Shame on you Celebrity

twin123185

I was on the same cruise on Silhouette and they were offering a FCC for TAs only with small OBC and prepaid gratuities ( something new for TA) -that should had been an indicator that pricing will be higher. Never thought it will be 30% higher...

Still, you can use that FCC for another cruise with different perks.

They were offering that deal without a published price? Why would anyone book a cruise & not know the price they were going to pay; for just a small OBC & tips?:eek:

For those "grass is greener" types looking to switch to Princess or HAL, prices for their April 2017 TA's are currently HIGHER than Celebrity on a per day basis. (I wonder if folks on their forums are "threatening" to switch to Celebrity?)

As the number of retiring baby boomers increases, I would expect TA cruise prices to increase accordingly.

A large number of retired Europeans live in the U.S. for part of the year and use TA's to travel back and forth: they're in no hurry, they can bring more crap, and they don't have to hassle with the airlines. I expect this trend to grow.

On the other hand, prices will decrease if bookings don't proceed as anticipated.

Thems the facts!

For those "grass is greener" types looking to switch to Princess or HAL, prices for their April 2017 TA's are currently HIGHER than Celebrity on a per day basis. (I wonder if folks on their forums are "threatening" to switch to Celebrity?)

As the number of retiring baby boomers increases, I would expect TA cruise prices to increase accordingly.

A large number of retired Europeans live in the U.S. for part of the year and use TA's to travel back and forth: they're in no hurry, they can bring more crap, and they don't have to hassle with the airlines. I expect this trend to grow.

On the other hand, prices will decrease if bookings don't proceed as anticipated.

Thems the facts!

Not true on Princess TA's .... Regal TA in April 2017 has Mini Suites at over $1,000 less per person for a 15 night cruise vs a 13 night cruise in a SS on Eclipse. The mini suite is an equal room to the SS, but no butler or Luminae....is that worth 2grand for less nights, fewer ports....I don't think so..... but to each his own......

Princess also less for a full suite than a CS on same sailings.

They were offering that deal without a published price? Why would anyone book a cruise & not know the price they were going to pay; for just a small OBC & tips?:eek:

I will tell you why. Based on a previous experience ( we have done it about dozen of times), price hike was not very dramatic and, doing it 2 year in advance, we only have to put $100/ pp deposit, not $900. So now we have cruise we wanted and got cabins we wanted. Still in price shock, I am hoping for a price reduction between now and time of final payment.

We still can cancel or move this booking to another cruise.

I'm amazed that people book without knowing the price. Yes, you can cancel by a certain date but once you book many set other wheels in motion (flights etc) which might not be so easy to cancel.

Not usually two years in advance, at most 1 year on airline tickets.

Another aspect of setting prices high for new itineraries and early bookings is that those willing to pay the price will. Even if X has to lower pricing later, how many of those initial cruisers won't check pricing after booking or know they can get the lower price?

Only a small percentage of cruisers are CC members or as informed.

Another aspect of setting prices high for new itineraries and early bookings is that those willing to pay the price will. Even if X has to lower pricing later, how many of those initial cruisers won't check pricing after booking or know they can get the lower price?

Only a small percentage of cruisers are CC members or as informed.

Those passengers that are long time TA cruisers will check the fares frequently. We know too well that the fares due change.

Thems the facts!

I will do my part to lower TA fares and not book! :)

The prices are as of today. April 2016 TA are selling at the reduced prices and are not sold out!!!!!!

Right, current 2016 prices are based on supply and demand, otherwise the ship would be sold out already, or a ghost ship.

I find it hard to believe that boomers retiring has had no effect on 2016, but in 2017, all the hype. Perks, are there goodies given for 2017 but not 2016? Remember the original 123GO this year, it was those that booked with the promo, that got the better rates too.

Consider the source, they might just be winging it. Richard Fain said only a few months ago, that RCL's dynamic dinging was the future of the cruise industry, only to retreat from it himself from terrible reviews. There's been a lot of wishful thinking, power of suggestion, and pricing games that the RCL side has had to deal with recently. It's no surprise if it crosses over.

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

Right, current 2016 prices are based on supply and demand, otherwise the ship would be sold out already, or a ghost ship.

I find it hard to believe that boomers retiring has had no effect on 2016, but in 2017, all the hype. Perks, are there goodies given for 2017 but not 2016? Remember the original 123GO this year, it was those that booked with the promo, that got the better rates too.

Consider the source, they might just be winging it. Richard Fain said only a few months ago, that RCL's dynamic dinging was the future of the cruise industry, only to retreat from it himself from terrible reviews. There's been a lot of wishful thinking, power of suggestion, and pricing games that the RCL side has had to deal with recently. It's no surprise if it crosses over.

Yes, the hype can suck a lot of people in but they will need to deliver a better product (not worse) if they want to keep the ships full on the higher prices.

I've always found X pricing to be what I consider extremely high when first opening up another year's itineraries. If they can get it, good for them. However, I've mostly found that at some point, even if only for a few days, pricing does come down. When itineraries are released I scout them out and pick a few I like to watch pricing. Usually one of them will have significant price reduction and that's the one we book. We're not very particular about our cabin or location. We usually book the best value. We've had everything between an inside and a mini suite. We always buy a drink package, so for us most of the time when we price an inside and add a drink package, it brings the price up to a balcony and sometimes even AC where the drink package is included (I know TAs don't get these perks). I say sit back and relax. Eventually pricing for an itinerary your interested in will come down.

I booked what was the last available room on Infiinity Rio Carnival cruise. Last week I noticed they were selling rooms again and I upgrade to oceanview guaranty. Yesterday I see the cruise selling balconies for $800 less than my ocean view guaranty. My TA says they will do nothing. is this typical?

I booked what was the last available room on Infiinity Rio Carnival cruise. Last week I noticed they were selling rooms again and I upgrade to oceanview guaranty. Yesterday I see the cruise selling balconies for $800 less than my ocean view guaranty. My TA says they will do nothing. is this typical?

I wouldn't say it is typical but if it is after final payment then it is certainly possible that both prices may drop and people cannot change their bookings or get refunds. Sometimes the TA will be able to sweeten the deal sometimes not.

This situation is just the same as buying anything and the next week they go on sale. It is just bad timing.

Edited by MicCanberra

Experiencing a price increase is always disappointing. But is Celebrity's higher pricing really outrageous and should they be "ashamed"?

An inside can be had for around $1500 + $195 for gratuities. A conservative valuation of one way transportation to Europe from the USA is $500/person. That leaves $1195 or about $80/day/person for other things.

Let's see what we get:

- a small but nicely appointed room on a floating resort with twice daily housekeeping service for 15 days

- all of the food that you can eat for 15 days

- a variety of entertainment at no additional charge

- use of many (not all) of the resort facilities at no additional charge - i.e. pools, whirlpools, solarium, library, an occasional movie, inside and outside lounge areas, game room, guest lectures, etc.

And if you are elite or better, you get some free drinks almost every day, some free laundry and dry cleaning, some free internet and a few other things.

All for about $80/day/person when traveling double occupancy.

So..... was it an even better deal in prior years? Of course it was. But does that mean that Celebrity (or other lines) should be ashamed of the value proposition?

The Me First - It's All About Me Syndrome will get to you sometimes if you are not careful.

Having worried myself to distraction over getting the best price, no more! I buy when the price is right for me and move on. There are lots of itineraries on lots of cruise lines. If you pick nits, some are better than others but I don't have to cook and I don't have to clean the bathroom.

This IS frustrating. Celebrity will let you upgrade your cabin (spend more money). We sometimes book the lowest category we will be happy with and hope for the best. If we stay in our book cabin, we're still OK.

I would just like to say that my April 2016 13 night cruise is now, after a price drop yesterday, $1000 LESS than my 16 night 2017 cruise. Have a great Christmas and New Year everyone and hope who ever celebrated, you had a great Chanukah also!

I would just like to say that my April 2016 13 night cruise is now, after a price drop yesterday, $1000 LESS than my 16 night 2017 cruise. Have a great Christmas and New Year everyone and hope who ever celebrated, you had a great Chanukah also!

Your 2017 cruise could possibly have a price drop also. We experienced it for our 2016 TA. Well over a $2000.00 price drop, from the time we originally booked it.