Linen Shortage

BigTimeCruiser

We always book a mini-suite and haven't had pool towel in our room for at least the beginning of 2015. The pool towels are stacked outside by the pool in a cloth-like cabinet. The cabinet also a place to put used towels. I think this is a much better way than having to carry them from the cabin.

Best fix ever when the sides of the mattress are saggy is to place rolled up pool towels along the side between the metal bed frame and the mattress.

Honestly, it's a good thing we like Princess so much because we do have some interesting stories to tell about ripped linens, missing facecloths and towels, ridiculously poor pillows and mattresses and shredded personal laundry. And don't even get me started on the 'one size fits no one' robes!

We had to change cabins on our last B2B trip & when when we finally got into our cabin I found the pillows to be like marshmallows. We went back for our old pillows in a flash + took along our old robes to boot. You can never tell what we would have received on the next leg. ;)

I guess you got what you got but we were on the same cruise as you and had absolutely no problem with linens or towels.

Over the years we have occasionally been shorted a hand towel or face cloth but really never had any thing to make an issue about.

We were in a Baja starboard balcony, and my cousin and her dh who had the same bad steward had the same problem. It may have been the bad steward, but one of our table mates on another deck mentioned it, too. The holes in the sheets were like pin holes.

Was on the Crown Princess (B2B) 35 days in Oct/Nov and linens were changed frequently and bath towels, etc were fresh/clean for both morning and night. Had fresh bed linens on turn around day. We had new somewhat plush robes that even were sent to the laundry and returned during the cruise. Beach towels were not in the cabin but available by the pools. We just got off the Coral Princess and no beach towels in the cabin. Must be something new for the ships. Had the waffle type bathrobes but they were new. No problem having fresh bed linens or bath towels, etc.

I'm in Australia, does anyone know what type of shops would be likely to sell the small, super-absorbent-think it's micro-fibre but not sure-towels please? I have over 10 months still to go, so could look out for 1, if I knew what type of shop to check. Am used to motels where towels are provided.

Daiso. It's a Japanese store where everything is $1.50. Otherwise an outfitting store. There must be something like REI or MEI in Australia. Walmart might even have something.

I know Australia is huge, but Decathalon is an outdoor store who would carry camping/hiking microfibre towels. Online shop isnt working, but should see if theres one near you.

Target AUS carry them as well:

http://www.target.com.au/search?text=micro+fibre+towel

I are hope we have clean sheets when we board the Grand on December 20th. Guess I'll bring my own washcloth just in case.... :0

Just got off the Grand and had no complaints about the sheets or towels/cloths. In fact (we were in a suite) it seemed we had clean sheets EVERY day and more than enough cleans towels.

My only complaint with Princess is their lack of good-quality mattresses. I generally cannot sleep for more than 5-6 hours without waking with a terrible backache. I have had to fold pool towels to level out the sagging mattresses many times. Pillow toppers are inconsistent from deck to deck and ship to ship. However, having said that, I do believe I read a headline somewhere on Princess' website recently that new bedding is coming.

As for the towels, they more often feel like loofas but the quality is good.

Edited by iceleven

Was on the Crown Princess (B2B) 35 days in Oct/Nov and linens were changed frequently and bath towels, etc were fresh/clean for both morning and night. Had fresh bed linens on turn around day. We had new somewhat plush robes that even were sent to the laundry and returned during the cruise. Beach towels were not in the cabin but available by the pools. We just got off the Coral Princess and no beach towels in the cabin. Must be something new for the ships. Had the waffle type bathrobes but they were new. No problem having fresh bed linens or bath towels, etc.

That is good to know. I am fine without pool towels, but must have clean linens!

However, having said that, I do believe I read a headline somewhere on Princess' website recently that new bedding is coming.

There was a thread based on an article from the current Captain's Circle magazine that the new Princess Luxury Bed will be "rolling out to every stateroom across the fleet through 2018".

Hopefully the "plush two inch thick pillow top, a nine inch single sided firm mattress" will be a long term improvement. Princess promoted their pillow top mattresses on the Royal & Regal & I sailed on both ships. The mattresses were more comfortable for me although looking under the sheet it was a pillow top pad over the mattress.

Edited by Astro Flyer

We have enjoyed the new Princess mattresses on both the Royal and Ruby this year.

However, on the topic of linen we had a horrible experience experience a few years ago on HAL's Oosterdam, I mean everything was stained, the cushions on our cabin chairs, balcony chairs, bathroom towels, pool towels, and table linens. It was supposed to be a Christmas cruise but it was the cruise from h**l.

We have enjoyed the new Princess mattresses on both the Royal and Ruby this year.

However, on the topic of linen we had a horrible experience experience a few years ago on HAL's Oosterdam, I mean everything was stained, the cushions on our cabin chairs, balcony chairs, bathroom towels, pool towels, and table linens. It was supposed to be a Christmas cruise but it was the cruise from h**l.

Were you wilth us on the Zuiderdam two years ago? Same deal.

One stateroom attendant told us that they are having to decide who gets clean sheets on turn around day and who does not.

They would not leave the sheets from the week before on the bed. I would say he was referring to B2B cabins where the same people were in the cabin. Then they would change on the next day. 1 more day with the same sheets isn't going to hurt anyone.

They would not leave the sheets from the week before on the bed. I would say he was referring to B2B cabins where the same people were in the cabin. Then they would change on the next day. 1 more day with the same sheets isn't going to hurt anyone.

See how easy it is to get rumors started. ;)

See how easy it is to get rumors started. ;)

Most room stewards English is not there first language, I can see a room steward saying that as he tries to explain whats happening. Also a lot of people don't listen and just assume things, thats when things like there not changing our sheets we will have bed sheets from the week before. If I even thought that was a remote possibility I would be on the phone to the hotel manager asking what was going on. Think about it did you really think that they would not change your sheets.

• 3 weeks later...

Was on the Crown Dec. 19th to Mexico over Christmas. Did not experience anything bad with the linens. On arrival, 2 bath robes were hanging in our closet. No pool towels in the room but available by the pool. Clean towels and sheets were provided. I read this thread before going on the Crown and I have to say, it put a bit of a damper getting ready for my cruise to find out NOTHING was wrong. Reading these boards should help a cruiser and not take away their pre-cruise excitement. :(

We were on the Crown's December 12 cruise to Mexico and had the same experience as MVT. Had no linen problems. Actually had no problems on this cruise... mattress, food, friendliness of staff, were all good.

On the Royal last month our room steward explained to us that pool towels were not in the stateroom any more, but tons were always available by both pools. The one exception to this was the night before we arrived at Princess Cays she had placed pool towels on our bed along with the Patter.

They also had a table set up by the gangway so that you could pick up towels to take ashore if needed.

We did the Hawaii/South Pacific Cruise on the Crown in Oct/Nov and I must say although the sheets were definitely clean; they were full of holes. On several occasions we had holes big enough to put my head thru. They were at the bottom corner so really didn't interfere with sleeping. Several other holes were smaller but still much larger than pin holes. We are very "easy" cruisers and "go with the flow" so this was not significant enough to complain about (especially since the sheets were clean). I did mention this problem in my end of cruise survey as I am sure that even though this did not bother us, it could very well leave a very bad impression on a first time Princess cruiser. As a small stockholder, I say spend a little money and buy some new sheets!