New mattresses on the Freedom absolutely hard as a rock!

We will be driving to our next cruise, which will be on the Anthem, so I think I will bring an egg crate just in case.

I am thinking this might be a money making opportunity for someone to get a truck and park near the cruise terminals. At one when the cabins open, we could each check our beds, then run off ship to buy egg crates if needed. Hmmm, wonder if there is a franchise possibility here?

I hope for everyone's comfort that here is an easy and cheap fix to this problem.

• 2 weeks later...
I agree the mattresses are very firm (hard as a rock). I spoke to the Hotel Manager on Navigator. He essentially said they are cheap and his budget did not cover better mattresses. I asked why they can't be as good as a large hotel chain, such as Hilton. He said Hilton doesn't charge $50 per night either. He was snippy and not receptive to complaints. I think they are aware and don't care

Margee

This is what bothers me most Margee! They don't seem to care at all and are unapologetic! Not what I'm used to from cruiselines. I totally agree the hotel manager was rude to say what he did to you. I am really not feeling the love from RCL lately.

Hi all, I'm the original poster of this thread and I just got off the Independence and wanted to report back as objectively as I could. After all, the reason for my original post was to make others aware of this change, as I was completely unaware and not prepared for an uncomfortable bed.

Also I admit I am hoping that someone at Royal will take notice of this thread, and hopefully do something to make their passengers more comfortable since there are a lot of people who agree that the beds are too hard. Yes, we all have our different preferences as to how firm or soft a mattress we prefer, and all will have to judge for themselves, but I think it's pretty obvious by the sheer number of people who have slept on the new mattresses that there is a problem that needs to be dealt with.

Having said that, I did take the advice of someone here after my experience on the Freedom, and e-mailed special needs to request a mattress topper. I received a reply with a confirmation that the mattress topper would be in place for our cruise on the Independence Jan. 16th. True to their word, the mattress did have the topper (not the egg crate). I am happy to report that for me, it was MUCH better. I cannot say it was as comfortable as their old beds, (again, my opinion) but it made a huge difference and I didn't have the back pain issues I had on the Freedom.

I have 2 more cruises booked this year and will definitely be emailing to request the topper. I will also be adding a link to this thread to my electronic comment card. Hopefully the powers that be will be listening. Happy cruising.

Hi all, I'm the original poster of this thread and I just got off the Independence and wanted to report back as objectively as I could...

I did take the advice of someone here after my experience on the Freedom, and e-mailed special needs to request a mattress topper. I received a reply with a confirmation that the mattress topper would be in place for our cruise on the Independence Jan. 16th. True to their word, the mattress did have the topper (not the egg crate). I am happy to report that for me, it was MUCH better. I cannot say it was as comfortable as their old beds, (again, my opinion) but it made a huge difference and I didn't have the back pain issues I had on the Freedom.

Happy cruising.

Thank you so much for the update! So glad that your bed this time was much improved.

We will email RCI for sure before our cruise (it's coming up oh-so-quickly now - only 9 weeks!) and ask for a topper. Will advise our friends who are traveling with us to do the same.

Hello Everyone,

I was really concerned when I saw this thread!

Hubby and I sailed IOS on 11/30/15 and like so many others here, felt so stiff & sore after the first night of "sleep." We didn't sleep because the bed was THAT firm! What a shame too after a long day of travel you want to have a restful sleep. Also, the anticipation of the cruise vacation only to be wishing for your own bed.

We asked the steward for a topper and he padded with extra duvets & blankets. The padding helped but was far from the comfortable bedding we have so long enjoyed on Royal. We considered this a fluke experience on Independence & now I'm concerned it may be the norm! [emoji35]

We are cruising on Monday on Enchantment & if the bed is ultra firm as it was on Independence, it will drive us away from Royal. We will become Emerald with this next cruise, but a restful sleep is that important to us! I think it is utterly ridiculous that passengers need to worry now about ultra firm & extremely uncomfortable beds & resort to bringing their own "softening" devices.

I feel bad for the cabin steward's that now must take time & effort to try & pad the beds. It's nonsense!

I really hope our experience with the bedding will be favorable on Enchantment. I'll be back next weekend to let you know.

There will not be 3 strikes on this matter for me!

Hi all, I'm the original poster of this thread and I just got off the Independence and wanted to report back as objectively as I could....

...Having said that, I did take the advice of someone here after my experience on the Freedom, and e-mailed special needs to request a mattress topper. I received a reply with a confirmation that the mattress topper would be in place for our cruise on the Independence Jan. 16th. True to their word, the mattress did have the topper (not the egg crate). I am happy to report that for me, it was MUCH better. .

Kudos to you for updating everyone on your experiences and kudos to Royal Caribbean for address the issue.

Interesting enough...there are also plenty of people who prefer a firm bed for back issues or other reasons...so there is no "one size fits all" answer for all passengers anyway...but it's nice to see you got a good solution.

Kudos to you for updating everyone on your experiences and kudos to Royal Caribbean for address the issue.

Interesting enough...there are also plenty of people who prefer a firm bed for back issues or other reasons...so there is no "one size fits all" answer for all passengers anyway...but it's nice to see you got a good solution.

It's easier to make a firm bed soft, than a soft bed firm.

Not to throw a monkey wrench into the conversation but I also was assured there would be a topper on my bed this past week on the Freedom -- after making the request by email. On board I was told that the mattresses are being replaced and the toppers are only used on the old beds to make them more comfortable. My mattress was new and my mom's in an adjoining room was old. She had a topper and I could not get one. Her bed was soft but kind of lumpy.

It was just too difficult to take the egg crates for 2 rooms so I decided to take my chances. The cabin steward did put a mattress pad under the sheet on my bed that helped a little. I like a softer mattress but did not have trouble sleeping like I was expecting after reading this thread.

When we got off the ship I noticed they were loading on more new mattresses:-)

Edited by mshight

We got off the Serenade last week; beds hard as a brick..

The gs had a pull out bed in the cabin next door that was a foam type one..Ask steward to let gs sleep on the sofa (he is 13 and little) said no can do...

Pillows were flat like pan cakes too. Had 3 and still couldn't make it to my liking

Glad I saw this post... too think I thought my aches and pains in the muscles were do to aging...lol

I bought this before XMAS when they had all sizes including CA King on sale for $29.99 http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-2275891/the-big-one-gel-memory-foam-mattress-topper.jsp?color=Blue. Since then, it's been around $50 to $60 though.

Kohls now has these on sale for $29.99 again today, all sizes. I just ordered a couple for us. And don't forget to look online for coupon codes! I was able to save an additional $20 on my order.

It folds in thirds and then fits in a compression bag, and then inside a duffle bag. I just measured the compression bag that we're storing it in and when it's not compressed, it's about 22" long by about 11" in diameter - like a big sausage. :) I compressed it and then put it inside a duffle bag where there was extra room if needed to pack jackets or other soft clothing items. The compression bag is like something that you'd store a sleeping bag in, and has straps that you cinch up to make it smaller.

Do you have a link to the compression bag you use as well? Thanks.

Do you think they are replacing the mattresses in the newly added deck 12 staterooms on Freedom? Seems wasteful to do so. I'm hoping for the older, comfy mattresses.

Pretty sure they were built with the new beds. Laura had one in a cabin that was added during drydock. Firm, but not unbearable

Kohls now has these on sale for $29.99 again today, all sizes. I just ordered a couple for us. And don't forget to look online for coupon codes! I was able to save an additional $20 on my order.

Do you have a link to the compression bag you use as well? Thanks.

Glad you saw they were on sale again and got them! I've looked everyone online for a bag like mine, but can't find anything exactly like it. I bought it several years ago at Academy Sports store. All I find for compression bags now is designed for sleeping bags and might work, but the straps on what I found are vertical while mine are horizontal. The key is really finding a soft-side duffle bag to roll it in and zip up to keep it from expanding more, I think. Good luck!

Edited by mareed

• 2 months later...

The day I feel the need to take a mattress topper with me on vacation is the day I move on. Hotel chains have done a great job of acquiring comfortable beds. I remember way back when cruiselines also took pride in their bedding. That seems to be going by the wayside.

On our 3-13-16 sailing on deck 6, we noticed the beds were very firm and not the comfy ones like we've had on the Allure for the past 7 years. I asked the attendant and she said they didn't have any egg crate, but she put two mattress pads on instead. It was doable, but not as comfortable as hotel beds. The hotel director said he was aware of the firmness or the beds and they were working on it.