How much would it cost a new cruiser to reach Zenith?

BrendaJ

For my own amusement, I decided to see if I could find out what the minimum spend would be for a new cruiser to reach Zenith. I based my estimates on the absolute lowest price per night per person I could find for each cabin type. These are rock-bottom last minute and/or unpopular itinerary prices, for the most part. Here's what I came up with:

Inside/ocean view - $56 per night for 1,500 nights - $84,000

Verandah - $80 per night for 1,000 nights - $80,000

Concierge/Aqua - $142 per night for 600 nights - $85,200

Sky Suite - $192 per night for 375 nights - $72,000

Celebrity/Signature/Royal - $353 per night for 250 nights - $88,250

Reflection or Penthouse - $614 per night for 167 nights - $102,333

Those are per person, before tax, based on the absolute lowest prices per night I could find doing arbitrary searches for the cheapest cabins. Someone would be very hard pressed to find a lot of cruises at those low per-night prices.

It boggles my mind that a new verandah cruiser would have to spend over two years at sea to reach Zenith. :eek:

Interesting.... As early 40 somethings and 70 nights in I'd say it's a little while off... But I like a challenge so bring it on... [emoji16] we do have another 43 nights booked up over the next 18 months so that will be a 1/5th of the way roughly!! [emoji15]

This is very interesting. I am quite surprised that booking a sky suite is the most economical way to achieve this. We mostly book verandahs or AQ. Even though we are 1/3 of the way there, I don't think we will make it.

For my own amusement, I decided to see if I could find out what the minimum spend would be for a new cruiser to reach Zenith. I based my estimates on the absolute lowest price per night per person I could find for each cabin.

Those are per person, before tax, based on the absolute lowest prices per night I could find doing arbitrary searches for the cheapest cabins. Someone would be very hard pressed to find a lot of cruises at those low per-night prices.

It boggles my mind that a new verandah cruiser would have to spend over two years at sea to reach Zenith. :eek:

If you can find a verandah cabin at those prices you can be my travel agent for the next 1000 nights.

Typical prices for most itineraries are at least double that.... A 1,000 nights at 150 to 200 per night might even be low for the trips I want to book.

My guess would be closer to a quarter million per person including fees taxes and travel costs.

If you can find a verandah cabin at those prices you can be my travel agent for the next 1000 nights.

Typical prices for most itineraries are at least double that.... A 1,000 nights at 150 to 200 per night might even be low for the trips I want to book.

My guess would be closer to a quarter million per person including fees taxes and travel costs.

You are absolutely right - I looked for the absolute lowest price per day I could find on any itinerary on any ship; there would be no way to get those types of prices on a regular basis. I'm guessing most regular prices are at least double what I listed.

This is very interesting. I am quite surprised that booking a sky suite is the most economical way to achieve this. We mostly book verandahs or AQ. Even though we are 1/3 of the way there, I don't think we will make it.

It depends on the itinerary. European cruises are quite a lot more per night in a Sky Suite.

I believe that your estimates are on the low side. However, the conclusion that a Sky Suite is the most cost effective way to get points is correct in most cases. There are times when higher Suites might actually cost less per point. I know many current Zeniths who booked Suites for the points and then switched to balconies or lower. Several close to Zenith are now booking Celebrity Suites or higher. Naturally some continue to book top Suites once they become Zenith, but they are the exception. I known a few Zeniths who now book Inside or Oceanview cabins since they get the Suite bathroom amenities, substantial internet time, Michael's Club access, unlimited laundry and dry cleaning and a Premium Drink package no matter what cabin category they book. I was close to 60 when I booked my first Celebrity cruise and made Zenith by 70. There is real hope for the under 60 crowd. Think of all the fun you'll have getting there. The journey is the fun. The level is just a bonus. Good luck!

I believe that your estimates are on the low side. However, the conclusion that a Sky Suite is the most cost effective way to get points is correct in most cases. There are times when higher Suites might actually cost less per point. I know many current Zeniths who booked Suites for the points and then switched to balconies or lower. Several close to Zenith are now booking Celebrity Suites or higher. Naturally some continue to book top Suites once they become Zenith, but they are the exception. I known a few Zeniths who now book Inside or Oceanview cabins since they get the Suite bathroom amenities, substantial internet time, Michael's Club access, unlimited laundry and dry cleaning and a Premium Drink package no matter what cabin category they book. I was close to 60 when I booked my first Celebrity cruise and made Zenith by 70. There is real hope for the under 60 crowd. Think of all the fun you'll have getting there. The journey is the fun. The level is just a bonus. Good luck!

We started in late 2012 with our first Celebrity cruise. Our last in September was our 10th and we at 935 just now. With what we have booked just now we will be over 1500 by March 17, provided I can earn the cash to pay for it. I turned 60 this year and I suspect that, if health holds up, I would get to 3000 before I am late 60s.

While I am working we vent do more than 5 weeks a year cruising.

I should say that we like the extra space and as long as there are 2 of us cruising we would probably use the Sky suites.

Edited by Gordoncruickshank

The OPs numbers don't consider that a single may pay up to 200% to cruise as a single. Most Zeniths are or were married when they made Zenith, thus they paid for 2 people so the amounts shown by the OP would need to be doubled.

Many started to cruise on Celebrity before there was a loyalty program of any type. I remember paying $50 to enroll in the loyalty program. It's natural for people to be cruising for points as they get closer to a higher level,. Loyalty perks isn't the primary reason that most I know are loyal to Celebrity.

Edited by Orator

Sometimes they through bonus points out, I am supposed to get 40 additional points for my up coming cruise in 2 weeks. I made this arrangement last year after I booked the cruise. Discovered this special here on Cruise critic.

For my own amusement, I decided to see if I could find out what the minimum spend would be for a new cruiser to reach Zenith. :eek:

Ms. Brenda,

Obviously, you have too much time on your hands. But, thanks for posting this. :)

I made similar calculations a while ago, then decided, I couldn't put a price on it, it would make me mad (not angry, but go crazy). We earned 1500 points in 3 years (we'll, we will by the end of this year) and I fear adding it up, so I don't. We'll not do the other 1500 points quite as fast, or at all. We've been sailing in upper level suites, because we like the space, and since we'd get similar benefits from being in a suite anyway, or on other lines AND Celebrity keeps removing the perks anyway (in terms of suites, not Zenith), why not just cruise the best itinerary on the newest, coolest ship, or best deal or whatever, be that Celebrity or otherwise? Before the Sky Suites received Michael's Club access anyway, I thought that might be the best deal, reach Zenith than convince my other half to "drop down" to a Sky Suite so we get Luminae and MC but now we'd get it away, so no need to worry about Zenith at all for us.

We can twist the thinking to justify whatever we want :D

Happy sailing,

Jenna

you actually found a Penthouse suite for 614/night? what was the itinerary?

You are absolutely right - I looked for the absolute lowest price per day I could find on any itinerary on any ship; there would be no way to get those types of prices on a regular basis. I'm guessing most regular prices are at least double what I listed.

I think your prices are a little low. For example, you show a Sky Suite at $192/night. That would mean a 7-night cruise for a couple should have a total spend of $192x14 or $2,688. Remember, total spend includes getting to and from the port or parking/taxi if you live near the port and it should also include some kind of travel insurance. If I could find a 1-week cruise for my wife and I in a Sky Suite for a total spend of $2,688, I would grab it. However, even though I live only 30 miles from Port Everglades, I cannot find one. Even a 5-night cruise out of Port Everglades costs at least $2,600 in a Sky Suite without insurance (plus parking or taxi) and that is $260/person/night. I find that in total (including parking, Cruise Care and extra gratuities), I usually spend at least $300/person/night for an S2.

Your prices are WAY low. I am almost 2X Zenith and now sail primarily in Inside cabins. In order to sail for $100 per person per day I have to wait till Celebrity drops the price after the final payment date. Normal prices (at least incl port fees and taxes) are now over $100 pp/pd. I have looked at Sky Suites for Luminae access but they are ALWAYS at least $300 pp/pd. I refuse to spend 3X just for Luminae.

Don't forget that if you sail single you will have to pay 2X but will also get 2X the points:)

Like I said, I listed the absolutely lowest price out there that I could find for any sailing on any ship and am well aware those prices are just about impossible to find. There is a website which shows cabins that have been discounted and you can filter by cabin type - you can "fish" for the best price for the type of cabin you want. If you do a little hunting for particular cabin types on that site, you can find some pretty decent deals, generally last minute, and often guarantee cabins. It's the only site I've seen which allows you to see actual suite types rather than just a simple category for suites.

Edited by BrendaJ
site name was blocked

....why not just cruise the best itinerary on the newest, coolest ship, or best deal or whatever, be that Celebrity or otherwise? ....

Exactly, the goalposts are forever changing. No point being blindly loyal

Like I said, I listed the absolutely lowest price out there that I could find for any sailing on any ship and am well aware those prices are just about impossible to find. There is a website which shows cabins that have been discounted and you can filter by cabin type - you can "fish" for the best price for the type of cabin you want. If you do a little hunting for particular cabin types on that site, you can find some pretty decent deals, generally last minute, and often guarantee cabins. It's the only site I've seen which allows you to see actual suite types rather than just a simple category for suites.

Brenda,

Thanks for your interesting post. You were very clear about how you arrived at your conclusions. I completely understand that it will cost me a lot more to reach Zenith. I'm elite + now and don't expect to reach Zenith. I'm now cruising more with other lines.

Cynthia

Your prices are WAY low. In order to sail for $100 per person per day I have to wait till Celebrity drops the price after the final payment date. Normal prices (at least incl port fees and taxes) are now over $100 pp/pd.

Like I said, I listed the absolutely lowest price out there that I could find for any sailing on any ship and am well aware those prices are just about impossible to find.

Being at the right place at the right time sure helped, but so did some shrewd shopping as I managed to make "Elite" on Celebrity with only FIVE incredibly low priced cruises.

14 night Panama Canal on Infinity for $799pp

15 night transatlantic on Solstice for $599pp

15 night transatlantic on Constellation for $609pp

15 night transatlantic on Silhouette for $599pp

15 night transatlantic on Reflection for $449pp

A total expenditure of $3055pp. (taxes and tips not included but neither was $1,500 worth of OBC)

Just need to repeat that a few more times! (not likely these days with higher prices and more expensive point accumulation rates)

Although the next 30 points on Infinity this weekend will only cost $856pp...

Edited by teecee60

Being at the right place at the right time sure helped, but so did some shrewd shopping as I managed to make "Elite" on Celebrity with only FIVE incredibly low priced cruises.

14 night Panama Canal on Infinity for $799pp

15 night transatlantic on Solstice for $599pp

15 night transatlantic on Constellation for $609pp

15 night transatlantic on Silhouette for $599pp

15 night transatlantic on Reflection for $449pp

A total expenditure of $3055pp. (taxes and tips not included but neither was $1,500 worth of OBC)

Just need to repeat that a few more times! (not likely these days with higher prices and more expensive point accumulation rates)

Although the next 30 points on Infinity this weekend will only cost $856pp...

Cost of airfare for these cruises?

Hotel costs or do you fly in the day of the cruise?

Transfers from airport to cruise terminal?

You could easily be doubling your cost basis.

Elite is still fairly simple. But if you stay in an Inside or OV it will take more time and money. Sky Suite Guarantees are probably the most cost effective way to move up.