Dress Code Report from Sihouette

Cruzinram

JMO, but I think that to many, the changes in dress codes are symbolic of the overall deterioration in the cruising experience. In fact, I've read many posts blaming deterioration of the quality of food on those who do not dress up. Their argument goes something like this: if you don't respect yourself enough to dress up, then the cruise line won't respect you enough to serve a quality meal.

That's a very "interesting" viewpoint.

It's funny reading people who can't comprehend ideas like "chic" and "designer jeans" complain about people in baseball caps and think it's all related in some big conspiracy to ruin their lives :D

Here's an image of someone dressed chicly in designer jeans, note that there's no baseball cap:

350x700px-LL-9ae989ba_742161.jpeg

Now compare that to the myriad of guys I see on cruises who wear suits that aren't tailored, or were tailored a long time ago, are out of style, use out of style ties, out of style shoes, etc. These people, to me, look far worse. You can't just throw on clothes and think they look good because they're considered "dress clothes".

Chic (or chique) is correct, conforming to the current fashion; stylish.

Chick is a young chicken or often offensive, meaning a girl or young woman. :)

Ermmm...I think you'll find that's why he used inverted commas around the word :rolleyes:

For the life of me.....I did not read anywhere in this thread that indicated anyone was "ignoring the cruise line's dress guidelines." or "flaunt a total disregard for guidelines". ( I have not seen a no hat edict in the dress regs).

If you saw "people in shorts, novelty t-shirts and flip flops that weren't turned away" from the main dining room at supper time, then I would say that the staff is derelict in their duties. Blaming people that were not informed or restricted is no the fault of the people, it is the fault of those empowered to enforce the rules.

grandgeezer, lay the blame, if there is any, where it belongs...not on the passengers but the enforcers at the gate.

The dress code is published in the Daily Compass, if you can't read, then I apologize. Shorts and the other items have never been allowed, in the main dining room for dinner. If you read other posts on this subject, people openly admit to ignoring the dresss code for the night. I agree that there has been no edict on dress regs, but does it have to resort to that? Common courtesy says that you should abide by the ground rules set aside by your host.

I totally agree with the point about the keepers of the gate and their responsibility. They are so afraid to say anything that might offend the paying customer. In the words of one of my bosses "The inmates shouldn't run the asylum". In cruising they do

It's funny reading people who can't comprehend ideas like "chic" and "designer jeans" complain about people in baseball caps and think it's all related in some big conspiracy to ruin their lives :D

Here's an image of someone dressed chicly in designer jeans, note that there's no baseball cap:

Now compare that to the myriad of guys I see on cruises who wear suits that aren't tailored, or were tailored a long time ago, are out of style, use out of style ties, out of style shoes, etc. These people, to me, look far worse. You can't just throw on clothes and think they look good because they're considered "dress clothes".

Very well said. Nice post.

I only will where a hat if I really need to for blocking the sun. I'm not a big fan of hat on myself. The statement above does applies to both sexes right?

I of course manners applies to all.. I also wear a sun visor .but not indoors unless its a wedding or indoor garden party, ..and I guess there is a club where women wear red hats to a luncheon...never saw a group of red hatters on a cruise..but I imagine it's possible..,

That is a nice outfit for a young person..I agree that some seniors could use a wardrobe refresh...style is subjective!

On one Constellation cruise the table next to us came in shorts the first several nights. It was because their luggage missed the plane, and the ship and didn't catch up to them until the first port. There may be a reason some were let in while others turned away.

I'm on the Equinox now and both formal nights were just that. Most were dressed up, much more than not!

What is "dressed up" men in mostly ill-fitting black suits bought just for the cruise or standard tuxes, women in just JC penny nice dresses or Chic modern clothes that may or not look good to cruise traditionalist .

Those guys you see on cruises who wear suits that " aren't tailored, or were tailored a long time ago, are out of style, use out of style ties, out of style shoes, etc." , aren't going to look like your picture just because they're wearing jeans.

The jeans aren't going to help their style sense.

They're much more likely to look like this:

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSjg_TwXqAPgdTH0Ap94faSc_y7zTHmj2gA3H3ACCI_sGv-rHME

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSjg_TwXqAPgdTH0Ap94faSc_y7zTHmj2gA3H3ACCI_sGv-rHME

Edited by chamima

Those guys you see on cruises who wear suits that " aren't tailored, or were tailored a long time ago, are out of style, use out of style ties, out of style shoes, etc." , aren't going to look like your picture just because they're wearing jeans.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSjg_TwXqAPgdTH0Ap94faSc_y7zTHmj2gA3H3ACCI_sGv-rHME

Yes, I can see where a tuxedo would certainly help his "style sense".

I'm on the Equinox now and both formal nights were just that. Most were dressed up, much more than not!

Did your cruise start prior to December 4th? That is, before the new dress code went into effect?

I suspect that when the daily Equinox Today sheet identifies the evening dress as "evening chic" with a description of what that means, not many will don tuxedos. It will be interesting to hear from folks on post-4th sailings.

You have a very fair point :)

I'm just saying, you can wear jeans and still look nice and stylish if you choose to.

I'm uncomfortable with the way these Evening Chic discussions are headed. I'd hate to see photos of Celebrity Cruise passengers that someone has taken covertly pop up here on the board to demonstrate examples of perceived nonconformity. It feels like that's the road we're going down. I sure hope the moderators will step in and delete those posts or close these discussions if this starts happening.

Although casual chic covers many modern aspects of dress, I believe many folk still enjoy the dressing up for dinner idea. Why not have a smaller venue (complimentary, not a Speciality restaurant) where formal is the 'norm'. Passengers can go there a couple of times a week to fulfil their desire to dress up.

Although casual chic covers many modern aspects of dress, I believe many folk still enjoy the dressing up for dinner idea. Why not have a smaller venue (complimentary, not a Speciality restaurant) where formal is the 'norm'. Passengers can go there a couple of times a week to fulfil their desire to dress up.

I have said this many times since I was hooked on CC's dress threads but no one listens. Many people dress "Formally" not with just black suits, to celebrate a special occasion or just like the traditional cruise style. A section of the MDR or another venue, but wait, they mights not have the same wait staff or some other complaint. I guess RCCL has more information on what people want than members of CC. to please MOST passengers.

IMHO modern Chic is the way to go if only they would enforce some of the basic basic basic rules in place right now.

I'm uncomfortable with the way these Evening Chic discussions are headed. I'd hate to see photos of Celebrity Cruise passengers that someone has taken covertly pop up here on the board to demonstrate examples of perceived nonconformity. It feels like that's the road we're going down. I sure hope the moderators will step in and delete those posts or close these discussions if this starts happening.

I'm feeling badly about posting that picture.

I didn't mean to make fun of anyone!

(I googled "images of sloppy jeans" and that's how i got it so it's already out there on the internet)

I was just trying to make the point that the same guy who may look less than put together in his old, ill-fitting suit will look even worse in his (maybe new) ill-fitting jeans.

I don't think Celebrity made this change to make themselves into a more hip cruise line . (And that picture of a young, gorgeous guy in his vest and jeans is definitely that image.)

I think they made it to expand their customer base to those people who don't own or won't wear a suit.

There are other cruise lines out there catering to this clientele and it make me sad that Celebrity no longer cares to differentiate themselves from that image.

I have said this many times since I was hooked on CC's dress threads but no one listens. Many people dress "Formally" not with just black suits, to celebrate a special occasion or just like the traditional cruise style. A section of the MDR or another venue, but wait, they mights not have the same wait staff or some other complaint. I guess RCCL has more information on what people want than members of CC. to please MOST passengers.

IMHO modern Chic is the way to go if only they would enforce some of the basic basic basic rules in place right now.

I will go to the MDR whether I'm dressed "chic" or "formal". :)

Do designer jeans even come in sizes that would fit the average Celebrity cruiser? I believe the older one gets, the more it becomes necessary to dress well, so as to cover the physical faults that can accompany the ageing process. Once a guy's belt line goes down and under his paunch, any idea of chic goes out the window in my estimate.

The battle to maintain some form of dress standards has been lost. It's time to tilt with other windmills. My favorite would be table manners. :)