New England /Canada cruises

Joey222

There are one ways (Quebec to NYC or vice versa) or Round Trip NYC and then there is usually a Quebec to FLL trip at the very end.

You may want to look at the itineraries to see which interest you. Also figure out if you want to fly into or out of Quebec or Montreal or just do RT NYC.

These are great ports and there is a ton to do in many of them. Decisions, decisions.

I have done the cruise 2x and it is very difficult to try to guess the right time for fall colors.

Edited by Coral

If you have the time I would highly recommend the longer one way trip (NYC to Quebec or vice versa). We did this trip and it was wonderful. We didn't really feel that we would have gotten to see as much of Canada as we would have liked on the 7 day round trip (only two ports--Saint John and Halifax). As far as timing, it is hard to time the fall colors and the later in the season you go the colder the weather will be.

We did one a few years ago. in conjunction with a pre cruise land tour. We ended up in NY because we knew the terminal would be a zoo for passengers to board. We enjoyed both the land portion and the cruise itself. Also we could do laundry on the ship after the land tour

Here is the link to our trip storyhttp://stevekathytravels.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/canada2011.pdf

We are happy to answer any questions.

Edited by Talisker92

I took this trip this fall, we boarded the Caribbean Princess on October 1st in Quebec City following the 5 day land tour that started in Toronto. We are from Oregon and had not ever been to the east coast of Canada before. It was a super trip for us.

The Caribbean Princess is every bit as nice as any of the other Princess ships I have cruised on. I guess I have been on 4 of them.

We were too early for much fall color, but that is not what we went to see. Loved the trip.

We have been on the Caribbean Princess 3 times and feel she is just as lovely as our first time. In 2012 we did the r/t trip Cananda/New England and it was gorgeous. While colors may not have been optimal being from California it was more than we get. We were going to do the Quebec to NY in 2016 but heard that in 2017 they will be doing the same route they did this year which is more Canadian ports. In 2016 the 10 day is Quebec, Sydney, Corner Brook, Halifax and St John then Bar Harbor, Boston and Newport. but in 2017 they are bringing back the smaller ports of Port Saguenay and Gaspe and Charlottetown along with Sydney, Halifax, St John and then I believe Bar Harbor and Boston. So it depends on what you want to see more. More Canadian ports I would do the 11 day one in October 2017 which will open soon to book or if short on time the 7day is a great one to introduce some of the ports.

We've done the NE/Canada 3 times and will do it again this September. We've done it twice during the summer and once for the autumn leaves. This year we will be on the 7 day bus tour of Colonial America and then hop on the Regal in New York for a 7 day cruise. Then I'll be able to see Broadway shows when we disembark and stay in NYC for two days.

We've been to all the ports on this cruise, but we love it. Do you have specific questions?

We sailed HAL's Maasdam, summer after summer, b-to-b, Boston to Montreal to Boston and never tired of it. The ports are fabulous and we always considered those 14 days aboard wonderful.

I don't know your ports but we particularly enjoyed Bar Harbor, Halifax, Charlottetown (PEI), Quebec City and Montreal. At least three or four times, HAL offered a seven day Boston to Boston cruise that sometimes included Newport, Martha's Vineyard or Portland and those were terrific ports.

We haven't done it yet, but are planning to book the Crown Princess [new this year, in place of Caribbean Princess] 11-night sailing on Oct. 4, 2017 from Quebec to NY. Why? Because it includes Port Saguenay & Gaspe, Quebec; and Saint John, New Brunswick. Every cruise line offers similar cruises in this area, but these ports are hard to find. If you have never been to Bar Harbor, that is another great stop [we spend 2 weeks there every summer, so ...]. But apparently one should also temper one's enthusiasm for any particular port because rough seas/fog/tides can play havoc on this itinerary more than most. [We have been in Bar Harbor a couple of times when a cruise ship was allegedly moored in the tender spot, but the fog was so thick that you couldn't even see the ship from shore -- and needless to say they weren't tendering in!]

We haven't done it yet, but are planning to book the Crown Princess [new this year, in place of Caribbean Princess] 11-night sailing on Oct. 4, 2017 from Quebec to NY. Why? Because it includes Port Saguenay & Gaspe, Quebec; and Saint John, New Brunswick. Every cruise line offers similar cruises in this area, but these ports are hard to find. If you have never been to Bar Harbor, that is another great stop [we spend 2 weeks there every summer, so ...]. But apparently one should also temper one's enthusiasm for any particular port because rough seas/fog/tides can play havoc on this itinerary more than most. [We have been in Bar Harbor a couple of times when a cruise ship was allegedly moored in the tender spot, but the fog was so thick that you couldn't even see the ship from shore -- and needless to say they weren't tendering in!]

We will be with you as we are booking this one as soon as it opens as well. We originally were going next year and were a bit disappointed that they changed the 2016 itinerary, then just as I was getting set to book flights I saw a post that the 2017 itinerary was bringing those lovely ports you mentioned back. So I called the TA and he said yup I can switch all my FCC and monies to the new one so once it opens he will do that for us...YEAH! Hope to see you on the roll call and the ship:D

When HAL's Maasdam does the 7 day Boston to Montreal or the reverse, she always stops in Sydney.

When Veendam or Maasdam does the 7 day Boston to Boston, she goes to Saint John.

Years ago, the sea day used to take us down Saguenay Fjord and past the Madonna statue but they stopped going into the Fjord a while ago. Each time we got to the statue, they played the Ave Maria on the speaker system and it was an amazing experience. Every time we visited it, we saw it in a different light.... literally. :) Beautiful.

We haven't done it yet, but are planning to book the Crown Princess [new this year, in place of Caribbean Princess] 11-night sailing on Oct. 4, 2017 from Quebec to NY. Why? Because it includes Port Saguenay & Gaspe, Quebec; and Saint John, New Brunswick.

We are also waiting to book the Oct 4, 2017 cruise. Supposedly, it will be available to book this week. :)

We are also waiting to book the Oct 4, 2017 cruise. Supposedly, it will be available to book this week. :)

Yup supposed to be open to book Thursday 12/3 8am PST. If at first you get someone that says not yet...call back. Last time I called in about 10 till thinking I would be on hold and a gal booked it I was off the phone with confirm # by 8! Hope they are still using the Chateau Frontenac for the hotel.

Hope to see you on the roll call and cruise as well!

Edited by cruzrbachoua

Yup supposed to be open to book Thursday 12/3 8am PST. If at first you get someone that says not yet...call back. Last time I called in about 10 till thinking I would be on hold and a gal booked it I was off the phone with confirm # by 8! Hope they are still using the Chateau Frontenac for the hotel.

Hope to see you on the roll call and cruise as well!

We use a TA we have used since 2004. She'll take good care of us, I'm sure.

And don't worry - I'll be on the roll call constantly :eek:

We are considering a New England /Canadian cruise with the Princess cruise line. We would appreciate any input from others that have done a New England/Canadian cruise.

Thanks!!

My wife and I did the NE/Canada one that started/ended in NY and really enjoyed it. If you go, we highly recommend the Lulu Lobster Boat excursion in Bar Harbor, ME. Cap't John has forgotten more about lobsters than most people ever know and presents his info in a very entertaining manner.

Tom

We use a TA we have used since 2004. She'll take good care of us, I'm sure.

And don't worry - I'll be on the roll call constantly :eek:

We have a TA that we have had since 2007 and love him..but I am up and at work before him and he comes in after princess opens and I want a specific cabin so I just call tell what I want put it on hold then tell him and when he comes in he finishes it and adds his finesse :D. Looking forward to chatting on the roll call. ..did you read the live thread for thecruise this year that did this route?

Edited by cruzrbachoua

We have a TA that we have had since 2007 and love him..but I am up and at work before him and he comes in after princess opens and I want a specific cabin so I just call tell what I want put it on hold then tell him and when he comes in he finishes it and adds his finesse :D. Looking forward to chatting on the roll call. ..did you read the live thread for thecruise this year that did this route?

That sounds like a very good idea. I may just do that on the 3rd.

Edit: No, I didn't see that cruise. Guess I'll do some searching. Was it on the Caribbean Princess?

Edited by MGnut

Yes it was on the CB . It is called semi live from cb oct 1 2015. We had friends on it. .they do the b2b every year. .tried to copy and paste the link but don't know how to do it on the phone

Here's the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2265294