Hover boards on deck

MotherofTrips

[emoji23] this really made me lol! The visual of bouncing off walls to avoid scooters and strollers after drinking [emoji33][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I did hear that they will take it to another location to charge it for you.... I will see if this can be done overnight so that when my mom gets up during the night to use bathroom she won't trip over it

Near the elevators there is a wider area that has enough space for scooters to be charged. They can not bee left outside your cabin by your door unless you have a bump out space but generally not enough space in the hallways close to the rooms.

My guess is by Jan 15th we will have a hooverboard rule.

Thanks for your concern. Actually I was just asking out of curiosity. My son is getting one for Christmas but I wouldn't allow him to bring it on the cruise. I was just wondering if kids have been doing this. I saw some on the NJ boardwalk this past summer. I also remember when heelys came out and they were banned from using in stores. I am still contemplating whether or not to rent a scooter for my 80 year old mom because I could see how the scooter could cause problems in narrow hallways.... Lol

If you decide to rent the scooter for your mom, then also check with the cruise line about what amount of insurance you must have - I'm sure the rental company will provide insurance or know who you should go to to get it. I know one line - I think it is Celebrity??? - requires a $500,000 insurance policy to bring a scooter onboard - and yes I'm talking about one of those mobility scooters, not a motorbike. LOL! I was surprised about that insurance requirement, but found out those scooters can cause major injuries if the person driving it runs into you. I checked into scooters a few years back as I have elderly parents and was contemplating taking them on a cruise and thought renting scooters would help them. But I put dad on a scooter at Target recently and he nearly ran me down when I was standing in line to checkout. Lucky I saw him coming at the last minute and was able to move quick enough it only rammed the side of the check out counter between my legs and then pinned me from the hips down with the attached shopping basket - YIKES! Luckily I was not hurt but it did upset dad (he's 91) - he just got mixed up about the controls and hit the gas instead of braking since it was his first time on one. So now I understand how dangerous those things can be!

I've been on 4 Caribbean cruises this year - NCL, RCCL and Carnival and I have not seen any kids with hover boards on the ship or off of the ship so far. I don't know if the kids are just not bringing them or if they are not allowed to bring/use them or if it is just that they were not in wide enough distribution yet. I cruised in March, May, July and October. You might also want to check with your homeowner's insurance about the use of a hover board on your property. What happens if your son lets his buddy use the hover board and the buddy falls and winds up needing plastic surgery? Which leads me to another thought about the agreement you might want to make with your son in regards to his hoverboard. At any rate, I don't want to worry you about all this, but it is better to know than not know and be prepared for whatever situation might come your way, than have it happen and ONLY THEN find out bad news that might be a huge problem to you.

BTW, if you son likes hover boards, I bet he would love fly boarding! That's very popular in the Caribbean and Mexican ports these days. Check this out:

I don't know if NCL says they shouldn't be left in the hall since I don't have elderly or disabled family who use them and therefore have never looked into the policy regarding that. What I have seen, many, many times is them parked up outside rooms. On the most recent cruise I went on to get from the elevators to our room usually involved passing 2 parked mobility scooters, 2 kids strollers one of which was a double extra large thing and 3 rooms that always seemed to have plates outside the door. It was good the night the ship was moving and I had a little more to drink than usual. I was like a pinball bouncing off walls and into things. So whilst I think there probably is a policy somewhere about parking scooters and strollers it is neither enforced nor does anyone abide by it. If your mother will benefit from having a mobility scooter you should get her one.

Scooters are not allowed to be left in hallways and I've never seen strollers left outside of cabins either. I believe this is considered a safety hazard and hope the cruise lines enforce it.

Edited by psupa

[emoji23] this really made me lol! The visual of bouncing off walls to avoid scooters and strollers after drinking [emoji33][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I was wondering if the security staff were sitting somewhere in the bowels of the ship laughing their heads off. I did notice a few of them in the days following go out of their way to give me a big grin and ask me how my day was.

Scooters are not allowed to be left in hallways and I've never seen strollers left outside of cabins either. I believe this is considered a safety hazard and hope the cruise lines enforce it.

Aren't you the lucky one! I am so used to seeing it on so many of the cruises I have been on I thought it was the norm. My last cruise was 14 nights so you would think after a few days some reminders would have been issued to the rooms concerned and then some enforcement of those who still did not comply. I agree that they are a health and safety hazard especially to those not steady on their feet.

The cabin with the double stroller was an inside with 2 adults a 2 small children so I think space was at a premium for them. By day 3 I had learned to make a wide turn into that passageway. Otherwise my left foot would be on a plate of half eaten don't know what and I would slide straight into their neighbours stroller.

How things should be and policies are all well and good but there are so many that are not adhered to or enforced. That is my experience.

I have noticed a couple of these in downtown Dallas recently. A guy in my building has one and he seems very proficient in handling it. However I recently saw someone that must be a rookie… he came flying off his and almost knocked people to the ground. That would not be cool on a crowded deck on a cruise ship.

If you decide to rent the scooter for your mom, then also check with the cruise line about what amount of insurance you must have - I'm sure the rental company will provide insurance or know who you should go to to get it. I know one line - I think it is Celebrity??? - requires a $500,000 insurance policy to bring a scooter onboard - and yes I'm talking about one of those mobility scooters, not a motorbike. LOL! I was surprised about that insurance requirement, but found out those scooters can cause major injuries if the person driving it runs into you.

I would like to know if it's a requirement to have insurance when renting or bringing your own scooter on a ship. I'm sure those of you who have rented them can tell us.

Aren't you the lucky one! I am so used to seeing it on so many of the cruises I have been on I thought it was the norm. My last cruise was 14 nights so you would think after a few days some reminders would have been issued to the rooms concerned and then some enforcement of those who still did not comply. I agree that they are a health and safety hazard especially to those not steady on their feet.

The cabin with the double stroller was an inside with 2 adults a 2 small children so I think space was at a premium for them. By day 3 I had learned to make a wide turn into that passageway. Otherwise my left foot would be on a plate of half eaten don't know what and I would slide straight into their neighbours stroller.

How things should be and policies are all well and good but there are so many that are not adhered to or enforced. That is my experience.

I would go to guest services and report it, especially if this was every day. That's no place for scooters or strollers. At least strollers can be folded up. People have to get through there and you're right some not too steady on their feet would have a problem. My husband has a mobility issue and uses a rollator walker.

If you decide to rent the scooter for your mom, then also check with the cruise line about what amount of insurance you must have - I'm sure the rental company will provide insurance or know who you should go to to get it. I know one line - I think it is Celebrity??? - requires a $500,000 insurance policy to bring a scooter onboard - and yes I'm talking about one of those mobility scooters, not a motorbike.

Maybe the insurance policy is just if you rent a scooter. My sister has her own scooter and we've been on Celebrity, Royal, and NCL with it. We are always in an accessible cabin and we have never been asked to provide proof of insurance.

As far as leaving a scooter in the hallways, some cruise lines have areas designed for just this use because there are definitely more scooter users than there are handicapped accessible rooms. It may not be convenient (like right outside your cabin) or even on the same deck. If you're thinking about renting a scooter, check with the special needs department to see if it's possible. We were on Breakaway in August. Our deck (14) could never accommodate a scooter left in the hallway, since the hallway was barely wide enough for my sister to get through with her little Luggie and leaving enough room to get around Housekeeping carts.

15,000 units seized & off the "private" streets by UK authorities - cited as fire hazards. Perhaps, they aren't really UL-listed and approved ;) http://www.bbc.com/news/business-34975178

Have a look one of the picture in the article - imagine that happening just feets away from your bed inside the stateroom, recharging while you are sleeping and/or away from the cabin (and, electrical devices are best to be unplugged when unattended)

Edited by mking8288

You actually won't land in the same spot....it will only seem like you did. :p

If you jump up and land in 1 second, your landing spot will be over 700 feet from where you jumped but since the plane also moved over 700 feet, you won't notice.

Its all relative.

I just read where Delta, American, and United airlines have banned these from flights as being a fire danger.

Edit: and I just read where that was already posted above. Ha! Well, I spelled out some specific airlines, I guess.

Edited by LrgPizza

There was a fatality in London the other day when a young lad collided with a bus. My grandson is having one for Christmas and we thoroughly disapprove. They are dangerous and it is illegal to ride them on the pavements in the UK. They can also burst into flames or explode when being recharged. I'm afraid he won't be allowed to bring it into our home!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We're missing the REAL danger here, folks: it's not hoverboards, it's chairs and tables.

Here's a link showing that between 2008-10 there was an average of 43,400 people in America attacked by their own furniture and sent to the emergency room each year. From the US Consumer Product Safety Commission:

http://www.cpsc.gov//PageFiles/108985/tipover2011.pdf

It's at the top of page 2, where they also note the grim statistic that in the same period, 293 people were actually crushed to death by furniture.

I hope all cruiselines will do everything they can to take all chairs, tables, TV sets, and the like off their ships before they maim and kill again.