Princess Survey about Formal Nights

ready2cruzagain

So when people are voting to keep Formal Night as it is, are they voting to keep it as it currently is in practice (where even tank-top guy sometimes gets in) or as the idealized version in the Princess description? Personally, I think the answers will be confused but If Princess interprets the results to mean people want a stricter version that is fine with me, there are other cruise lines I haven't yet tried. The revised HAL dress code looks reasonable to me, I'm quite happy with a jacket and tie standard.

We don't care about formal night. I dress up everyday for work so it's not that big of a deal to me, and would prefer NOT to have to dress up on vacation. That's one reason we've always enjoyed specialty dining on formal nights. However, our next cruise is on the Caribbean Princess, and recent reports say they are requiring formal dress in specialty venues even though Princess' official policy says it's not required. So on our next cruise we're taking formal wear so we're not turned away....but I'm not happy about it.

So when people are voting to keep Formal Night as it is, are they voting to keep it as it currently is in practice (where even tank-top guy sometimes gets in) or as the idealized version in the Princess description? Personally, I think the answers will be confused but If Princess interprets the results to mean people want a stricter version that is fine with me, there are other cruise lines I haven't yet tried. The revised HAL dress code looks reasonable to me, I'm quite happy with a jacket and tie standard.

I'm also wondering how many women voting to keep formal realize it's evening gown or Cocktail dress ONLY.

Wonder when they'll do away with a dress code, and turn MDR into another buffet?

Actually, the mass market cruise lines have been toying with that idea for a while now. Maintaining a memorable dining experience in the MDR is very expensive. What is happening is that many are reducing both service and kitchen staff in the MDRs rendering the dining experience marginally undesirable, while bolstering the cuisine quality and service levels in their specialty (extra charge) restaurants. Dining in the MDR on a formal night is sometimes a joke.

I'm also wondering how many women voting to keep formal realize it's evening gown or Cocktail dress ONLY.

Well, the extended description also adds "elegant pants suit." And unlike men's clothes, the definition of "gown" can vary widely. Men have a narrower definition of "suit and tie."

Actually, the mass market cruise lines have been toying with that idea for a while now. Maintaining a memorable dining experience in the MDR is very expensive. What is happening is that many are reducing both service and kitchen staff in the MDRs rendering the dining experience marginally undesirable, while bolstering the cuisine quality and service levels in their specialty (extra charge) restaurants. Dining in the MDR on a formal night is sometimes a joke.

How so? How would what one is wearing affect staffing?

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Another vote to keep formal nights (even though I didn't get a survey either :rolleyes:).

My DH and I dress for dinner every night. Our "smart casual" is equivalent to some passenger's definition of "formal". With the exception of the first and last nights, I would vote for formal every night.

When we want casual, we rent a condo in Hawaii. Dinner in the main dining room of the cruise ship is considered "fine dining". It's not the swim-up bar at the beach. It would be nice if others dressed accordingly. If one doesn't want to dress up, well then there are other options for one.

. Dinner in the main dining room of the cruise ship is considered "fine dining".

Lol. Chicken pot pie is fine dining? That's funny. MDR is no better than mass produced banquet food at best. Let's face it, the experience is not what it was 20 years ago when the MDR deserved formal night.

Lol. Chicken pot pie is fine dining? That's funny. MDR is no better than mass produced banquet food at best. Let's face it, the experience is not what it was 20 years ago when the MDR deserved formal night.

So true! That applies to all cruise lines that we go on such as Celebrity, RCI, NCL, HAL, Costa and MSC. Like I have posted about Celebrity which we just got off of. They have Pork and Beans, and Meatloaf. Their menu has been really cut back.

Wonder when they'll do away with a dress code, and turn MDR into another buffet?

Based upon what we see now, it is almost there with the exception of the shorts.

As for those who say, very few people stay sort of formal in the shows or around the ship on formal night. Not from what we saw on the Regal during our 2 weeks. It looked like many passengers just came in from the pool deck or from a tour.

If chicken pot pie is the only thing that one can find to order in the MDR, then one isn't reading the entire menu.

We are in favor of "Smart Casual" for the entire cruise with Optional Formal Dress on one night of a 7 day cruise. (one additional night for each additional 7 days of a cruise).

No shorts, tank tops, non-dress jeans, etc. at dinner in the MDR or specialty restaurants strictly enforced.

HAL specifically states that jackets are not required even on "Gala Nights".

From their website:

Q: Are a jacket and tie required for men?

A: Jacket and tie is the preferred attire in all fine dining restaurants on Gala Nights, though it is not required. Guests without a jacket and tie were allowed in the fine dining restaurants before the new wording so this is not a policy change.

HAL specifically states that jackets are not required even on "Gala Nights".

From their website:

Q: Are a jacket and tie required for men?

A: Jacket and tie is the preferred attire in all fine dining restaurants on Gala Nights, though it is not required. Guests without a jacket and tie were allowed in the fine dining restaurants before the new wording so this is not a policy change.

I was aware of that. I say it seems reasonable because they clearly state what is preferred and what will be allowed. Princess currently says one thing to please half the people and does something else to please the other half. It's a lot like their "no seat reserving" policy, it's there in name only.

I confess we are the people that offend many by not wearing a jacket to dinner. For us we would love the rules to relax and be shirt/tie for dinner and no jacket. Because of this rule we will eat dinner in the crown grill for one night and my husband in a shirt and tie will just have to be a rule breaker on the second formal night. I live in Vegas and I will not eat dinner at a buffets here and I am not going to on a cruise either.

I apparently think differently as I don't understand why people's enjoyment of a dinner or cruise is so closely tied to what others wear.

Because for some, cruising is more than just transportation between destinations. If I eat at Applebee's for dinner, I'm expecting a casual crowd of diners and atmosphere. But if I'm dining in a restaurant that has a stated standard of dress, i.e. suit and tie for gentlemen (yes, there are some where I live), I expect a more formal atmosphere and dining experience. Dining can be an experience or it can just be eating food. And I think that's what I'm hearing those who want a formal evening on the cruise saying. It's all about the experience. It's just not the same dining experience sitting at a table dressed up while the person next to you as well as half of the MDR is in a polo shirt, jeans or khakis or capris/sundress.

It's all about the experience. It's just not the same dining experience sitting at a table dressed up while the person next to you as well as half of the MDR is in a polo shirt, jeans or khakis or capris/sundress.

Why is your "experience" (everyone dressed up) more important than the "experience" desired by the 70% majority who do not want to dress up?

I confess we are the people that offend many by not wearing a jacket to dinner. For us we would love the rules to relax and be shirt/tie for dinner and no jacket. Because of this rule we will eat dinner in the crown grill for one night and my husband in a shirt and tie will just have to be a rule breaker on the second formal night. I live in Vegas and I will not eat dinner at a buffets here and I am not going to on a cruise either.

Not flaming you. If your husband wears a shirt and tie that is acceptable for many. However, many of the people on here are talking about the men who wear a short sleeve shirt, polo shirt, or more casual, etc., without the tie.

As long as a cruise lines allow whatever, people will push the limits. Remember, for some it is 'MEEEEEEEEEEEEE.'

As for the polls? Who is taking the survey, what is the base, etc. Just like they did the polling at Yale in regards to the 1st Amendment. LOL

Edited by Oxo

If chicken pot pie is the only thing that one can find to order in the MDR, then one isn't reading the entire menu.

If you think anything about the MDR is "fine dining" you have never been to a fine dining restaurant.

Edited by sonomaphil