Celebrity Equinox bedbugs?

Moosician

Just returned from an 11 day cruise on the Equinox and got more than I paid for! I'm convinced that the bugs stowed away in my luggage when the suitcase was stored with everyone else's baggage overnight the evening before we disembarked. Will NEVER do that again!!! Woke up a day or two later with bites . Never experienced anything like this in my life. The time, stress and cost to deal with it is overwhelming.

Just returned from an 11 day cruise on the Equinox and got more than I paid for! I'm convinced that the bugs stowed away in my luggage when the suitcase was stored with everyone else's baggage overnight the evening before we disembarked. Will NEVER do that again!!! Woke up a day or two later with bites . Never experienced anything like this in my life. The time, stress and cost to deal with it is overwhelming.

Question Did you overnight somewhere before or after the cruise ?

I suppose this type of thing can happen most anywhere...the baggage area of an airplane, on the baggage carts going to/from the ship....or is it possible that while you were away, something got into your home...that' has happened to us with mice and some other bugs and then there are allergies.

I don't think I'd blame it on Celebrity, the Equinox or the other passengers

What was your stateroom? Creepy...we board Jan 2nd

We trvl with bed bug spray, fully inspet bedding and wrap suitcases in plastic dry cleaner bags..

Would not want to bring critters home! Had terrible bites (confirmed) from a major 5 star hotel....luckily critters stayed there

Edited by hcat

What was your stateroom? Creepy...we board Jan 2nd

We trvl with bed bug spray, fully inspet bedding and wrap suitcases in plastic dry cleaner bags..

Would not want to bring critters home! Had terrible bites (confirmed) from a major 5 star hotel....luckily critters stayed there

We just left that same cruise...deck 8...it was the cleanest cabin we've ever had on a ship. I wouldn't worry about bugs...but of course I would wipe down the phone, the tv remote...the usual things.

We just left that same cruise...deck 8...it was the cleanest cabin we've ever had on a ship. I wouldn't worry about bugs...but of course I would wipe down the phone, the tv remote...the usual things.

I always put the remote in a ziplock baggie and will work, even in the baggie. :)

If indeed you have SEEN the bedbugs at home you're right...the cost is very expensive to treat.

If you have no evidence of actual bugs it could also be a result of "no-seeum" bugs in the Caribbean...which bite and the bite looks like a bedbug bite....

Bedbugs can be found by looking in the seams of the mattress, looking at top of box spring or by seeing small dot like dark spots on a mattress, which is actually dried blood from their biting....they can also be found in carpeting.....

Hopefully you didn't bring bed bugs home with you...:eek:

This caught my eye as I've been checking for bedbugs every place I stay in a hotel or a ship. There is a website: bedbugregistry dot com. Go there should you suspect. I check that site out before I book a hotel room. Sometimes I've stayed at hotels that had infestations. That doesn't mean your room will have them. Things to do when entering your cabin or hotel room:

- Turn on all lights.

- Set luggage in bathroom. Wrap in plastic bag if possible.

- Inspect bedding by pulling up fitted sheet and mattress.

- Inspect under mattress, piping around edges, and sheets.

- Inspect pillows.

- Look behind headboard if you can.

- Use your mobile phone as a flashlight or bring a flashlight.

- Bedbugs do not like light so they move.

- Bedbugs are small, like black sesame seeds.

- Look for blood stains.

That site that I mentioned above has links to helpful information for the traveler. An earlier poster mentioned chiggers and sand fleas. Both can make a very itchy situation as well. I understand that bedbug bites are predominately around the torso. I would think chiggers and sand fleas bites would likely be around legs and ankles. Hope this helps.

Certainly have empathy but the likelihood of getting bed bugs inside you luggage from storage of bags overnight with other closed bags is extremely remote. Similarly remote is the change of bed bugs surviving on your luggage in the freezing hold of an airplane. Much more likely to have come from sand fleas or similar on or near a beach during the last day or two of your cruise. It takes 2 or 3 days for the bugs to be noticeable.