Opinions on Alaska Itinerary

philatiger

We are looking to book Alaska in 2017 and need opinions on which of these has a better itinerary. Is Skagway worth giving up on Hubbard and better inside passage viewing? Just not sure which to take. Any opinions would be appreciated. Will the ship matter as much? Infinity is an older ship, Solstice is newer. TIA

Solstice

Day 1 Aug 25, 2017

Seattle, Washington

Day 2 Aug 26, 2017

At Sea

Day 3 Aug 27, 2017

Ketchikan, Alaska

Day 4 Aug 28, 2017

Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska

Day 4 Aug 29, 2017

Juneau, Alaska

Day 5 Aug 30, 2017

Skagway, Alaska

Day 5 Aug 31, 2017

Inside Passage, Alaska

Day 6 Sep 1, 2017

At Sea

Day 7 Sep 2, 2017

Victoria, British Columbia

Day 8 Sep 3, 2017

Seattle, Washington

Infinity

Day 1 Aug 27, 2017

Vancouver, British Columbia

Day 2 Aug 28, 2017

Inside Passage, Alaska

Day 3 Aug 29, 2017

Icy Strait Point, Alaska

Day 4 Aug 30, 2017

Hubbard Glacier, Alaska

Day 5 Aug 31, 2017

Juneau, Alaska

Day 6 Sep 1, 2017

Ketchikan, Alaska

Day 7 Sep 2, 2017

Inside Passage, Alaska

Day 8 Sep 3, 2017

That's a tough question and you're going to get opinions all over the place. I've sailed the Solstice to Alaska many times because I simply love the S-class ships. I've tried, but just don't have the same feel for the M-class. Others feel just as passionately about their preference of the M-class over the S-class. Simply personal preference. However, I am beginning to tire of the same itinerary over and over (not the ship, though :D). That's why I'm looking forward to the Solstice's Ultimate Alaska in May 2017. Finally a different itinerary and the inside passage.

That's a tough question and you're going to get opinions all over the place. I've sailed the Solstice to Alaska many times because I simply love the S-class ships. I've tried, but just don't have the same feel for the M-class. Others feel just as passionately about their preference of the M-class over the S-class. Simply personal preference. However, I am beginning to tire of the same itinerary over and over (not the ship, though :D). That's why I'm looking forward to the Solstice's Ultimate Alaska in May 2017. Finally a different itinerary and the inside passage.

If you primary need is the ship go with Solstice, if itinerary go with the M class ships. I did Solstice because wife likes S class ships but want to go back and do an M class ship for the itinerary.

Yup. The one ways cruises out of Vancouver and Seward have the better itinerary for 7 day cruises. We like the S class cabins and the ease of cruising out of Seattle, but you are going for the itinerary. Hopefully you can have a few days to rent a car and explore Alaska on your own before or after your cruise. Denali is great in May. Not good in july and August due to clouds and smoke from forest fires.

I would not give up Skagway. Just returned in September from a 2 week land-cruise tour and found the history of the Yukon gold rush to be one of the highlights; and Skagway is the start point of the gold rush. It is also an interesting city with some good restaurants.

Nice to have choices, isn't it!? Both are appealing. Cruising out of of Vancouver is scenic, but you won't see much on the way north because it will be dark. The way back is spectacular.

If it's about ports, take the Solstice. Although, we did Tracy Arm Fjord on the Infinity and it was great! If it's about scenic cruising and relaxing, take the Infinity. Is this your first Alaska cruise? If so, I think I'd go with Solstice. It has a nice mix of ports and scenery.

My advice:

Solstice. Get to Seattle a couple days early. Go to the NPS Klondike Gold Rush site in Pioneer Square. The Museum of Flight is great if you like aviation.

Ketchikan- Walk the creek and shop. Make sure you stop in Soho Coho gallery. The SE Alaska Discovery Center is interesting. Landing on a Mt. Lake in Misty Fjords was the most spectacular excursion we've ever done!

Juneau- Whale watching! I'll do that in Juneau every time.

Skagway- The sister site of the Klondike Gold Rush site in Seattle, and the 1880's train! Locals? have repainted the ship graffiti on the rocks. I love that. If you leave Skagway during daylight, the scenery on the way down Chilkoot Inlet is beautiful. If the light is right, Eldred Rock Lighthouse makes for a nice photo.

Victoria- As much as I didn't want to go, Butchart Gardens was beautiful and we've gone back on a land vacation. The harbor area in Victoria is nice.

Free advice is worth exactly what you pay for it. Enjoy whichever you choose.

If you take the Solstice, they have a great naturalist on board Brent Nixon. He gives talks everyday and a running commentary as you are going up Tracey Arm Fjord. Also, if weather and ice permits Celebrity does a great excursion once you get to Sawyer Glacier which is you furthest transit up the Fjord. They have Catamarans which you get on and take you closer to the Glacier. They also will take you to the other Sawyer glacier which the Solstice can't get to. One of the best excursions we ever did, lots of whales, seals and other wildlife. The catamaran then meets the ship in Juneau.

If you are looking at a veranda,, suggest an Aft Veranda so you can see both sides while Brent Nixon gives his commentary. If you only go with one side, you will miss the other side which could change on the way back. This is the day you go into Juneau.

Nice to have choices, isn't it!? Both are appealing. Cruising out of of Vancouver is scenic, but you won't see much on the way north because it will be dark. The way back is spectacular.

If it's about ports, take the Solstice. Although, we did Tracy Arm Fjord on the Infinity and it was great! If it's about scenic cruising and relaxing, take the Infinity. Is this your first Alaska cruise? If so, I think I'd go with Solstice. It has a nice mix of ports and scenery.

My advice:

Solstice. Get to Seattle a couple days early. Go to the NPS Klondike Gold Rush site in Pioneer Square. The Museum of Flight is great if you like aviation.

Ketchikan- Walk the creek and shop. Make sure you stop in Soho Coho gallery. The SE Alaska Discovery Center is interesting. Landing on a Mt. Lake in Misty Fjords was the most spectacular excursion we've ever done!

Juneau- Whale watching! I'll do that in Juneau every time.

Skagway- The sister site of the Klondike Gold Rush site in Seattle, and the 1880's train! Locals? have repainted the ship graffiti on the rocks. I love that. If you leave Skagway during daylight, the scenery on the way down Chilkoot Inlet is beautiful. If the light is right, Eldred Rock Lighthouse makes for a nice photo.

Victoria- As much as I didn't want to go, Butchart Gardens was beautiful and we've gone back on a land vacation. The harbor area in Victoria is nice.

Free advice is worth exactly what you pay for it. Enjoy whichever you choose.

Thanks for writing about the scenery when leaving Skagway. I was curious about it. We are going to Alaska, first time in July on the Solstice. Couldn't decide about where to eat dinner that night we leave Skagway- we have select dining - may just do the Ocean View Cafe that night. Hopefully we get a table by a window to enjoy the view.

We are looking to book Alaska in 2017 and need opinions on which of these has a better itinerary. Is Skagway worth giving up on Hubbard and better inside passage viewing? Just not sure which to take. Any opinions would be appreciated. Will the ship matter as much? Infinity is an older ship, Solstice is newer. TIA

Solstice

Day 1 Aug 25, 2017

Seattle, Washington

Day 2 Aug 26, 2017

At Sea

Day 3 Aug 27, 2017

Ketchikan, Alaska

Day 4 Aug 28, 2017

Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska

Day 4 Aug 29, 2017

Juneau, Alaska

Day 5 Aug 30, 2017

Skagway, Alaska

Day 5 Aug 31, 2017

Inside Passage, Alaska

Day 6 Sep 1, 2017

At Sea

Day 7 Sep 2, 2017

Victoria, British Columbia

Day 8 Sep 3, 2017

Seattle, Washington

Infinity

Day 1 Aug 27, 2017

Day 2 Aug 28, 2017

Inside Passage, Alaska

Day 3 Aug 29, 2017

Icy Strait Point, Alaska

Day 4 Aug 30, 2017

Hubbard Glacier, Alaska

Day 5 Aug 31, 2017

Juneau, Alaska

Day 6 Sep 1, 2017

Ketchikan, Alaska

Day 7 Sep 2, 2017

Inside Passage, Alaska

Day 8 Sep 3, 2017

We've loved both of these ships and have done both to Alaska.

For us, Seattle is a better option for an embarkation port and do love Tracy Arm ... would do it over the Hubbard Glacier. Just my opinion on that, though. I also like Victoria a bit more than Vancouver as well and Skagway has always been a favorite.

With that, have sailed on S-class ships and M-class ships 3 times each. Love, love, love the Infinity! My best cruises have always been on the Infinity. Don't get me wrong, we've always had a great time on the Solstice but the Infinity just matches my cruising style a wee bit more.

If you take the Solstice, they have a great naturalist on board Brent Nixon. He gives talks everyday and a running commentary as you are going up Tracey Arm Fjord. Also, if weather and ice permits Celebrity does a great excursion once you get to Sawyer Glacier which is you furthest transit up the Fjord. They have Catamarans which you get on and take you closer to the Glacier. They also will take you to the other Sawyer glacier which the Solstice can't get to. One of the best excursions we ever did, lots of whales, seals and other wildlife. The catamaran then meets the ship in Juneau.

If you are looking at a veranda,, suggest an Aft Veranda so you can see both sides while Brent Nixon gives his commentary. If you only go with one side, you will miss the other side which could change on the way back. This is the day you go into Juneau.

We did the Solstice in August 2013 and Brent Nixon made the cruise so memorable for us. He is a such a great narrator and so entertaining. I think half of the passengers became his groupies by the end of the cruise

Thank you all for the GREAT insight. This is our first Alaska, so a good mix of ports and scenery is probably the best option for us. We booked 8344 on the Solstice, aft, so we will get to see both sides as we cruise. I think we will keep it. Ya'll have us excited now, but a long wait. At least we have other cruises between now and then.

Edited by philatiger

As someone who actually lives in Alaska I find the question of which itinerary is better virtually impossible to answer. The best itinerary is the one which provides the best ports which fit your particular interests (i.e., whale watching, bear viewing, First People culture and so forth). First determine what your interests and priorities are, then research the ports to find the best match. But for cruises which start or end in Seward, the closest airport is Anchorage.

The Alaska Cruise Critic forum is located under "Ports of Call" on the main CC message board form index page. At the top of the Alaska forum are two sticky's compiling trip reports. Those trip reports are a great source of information for those planning a trip to our state.

And a quick comment regarding the ship names on rocks along the Skagway port. It is my understanding that the tradition of crew members painting ship names on those shore rocks began in the 1930s.

When departing Skagway the ship will go through Taiya Inlet into Chilkoot Inlet and then into Lynn Canal. Both Taiya and Chilkoot Inlets are relatively narrow, and on a clear day the scenery will be great.

.... Denali is great in May. Not good in july and August due to clouds and smoke from forest fires.

Quite frankly, Denali can be obscured by clouds any month of the year; the mountain is so tall it influences local weather around it. Since we live about a two hour drive north of the entrance to Denali National Park we go there frequently, and we've seen the mountain out in all of its glory a number of times in July, August, and even September. And no one can predict if Alaska will have a particularly bad fire season or not.

Thank you all for the GREAT insight. This is our first Alaska, so a good mix of ports and scenery is probably the best option for us. We booked 8344 on the Solstice, aft, so we will get to see both sides as we cruise. I think we will keep it. Ya'll have us excited now, but a long wait. At least we have other cruises between now and then.

If you can go a couple days before, some good sights in Seattle. Just be careful of all the beggars.

Alaska is my favorite and been there twice already with HAL and NCL, will be my 3rd next year with Solstic this time.

The best highlights will be Glacier Bay, Tracy Arm, and Hubbard Glacier, in that order.

There is a 4th one called College Fjord which I cannot comment as only Princess Northbound goes there and I haven't taken Princess.

That being said, both RCCL and Celebrity don't have Glacier Bay permits so that alone you don't get the best IT unless you sail with other cruise lines.

But in between choosing between Infinity and Solstice:

For most sailing dates, Solstice has the worst IT because it sails open water more and less scenic inside passage, and it doesn't often get a good berth in Juneau and even tenders at times. Solstice Victoria IT is also not good as it docks very late in the afternoon. But it makes up because it sails Tracy Arm and you have an option to get into a smaller boat with Allen Marine when you reach Sawyer to take you deeper up to the other Sawyer Glacier. Solstice also has better Alaskan ports as you can do more in Skagway than Icy Strait.

And of course Solstice is currently the coolest ship sailing Alaska as the ship is really beautiful and feature packed.

For Infinity, you have better views during most sailing dates as it sails from Vancouver so spends most of the time in calmer scenic inside passage. This is where a balcony cabin becomes a premium. But the problem is it only goes to Hubbard and Icy Strait. Icy Strait is not a real port, just a tourist extension of Honnah, nothing much except for whale watching and zip line so you can do a lot more in Skagway.

To be honest, this is my 3rd Alaska that is why I opted for the Solstice for the ship's wow factor and some Alaska, but if it is your first time, I suggest a different cruise line that goes to Glacier Bay that sails from Vancouver. And if you want to get the most from a sailing, one way sailing (Vancouver to Seward, or Vancouver to Whittier or vise versa) gives you more than round trip Vancouver.. as one way sailing can cover 2 scenic cruise days: Glacier Bay plus Hubbard for both NCL and Princess.. or Glacier Bay and College Fjord for Princess

Edited by roquejo