Butter Free at the Teppanyaki Restaurant?

JerseyMouseCruises

They would try and cook your food first I think.

We ate at one when a person was allergic to soy sauce and peanuts, (they used peanut butter in the fried rice) The chef cooked all her food first while we watched, then cleaned off the grill and started again, it took ages and more than a few drinks. Another time when the person could not eat onions and wanted to make sure the meal was gluten free! I am sure they can accommodate you, I would call ahead first though.

Edited by armwinder

I think it is likely that your meal will be cooked in a kitchen instead of on the teppanyaki grill.

We had some person who was allergic to soy - I don't know why anyone with a soy allergy would consider eating at Teppanyaki. As it turned out, they went ahead and ate the miso soup and the soy sauce and said they could actually have some. (???????????) Very confusing as food allergies usually cause anaphylaxis.

Edited by SuiteTraveler

You realize the concept of Teppanyaki right, they cook for everybody at the table while doing a little show, all at the same time. If you need a specially cooked meal.... I'm not going to say it I'll let someone else. [emoji6]

I'm sorry but this is ridiculous. NCL wants to please all of their customers even those with dietary needs and wants… Please don't judge.

I seriously doubt that they are using butter.

You would be wrong on that, they use a lot of butter.

IMO this is a family style meal and if you need special accommodations you should probably select a different venue to enjoy your meal so as not to inconvenience the other diners who are forced to eat with you.

Edited by zqvol

I was hoping they can do me some rice without the egg in it- does anyone have any experience of asking for this? I don't care about cross contamination as I'm not allergic, I just don't like egg (yes I know its weird. It does make my life difficult)

On my Alaska cruise on the Norwegian Sun, one of the people at the table didn't like eggs. He did all of the rice together, took hers out and added eggs to ours.

You realize the concept of Teppanyaki right, they cook for everybody at the table while doing a little show, all at the same time. If you need a specially cooked meal.... I'm not going to say it I'll let someone else. [emoji6]

Yeah. I feel the same. It's one thing if it's an allergy. Otherwise it's just selfish and disruptive to everyone else at the table.

Yeah. I feel the same. It's one thing if it's an allergy. Otherwise it's just selfish and disruptive to everyone else at the table.

Seriously? You are the one being selfish if you think about it.

I am glad NCL makes the rules. Not you. It took about 3 minutes for the chef to sauté off to the side in oil. Geez. My niece is not ALLERGIC to animal products but has made the choice to eat a plant based diet. For health. She is a straight A student at the Univ of Texas studying health and nutrition. She is not radical. She does not preach her lifestyle and she will sit across from me eating a steak.

On her 18th birthday and high school graduation cruise on the Jewel, Teppan-Yaki actually was one of the best restaurants for her and her diet. She had salad, steamed white rice, sautéed vegetables and tofu in oil. And fruit sashimi at the end. It was lovely. And my classy table mates were very enchanted with her. I doubt any of them felt their meal was disrupted, quite the opposite.

NCL has a lot of guests with different dietary concerns and from my experience they have handled it wonderfully. They care about all their guests.

Seriously? You are the one being selfish if you think about it.

I am glad NCL makes the rules. Not you. It took about 3 minutes for the chef to sauté off to the side in oil. Geez. My niece is not ALLERGIC to animal products but has made the choice to eat a plant based diet. For health. She is a straight A student at the Univ of Texas studying health and nutrition. She is not radical. She does not preach her lifestyle and she will sit across from me eating a steak.

On her 18th birthday and high school graduation cruise on the Jewel, Teppan-Yaki actually was one of the best restaurants for her and her diet. She had salad, steamed white rice, sautéed vegetables and tofu in oil. And fruit sashimi at the end. It was lovely. And my classy table mates were very enchanted with her. I doubt any of them felt their meal was disrupted, quite the opposite.

NCL has a lot of guests with different dietary concerns and from my experience they have handled it wonderfully. They care about all their guests.

So what does her academia have to do with manners. She will be disrupting the flow of dinner for everyone at her table. people try to be polite and don't say what they are thinking, which happened to you.

On my Alaska cruise on the Norwegian Sun, one of the people at the table didn't like eggs. He did all of the rice together, took hers out and added eggs to ours.

Awesome thank you- I've seen pictures of them cooking the rice and it looked like they could do that without too much hassle! But nice to get the conformation.

To the 'if you don't like any element of the meal you shouldn't be allow to eat there' brigade, if the request is easy to accommodate and they are willing to do it then what's the issue? I love Japanese food but hate eggs. I would just not eat the rice of they made it with eggs, rather than missing out on the meal completely. I do hope that wouldn't be a massive inconvenience to my table mates :rolleyes: