If I'm not drinking and I'm not going to the straw market, why do I need to take money to go lay on the beach? I also don't take a phone, camera, or any other electronics with me to labadee. It is a lazy beach day. I minimize my risk of being ripped off by having nothing there of any value for someone to take. It's not an excuse not to tip; I'm not purchasing anything!

Drinks go on the Seapass card and a gratuity is added. So money is not needed for drinking either. Shouldn't need any money. We know what we know about the chair people so we take a couple of bucks but everyone does not know about them. And has been mentioned passengers who have never been or who have been to other private islands likely would not bring any money.

As noted earlier by someone , it is printed in the compass that no tipping is necessary. Someone at sometime gave the chair guy a couple bucks and he said , this is cool. Now he expects everyone to give him something.

And therein, to my mind is the problem with tipping, some (many even) come to see it as an entitlement rather than a gift.

Then it seems, some employees say/have said "You're getting tips so we'll pay you less".

As noted earlier by someone , it is printed in the compass that no tipping is necessary. Someone at sometime gave the chair guy a couple bucks and he said , this is cool. Now he expects everyone to give him something.

I am sure that is exactly what happened. Folks who say everyone should know to take their wallet when leaving the ship started it. [emoji849]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

Well this comment specifically applies to Labadee, but you really don't throw a dollar in the basket for the guys who are playing music on the dock?????

Again, I just don't get it. We have so much and they have so little.

We were in Labadee a couple of weeks ago, and saw the workers there getting food at the buffet, not sure if they can all do it, or just some of them but they had take out containers that they could feel with their lunch.

I think the difference is between the RCI workers and the local "vendors" from the straw market.

The locals who are working in the merchandise booths are NOT RCI workers. They are natives who come in for the day only on days that ships are docking.

The workers who are employed by RCI (either from the ship or who live on the RCI compound) are the ones you see eating food from the buffet, NOT the locals from the straw market.

Well this comment specifically applies to Labadee, but you really don't throw a dollar in the basket for the guys who are playing music on the dock?????

Again, I just don't get it. We have so much and they have so little.

I've never noticed baskets of money at the dock at Labadee:confused: Is this a thing?

I'm not sure what you don't get. If I go to any cruise lines private compound for a beach day I get off the ship, I stake out my preferred spot, I read, I eat, I swim, I nap. I bring a book, hat, sunglasses, and sunblock. I don't bring any money or anything of value to leave on the beach where it would be out of my sight for any period of time; that's just being prudent and safe.

Spare me the guilt trip. OP was being shaken down, period. That's not something I am very tolerant of and certainly would not reward or suggest rewarding. People pay a lot of money for a Royal Caribbean vacation and should not be hassled by people working for Royal Caribbean at their private beach.

Royal and Celebrity tell passengers that all they need is their seapass card. That Labadee is like being on the ship. I would not bring any money if I did not know about the chair butler tips. I have never taken any money to Half Moon Cay or Princess Cay. There was never a need too. They also are private just like being on the ship. Again, I never carry money on the ship. That is because I am a seasoned traveler and know I don't need any bucks there. I don't actually need any money at Labadee.

This is untrue. The Compass specifically said that if you wanted to make any purchases from the "straw market" you would need to bring cash.

I think the difference is between the RCI workers and the local "vendors" from the straw market.

The locals who are working in the merchandise booths are NOT RCI workers. They are natives who come in for the day only on days that ships are docking.

The workers who are employed by RCI (either from the ship or who live on the RCI compound) are the ones you see eating food from the buffet, NOT the locals from the straw market.

Then who do the guys that shakedown passengers for setting up chairs work for? Don't even tell me it's not RCI...

This is untrue. The Compass specifically said that if you wanted to make any purchases from the "straw market" you would need to bring cash.

Obviously if you plan to make purchases from the straw market you would need cash. That isn't what we are discussing. You don't need cash for chairs, drinks, zip line, snorkel equipment, floats, wave runners, food. Personally I won't go near that market because they frigging demand you buy something.

Nothing.

But great non-answer.

My post SPECIFICALLY quoted and referred to workers being allowed or not allowed to eat the food at the buffet -- it had nothing to do with the chairs at all.

How is that a "non-answer" when you didn't ask a question / make a comment that had ANYTHING to do with what I was posting about????

I've never noticed baskets of money at the dock at Labadee:confused: Is this a thing?

I have seen the baskets. I never put any money in them. I don't feel like it. I don't put money in the musicians cases who play when I come out of the Metro either.

My post SPECIFICALLY quoted and referred to workers being allowed or not allowed to eat the food at the buffet -- it had nothing to do with the chairs at all.

How is that a "non-answer" when you didn't ask a question / make a comment that had ANYTHING to do with what I was posting about????

I'm the guy sticking to the thread topic. you're the other guy.

Obviously if you plan to make purchases from the straw market you would need cash. That isn't what we are discussing. You don't need cash for chairs, drinks, zip line, snorkel equipment, floats, wave runners, food. Personally I won't go near that market because they frigging demand you buy something.

I'm not sure if you folks don't understand the concept of the quote function, or what. Heck, I even BOLDED the part I was referring to.

I quoted someone who said that Royal tells people they only need their Seapass, that it's like being on the ship. That is blatantly false -- Royal tells people to bring cash if they would like to purchase from the straw market.

I was ONLY referring to the false statement that was made which I quoted and bolded.

You say "obviously" you'd need cash for the straw market, but that's NOT obvious to people who have never been there before, particularly if they see FALSE statements online about how you only need to take your Seapass to Labadee b/c "it's just like being on the ship". That is why I quoted/bolded that particular line and corrected the falsehood.

:rolleyes:

I'm not sure if you folks don't understand the concept of the quote function, or what. Heck, I even BOLDED the part I was referring to.

I quoted someone who said that Royal tells people they only need their Seapass, that it's like being on the ship. That is blatantly false -- Royal tells people to bring cash if they would like to purchase from the straw market.

I was ONLY referring to the false statement that was made which I quoted and bolded.

You say "obviously" you'd need cash for the straw market, but that's NOT obvious to people who have never been there before, particularly if they see FALSE statements online about how you only need to take your Seapass to Labadee b/c "it's just like being on the ship". That is why I quoted/bolded that particular line and corrected the falsehood.

:rolleyes:

By that logic wouldn't even less people be bringing cash with them knowing it is Royal's private stop and just assume the Seapass does it all?

I'm the guy sticking to the thread topic. you're the other guy.

Wow, now I know where your post count comes from... you just like to see yourself type, even if it has nothing to do with the person you're quoting. :rolleyes:

Are you going to go back and get pissy with everyone else who didn't ONLY discuss chairs and tips, too?

Watch out, we got the "stay on topic" police here, folks! :D

By that logic wouldn't even less people be bringing cash with them knowing it is Royal's private stop and just assume the Seapass does it all?

Hence my pointing out that Royal specifically tells people that they need to bring cash if they want to make any purchases.... that the statement made here about Royal telling people "that all they need is their seapass card" was completely and totally false.

Wow, now I know where your post count comes from... you just like to see yourself type, even if it has nothing to do with the person you're quoting. :rolleyes:

Are you going to go back and get pissy with everyone else who didn't ONLY discuss chairs and tips, too?

Watch out, we got the "stay on topic" police here, folks! :D

The only one here pissy is you. Read your posts this evening. you are throwing a tantrum of the first order. Maybe it is past your bed time.

Hence my pointing out that Royal specifically tells people that they need to bring cash if they want to make any purchases.... that the statement made here about Royal telling people "that all they need is their seapass card" was completely and totally false.

I suggest the next time you are on a ship that calls at Labadee that you go to the port talks held in the theater. They will absolutely tell you that you only need a Seapass. So no, not completely and totally false. take a deep breath. it will all be okay...