"Warning" for those travelling with kids-deadbolt doesn't work

JohnBoy in NC

After reading this, a lot of us will probably be checking out those deadbolt locks on our next cruise. :D

It would be pointless to have them at all (whether traveling with or without kids) if anyone with a key card for the room can open the door when they are locked.

We had a similar experience on our last cruise aboard the infinity. We were travelling with our 19 and 21 year old and they had the room next door. We always get an extra key to each room so we can go back and forth with ease. One afternoon my husband and I turned the dead bolt only to have our daughter enter our room. She will probably need therapy for a few more years... Good lesson for us I suppose. A lesson we have tried to share with others. We have recovered but my poor daughter! LOL

After reading this, a lot of us will probably be checking out those deadbolt locks on our next cruise. :D

It would be pointless to have them at all (whether traveling with or without kids) if anyone with a key card for the room can open the door when they are locked.

I can confirm that the op is correct (At least on the silhouette). We tested it last week and it opended right up with the deadbolt locked with the room key.

I have no idea why they even have them on the door, unless it is just the illusion of safety.

They are not deadbolts at all. Ever hear any noise of any mechanism engaging when used?

All they do is make the key reader indicate by light that the room is occupied. So when engaged, a housekeeper would see a yellow instead of green light, and realize not to enter. Reading this thread, I think it may also require a second swipe of a card to open the door as some have mentioned.

Bottom line, it's an indicator, not a deadbolt.

They are not deadbolts at all. Ever hear any noise of any mechanism engaging when used?

All they do is make the key reader indicate by light that the room is occupied. So when engaged, a housekeeper would see a yellow instead of green light, and realize not to enter. Reading this thread, I think it may also require a second swipe of a card to open the door as some have mentioned.

Are you sure about the indicator light? I have never noticed a light. I will confirm next month.

This is not true in all cases. When you engage the deadbolt while the door is open the deadbolt slides out. I've done it many times on cruises, especially on the last night when putting out luggage. I'll engage the deadbolt so I don't get locked out of the room and it basically just keeps the door proped open.

In my 15 cruises I have never ever seen a security camera over my balcony. :rolleyes:

We also use the balcony for fun at night. :D

They are spread out down the side of ship, not at every balcony, but they definitely see onto many balconies, though most if you stay closer to the cabin and not rail, they can't peer in - exception being the cabins on humps

Especially people on the HUMPS, Also, the RS and PH on S class have them since they are on the bumps.