Our first time flying business questions

oceansandseas

I need HELP please. DH and I are flying from Toronto to Miami for a cruise. We only need flight to Miami as we will be driving home after the cruise with friends. We have never flown business class. Do not mention points as we never seem to get enough or they just disappear after lapsed time. We only fly once each year.

It is an anniversary cruise and I want to surprise DH with a business class flight since it is only one way.

I could book AA and it would be $479.33 Canadian per person. 737-800. Or I could book AC for $793.80 Canadian on A321.

I have done a search and not come up with any answers.

1. Why is there such a difference in the price of the 2 airlines?

2. A search says that there is no lounge admittance with the AA flight, but could not find a yes or no for AC.

3. Both flights are non stop.

I would like to do something special for my DH and surprise him. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Is the A.C. flight nonstop? Flights that are nonstop typically are more desirable and expensive...

IF both are nonstop or you don't mind the connection, do something special for your husband: Book the AA flight and spend the $600+ you save on some wonderful celebrations on board...

Edited by notjaded

I need HELP please. DH and I are flying from Toronto to Miami for a cruise. We only need flight to Miami as we will be driving home after the cruise with friends. We have never flown business class. Do not mention points as we never seem to get enough or they just disappear after lapsed time. We only fly once each year.

It is an anniversary cruise and I want to surprise DH with a business class flight since it is only one way.

I could book AA and it would be $479.33 Canadian per person. 737-800. Or I could book AC for $793.80 Canadian on A321.

I have done a search and not come up with any answers.

2. A search says that there is no lounge admittance with the AA flight, but could not find a yes or no for AC.

I would like to do something special for my DH and surprise him. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

IMO: Too short a flight to waste money on business class.

FWIW, AC is Star Alliance, which we prefer based on our travel profile (and accumulated FF points). But, our loyalty sometimes goes out the window if the price difference is too large.

As for points, get a travel oriented credit card like United Explorer Visa (which has a variety of perks like lounge passes, free checked bags, trip insurance, no FTF, etc.) or Chase Sapphire when they're offering a good sign up bonus, then use the card for all purchases to get the "spend so much" bonus. Then buy missing miles during sales when you get 85-100% bonus miles. If you do it right, you should at least be able to do one international business flight per year free or for no more than the cost of a coach ticket. Note that you can do even better if you want to get into the whole multiple card process some frequent fliers use.

IMO: Too short a flight to waste money on business class.

FWIW, AC is Star Alliance, which we prefer based on our travel profile (and accumulated FF points). But, our loyalty sometimes goes out the window if the price difference is too large.

As for points, get a travel oriented credit card like United Explorer Visa (which has a variety of perks like lounge passes, free checked bags, trip insurance, no FTF, etc.) or Chase Sapphire when they're offering a good sign up bonus, then use the card for all purchases to get the "spend so much" bonus. Then buy missing miles during sales when you get 85-100% bonus miles. If you do it right, you should at least be able to do one international business flight per year free or for no more than the cost of a coach ticket. Note that you can do even better if you want to get into the whole multiple card process some frequent fliers use.

Canadians please correct me if I'm wrong....I believe Canadians don't have easy access to US cards and the Canadian cards aren't as generous with sign up points.

Edited by buggins0402

The price differential is simply supply and demand. The AC flight is probably fuller at the moment. Miami is one of AA's principal hubs, so they're very competitive in pricing.

I think that's pretty good value for a 3 1/2 hour flight. No, you won't get lounge access, but you'll get free bags, free booze, an in-flight meal, priority screening, and a much more comfortable seat.

No we don't have access to US credit cards. You have to have a US address to have a US credit card.

We fly business class fairly often to and from cruises particularly when we are going overseas but have done so between Canada and the US. Often we travel on AC.

Yes when flying business class you have access to the AC Maple Leaf Lounge in Toronto before your flight. It is a great way to spend time prior to your flight. There will be snacks and complimentary beverages, though alcohol service depends on the time of the day. IMHO flying business class on AC compared to AA is like night and day. With AC you will get individual inflight entertainment, food service with tablecloths and real stainless steel cutlery, food choices which are very good, and very good beverage service. In both instances you will get priority boarding. AC has been named the #1 airline in NA for a number of years.

To get more info on the differences in the airlines check out websites like seatguru and seat maestro. There you will see reviews of the different airlines and the different classes of service.

Whether it is worth the difference in cost only you know for sure. Personally i would not pay for domestic business class on AA but would do so on AC.

good luck with your decision and have a great cruise.

There is a lounge for AC actually a couple depending on where the gate is

You get free checked bags & extra carry on

meals onboard are not bad plus drinks if you want them

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/onboard/comfort_naexec.html

Value is different things to different people

If I can get Bus seats for a reasonable price (also subjective ) I do it

we will go a bit early to the airport & enjoy the lounge

food there is hit or miss

Have not flown on AA so cannot comment

Edited by LHT28

Canadians please correct me if I'm wrong....I believe Canadians don't have easy access to US cards and the Canadian cards aren't as generous with sign up points.

As far as I know they are few & far between ;)

I would check the seat width/recline for both as well

I think the 737's are a smaller than the airbus ...someone can confirm this

American is refurbishing its 737-800s; the older ones have overhead video screens, the refurbs have seatback IFE. The older ones have the same legroom up front as the AC A321s, the new AA birds have more. Which will you get? Roll the dice.

You can use the Admirals Club at YYZ with a $50 day pass if you need the lounge. Is the AC lounge worth the $300 fare differential?

As far as I know they are few & far between ;)

I use a Royal Bank Avion card. Most of the Canadian banks have something equivalent. These are airline independent cards.

I regret not having it any more but I use to have an Air Canada enRoute card. enRoute was taken over by Dinners Club many years ago and now is simply Dinners. Unfortunately BMO who issue Dinners Club in the us and Canada will not accept new applicants. These cards include access into business lounges at a very low cost.

There are also Aeroplan cards from CIBC, TD and AMEX.

----

As for paying a premium for Air Canada. Air Canada has a better product. The Maple Leaf Lounges are better than anything the US airlines have. The in flight food is going to be better.

Given the price difference I would rather fly American and use the $300 for a good meal either before or after the flight. If you get Pearson Terminal 3 early there is a nice restaurant in the Sheraton Hotel connected to the terminal (only draw back is it is before security). You take the escalator up and there is an overhead bridge that links to the hotel. So desert post security.

Quite a few totally irrelevant replies here, but Gardyloo as usual hit the nail on the head.

The value for "business class" or the equivalent of "domestic first class" is probably good for the AA price, but doubtful for most people for the AC flight. It doesn't sound like you are as interested in miles, points, credit cards, etc. as much as you are the perks of the flights in question. You get a wider seat, only two abreast and not three, the meal, the free luggage, and the priority check-in/screening. Are they essential? Of course not. But for what you get, there is certainly value. I would go for the cheaper one and don't look back!

Quite a few totally irrelevant replies here, but Gardyloo as usual hit the nail on the head.

The value for "business class" or the equivalent of "domestic first class" is probably good for the AA price, but doubtful for most people for the AC flight. It doesn't sound like you are as interested in miles, points, credit cards, etc. as much as you are the perks of the flights in question. You get a wider seat, only two abreast and not three, the meal, the free luggage, and the priority check-in/screening. Are they essential? Of course not. But for what you get, there is certainly value. I would go for the cheaper one and don't look back!

Good advice IMO. If the Admiral's Club is important than just buy a day pass. You also get 70 lbs for each piece of luggage and three a piece if that is important (I hope not)

Hi I fly "a lot"

Have a quick look at Seat Guru it will let you search by airline ,class flight etc.

Frankly business class in an airbus 321 or a refurbished 737-800 is going to be similar.

I have flown AA and AC and personally I think AC has the edge.

Can you fly direct with Westjet ?

Once you have done business class on an Emirates or Singapore Airlines A380 everything else pales into insignificance

Once you have done business class on an Emirates or Singapore Airlines A380 everything else pales into insignificance

Totally irrelevant comparison here since "business class" within North America doesn't compare to international business class. Though you would know that if you "fly alot."

I think the price difference is because Air Canada seems to charge you for a roundtrip even if you only want to go one way. I just did a mock booking for 1/14/16and it priced out as $609 whether I was booking one way or round trip ( I used 1/24/16 for the return). American prices each leg independently but it appears AC does not.

I think the price difference is because Air Canada seems to charge you for a roundtrip even if you only want to go one way. I just did a mock booking for 1/14/16and it priced out as $609 whether I was booking one way or round trip ( I used 1/24/16 for the return). American prices each leg independently but it appears AC does not.

Curious what were you pricing ?

Lowest Bus YYZ to MIA outbound is $794 for non stop

R/T is $1538

Tango class you can get r/t for under $600

You can book one way on AC ..I did just that in Nov

My bad...I didn't go far enough to realize that the fare I saw was indeed one way. In the words of Rozzannadanna...."nevermind":o

No problem

I was looking for BUS on my flights in the spring but sadly they are way too much $$

We will be economy :(