Children on Board

SS Exeter

Captain Albert reporting from the Westerdam said that there are so many children aboard they had to expand the childrens program, Club HAL into two conference rooms and the Disco. I know it is Thanksgiving and so lots of kids aboard - but just thought that those of you concerned about age on Holland America should know there are all ages aboard.

That's been our experience on the Westerdam as well. I suppose the one week cruises get a younger group than the longer cruises - but it is nice to know (after some of the age bashing you read here) that HAL's passengers are from a large range of people. :)

Thank you for the information.

We were on the Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam over Thanksgiving. Mobbed with children.

So we stopped cruising during Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Same here - also try to avoid summer vacation times and Spring Break.

We just got off the Eurodam the 15th of November and we had 30 kids on board said cruise director Sarah. I bet alot had to do with them still in school, it was really NICE, and the ones we did see it was rare. It is also nice Holland makes a certain pool area for adults only.

Our kids love Club HAL because there are rarely more than 8-10 kids onboard when we sail. We were on the Westerdam last month and there were 60 kids! For the first time ever my eight year old opted out of Club HAL a few evenings because he said the first night was so crazy. I can't imagine 300 kids!

We decided we will be sticking to longer cruises in the future.

We took an Alaska cruise on Aug 22 2014 and were prepared that there would be more kids.

Actually we found that there were not as many as we had anticipated - I would guess maybe 20-30. I think the very last cruise of summer would have had more.

The most kids I have ever seen on a cruise was a Norwegian Cruise Line Mexican Riviera cruise. This cruise was taken while school was in session too. I think NCL appeals to families with kids - no formal dress and eat when you want. There were kids everywhere - they took over the pools, they ran up and down the corridors and banged on doors. This was also the cruise that I caught the noro-virus. I am sure it was from one of these kids who was touching food in the buffet.

I love kids, but I prefer that they are in reduced numbers and under control while on a cruise.

Just to be balanced - kids pay the same price as adults when they have their own stateroom - on that basis, shouldn't they be able to enjoy all areas of the ship - why have an adults only pool?

Consequently there is an area of the ship were adults can't go, only teens if I'm not mistaken. Why can't adults go there? We paid our fare:D;);). I'm curious how young children can have their own cabin.

I'm not around a lot of kids so I don't like a ton of noise. I also avoid thanksgiving. I don't see why anyone should be offended if adults choose a cruise when there may be less kids.

Edited by cruz chic

The children of today are the adults of tomorrow. We should welcome them to HAL.

I agree - especially for an aging line hoping to recruit new cruisers. We are only sailing HAL because my daughter enjoyed her Alaskan cruise when she was 9. I wasn't there but she says the club was a blast. I love the sounds of kids squealing with delight, and to watch them play with wild abandon. Unchecked kids are a pain in the butt anywhere - but so are some adults! I often feel discouraged after reading some threads that we picked HAL because I want my daughter to be as welcome as the next paying guest. I take comfort from the fact that there will be a place for her to go and hang with her peers when the snarling aged get to be too much...

I agree - especially for an aging line hoping to recruit new cruisers. We are only sailing HAL because my daughter enjoyed her Alaskan cruise when she was 9. I wasn't there but she says the club was a blast. I love the sounds of kids squealing with delight, and to watch them play with wild abandon. Unchecked kids are a pain in the butt anywhere - but so are some adults! I often feel discouraged after reading some threads that we picked HAL because I want my daughter to be as welcome as the next paying guest. I take comfort from the fact that there will be a place for her to go and hang with her peers when the snarling aged get to be too much...

Please don't worry. Club HAL is magnificent and your DD will be very welcome. Some people snarl at everyone :rolleyes: ;) and do not discriminate on age! They are, in our experience, more often seen on embarkation day when everyone is well ready to start their vacation and are feeling the effects of travel. The only other time I have noticed is when the children are occupying a seat the other person feels should be occupied by them.

You will notice covert glances, smiles and a look of nostalgia when children are respectful, well behaved and enjoying themselves.

Enjoy your cruise.

Our kids love Club HAL because there are rarely more than 8-10 kids onboard when we sail. We were on the Westerdam last month and there were 60 kids! For the first time ever my eight year old opted out of Club HAL a few evenings because he said the first night was so crazy. I can't imagine 300 kids!

We decided we will be sticking to longer cruises in the future.

My first cruise had 1600 kids!!! (NCL Breakaway out of NYC during the President's week holidays)

Edited by denatravels