being left behind

babygoo

A couple times we have been watching from our balcony as they get ready to depart. Have seen people running as there getting the gang ready to pull. Once the ship was about 100 ft out from the dock and 2 people were running and the just standing there as ship continued. They must have been waiting for them as we were 1 hour late in leaving and could not wait any longer. We were heading on 2 sea days, then Princess Cays and back to FLL. not sure what happened to them after that but I would assume they flew back to FLL and waited for the ship to get there so they get their luggage. Another time we were waiting and a officer was handing what looked like passports and paper work to a princess rep. After the crew members got on board and we departed. A lot of times there are people running because there late. We are always on board at the latest 1 1/2 hours before we have to be. We were really tight once but it was on a Princess paid for tour. We were in traffic and the tour guide told us she was in touch with the ship and they would not leave without us.

Leaving pax behind in our experience has not happened often. We do like to be back on the ship at least one hour before we are told and stand at the railing watching the "pier runners". It does happen but most make it back in time. We left a newly wed couple in Cozumel which is a notorious port for leaving pax due to the heavy drinking that goes on. When they start making announcements "will xxxx in cabin xxx call Guest Services immediately", you know that some pax have not returned to the ship.

Best story though was when we were ready to leave Curacao, we were missing two pax so the captain waited 30 minutes until we had to leave. They showed up at the pier 30 minutes after we left so they had to fly to St Thomas our next port two days later. The ship was getting ready to leave St Thomas when the captain said we were missing two pax and he was going to wait for them. Just as we were about to leave a taxi came screaming up, both back doors flew open and out popped a couple who then ran to the ship. Yes, you guessed it. It was the same couple we left in Curacao! Next port was PR and the end of the cruise. Some people just do not learn.

The ship excursions to the Yucutan peninsula from Cozumel is notorious for returning late. We have done that excursion twice and both times arrived back at the pier after the last boarding time. One time we were 15 minutes late and the other time we were over 30 minutes late. The ship waited for us since we were on a ship sponsored tour and there were well over 100 of us. We have had dinner partners (TD) who took that trip and came back late. There are advantages to ship sponsored tours.

The ship's crew will enter the missing pax's cabin and retrieve passports and credit cards etc to give to the port agent for the missing pax. They look in the safe for the articles.

The ship excursions to the Yucutan peninsula from Cozumel is notorious for returning late. We have done that excursion twice and both times arrived back at the pier after the last boarding time. One time we were 15 minutes late and the other time we were over 30 minutes late. The ship waited for us since we were on a ship sponsored tour and there were well over 100 of us. We have had dinner partners (TD) who took that trip and came back late. There are advantages to ship sponsored tours.

The ship's crew will enter the missing pax's cabin and retrieve passports and credit cards etc to give to the port agent for the missing pax. They look in the safe for the articles.

We have had a similar experience in Cozumel. We were late arriving at the ferry and they held it for the sponsored excursion.

When you take alcohol out of the mix (and ship tours that arrive back late because they know they can) the number of people that miss the ship is very low.

Chances are probably something like 1 in a 1,000 for any given port. (just an educated guess given the total number of people on the ship and the total number of "late arrivers" I've counted in the past....)

Not something the cruise lines would like to publish, and since it doesn't generate big headlines, the ambulance chasers don't bother with it either.

Because ambulance chasers rely on contingency fees (a share of the recovery), and any recovery is very unlikely in most cases because of the fact that missing the ship is strictly the result of negligence on the part of the passengers, it isn't the lack of headlines which discourages their participation.

I swear they take the "slow boat to China" on this excursion. Many years ago my DH and I did this excursion. My DH was watching the time on his new underwater watch. We get out of the water and nobody around us is familiar.

We quickly change and head to the parking lot. We are an hour late getting to the parking lot. All 5 or 6 buses were gone. There was a Princess rep waiting for us. I guess he recognized us by the confused look on our face. He flagged us down a taxi. No, no, not that one. It has to be white. No, not that white one! Okay. We went like the wind to the ferry terminal. I can honestly say that was one of my most exciting drives ever. I'm sure there was a reason he didn't have a side mirror on the right side. Nor did his speedometer work. I left him an excellent tip on top of the tip. My brand new Canon camera in his trunk.

We get to the pier where the busloads of people get on the ferry and head back to the ship. The guy says something to us (not sure if it was Spanish or English) and then leaves. We're like.... ummm...... okay. So we try to get in line to buy tickets to get back to the ship. No, no, he says as he comes running back and takes us to this really nice ferry. TVs, you can buy drinks, cushy seats. We just hope that it is going to Cozumel.

Half way back we see the ferry that is taking back the Princess excursion people. We pass them. We leave them in our dust (okay wake). We see our ship! There it is! Wait, why are you passing it and going to the other ship? We get off. We aren't taking any chances. We grab a taxi and head to our ship. The taxi driver looks confused but off we go. He takes us a whole half mile back to our ship. We were literally in the cab less than 5 minuets. As we get out of the taxi the ferry we just got off pulls up. :rolleyes: We head back to the ship, drop off our stuff and just laugh at ourselves. Mental midgets.

We still have time to make a quick trip into town and the Princess excursion people are still not back or if they were we didn't see the ferry they were on.

We have never repeated that mistake again.

I swear they take the "slow boat to China" on this excursion. Many years ago my DH and I did this excursion. My DH was watching the time on his new underwater watch. We get out of the water and nobody around us is familiar.

We quickly change and head to the parking lot. We are an hour late getting to the parking lot. All 5 or 6 buses were gone. There was a Princess rep waiting for us. I guess he recognized us by the confused look on our face. He flagged us down a taxi. No, no, not that one. It has to be white. No, not that white one! Okay. We went like the wind to the ferry terminal. I can honestly say that was one of my most exciting drives ever. I'm sure there was a reason he didn't have a side mirror on the right side. Nor did his speedometer work. I left him an excellent tip on top of the tip. My brand new Canon camera in his trunk.

We get to the pier where the busloads of people get on the ferry and head back to the ship. The guy says something to us (not sure if it was Spanish or English) and then leaves. We're like.... ummm...... okay. So we try to get in line to buy tickets to get back to the ship. No, no, he says as he comes running back and takes us to this really nice ferry. TVs, you can buy drinks, cushy seats. We just hope that it is going to Cozumel.

Half way back we see the ferry that is taking back the Princess excursion people. We pass them. We leave them in our dust (okay wake). We see our ship! There it is! Wait, why are you passing it and going to the other ship? We get off. We aren't taking any chances. We grab a taxi and head to our ship. The taxi driver looks confused but off we go. He takes us a whole half mile back to our ship. We were literally in the cab less than 5 minuets. As we get out of the taxi the ferry we just got off pulls up. :rolleyes: We head back to the ship, drop off our stuff and just laugh at ourselves. Mental midgets.

We still have time to make a quick trip into town and the Princess excursion people are still not back or if they were we didn't see the ferry they were on.

We have never repeated that mistake again.

What a day you had. Glad you made it back to your ship.

"late to Board, ship sails without"

Let me raise my hand. Delta Airlines finally delivered us to the Los Angles airport at 5:00 PM and the ship sailed at 4:00 PM.

We met another couple at the Air Port that had the same experience with Delta.

Catching the ship at the Next Port was an adventure we will talk about for a long time. (Read: Our most excellant adventure, me missed the ship)

Bob

"late to Board, ship sails without"

Let me raise my hand. Delta Airlines finally delivered us to the Los Angles airport at 5:00 PM and the ship sailed at 4:00 PM.

We met another couple at the Air Port that had the same experience with Delta.

Catching the ship at the Next Port was an adventure we will talk about for a long time. (Read: Our most excellant adventure, me missed the ship)

Bob

We always fly to the embarkation ports 2 or 3 days before the cruise.

My sister and BIL were on a Princess excursion one time and the group was late getting back to the ship. The ship sailed and the excursion group did an at-sea transfer from boat-to-ship. Yikes!

PS. I wasn't on that cruise so my sister may have embellished things a bit :)

What a day you had. Glad you made it back to your ship.

I forgot to add. The guy that helped us at the ferry was also a Princess rep. Princess made sure someone helped us at each point which was pretty impressive. He was waiting for the taxi to drop us off. He came up to us and said whatever it was he said before he left. When he came back and got us out of the line he handed us our ferry tickets. We paid for the taxi but not the ferry.

When you take alcohol out of the mix (and ship tours that arrive back late because they know they can) the number of people that miss the ship is very low.

For missing the sailing at a port of call I'm inclined to agree. ;)

And those still in the mix after excluding alcohol-related will include folk who mis-remembered the back-on-board time, or at a change of time zone confused ship's time with local time or relied on the time shown on their phone/I-pad, or simply didn't allow wiggle-time for delays.

I have NEVER heard, thro Cruise Critic or anywhere else, and neither first-hand nor second-hand nor tenth-hand, of anyone on a private excursion missing a sailing. No doubt it's happened somewhere/sometime but you can be as confident as anyone can be that a tour operator will not allow you to miss a sailing.

JB :)

Chances are probably something like 1 in a 1,000 for any given port. (just an educated guess given the total number of people on the ship and the total number of "late arrivers" I've counted in the past....)

I would venture to guess the number is far fewer than that. With your figures there would be 2+ pax missing every ship at every port.

The ships computer systems and bridge log will have the stats - the number of souls on board when leaving a port is submitted to the local port authority upon departure and is one of the pieces of data kept for a very long time. When making initial communication with a harbour authority or mandatory reporting point, info given is ship's name, port of departure, destination, number souls on board, any dangerous cargo. ("Only the passengers").

That said, it's actually quite rare for pax to be left behind..on one trip from Grand Caymen we had two more souls on board than normal. What had happened is that two pax had missed their own ship (Carnival PartyShip) due to too much time in a bar, and Zuiderdam (a very nice ship) was heading to the same next port, so the pax "hitched a lift", and it cost them $500 each....cheaper than getting a flight!

VP

Edited to add: pax are sometimes referred to as SLF by the airlines.... SLF = Self Loading Freight :)

Edited by Vampire Parrot

I'm pretty sure that this is a time that I'd do a ship-sponsored tour instead of a "do it yerself" :eek: one. I understand that a reputable excursion tour company would do any/every thing in their control to get pax back to the ship on time. After all, this is their livelihood and reputation at stake.

Edited by Treven

Is there anyone out there that knows how to find out,

who the comedians will be for the up coming Carnival cruises.

I am sailing on Splendor in late Jan'16.. would like to find out who will be performing..Carnival was no help..told I would have to wait till I got on board.

Somebody has to know...lol :D