Princess Survey about Formal Nights

ready2cruzagain

Wow! I just fugured it out. It's not about me, it's for and about my fellow cruisers.

Nobody cares if I want a few formal nights or no formal nights. But there are some of my fellow cruisers who enjoy a few nights of formality. So out of respect for them, I will either dress formally in the MDR, or I will eat elsewhere.

I was thinking of all the people who dress for the occasion to make my cruise special. The captain, the maitre d', the assistant waiters, the bar tenders etc. Gosh, once I stopped thinking about what I want and more of what some of fellow cruisers wanted, the answer was simple.

Anyway, thanks to whomever brought this topic up. I had an epiphany and I thank you for that.

Why should the desires for formal nights on the part of 30% of the passengers prevail over the wishes of the 70% who do not? Who should be sent to the buffet? The 30% minority? Or, the 70% majority?

There was a lot of "talk" on the celebrity boards of switching to Cunard when Chic came in. No idea if they did or not.

I don't know either. But their switching would be appropriate since they were the ones insisting that those who did not like formal nights could choose another line like Carnival.

BTW, there was also some talk about Canard relaxing their enforcement of the dress codes.

These changes are inevitable.

On my Princess cruises I would say about 90% of people in the public areas all evening were dressed up. They did not change after dinner into casual clothes. Now, some of those people could vote on a survey that a they don't want' formal night however they DO dress up for it inspite of their opinion. Somehow I doubt that only 30% of the people want formal night. I would say it is much higher.

Years ago when we cruised Carnival at first everyone stayed all dressed up for the evening. Near the end though (our last cruise was 2004) I did notice that people seemed to dress only for dinner. That seemed silly to me. When I started with Princess we went to Alaska. On that board people said formal night was less formal in Alaska (people of all cruise lines) so I told my dh to just wear a button down shirt with a tie. Boy was he out of place! Since then we have been on 5 more Princess cruises and on all people mostly were dressed up and stayed that way for the evening activities. I hope it stays that way.

Take a look at the signatures of people advocating keeping formal nights. They are full of "Trans Atlantic 2012" "17 day Panama Canal" "B2B Caribbean" "15 day Hawaiian" "34 day Round the Horn"....I know you think you're the typical cruiser but you are not. The younger crowd cruise lines crave are not you.

You will keep cruising anyhow. They need to attract the next generation of cruiser and they do not want formal nights. They are younger and more casual.

Edited by sonomaphil

Take a look at the signatures of people advocating keeping formal nights. They are full of "Trans Atlantic 2012" "17 day Panama Canal" "B2B Caribbean" "15 day Hawaiian" "34 day Round the Horn"....I know you think your the typical cruiser but you are not. The younger crowd cruise lines crave are not you.

You will keep cruising anyhow. They need to attract the next generation of cruiser and they do not want formal nights. They are younger and more casual.

I agree. It does appear to me that the days ahead for formal dress are limited on ships. At least as far as the majors go anyway. Dining on these boats will soon be similar to some of the high end resorts in Hawaii where even in the finest dining rooms folks dress like they just came off of the beach.

My guess is Cunard will be the last hold out of the majors. So look to Cunard, Crystal Cruises, Regent Seven Seas Cruises, Seabourn and Silver Seas Cruises if one wants to hold onto the romantic days of yore and some semblance of formal attire during gourmet meal times. http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=545

I agree. It does appear to me that the days ahead for formal dress are limited on ships. At least as far as the majors go anyway. Dining on these boats will soon be similar to some of the high end resorts in Hawaii where even in the finest dining rooms folks dress like they just came off of the beach.

My guess is Cunard will be the last hold out of the majors. So look to Cunard, Crystal Cruises, Regent Seven Seas Cruises, Seabourn and Silver Seas Cruises if one wants to hold onto the romantic days of yore and some semblance of formal attire during gourmet meal times. http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=545

So if and when Princess becomes exactly like every other "major", what would set it apart to make one choose it over the other cruise lines? Isn't the increased level of formality twice every seven days a nice, differentiating factor that adds to the decision making process? When all the cruise lines homogenize, isn't price the only factor left to drive decision making? And when that happens, won't Princess have to drive prices down in order to convince people to choose them? And if that happens, won't service suffer, along with the overall product with costs being cut at every turn? I like the fact that there is a difference in atmospherics between cruise lines that sets them apart and gives me something to choose between.

On my Princess cruises I would say about 90% of people in the public areas all evening were dressed up. They did not change after dinner into casual clothes. Now, some of those people could vote on a survey that a they don't want' formal night however they DO dress up for it inspite of their opinion. Somehow I doubt that only 30% of the people want formal night. I would say it is much higher.

You're confusing complying with the dress code with agreeing with the dress code. Sure, a large percentage complies with the code, but it is very obvious that most are only dressing up because they have to dine in the MDR.

Have you taken a look at the poll on Celebrity boards? Slightly less than 30% of those responding wanted to keep formal nights.

So if and when Princess becomes exactly like every other "major", what would set it apart to make one choose it over the other cruise lines? Isn't the increased level of formality twice every seven days a nice, differentiating factor that adds to the decision making process? When all the cruise lines homogenize, isn't price the only factor left to drive decision making? And when that happens, won't Princess have to drive prices down in order to convince people to choose them? And if that happens, won't service suffer, along with the overall product with costs being cut at every turn? I like the fact that there is a difference in atmospherics between cruise lines that sets them apart and gives me something to choose between.

I don't care if they drop them. I will still pick one or two nights and get dressed up because I like to. I never go ott formal, generally have to fly to cruise, but long black skirt sparkly top.

Six months ago when both HAL and Celebrity had formal nights, what set Princess apart then?

Perhaps, but that strategy means Princess would only appeal to 30% of the cruising public. A 30% that decreases every year as older cruisers retire from cruising.

I fail to see how formal nights set Princess apart nor how eliminating them make it homogenized. I seriously doubt anyone would choose a cruise line because of having to dress up twice. I would think some might not choose the cruise line because of having to. And yes, I know you don't "have to" dress up.

Isn't RCL different with its rock walls? Carnival with it's water slides? NCL with it's over the top neon? Disney because it's Disney?

I fail to see how formal nights set Princess apart nor how eliminating them make it homogenized.

Then you are tone deaf to the posts made here by people who want to keep Formal Nights. Quite simply, a slice of the cruising population wants Princess to keep them specifically because other lines are abolishing them. You may not agree with that sentiment. But your disagreement does not nullify its existence.

Edited by JimmyVWine

Then you are tone deaf to the posts made here by people who want to keep Formal Nights. Quite simply, a slice of the cruising population wants Princess to keep them specifically because other lines are abolishing them. You may not agree with that sentiment. But your disagreement does not nullify its existence.

The difficulty is that the gratification of this minority requires the unwilling participation of the majority, if said majority cares to eat dinner in their usual place, so the minority does not have to look at anything that displeases them.

Yet the Princess site says that the rules of formal night are imposed for everyone's enjoyment.

Edited by Wehwalt

Quite simply, a slice of the cruising population wants Princess to keep them specifically because other lines are abolishing them.

A slice...a very small slice. The cruisers here on CC are not your typical cruisers. They are the cruise fanatics. They will cruise even without formal nights. This is not who cruise lines are trying to attract by changing the policy.

Edited by sonomaphil

Well, as others point out there are some significant differences still, like Disney being set up like a Disney Land resort, etc. But I agree, there isn't all that much difference for the average cruise addict, the big ticket items for us our service levels, cuisine, tables for two, specialty restaurants, formal attire nights, shore excursions, size and quality of mini-suites, enrichment lecturer quality, maintenance of the ship and design thereof, to name a few. Supposing all are equal, then it is a toss up. We won't be tossing up though. Without formal nights we be looking to one of the others on the list I just posted. We already do Regent, so maybe take a look at the last remaining major, Cunard.

As far as the remarks concerning HAL, no formal nights really anymore there, plus the fact they are now well known as the "Ashtray of the Seas". Huge difference between them and the other majors due their allowance for balcony cigar smoking . We are over 200 days sailing total with HAL, four star Mariners and we have cut them off due smoking, regardless of their no dress up code.

The question is does Princess really feel it wants to stand alone in providing a more formal cruise experience when the majority of other lines have abandoned the idea? It's a gamble that only time will tell.

The survey went to folks in the Private Princess Community which seems to include a cross section of folks who have cruised once or twice to those who have many cruises under their belt. I began cruising back in the late 70's when you dressed up for dinner every night. A few cruises ago we decided to stop packing for formal nights and instead go to Horizon Court, Crown Grill, or if we are lucky enough to be cruising in a suite, we will order room service. We usually dress "smart casual" when wandering the ship on formal nights. We don't mind that Princess still has formal nights as we understand dressing up is important and enhances the cruise experience for many passengers. But since we don't participate in formal nights, we are just happy that we have other dining options.

Just remember that Cruise critic represents such a small part of the cruising public and I would be surprised if that percentage is over 10%.

I'd expect that formal night is far more popular among CCers, who are diehard cruisers, than among casual cruisers.