Hover boards on deck

MotherofTrips

YOU are rude!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't mean to be. The idea of these things on a ship just made me angry. I know the OP only meant for her kids to use them at a port which would be OK but I don't even want to encourage the behavior. They have already made these things illegal in some cities, including NY. They can be very dangerous to the rider and others. I apologize if I offended anyone however. I'm getting grumpy in my old age I guess.

Edited by bobg529

Think about jumping up in a jet airliner aisle doing 500 mph. Do you really think you will not land in the same spot you jumped from?

You actually won't land in the same spot....it will only seem like you did. :p

If you jump up and land in 1 second, your landing spot will be over 700 feet from where you jumped but since the plane also moved over 700 feet, you won't notice.

I surely hope not. Back when the roller skate shoes things were all the rage, I can't tell you how many chins and heads I had to stitch up from those dumb things!

I think those things were called "HEELIES" with a set of small wheels in the

heels of shoes. You could walk on the soles (toe end) of the shoe but leaning

back on the heel the small imbedded wheels would come into play and off

you could go balancing on your heels. Lean all the way back and engage the

back of the heel to stop. Lean forward and come to a crashing stop just like

engaging only the front wheel brake on a bicycle.

The Hover Boards do not hover like the air cushioned hover-craft but are

just like the Segway devices with wheels on the ground - lacking the control stalk to grab with the hands.

Google - Heelies - Segway - Hover Boards for illustrations

To the OP, I hope your daughter either has or you have bought her a helmet with face protection. That's extremely important if you are riding a HoverBoard as the #1 type of injury associated with these are large facial injuries from riders falling forward off the HoverBoard - usually as a result of crashing into something because HoverBoards are not as maneuverable as you expect. I sincerely hope that never happens to your daughter. It would also be sensible to make sure your travel insurance will cover an accident on a HoverBoard just in case. The other thing...check with each country you will be visiting to make sure that riding HoverBoards is legal there AND be really careful about where you allow your daughter to ride the HoverBoard off of the ship. Remember that this is a very popular new item - it's the #1 Christmas gift in the US this year and thieves may see the HoverBoard as something valuable to steal whether your daughter is riding it at the time or not. Some idiot might push her off the overboard and take it. The other thing is that it may attract a lot of attention to you daughter as people may be constantly asking her about her HoverBoard. In regards to legality, they are illegal in the UK - so then would they be also be illegal on the BVI? They are also illegal in New York, Canada, Hong Kong abd parts of Australia except on your own property. So think carefully before your bring this item along on your cruise.

I don't mean to be. The idea of these things on a ship just made me angry. I know the OP only meant for her kids to use them at a port which would be OK but I don't even want to encourage the behavior. They have already made these things illegal in some cities, including NY. They can be very dangerous to the rider and others. I apologize if I offended anyone however. I'm getting grumpy in my old age I guess.

Actually, the OP asked if kids were riding them on the ship, no mention of in port.

Ships are much to crowded to have kids riding hover boards and possibly falling into and hurting someone else besides themselves. The news has been showing how dangerous they are and some catching fire, so I don't understand why parents would even buy them. Not sure about in ports and that could be congested as well. Leave the hover boards home; there is plenty to entertain kids on board and in ports.

The op has only posted once, it was me referring to my daughter riding it in port. I was specifically thinking about the likes of Malaga, you have a very long promenade with plenty of room for both pedestrians and cyclist/scooters/hoverboards etc

My friend is on the escape this week and he plans on bringing 3 onboard to use for him and his sons. I advised against it but he's pretty stubborn. So I guess we will see a new policy change soon!

And hopefully he has enough "Common Sense" to not try to utilize them onboard.

To the OP, I hope your daughter either has or you have bought her a helmet with face protection. That's extremely important if you are riding a HoverBoard as the #1 type of injury associated with these are large facial injuries from riders falling forward off the HoverBoard - usually as a result of crashing into something because HoverBoards are not as maneuverable as you expect. I sincerely hope that never happens to your daughter. It would also be sensible to make sure your travel insurance will cover an accident on a HoverBoard just in case. The other thing...check with each country you will be visiting to make sure that riding HoverBoards is legal there AND be really careful about where you allow your daughter to ride the HoverBoard off of the ship. Remember that this is a very popular new item - it's the #1 Christmas gift in the US this year and thieves may see the HoverBoard as something valuable to steal whether your daughter is riding it at the time or not. Some idiot might push her off the overboard and take it. The other thing is that it may attract a lot of attention to you daughter as people may be constantly asking her about her HoverBoard. In regards to legality, they are illegal in the UK - so then would they be also be illegal on the BVI? They are also illegal in New York, Canada, Hong Kong abd parts of Australia except on your own property. So think carefully before your bring this item along on your cruise.

Thanks for your concern. Actually I was just asking out of curiosity. My son is getting one for Christmas but I wouldn't allow him to bring it on the cruise. I was just wondering if kids have been doing this. I saw some on the NJ boardwalk this past summer. I also remember when heelys came out and they were banned from using in stores. I am still contemplating whether or not to rent a scooter for my 80 year old mom because I could see how the scooter could cause problems in narrow hallways.... Lol

A scooter for mobility and a child's toy aren't in the same ballpark at all...if mom needs the scooter don't leave it behind on account of a narrow hallway. The thing can be managed.

I know there isn't a comparison. My mother would definitely benefit by me renting a scooter to get around longer distances (bad knees, asthma and lung CA) but I have a lot of concerns about it having to be kept in the room as the balcony room is kind of small/narrow and I am afraid she'll be tripping over it). We wanted adjoining rooms for a few reasons and the handicap rooms are not connecting

Edited by MotherofTrips

I know there isn't a comparison. My mother would definitely benefit by me renting a scooter to get around longer distances (bad knees, asthma and lung CA) but I have a lot of concerns about it having to be kept in the room as the balcony room is kind of small/narrow and I am afraid she'll be tripping over it). We wanted adjoining rooms for a few reasons and the handicap rooms are not connecting

The scooter can be left in the hall. Should be no problem, and you can have assistance in re-charging it.

"Hoverboards on the other hand, are the responsibility of the owners or their parents, who should make sure they have a tremendous amount of personal INSURANCE.

They do NOT belong on a SHIP with very busy crew members, and other passengers of all ages.

Period

The scooter can be left in the hall. Should be no problem, and you can have assistance in re-charging it.

"Hoverboards on the other hand, are the responsibility of the owners or their parents, who should make sure they have a tremendous amount of personal INSURANCE.

They do NOT belong on a SHIP with very busy crew members, and other passengers of all ages.

Period

I was told they can't be left in the hall. Have you seen this done? And for the record, I agree Hoverboards don't belong on the ship, I was just asking if anyone has seen them on the ship

I was told they can't be left in the hall. Have you seen this done? And for the record, I agree Hoverboards don't belong on the ship, I was just asking if anyone has seen them on the ship

Yes, I have seen small scooters in the hall overnight. Cruise lines do everything they possibly can, to assist anyone who is handicapped.

I don't know if NCL says they shouldn't be left in the hall since I don't have elderly or disabled family who use them and therefore have never looked into the policy regarding that. What I have seen, many, many times is them parked up outside rooms. On the most recent cruise I went on to get from the elevators to our room usually involved passing 2 parked mobility scooters, 2 kids strollers one of which was a double extra large thing and 3 rooms that always seemed to have plates outside the door. It was good the night the ship was moving and I had a little more to drink than usual. I was like a pinball bouncing off walls and into things. So whilst I think there probably is a policy somewhere about parking scooters and strollers it is neither enforced nor does anyone abide by it. If your mother will benefit from having a mobility scooter you should get her one.