Pullmantur Zenith Anchor Crushes Protected Reef

docd

http://www.compasscayman.com/caycompass/2015/12/10/Cruise-anchor-reef-scare-in-George-Town-harbor/

Local press states the ship was in the cruise ship zone and that there was no negligence and that the 'ship's' crew was not in error.

What is interesting is that there is no mention of the port's pilot that would have taken the ship in to the location where they would have dropped anchor. These agents are contracted by the Port Authority of Grand Cayman.

Edited by MADflyer

Obviously the Zenith was not legally responsible for the damage to the reef. They were guided to the anchorage site by the pilot. Grand Cayman authorities have chosen the health of their economy over the health of the reefs in that particular area.

I would have thought it would be illegal for divers to be that close to an anchored cruise ship. Why were they there, why were they not detected and arrested if in violation of the law?

I just read this on reddit, but I think it would be worthwhile posted here. While traveling to foreign countries can be an enriching experience from both sides, we must always be cognizant of how our actions affect others.

'Another sad day for the reefs of Grand Cayman. Today we noticed that the Pullmantur Zenith (a division of Royal Caribbean Cruise lines) was anchored oddly close to the reef so we decided to go out and have a look...As you will see in the video, a massive portion of the reef out front from Don Fosters and Eden Rock was completely destroyed today. The Department of Environment was contacted but nothing could be done because this was a designated anchorage zone and they were given permission to drop anchor. In the previous several decades this pristine portion of the reef was never needed as an anchorage location but for some reason today, when there was only 4 ships in port, it was deemed necessary. As part of the marine park, we are not allowed to fish here, not allowed to hunt lobsters, you can't even pick up an empty shell, all in the name of conservation?....but for some reason you can drop an anchor and wipe out a reef that took thousands of years to grow.

This video was shot roughly an hour after the anchor was dropped, I can't imagine what it looks like now.'

I don't know all the facts, but it seems senseless to have a protected reef (if that is indeed the case, I don't know) in an area where ships can anchor. This is more upon the port/country than the ship, but just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should. There is such a thing as social responsibility.

Regardless, something probably should change.

they need to build a dock and call it a day already, there is tons of damage in that section no point to try to blame anyone where but the cayman government, whats done is done already they are not going to stop dropping anchor there so they might as well just build.

I just read this on reddit, but I think it would be worthwhile posted here. While traveling to foreign countries can be an enriching experience from both sides, we must always be cognizant of how our actions affect others.

'Another sad day for the reefs of Grand Cayman. Today we noticed that the Pullmantur Zenith (a division of Royal Caribbean Cruise lines) was anchored oddly close to the reef so we decided to go out and have a look...As you will see in the video, a massive portion of the reef out front from Don Fosters and Eden Rock was completely destroyed today. The Department of Environment was contacted but nothing could be done because this was a designated anchorage zone and they were given permission to drop anchor. In the previous several decades this pristine portion of the reef was never needed as an anchorage location but for some reason today, when there was only 4 ships in port, it was deemed necessary. As part of the marine park, we are not allowed to fish here, not allowed to hunt lobsters, you can't even pick up an empty shell, all in the name of conservation?....but for some reason you can drop an anchor and wipe out a reef that took thousands of years to grow.

This video was shot roughly an hour after the anchor was dropped, I can't imagine what it looks like now.'

Funny how the video doesn't seem to show anything like "massive portion completely destroyed"......:rolleyes:

What's even more daunting are the comments from completely clueless dolts on the Youtube site.

The port authority tells ships exactly where to anchor there. RCCL cannot be blamed at all for doing just what they were instructed to do. Unless you want all shipping to be banned (not! then where would you get that new foreign made vehicle:rolleyes:) I bet that would change their view:cool:

It's a shame the reef was damaged, but we dove Eden Rock about 6 or 7 years ago and it was completely dead and barren with just Barracuda at that time and they said it was due to Hurricane. Sht happens. So maybe that was the place they considered best to anchor. If Grand Cayman wanted to fix the problem, they should build a dock.

Edited by BecciBoo

Funny how the video doesn't seem to show anything like "massive portion completely destroyed"......:rolleyes:

I agree. It didn't look destroyed to me either, but it didn't "look great" to see the anchor chain on the coral. There had to have been some damage, but the descriptive destroyed seems a bit much.

Edited by A&L_Ont

I dove the reef just off Don Fosters back on May 1st and it was the most dead lifeless reef I've ever dove in the caribbean. From that reef to where the ships normally anchor is usually at 1/2 mile away.

It's a shame the reef was damaged, but we dove Eden Rock about 6 or 7 years ago and it was completely dead and barren with just Barracuda at that time and they said it was due to Hurricane. Sht happens. So maybe that was the place they considered best to anchor. If Grand Cayman wanted to fix the problem, they should build a dock.

I could probably post a video on youtube of my dive there last Spring. I didn't upload it as the reef was pretty lifeless and nothing to see.

First, clarifying a few details.

The Port Authority of the Cayman Islands assigns ships to one of four anchorage zones (or assigns them to maintain position on engine power further out). The Port Authority does not tell the ships where in the zone to drop the anchor.

Many ships contract with a harbour pilot to guide them in anchoring. The harbour pilots do not work for the Port Authority of the Cayman Islands, they work for a company, Bodden Shipping, which also provides tender service to many of the ships.

The Marine Law of the Cayman Islands clearly states that damaging coral by anchor, chain, or any other means ANYWHERE in Cayman waters is an offence. There are no exceptions.

The same Marine Law regulates regions in which smaller boats may (or may not) drop anchor. It sets up large zones with varying protections. In all cases damaging reef by anchoring is an offence.

While the Department of Environment has been quick to specify that the ship was within the designated anchorage zone, they have not clarified if the anchor was in the zone. Ships drop anchor and then drift back, sometimes substantial distances, until the anchor holds. It is entirely conceivable that a ship could be in its zone but its anchor be outside the zone. If that is the case then the ship committed an offence.

If the ship's anchor was inside its designated zone then the question arises as to why the boundaries of that zone include live reef. In such an instance it is incumbent on the authorities to re-draw the boundaries of the zone.

Finally, the diver was not committing any offence thus he was not subject to arrest. The anchor was atop a reef in front of his dive shop.

Edited by drew sailbum

In the video at this Cayman27 news report, at the 1:33 mark, an official of the Department of Environment shows a map showing the ship within its zone.

What is not readily apparent is that Don Foster's Dive is so far south of there that it is not even on the map shown.

There is a green dot on the map on shore showing the southern boundary of the anchorage zone. That dot is just below the letter "S" in South Church Street. That dot is between the Harbour Place and Queensgate House buildings, directly across the street from Abanks Watersports/Paradise Restaurant.

The southernmost reddish/pink labelled building on that map is directly across the street from Eden Rock. Eden Rock is outside the designated anchorage zone. Don Fosters is several buildings south of Eden Rock.

So if that anchor really was "out front from Don Fosters and Eden Rock" as described by the videographer then it was WELL outside the anchorage zone.

I could probably post a video on youtube of my dive there last Spring. I didn't upload it as the reef was pretty lifeless and nothing to see.

Same here, just dead gray reef rock and some Barracuda no reef fishes at all...we were very disappointed with it. But it was an easy walk from the pier so we elected to go there. Wish we had booked a dive out at Cayman Brac which I hear is spectacular.:D

Same here, just dead gray reef rock and some Barracuda no reef fishes at all...we were very disappointed with it. But it was an easy walk from the pier so we elected to go there. Wish we had booked a dive out at Cayman Brac which I hear is spectacular.:D

Agree the diving at the Brac is VERY good, and Little Cayman better yet

BUT

these sister islands to Grand Cayman are in round numbers 100 miles away from the cruise port . . . .

I don't think you can book a dive trip during a cruise ship stay unless you can afford a private plane ... and a fast one at that! Plus a private dive op.

:rolleyes: