"Warning" for those travelling with kids-deadbolt doesn't work

JohnBoy in NC

This happened to our friends sailing on the Connie last week. Not sure if this is the case for all cruiselines/ships--but the deadbolt doesn't work like you think it would. Sailpass key will open the door even if you have deadbolt engaged. I guess this is a security feature but I would think only ship staff could have this capability and not everyone in your traveling party.

Let's just say our friends were very occupied at the time when one of their boys opened the door and barged in. He will be ok after some therapy. :)

After hearing about this we locked our deadbolt and I used my sailpass card and sure enough it opened the door as normal. SO I just thought this bit of information may benefit other couples traveling with kids.

Cheers!

JohnBoy in NC

That's really strange! :confused: We were on Millie a few years ago, and our cabin door had a rather "loose" deadbolt. DH and I had run back to the room right before we were due to meet our shore excursion group -- when, guess what? Yep! The deadbolt had slipped, and we were stuck in the hall, locked out of our cabin. Our cabin steward even tried his "pass" key -- no luck. He called security, and they had to send an officer with a master key -- a metal key, not a mag-strip card. After opening the door for us, he sent someone from maintenance to take a look at the dead-bolt, so that it didn't happen again. :cool:

Edited by wwcruisers

I was on the Equinox in November and had the deadbolt engaged and our son was able to use his sea pass card to open the door. He said he had to swipe it twice as it didn't open the first time but did on the second time.

I would be concerned about this simply because we value our privacy and assume that when the door is locked, it will remain that way. I would be very upset if a cabin attendant or anyone else were to walk in on us while we were enjoying some private time. We try to remember to use the "Do not disturb" card but have forgotten on occasion.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

That's the important lesson here - deadbolts don't always work and more importantly, people need to use their "Do Not Disturb/Please make up my room" cards EVERY DAY and NIGHT.

We learned this a long time ago. The cabin stewards really, really appreciate knowing when you've left your room so they don't disturb you. Communication is key. They don't want to catch you in the act or half-dressed, since their pass key will over-ride the deadbolt. :eek:

That's the important lesson here - deadbolts don't always work and more importantly, people need to use their "Do Not Disturb/Please make up my room" cards EVERY DAY and NIGHT.

The signage would not stop your own children entering the cabin, which is what happened in the OP's (friends') case ;). Hence them using the deadbolt.

Edited by villauk

If memory serves me correctly, don't the cabin doors also have a lever over catch (similar to a chain concept) to keep someone from opening the door more than a couple of inches when engaged?

I think I know what you are referencing. We've been now gone X C-class ships, M-class and S-class ships, and have never had a cabin door with this feature.

The room attendents/room service cannot access the room when the deadbolt is on. The passengers room cards can open the door with the deadbolt on. If someone is alone and takes a shower only an individual occupying the room can enter. Of course the Security Officers and Head Housekeepers have the master key that will work to be used in emergencies.

If memory serves me correctly, don't the cabin doors also have a lever over catch (similar to a chain concept) to keep someone from opening the door more than a couple of inches when engaged?

Nope. Just checked photos from 2 S class ships and one M class ship and none of the doors had a slide, lever or chain lock. Just had the regular door latch "deadbolt"

We learned this a long time ago. The cabin stewards really, really appreciate knowing when you've left your room so they don't disturb you. Communication is key. They don't want to catch you in the act or half-dressed, since their pass key will over-ride the deadbolt. :eek:

I would dearly love it if Celebrity had Please Make Up the Room door hangers. Alas, they do not. I hate it when my room is not made up while I'm at breakfast.

I would dearly love it if Celebrity had Please Make Up the Room door hangers. Alas, they do not. I hate it when my room is not made up while I'm at breakfast.

Hi Linda -- I totally agree! Early on, our RC room stewards educated us in the proper use of the card -- and it served us well, over the years. I really feel badly for the room stewards on X, with so many folks using select dining. They used to ask whether you had first or second seating -- so they would know when to schedule your turn-down service. Now, we try to let our butler or room steward know about what time we'll be dining, ahead of time. Now, if I could only remember to put out the "DND" card, so we can sleep-in on sea days! :p

Huh ???

Something Royal has over Celebrity, I can't believe this.

Royal has cards (same size as your Sea Pass card) the say "Do Not Disturb" on one side and "Please Make Up Room" on the other. When you leave your stateroom, just put the card in the slot with the "Please Make Up Room" side facing out so your cabin steward knows your away (or vice versa).

I might make my own to take along - the cabin steward might appreciate it (or think I've gone, uh, muy loco).

I would be concerned about this simply because we value our privacy and assume that when the door is locked, it will remain that way. I would be very upset if a cabin attendant or anyone else were to walk in on us while we were enjoying some private time. We try to remember to use the "Do not disturb" card but have forgotten on occasion.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

Put a sock on the door :D

The room attendents/room service cannot access the room when the deadbolt is on. The passengers room cards can open the door with the deadbolt on. If someone is alone and takes a shower only an individual occupying the room can enter. Of course the Security Officers and Head Housekeepers have the master key that will work to be used in emergencies.

That's not true.

We had a really bad room steward once (and only once , thank goodness, in 45 years of cruising) and among the other problems was that he decided he needed to enter our room when not only was the deadbolt on but the Do Not Disturb sign was out. I was alone in the room and in the shower! :eek:

...Royal has cards (same size as your Sea Pass card) the say "Do Not Disturb" on one side and "Please Make Up Room" on the other. When you leave your stateroom, just put the card in the slot with the "Please Make Up Room" side facing out so your cabin steward knows your away (or vice versa)....

We were on one cruise with a group of teenagers who occupied much of their time going up and down the hallways reversing all of the tags hanging on the doors. Lots of unhappy people until the kids were finally tracked down.

Our first cruise was a Family Oceanview on RCIs Freedom. After checking all the kids into their activities for the day we rushed back to the room for some "quiet time".

About 45 minutes later one of our oldest comes right into the room past the deadbolt and all. Grateful it was 45 minutes later and not 30 minutes later or it might have been a different story.... Anyway, that's how we found the deadbolts don't keep the kids out.

-Sean