1st time RC!,leaving 14 days.Have questions :)

Hi, okay, I think I found the right place to post now. Thanks everyone for your guidance and help. Once again, 1st time cruising. Leaving in 14 days. Here are the questions I have. Here are the details of my cruise. Any questions you can answer, thank you in advance.

Independence of the Seas

RCI, 5 nights Belize, Cozumel

Superior Balcony Room D3

1. Better to buy drink packages, Internet, Dining packages before we get there or wait till on board? Do they ever discount the packages once on board?

2.Do you recommend to bring extension cord for cabins? Enough plugs? Close to bed?

3. Will a 30 inch suitcase be too big or should I stick with 25 inch? is there enough room for 30 inch in the cabin?

4. Any other recommendations what to bring from home so we don't have to buy it on ship?

5. Are the rooms updated or outdated?

I have read about some people encountering package discounts when aboard the ships but I have never experienced that. If you have any on board credit it is good to purchase while on the ship as you can apply the credit, If you buy ahead of time you pay upfront when you make the purchase.

Extension cords are not allowed by RCI. As many times as I have been on Indy I can't remember if there is an outlet near the beds.

If you open up your suit case you should be able to slide it under the bed for storage.

I don't know what your idea of an outdated room is but I think they are just fine on Indy.

1. Better to buy drink packages, internet, dining packages before we get there or wait till on board? Do they ever discount the packages once on board?

either way... Some people like to buy it ahead of time so when you get on the ship you can go straight to the bar, others like to wait to apply it to the obc. Chances of a discount on board is slim

2.do you recommend to bring extension cord for cabins? Enough plugs? Close to bed?

most people buy a little 3 way

3. Will a 30 inch suitcase be too big or should i stick with 25 inch? Is there enough room for 30 inch in the cabin?

luggage is stored under the bed, so size is optional

4. Any other recommendations what to bring from home so we don't have to buy it on ship?

sunscreen!!

5. Are the rooms updated or outdated?

162559086_615t72m8vL._SL1500_(1).jpg.7f594e706f1c8e0967a7e436aa24c198.jpg

Edited by LilBlackDress

There are no easy outlets by the bed...the outlet is on the vanity....if you need something electric by the bed, bring an extension cord.

Suitcases will fit under the bed...lift the bed frame if it won't slide under.

Pretty much anything you buy on the ship will be much more expensive than bringing from home.....

Edited by cb at sea

Hi skygirl, not been on Indy for a few years, I can say though that even on the older ships they try and keep the cabins fresh and up to date, on the last few cruises we have been on we've noticed that they've done discounts on speciality dining by booking 2 or 3 restaurants, recently on Explorer they had a deal to dine at Chops, Giovannis and Izumi.

Also, we did not see any internet discounts on day one but as the days go on they seemed to offer some discounts, they don't advertise them but when you attempt to log on the front page usually has the prices.

Hope this helps.

The Belkin is one of the things we always need because of the lack of plugs. I don't have a photo of the outlets on the Indy, but here is our Belkin in use on our last cruise on Oasis.

The Belkin in service with three device chargers and a night light. I always bring this little blue led night light that is not overpowering in the cabin.

23157240676_98e262fef3_c.jpg

By the way, we had a great time on the zip line and cave tube excursion in Belize.

Enjoy your cruise.

They usually have two American outlets and one European outlet. I've been known to use all three, since can use an adapter/converter combination. We also use the Belkin plug. But I stick it in the drawer when I leave the room.

I say no to pre-booking except the shore excursions (any left over shore excursions should be booked on day 1 while you're waiting to get into your room. I've found that some of the shore excursions are gone by the time I get onboard. For specialty dining, we wait until we get onboard, and have tried the 3 specialty dinner promotion. We also book our dining on day one before the times fill up. Ask them which nights are formal night, because the food is better in the main dining room on formal night. It was $65 on our Snowbird Migration last October, and $70 on the next cruise. (We took a b2b.) Once they had a three dinner special that involved a buffet at Izumi's, then Chops and Giovannes. And sometimes, they offer a package that includes the Chef's table. We loved the Chef's table on Princess, but haven't tried it on Royal Caribbean.

Unless you plan to drink so much you're never sober, I'd suggest buying the drinks as needed. I think a dinner cocktail each night is way cheaper than the $55 to $65 per day for the package. But some people prefer the soda package. You will get invited to the Welcome Aboard reception, and the Captain's Dinner (I think), and you should be able to get some free drinks there. We've been known to ask for soda. You may want to consider budgeting for coffee, if you're a coffee drinker, because the coffee onboard is NASTY, and I meant to use all caps. Even the coffee in our Junior Suite (which has a walk-in closet) was horrid.

Unless you need to print out a boarding pass for your flight, I wouldn't buy any internet. It's terribly slow, akin to dial-up. Bring your tablet w/ you into the port, and find some internet there. We even had some internet on one of our tour buses.

Depending on your stateroom, you may wish to add some toiletries to your bag. We've been staying in Junior Suites, and get a nice selection, but I still remember one bar of soap and the shower dispenser containing mystery gel in the inside staterooms. Don't know about the balcony rooms.

Be sure to take some pens and a pad of paper. Also, magnets to stick your invitations, compasses, etc to the wall.

We like to go into our cruise detail page at RoyalCaribbean.com, and print out a copy of the cruise calendar. Then write our dinner reservations on the calendar, and attach it to the wall with the aforementioned magnets.

They have a lot of luggage to go through on day 1, so don't worry, it's usually there between Muster Drill and dinner. Be sure to put your paperwork, valuables, medicine and change of clothes in your carry-on.

Don't take a power strip, because then they may send you to the naughty room.

Be sure to pack sunblock and insect repellent.

Second vote for the ice show. And pick up your tickets on day 1.

Edited by knittinggirl

The washroom space in cabins can be small, something I like to do is buy a cheap, over the door shoe holder, the plastic kind. We hang this over the washroom door and it easily fits things like toothpaste, hair products, shaving cream and other toiletries, saving valuable space.

A small air freshener is a good idea for that tiny washroom as well.

Earplugs in case your hallway is noisy, and a small night light, particularly if you have an inside room.

Download a noise machine app to your phone as well, the kind that plays rain, or ocean sounds....in case of noise.

Bring a couple of bottles of wine with you, you are allowed 2 per cabin I believe (you will want to check that) and it will save you a bit of money if you like wine.

Have fun!

We always take the following:

Duct tape--never know if you need it.

The outlet extender like others mentioned

Command hooks-to hang wet clothing on to dry

Extra hangars-there are 4 of us

Ziplock bags of all sizes. They make one that is huge that fits a backpack in it. We use those to keep our beach bag dry and sand/bug free on beach days

Trash bags for dirty clothes

Bug spray

Sunscreen

Seasick meds just in case

Peroxide

Have fun.

Ziplock bags of all sizes. They make one that is huge that fits a backpack in it. We use those to keep our beach bag dry and sand/bug free on beach days

Bug spray

Sunscreen

Peroxide

Have fun.

As in Peroxide for cleaning cuts in first aid?

No longer recommended as it actually kills the flesh around the wound therefore it won't get infected. Increases scarring too.

There are better alternatives.

Edited by squiffynimrod

I always pack a 3 day supply of clothes in my carry on just in case the main luggage is delayed or goes astray. For 5 days, a 30" is quite large, I normally go with a 25 " + carry on. Unless you drink a lot, i wouldn't buy the drink package. My husband drinks only beer so I did buy the package before we left and it was helpful. If you only have a drink occasionally then no. Anything thing you wish with you upon boarding like cameras, swimming attire etc pack in carry on.

Edited by Desert Cruizers

Bug spray

Sunscreen

Peroxide

Have fun.

Your cabin steward will bring you as many extra hangers as you could possibly wish.

(there are plenty of them on board from all of the people who bring their own and then leave them behind! ;) )

On this question about luggage, the thickness of the suitcase is more an issue than the length. The suitcases are stored under the bed and you may need to lift the bed up to slide the thicker suitcases under the bed. If you need to access the suitcase during the cruise, this can be irritating. As a general rule take the smaller suitcase because you probably won't use half of the stuff you packed.

Even if I do a 14 day cruise, i have not used the larger suitcase and after our extended cruise a year ago of 54 days, I really cut back on our recent cruise.

Skygirl this is only a suggestion but for only a 5 day cruise, you could bring 2/3 slacks or 2 slacks and a skirt & blouse. Whatever I wear to board the ship I wear off the ship to cut back on the amount I bring. Shoes are up to you and what you will wear mostly and for dinner, but again I try and keep it down to 2 evening shoes rest casual/Tennis shoes for the day.